PDA

View Full Version : Vanderbilt vs. Kentucky

JR2004
02-12-2008, 09:49 PM
Vanderbilt up 37-8 with 3 minutes to go before the half... I know Gillispie is going through a major rebuilding job, but goodness they were doing pretty good the last 3 weeks or so. :doh:

Panther One
02-12-2008, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
Vanderbilt up 37-8 with 3 minutes to go before the half... I know Gillispie is going through a major rebuilding job, but goodness they were doing pretty good the last 3 weeks or so. :doh:
The win over Tennessee was impressive. Beating South Carolina, Georgia, Auburn, and Alabama is not a tough task and is something Kentucky should do even in a down year. All of those teams are hovering around .500 and are four of the bottom five teams in the SEC. I guess Vandy is out for revenge tonight...

kepdawg
02-12-2008, 10:15 PM
41-11 at half! :eek:

Panther One
02-12-2008, 10:25 PM
55-14 now...WOW!

Cameron Crazy
02-12-2008, 10:29 PM
I just wonder what the heck he was thinking when he left A&M. I know it was the money, but goodness, look at how the ags are playing this year.

Adidas410s
02-12-2008, 10:37 PM
WTH is Billy G doing standing BEHIND the basket where Kentucky is shooting????

kepdawg
02-12-2008, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
WTH is Billy G doing standing BEHIND the basket where Kentucky is shooting????

That's the setup at Vandy.

Adidas410s
02-12-2008, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
That's the setup at Vandy.
Interesting. I've watched a few games at Vandy but never noticed that before...

Panther One
02-12-2008, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Cameron Crazy
I just wonder what the heck he was thinking when he left A&M. I know it was the money, but goodness, look at how the ags are playing this year.
He never planned on staying at A&M longer than three years. He already had a deal in place with Arkansas to take over their team after last season. That's why Arkansas fired their coach. Then when it became apparent that Gillispie had a solid chance at the Kentucky job, he backed out on Arkansas and left them with egg on their face. I think he can win at Kentucky, but if he has one or two more of these embarassments, he might not be around long enough to do so.

JR2004
02-12-2008, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by Cameron Crazy

He was thinking he could land his dream job is what he was thinking. I don't blame him for going and I'm sure he'd do it again. He didn't exactly take over a juggernaut upon arriving in Lexington. Coach Smith just about ran that program into the ground.

kepdawg
02-12-2008, 11:21 PM
93-52 :eek:

I guess UK did a good job putting up 41 in the second half.

Panther One
02-13-2008, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by JR2004
Coach Smith just about ran that program into the ground.
Please...You sound like all of the Kentucky fans. If Tubby Smith ran that program into the ground, then Gillispie is dropping loads of dirt on it. Look at the talent that was left by Smith and compare it to what Gillispie inherited at A&M. Including the recruits Gillispie brought in this year, there is more talent at Kentucky than their record reflects.

UK
Ramel Bradley ***
Derrick Jasper ****
Michael Porter **
AJ Stewart ***
Perry Stevenson ****
Jodie Meeks ****
Joe Crawford *****
Ramon Harris ***
Jared Carter ***

A&M
Law, Acie ***
Clemente, Luis NR
Leach, Bobby ***
Wright, Antoine *****
Jones, Joseph ***
Loewe, Justin NR
Pompey, Marlon ***

On top of that, Gillispie took over an A&M program that didn't win a conference game the year before. Kentucky, on the other hand, went two rounds deep in the dance. The embarassing losses and season-long struggles are not Smith's fault. The players just aren't buying into his coaching style like they did at UTEP and A&M. If Gillispie is given time, I think he can right the ship, but Kentucky is not know for their patience. Any more losses like tonight, and he might be out of work.

Smith, by the way, has taken over a Minnesota team that was 9-22 (3-14) last year and currently has them at 15-8 (5-6). I guess he's running them into the ground now. He's a good coach, but he needed to leave Kentucky. That was a strained relationship his last couple of years there.