PDA

View Full Version : Stephenville coaching job

SNYDER325TIGERS
02-14-2008, 09:36 PM
I wasn't aware the Coach Rogers had submitted an application for this job.

Anyone know who else applied?

VWG
02-14-2008, 09:42 PM
Pride- WF High
Ponder- WF Rider
Slaughter- Glen Rose
there was another candidate that interviewed but can't remember

Matthew328
02-14-2008, 09:51 PM
Gillespie who I think was DC and he got the job

Black_Magic
02-14-2008, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by SNYDER325TIGERS
I wasn't aware the Coach Rogers had submitted an application for this job.

Anyone know who else applied? He didnt . They called Him to see if he would come to interview.

VWG
02-14-2008, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
Gillespie who I think was DC and he got the job

I thought Slaughter got the 'Ville job? Was there under Briles during their run, etc...

GreenMonster
02-14-2008, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by Black_Magic
He didnt . They called Him to see if he would come to interview. I'm pretty sure that is the case with all of the candidates. List was very short and was by invitation only, I've been told.

Buccaneer
02-14-2008, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by VWG
I thought Slaughter got the 'Ville job? Was there under Briles during their run, etc...

http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=78441&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

SNYDER325TIGERS
02-15-2008, 12:42 AM
He didnt . They called Him to see if he would come to interview.

O I see, well the Snyder Daily News had "Did Coach Rogers submit an application for the Stephenville coaching job" and it said yes in the ask us thing...but I was just wondering....those news paper people don't ever get anything right half the time.

http://i32.tinypic.com/dyrwcm.jpg

SNYDER325TIGERS
02-15-2008, 12:52 AM

SWMustang
02-15-2008, 02:30 AM
oh! snyder325tigers burned BM's Arse on that one!!!!! WTG!!!

Black_Magic
02-15-2008, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by SNYDER325TIGERS
O I see, well the Snyder Daily News had "Did Coach Rogers submit an application for the Stephenville coaching job" and it said yes in the ask us thing...but I was just wondering....those news paper people don't ever get anything right half the time.

http://i32.tinypic.com/dyrwcm.jpg Well in this case the news paper didnt get it right. It happens quite a bit . not all the time but in this particular case they got it wrong. He would not have even had time to submit one anyway. they contacted him the next day after the job opened.. Im sure they called most of those interviewed. all were succesfull coaches. and it happened all in a span of 7-8 days from the time the Stephenville coach resigned till they hired a replacement. Snyder has been to the Semifinals 2 out of 4 years. That may attract some folks looking for a coach. Im sure It will not be the last to call either.

How is coach Jacksons search going? BTW SWMustang?;)

DU_stud04
02-15-2008, 06:15 PM
Well in this case the news paper didnt get it right. It happens quite a bit . not all the time but in this particular case they got it wrong. He would not have even had time to submit one anyway. they contacted him the next day after the job opened.. Im sure they called most of those interviewed. all were succesfull coaches. and it happened all in a span of 7-8 days from the time the Stephenville coach resigned till they hired a replacement. Snyder has been to the Semifinals 2 out of 4 years. That may attract some folks looking for a coach. Im sure It will not be the last to call either.

How is coach Jacksons search going? BTW SWMustang?;) same as the past 3 or so years..... no one wants him.

kepdawg
02-15-2008, 06:18 PM
Hmm...I heard Snyder's coach applied. :thinking:

Black_Magic
02-15-2008, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
Hmm...I heard Snyder's coach applied. :thinking: Im sure you did. You know thats how rumors start. Just thnik about it. Why not go after Midland Lee, Andrews, ect and so on. there has been plenty of time for him to "apply" for a job if he was looking dont ya think. :) They Called Coach Rogers to ask him if he would come talk to them about the position. Stephenville contacted him. Not vice versa.

kepdawg
02-15-2008, 06:27 PM
Im sure you did. You know thats how rumors start. Just thnik about it. Why not go after Midland Lee, Andrews, ect and so on. there has been plenty of time for him to "apply" for a job if he was looking dont ya think. :)

His not applying for another job does not mean that he did not apply for this job. I'm not saying it's a good or a bad thing either way, just what I heard. I really don't care one way or the other what Snyder's coach does unless it involves a school I care about.

Black_Magic
02-15-2008, 06:29 PM
His not applying for another job does not mean that he did not apply for this job. I'm not saying it's a good or a bad thing either way, just what I heard. I really don't care one way or the other what Snyder's coach does unless it involves a school I care about. Just telling you the facts of the matter. They called him. NOT the otherway around.

kepdawg
02-15-2008, 06:31 PM
Just telling you the facts of the matter. They called him. NOT the otherway around.

That's not what I heard! :p

mudcat
02-15-2008, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by VWG
Pride- WF High
Ponder- WF Rider
Slaughter- Glen Rose
there was another candidate that interviewed but can't remember

Brad McCoy of Graham

Black_Magic
02-15-2008, 11:19 PM
That's not what I heard! :p I heard from several people Matt included that the top 3a number was going to be around 1025. I doubted that but I heard that. They were wrong. people like to talk about what is jucy. I happen to know fist hand what exactly happend. I didnt have to hear it or read about it..looks like you were misinformed.:thumbsup: Im sure you have been wrong before so Im sure your not shocked this time:)

kepdawg
02-15-2008, 11:21 PM
I heard from several people Matt included that the top 3a number was going to be around 1025. I doubted that but I heard that. They were wrong. people like to talk about what is jucy. I happen to know fist hand what exactly happend. I didnt have to hear it or read about it..looks like you were misinformed.:thumbsup: Im sure you have been wrong before so Im sure your not shocked this time:)

No, I'm not wrong. That is what I heard.

