PDA

View Full Version : Where has all the coverage gone?

kepdawg
02-14-2008, 02:31 PM
It seems to me that a lot of high school football teams can no longer cover kicks. If the kicker can't put the ball in the endzone a short, directional pooch kick is in order. Has the skill of kick returners improved to a point where they simply can't be covered? Where has all the coverage gone?

BullFrog Dad
02-14-2008, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
It seems to me that a lot of high school football teams can no longer cover kicks. If the kicker can't put the ball in the endzone a short, directional pooch kick is in order. Has the skill of kick returners improved to a point where they simply can't be covered? Where has all the coverage gone? I think it's the same as the HS pitcher who throws in the mid 90s and dominates the batters. A man among boys. A lot of KO returners are D1 bound talent and coaches figured out that the more they touch the ball the better.

charlesrixey
02-14-2008, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by BullFrog Dad
I think it's the same as the HS pitcher who throws in the mid 90s and dominates the batters. A man among boys. A lot of KO returners are D1 bound talent and coaches figured out that the more they touch the ball the better.

it's somewhat ironic, given that many second-tier recruits will start out on special teams

jimmyceatworld
02-14-2008, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by BullFrog Dad
I think it's the same as the HS pitcher who throws in the mid 90s and dominates the batters. A man among boys. A lot of KO returners are D1 bound talent and coaches figured out that the more they touch the ball the better.

but you still have 11 guys that should make a tackle (10 if all the kicker can do is boot the ball)

BobcatBenny
02-14-2008, 04:35 PM
You will see more and more of the directional pooch kick until a good plan, play, and/or rule is developed to defeat it.

It is just smart coaching.

Adidas410s
02-14-2008, 05:10 PM
and it only took until 2 months after the HS season ended for Kep to reach boiling point on this one! ;)

kepdawg
02-15-2008, 03:33 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
and it only took until 2 months after the HS season ended for Kep to reach boiling point on this one! ;)

It's not the first time I have brought it up. There are usually not many thoughts as to the decline in coverage. I thought I'd give the great minds of 3ADL another chance to share their knowledge with me.