PDA

View Full Version : Astros Close to Signing Pettite

shellman54
12-10-2003, 05:52 PM
According to sources, the 'Stros are close to signing hometown product Andy Pettite, which has to improve the outlook on the Astros season significantly. This may be the piece that helps push to the next level, which would be winning a playoff series........

What are your thoughts?

crzyjournalist03
12-10-2003, 05:57 PM
what are these "sources"? I've been hearing the exact opposite on mlb.com...all reports I've read say that the Astros are making a strong pitch, but the Yankees are prepared to better any offer that the Astros give him.

shellman54
12-10-2003, 05:59 PM
check espn.com. plus, the Yankees can only offer money. granted, a lot more than Houston can, but Houston is closer to home, and no amount of money can change that.

<small>[ December 10, 2003, 05:06 PM: Message edited by: shellman54 ]</small>

crzyjournalist03
12-10-2003, 06:05 PM
wow...that is interesting...I'd love to see it happen...not that I'm a huge Astros fan...I'd just love to see the Yankees lose a player they want for a change!

BrahmaMom
12-10-2003, 06:36 PM
Having a chance to play for Houston, close to home, is a big deal for Pettitte. Kinda like if Goodwin had a chance to play for the Texans, I think he'd jump on it. Pettitte is a hometown kid, if at all possible, I think he'll do it.

GWOOD
12-10-2003, 06:44 PM
I am an Astros fan and I would love to see it happen. Heard he was at the Texans' game two Sundays ago. I haven't read ESPN.com yet but everything else I have read seems to indicate that Pettite would like to remain a Yankee. But, if they don't seem more interested he might be ready to move and Houston would make sense.

Oswalt, Miller, Pettite, would make a good top 3 pitching staff.

GWOOD
12-10-2003, 06:51 PM
I just read the espn.com article. Wow, that is encouraging. I hope this doesn't spark the Yankees to do something.
Did you read the line "Pettite will give the Astros a bona fide #1 man" in the article? What a cut-down of Oswalt and his accomplishments the past 2 years.

Bellville22
12-10-2003, 06:52 PM
The Juice Box is tough on lefties, but Pettitte is one of the better lefties in the game, and appears to be competitive enough to pitch in a Little League field if necessary. I think he'll do well. I think it was a wise investment with the money saved from Wagner, and I think it will make them better, since the closer role is probably still in good shape.

I still think the key will be the health of Os and Miller. Oswalt has the stuff to be the ace of that staff still, and needs to put together a healthy year. Should be interesting.

Vrabird
12-10-2003, 09:15 PM
Say it and HE will come!!! ANDY! ANDY! ANDY! A big Astro fan and I would love to see him in an ASTRO uniform next year. I think he would awsome addition.

crzyjournalist03
12-10-2003, 09:47 PM
Well, the Texas Rangers singed Brad Fullmer today...the Astros will have a lot of work to do to gain ground wink . It's times like these that I wonder about my Rangers...the Astros are luring a free agent pitcher into a "bad pitcher's park", which has been the Rangers excuse for years...they can't convince pitchers to play at the Ballpark...so the Astros go after Petitte, and the Rangers are now going after Ben Grieve....yeah...great job Texas!

Brahma73
12-10-2003, 11:29 PM
Houston Chronicle Story:

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/2285901

kaorder1999
12-11-2003, 12:07 AM
what a joke...rangers will be good again...in a VERY long time

Wildcat81
12-11-2003, 07:24 AM
didn't the stros offer pettite 30 million over 3
years.

sinton66
12-11-2003, 08:01 AM
Report on the local news this morning says 31 million is the current offer.

Hupernikomen
12-11-2003, 10:01 AM
sinton66:
Report on the local news this morning says 31 million is the current offer.My yahoo says the deal has been inked :)