PDA

View Full Version : Daytona 500

Curly
02-14-2008, 10:43 AM
With football over for a while it's time to take a look at NASCAR

Will Junior win the Daytona 500? he has some big time help now that he is on a team that is dedicated to winning and not blowing up engines.

Can Tony Stewart and K. Busch manage to not wreck each other?

Will Jimmy Johnson win another Championship?

Can Jeffy share the road and spotlight with Junior ?

Will Kyle Petty ever win another race or is he just ready to move into the booth?

How will the Toyota teams do this season? Joe Gibbs I still can't believe #20 is not driving a Chevy.

What kind of season will Waltrip have this year?

How wierd is seeing #8 being driven by Mark Martin?

Flag drops at 2 Sunday..... bogggity boggity boggity Let's go racing boys.....

Sweetwater Red
02-14-2008, 10:56 AM
Will Tony Stewart's pit crew "NOT hold him back" after he starts
a fight and let the other driver hand Tony's ass to him.:thinking:

Curly
02-14-2008, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
Will Tony Stewart's pit crew "NOT hold him back" after he starts
a fight and let the other driver hand Tony's ass to him.:thinking:

YEAH RIGHT Like K.Busch handed Smoke his arse the other day-- oh wait that was Smoke droppin the hammer on the checkin up Miller Lite #2

Maroon87
02-14-2008, 11:08 AM
I think you'll see a Toyota in Victory Lane several times this year.

BTW the Gatorade Duels are today on Speed @1pm.:cool:

Sweetwater Red
02-14-2008, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Curly
YEAH RIGHT Like K.Busch handed Smoke his arse the other day-- oh wait that was Smoke droppin the hammer on the checkin up Miller Lite #2

I'm not talking about the other day. I talking about the 15
other times I've seen it happen.

Serious question. Who is considered the toughest guy in
NASCAR?

Curly
02-14-2008, 11:16 AM
I'm not talking about the other day. I talking about the 15
other times I've seen it happen.

NASCAR?

Nobody wants to mess with Mark Martin that old man knows all the ways to make folks pay... wish he would have won Daytona last year heck of a race, gonna be strange seein him in #8 but he is the only driver that DEI could get to pull that off.

Ryan Newman got like the way he drives.

Matt Kenseth aint afraid to swap paint

Carl Edwards will get after folks too.

Maroon87
02-14-2008, 11:16 AM
NASCAR?

I don't know about now, but I remember in '96 Terry Labonte drove a race at Phoenix with a broken arm and the championship hanging in the balance.

Just driving a passenger car with a broken arm is hard enough...:eek:

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
02-14-2008, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
I don't know about now, but I remember in '96 Terry Labonte drove a race at Phoenix with a broken arm and the championship hanging in the balance.

Just driving a passenger car with a broken arm is hard enough...:eek:

I bet it really sucked on those restarts when he had to shift and go into a turn at the same time.

kepdawg
02-14-2008, 02:22 PM
They just missed having a huge wreck!

bigron15
02-14-2008, 02:25 PM
i went to florida over the christmas break and we happened to travel to daytona beach and took a tour of the speedway. it was supa cool. we got to go all over the track and the infield. i thought it was cool and im not even a NASCAR fan. the 31 degree banking is rediculous

Curly
02-14-2008, 02:48 PM
Junior leading the duel at lap 31

STANG RED
02-14-2008, 02:54 PM
Anybody know if theres an internet feed for this race? I'm sure there is, but I dont know where it is.

Curly
02-14-2008, 02:55 PM
lap 39
1 Johnson
2 Earnhardt Jr.
3 Newman
4 Montoya

DU_stud04
02-14-2008, 03:03 PM
ohh look, they're making a left turn!!!

ohh look... another left turn!!!!!

woo hooo, another left turn.... thats my favorite part.

kepdawg
02-14-2008, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
ohh look, they're making a left turn!!!

ohh look... another left turn!!!!!

woo hooo, another left turn.... thats my favorite part.

You forgot the best part...the 4th left turn!

Maroon87
02-14-2008, 03:15 PM
Duel #1-Final (Top 3)

1) Dale Earnhardt Jr.
2) Reed Sorenson
3) Ryan Newman

Curly
02-14-2008, 03:17 PM
way to go # 88
avg speed 185
led 26 of 60 laps
don't cha know that Tereasa is wondering what did I do that for?????

LH Panther Mom
02-14-2008, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
You forgot the best part...the 4th left turn!
Am I the only one that thought of Pancho and the rest of the "turn left" coaches? :devil:

kepdawg
02-14-2008, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Am I the only one that thought of Pancho and the rest of the "turn left" coaches? :devil:

i don't know what that is

Curly
02-14-2008, 03:25 PM
If you ever see a race in person
you won't think of it as just making a left turn
2 years ago wife and I sat on turn 4 at Tex Motor Speed way
the roar of engines and crowd
if you like competition you will love NASCAR

LH Panther Mom
02-14-2008, 03:26 PM
i don't know what that is
Track :p

I happen to LOVE track, btw. :)

kepdawg
02-14-2008, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Track :p

I happen to LOVE track, btw. :)

Who's Pancho?