Black_Magic
02-15-2008, 11:57 PM
No, I'm not wrong. That is what I heard. And you heard wrong.;) not the first time Id bet.

kepdawg
02-15-2008, 11:58 PM
And you heard wrong.;) not the first time Id bet.

No, I heard right. I guess it's possible what I heard was wrong though!

Black_Magic
02-16-2008, 09:54 AM
I guess it's possible what I heard was wrong though! BINGO!!! we have a winner!! and by the way. If what you heard was wrong, then that means you heard wrong.. If what you heard was true, they what you heard would have been right. Right??;)

Sville
02-16-2008, 03:38 PM
Not only did Coach Rogers apply for the Sville job he interviewed for it last Saturday. He was very high on the list of the committee but the supe decided to go with a familiar face.

Here is the article from the Stephenville Empire-Tribune before Slaughter withdrew.

Slaughter named lone finalist

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 11:39 AM CST

Recommendation for Stephenville coaching job goes before board on Friday

By BRAD KEITH Sports Editor Brad.keith@empiretribune.com

After a career full of moves geared toward finding his way back to Stephenville as head football coach, Erik Slaughter is coming home.

Stephenville ISD Superintendent Dr. Darrell Floyd said Slaughter is the lone finalist he will present to the school board on Friday. If hired, Slaughter will serve as both coach and director of athletics.

Slaughter, 40, currently fills both roles at Glen Rose, where he took the Tigers to the Class 3A, Division II quarterfinals last fall. He replaces Chad Morris, who resigned last week to become head football coach and campus athletics coordinator at 2007 4A-Division II champ Lake Travis.

The opportunity to come back home is the most appealing thing for me, said Slaughter, and to throw in the chance to be the head coach and athletics director at a great school like Stephenville is just about the most exciting thing I could ever imagine right now. I just can't wait to get to work. I'll go to work the day of the board meeting if they'll let me.

Floyd said the appointed interview committee met with six candidates and narrowed them to two finalists - Slaughter, and current Stephenville assistant coach and assistant athletics director Joseph Gillespie.

We all love Joseph, because of his love for kids, Floyd said. But in the end I went with head coaching experience over no experience as either a head coach or coordinator. That would be a big jump at program like ours. It was an excruciating decision.

Floyd was excited to note that Gillespie will be staying on board to become defensive coordinator as soon as Slaughter is approved by board members.

Erik and Joseph grew up in the program together, Floyd said. To get Erik and to have him working alongside Joseph has to be a win-win for the program.

I'm excited to be keeping Joseph on board, Slaughter said. Our friendship goes back to the nine years I spent in Stephenville as an assistant. Those were nine of the happiest years of my life.

Scott Ponder of Wichita Falls Rider, Randy Quisenberry of Midland Lee, Travis Pride of Wichita Falls (Old) High and Chad Rogers of Snyder were the others interviewed for the position.

The interview committee consisted of Floyd, school board member Dr. Ruth Ann Stephens, assistant superintendents Debbie Hines and Tracy Ray, SHS Principal Travis Stilwell, Henderson Junior High Principal Bob Cervetto, Head Athletic Trainer Mike Carroll, community member/ex-head coach Mike Copeland, community member/lawyer Ernest Cannon, male student-athlete parent Rudy Avalos and female student-athlete parent/high school teacher Kathleen Huckabee.

Slaughter, the son of Hico residents Bruce and Margaret Slaughter, graduated from Hico High School in 1986, and from Tarleton State University in 1990. He then went to work for Briles at Stephenville and was part of the SHS staff for the school's first three state championships in 1993, 1994 and 1998.

Slaughter left Stephenville in 1999 to serve as head coach and AD in Linden-Kildaire, where Floyd was superintendent at the time.

After two years at Linden-Kildaire, Slaughter moved on to East Bernard from 2000-02. He guided the football program to the 2001 district championship, East Bernard's first in 15 seasons.

Slaughter moved closer to home when he took the head coach/AD job at Class 4A Springtown. In his only year with the Porcupines, he led them to the playoffs on the heels of three consecutive losing seasons prior to his arrival.

Slaughter had a reunion with Briles from 2003-06, where he served as an assistant on the University of Houston staff. During his stay, the Cougars went to the Hawaii Bowl in 2003, and the Fort Worth Bowl in 2005.

Slaughter returned to the high school ranks, again as a head coach and AD, when he moved to Class 3A Glen Rose in 2006. In two years, Slaughter led the Tigers to a pair of district championships. The 2007 Tigers won three playoff games before falling to Celina in the quarterfinals.

It was a very tough decision, Slaughter said of leaving Glen Rose. My wife and I have friends there we never had before. Friends we will keep forever. Those people were so wonderful to us. The kids did everything I ever asked of them and more. I told the committee during the interview that I wouldn't leave Glen Rose for any job except in Stephenville.

http://www.empiretribune.com/articles/2008/02/12/news/news01.txt

Tweeder215
02-16-2008, 07:16 PM
Just telling you the facts of the matter. They called him. NOT the otherway around.

Either way, he wouldn't have interviewed if he wasn't interested. All that shows is that he might not have thought that he would have a chance of getting the job and therefore didn't apply but when the school called he went running at the chance.