PDA

View Full Version : Junior High Baseball

coachkiss
02-15-2008, 03:06 PM
I know this is done in other states, but I wonder why it is not done in Texas.

Why do you think there isn't Jr. High Baseball (maybe there is and I don't know about it)? Is it field availability, money, track conflicts?

What do you think it would take to start a Jr. High Baseball League in Texas, much like Powerlifting started its own organization?

Would you be behind it? Why or why not? Is your town a baseball town?

I'm just curious, so thanks in advance.

pirate4state
02-15-2008, 03:51 PM
Probably $$

I know our junior high coaches are busy with track at the jr high & HS level and/or helping with HS baseball/softball.

coachkiss
02-15-2008, 04:09 PM
If you pitched it right, I think coaches would go for it. I'm not saying that this happens all of the time, but I think coaches would want to keep a closer eye on their upcoming pitchers than having them spread throughout many select teams.

Every other HS major sport (if you can call baseball major in Texas -- and I think you can) has a Jr. High feeder program. However, baseball doesn't. Other states have it, so I don't know what the problem is.

Obviously, USSSA and Super Series would be against it, because the level of play in the 13U and 14U age groups would suffer, and the tournament entries from Texas would drop during March, April, and May.

Has Texas ever had this?

LH Panther Mom
02-15-2008, 04:28 PM
We have Little League for JH kids. (Or Pony, or whatever that level is.....) I know we have "some" kids in select, but a big part are not. Our JH coaches are working with track, golf & tennis. The funding for 4 or 5 additional coaches would not be feasible, IMO.

Maybe you should pitch the idea to the THSCA and/or UIL. :)

pirate4state
02-15-2008, 04:29 PM
A closer eye on upcoming pitchers? I think with the new pitch count rules they really don't need to worry about over use. Mechanics can & will always be retooled once a kid gets a new coach.

With as big a deal as baseball is in Sinton, it is my opinion that a jr high baseball program is not needed and like I said before most schools won't have the $$ to get extra bodies.

Is it a good idea? I'm sure it couldn't hurt anything. I don't think it's ever been done in Texas, but don't hold me to anything.

AP Panther Fan
02-15-2008, 04:30 PM
Probably not a good answer, but Little League and Senior League baseball seem to offer a means for preparing the younger kids for high school baseball. Little League is "big" in our area for the boys.

The disparity seems to be apparent though in the girls softball. Possibly just in our area, but Little League softball teams don't compete or compare well with the ASA (fastpitch) leagues. The rules are far different.

kaorder1999
02-15-2008, 04:37 PM
Dallas ISD has baseball, soccer and softball for 7th and 8th grade

LH Panther Mom
02-15-2008, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
Dallas ISD has baseball, soccer and softball for 7th and 8th grade
And there's the answer......enroll your kids in one of the DISD schools. :D

kaorder1999
02-15-2008, 04:38 PM
im a firm believer that there should only be Football, Basketball and Track for guys and Volleyball, Basketball and track for girls!!!

pirate4state
02-15-2008, 04:39 PM
im a firm believer that there should only be Football, Basketball and Track for guys and Volleyball, Basketball and track for girls!!! YOU WOULD!!! :mad: :D :mad:

LH Panther Mom
02-15-2008, 04:41 PM
im a firm believer that there should only be Football, Basketball and Track for guys and Volleyball, Basketball and track for girls!!!
We have a LOT of kids in Cross Country. :p

buff4life
02-15-2008, 05:08 PM
unlike other optimist sports or atleast basketball and football...these sports cut off at the community level at 6th grade and allow the junior high to operate these but little league continues at big popularity level until up to high school

BobcatBenny
02-15-2008, 05:17 PM
I'm also guessing there are plenty of league opportunities for baseball in most communities.

Soccer as well.

So why increase the tax based school budget when there is already a viable alternative.

Just my opinion.

nobogey72
02-15-2008, 05:54 PM
We have Junior High baseball at Wylie. The downside to it is that it takes kids away from our Fencing, Lacrosse, and Equestion teams.:D :D

Necks_Fan
02-15-2008, 06:46 PM
I think the biggest thing is they already have pee-wee leagues that are successful so why change? I have often wondered why they didn't just start out with school jr high leagues instead but i don't really know why.

coachkiss
02-15-2008, 06:59 PM
Thanks for the comments and feedback.

There are viable options at the junior high level in baseball in most communities, but there would be for basketball as well if they didn't do that in the junior highs.

kepdawg
02-15-2008, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by coachkiss
Thanks for the comments and feedback.

There are viable options at the junior high level in baseball in most communities, but there would be for basketball as well if they didn't do that in the junior highs.

i see a lot more options for baseball than i do for basketball prior to them being offered in school.

maestro
02-16-2008, 10:12 AM
i'm always reading about how certain hoops players make it big time....and the announcer always says....

and he did not pick up organized basketball until he was 13-14....

many communities in Texas...that's when basketball begins....at the j.h. level.......

but other states really do push basketball skills and drills earlier...

nothing beats baseball development in Texas as far as the summer youth leagues....i'd love to see more communities show that interest in youth basketball as well.

FrmSTx
02-16-2008, 05:38 PM

as do i...haha

Matthew328
02-16-2008, 06:08 PM
I've never heard of middle school baseball...interesting DISD has it

jimmyceatworld
02-16-2008, 09:03 PM
I don't how possible it would be for us to have jh baseball. Among other things we only have 4 junior high coaches and just a couple of years ago when I was in 7th and 8th grade we only had 2. Yes 2 coaches for two entire grades for all jh sports. It was a blast.