Maroon87
02-14-2008, 03:57 PM
Duel #2 about to begin...

K-MAC Chuck
02-14-2008, 06:47 PM
Headline: Busch, Stewart find a way to make ’08 interesting without running an official lap

By Chuck Licata
On Pit Road

Well, Brian France asked for “personality” from drivers.
Tony Stewart and Kurt Busch certainly gave it to him!
The two tangled up last week during practice at Daytona International Speedway as NASCAR gets ready for its season-opening race, Sunday’s Daytona 500. This, according to quite a few pundits, is NASCAR’s “Super Bowl.”
Nothing super about the conduct of the two former Sprint Cup champions as they traded sheet metal while practicing for the Budweiser Shootout last Saturday night. Stewart bumped Busch, causing Busch to spin out and wreck his car for the Shootout. Busch retaliated by bumping Stewart's car on the way to pit road. Stewart blocked Busch's path to the garage.
Thus, NASCAR called the two drivers into the hauler for a closed-door meeting and discussion. Reportedly, Stewart threw a punch at Busch during a heated confronation in the NASCAR hauler. However, Cup spokesman Ramsey Poston emphasized the penalty – a six-race probation for both Stewart and Busch – was strictly for their on-track actions, not off.
Either way, both drivers will start this Sunday’s Sprint Cup (that’s right, “Sprint Cup,” not NEXTEL or Winston Cup) Daytona 500 with a little “cloud” hanging over their head.
Then again, if you ask me, Busch has a bit of a cloud in his head anyway.
And all this time, “Junior Nation” has been celebrating the return of Dale Earnhardt, Jr. to Victory Lane, as Junior – driving the #88 National Guard Chevy for his new team, Hendrick Motor Sports – won the Budweiser Shootout.
How ironic – Junior wins a Budweiser event after Bud decided to not join Junior at Hendricks and move its sponsorship to the #9 Dodge of Kasey Kahne.
But the spotlight – and microscope – will be on Junior. He has yet to win a title since coming up to the “big leagues” of NASCAR in 2000, and the son of Dale Earnhardt, Sr. - the former seven-time champion and one of the most beloved personalities in NASCAR history – hasn’t had his driving skills (and number of championships) match his popularity.
If Junior doesn’t win two of the first six races or so, many in Junior Nation will have to defend their favorite driver – and I’ve already gone on record as saying his talent among the Sprint Cup drivers is somewhere in the 8-15 range, no higher.
We’ll find out starting Sunday! Enjoy the race.

DU_stud04
02-14-2008, 06:54 PM
ooooooohhh look! another left turn!!!

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g115/mexmustangs04/medium.jpg

Bull Butter
02-14-2008, 07:59 PM
The 88 car certainly has been impressive thus far, along with the Gibbs Toyotas.

Maroon87
02-14-2008, 08:01 PM
I was just watching Truck Series qualifying, and they showed a shot of Saturn in the sky.:cool:

Must some kinda powerful hi-def camera...:thinking:

LH Panther Mom
02-14-2008, 09:14 PM
Who's Pancho?
:doh: :doh: Pancho Villa - he secretly wants to be a dirt waterer, but is stuck coaching track. ;)

Gobbla2001
02-14-2008, 10:33 PM
a co-worker of mine was at the duels today... had to hear him talk about it for the last two and a half weeks "goin' to Daytona... Yah I'm meeting my wife in Daytona next week...... Leaving for Houston tonight and gunna fly out to Daytona tomorrow morning..."... it's finally peaceful around work now that he's stopped talking... gunna have to hear about it all next week though
:rolleyes:

I'm actually starting to like this NASCAR business... and I really don't know why...

Go JayArr!

Gobbla2001
02-14-2008, 10:39 PM
I can't wait to see someone drag Stewart around by that mop on his head...

Curly
02-15-2008, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
I can't wait to see someone drag Stewart around by that mop on his head...

They would have to catch him first, and then finish the deal. Ask the #2 Miller lite boy how he got the bump on his eyeball.

Bull Butter
02-15-2008, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Curly
They would have to catch him first, and then finish the deal. Ask the #2 Miller lite boy how he got the bump on his eyeball.

Or ask him about how Jimmy Spencer punched him out in 2003.

On the other hand, no Daytona 500 could top the 1979 finish. I especially like Bobby Allison's quote about how Cale Yarborough "kept banging his face into my fist".

Maroon87
02-15-2008, 03:53 PM
Reed Sorenson (#41) looked fast again today.

rockdale80
02-15-2008, 06:06 PM
Nascar is rigged.