PDA

View Full Version : Zach Thomas Cut By Dolphins

piratebg
02-14-2008, 01:59 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=txdolphinsthomas&prov=st&type=lgns

Dolphins to release Thomas
February 14, 2008

ORLANDO, FLORIDA (TICKER) -- The Miami Dolphins are reportedly cutting ties with one of their best players.

Pro Bowl linebacker Zach Thomas has been informed that his tenure as a Miami Dolphin has come to an end, according to a report Thursday on the South Florida Sun-Sentinel web site.

According to the report, Thomas, 34, was told by the Dolphin's new management that he no longer fits into the team's long-term plans, and will be released later on Thursday.

Instead of playing out the final year of his contract, which was set to pay him just under $6 million, the seven-time Pro Bowl selection will reportedly be shopping for a new team because he plans to continue playing.

The Dolphins placed Thomas injured reserve in early December, ending his season after he missed his fifth straight game because of a migraines.

The 34-year-old suffered a concussion in September and missed two games. After returning to play in the Dolphins' next three games, he was in an automobile accident which left him with recurring migraines.

A seven-time Pro Bowl selection, Thomas recorded 52 tackles and one sack last season. For his career, he has 982 total tackles, more than any linebacker in the Hall of Fame.

Thomas was drafted in the fifth round of the 1996 draft out of Texas Tech. He led the Dolphins in tackles with 165 during his rookie season despite missing two games with ankle and shoulder injuries.

Thomas is one of three players to record 100 or more tackles in each of his first 10 seasons in the NFL. He was selected to his seventh Pro Bowl in 2006, tied for the third most Pro Bowl appearances in club history.

The move comes the same week that Miami's recently revamped front office of executive president of football operations Bill Parcells and general manager Jeff Ireland released nine players, including former starting quarterback Trent Green.

Thomas' departure means Channing Crowder, who led the team with 78 tackles in an injury-shortened season, will likely fill in as the team's middle linebacker unless the Dolphins address that position when free agency starts at the end of the month, or in April's draft.

Sweetwater Red
02-14-2008, 02:07 PM
Well this should turn into a PR nightmare.:thinking:

pirate4state
02-14-2008, 02:10 PM
:thinking: :thinking:

Is 34 old for the NFL at his position?

Maroon87
02-14-2008, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state

No, but old is just around the corner.

pirate4state
02-14-2008, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
No, but old is just around the corner.

Looks like you're already there! :p :p :D

Anyway, I thought he had a neck injury not migraines. Kinda makes him sound like a pansy. :eek: :eek:

STANG RED
02-14-2008, 02:28 PM

Sure makes me feel old. I remember watching Zack play for Pampa in a playoff game against Sweetwater his senior year.

He's had a lot of good years. It's probably time for him to hang it up. I would like to see him get a chance at a ring with a good team next year though. If he agrees to play cheap, he could probably get the chance.

LH Panther Mom
02-14-2008, 02:30 PM
Looks like you're already there! :p :p :D

Anyway, I thought he had a neck injury not migraines. Kinda makes him sound like a pansy. :eek: :eek:
I'm wondering if the neck injury caused the migraines. (I've never had them, but know plenty of folks who do. Trust me, pansy it the last thing that comes to mind.)

pirate4state
02-14-2008, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I'm wondering if the neck injury caused the migraines. (I've never had them, but know plenty of folks who do. Trust me, pansy it the last thing that comes to mind.)

I get migraines. I know what they can do to you. Still think it makes a football player sound like a pansy! :p

lakers
02-14-2008, 02:44 PM
I get migraines. I know what they can do to you. Still think it makes a football player sound like a pansy! :p

Do you get the kind of migraines that stop you in your tracks and forces you to be in a dark room and close your eyes with absolutely no light or sound, or the kind that says"oh, my head hurts really bad, it must be a migraine..."

pirate4state
02-14-2008, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by lakers
Do you get the kind of migraines that stop you in your tracks and forces you to be in a dark room and close your eyes with absolutely no light or sound, or the kind that says"oh, my head hurts really bad, it must be a migraine..."

Yes, I have. Trust me, I know the difference between a migraine & a regular headache.

I wonder if Zach does? j/k

LH Panther Mom
02-14-2008, 02:53 PM
I wonder if Zach does? j/k
Heck, he was dang near the best player on their team this past year. They're really gonna suck now. :eek: :eek: :p

DU_stud04
02-14-2008, 02:53 PM
Yes, I have. Trust me, I know the difference between a migraine & a regular headache.

I wonder if Zach does? j/k moo

pirate4state
02-14-2008, 02:57 PM
Heck, he was dang near the best player on their team this past year. They're really gonna suck now. :eek: :eek: :p I seriously thought he was out of commission way before December or is that just when they put him on IR. I thought he had the same injury The Moose had that lead to his retirement.

LH Panther Mom
02-14-2008, 02:59 PM
I seriously thought he was out of commission way before December or is that just when they put him on IR. I thought he had the same injury The Moose had that lead to his retirement.
He was out, then back.....then IR in December. (They're still gonna suck. :D )

pirate4state
02-14-2008, 03:00 PM
He was out, then back.....then IR in December. (They're still gonna suck. :D ) I'm sure Russ will be along shortly to tell us how bad or how wrong we are! :p :p

I do like the colors in their uniforms!!! HAHAHA

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
02-14-2008, 03:08 PM
Helmet to helmet collisions are no joke, especially on that level of play. You would be suprised how much force the human brain receives slamming into the front of your skull when you hit someone. It makes playing football very miserable if you have a bad headache, I can only imagine what it would do if you had an actual migraine. I guess it's one of those things that you have to experience before you know how it feels, but if you want some at home experience you can get without playing football, wrap a towel up and put it over your forehead and then proceed to run 3/4 speed into a wall.

STANG RED
02-14-2008, 03:20 PM
I've had my bell rung more than once. Ears ringing so load you cant hear people talk, get sick to the stomach, neck hurts like hell, and your helmet feels 3 sizes too small. I dont care how tough you are, a football field is the last place you need to be. Luckily mine would only last a few minutes, then I'd be ready to go. But everytime they come up from out of nowhere now, I always wonder if they stem back to those good ol head bangin days.:thinking:

hookandladder
02-14-2008, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Sure makes me feel old. I remember watching Zack play for Pampa in a playoff game against Sweetwater his senior year.

He's had a lot of good years. It's probably time for him to hang it up. I would like to see him get a chance at a ring with a good team next year though. If he agrees to play cheap, he could probably get the chance.

I remember watching him and his brother beat us in the State Championship game( Flatonia-White Deer). Dame they were both good. Beat us on an extra point, they did the swinging gate for 2 pts, lost 14-13.

crzyjournalist03
02-14-2008, 05:41 PM
Maybe the Cowboys can bring him in cheap to shore up the middle linebacking corps...not to take anything away from James or Ayodele, but I'd take Thomas over either of them in a heartbeat if Thomas can get on the field.

Txbroadcaster
02-14-2008, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Maybe the Cowboys can bring him in cheap to shore up the middle linebacking corps...not to take anything away from James or Ayodele, but I'd take Thomas over either of them in a heartbeat if Thomas can get on the field.

IMO he is to small to be a 3-4 LB and be effective, he needs the DL in front clogging the OL up so he can run free

crzyjournalist03
02-15-2008, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
IMO he is to small to be a 3-4 LB and be effective, he needs the DL in front clogging the OL up so he can run free

:p

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/021608dnspocowthomas.2f186dd.html

:D

crzyjournalist03
02-25-2008, 10:14 AM
http://www.chins-n-quills.com/forums/images/smilies/sFun_nahnahna.gif