PDA

View Full Version : Question.

Necks_Fan
02-09-2008, 11:13 AM
Ok, so I read the rules and it says no political topics.

That's not a problem but i was wanting to know the extent of this rule.

Is it no mention of politics at all, or just no argueing over it, or can we just have simple educated discussions over politics and campaigns?

Thanks, just wondering.

Gobbla2001
02-09-2008, 11:19 AM
I've noticed that we'll get away with talking politics here if everyone is speaking respectfully with one another and being logical...

usually they'll get closed when it starts getting personal...

Necks_Fan
02-09-2008, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
I've noticed that we'll get away with talking politics here if everyone is speaking respectfully with one another and being logical...

usually they'll get closed when it starts getting personal... So, would a poll be acceptable and like say discussions over who you think will win the primaries and get the nominations and a little info as to why people think the way they do as long as things don't get personal?

Gobbla2001
02-09-2008, 11:34 AM
I dunno, you might want to send a private message to one of the moderators and ask 'em...

ASUFrisbeeStud
02-09-2008, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan
So, would a poll be acceptable and like say discussions over who you think will win the primaries and get the nominations and a little info as to why people think the way they do as long as things don't get personal?

No, Rita will shut it down and shun you.

Sweetwater Red
02-09-2008, 11:58 AM
So, would a poll be acceptable and like say discussions over who you think will win the primaries and get the nominations and a little info as to why people think the way they do as long as things don't get personal?

Dude, it's not worth your time. Everytime a thread gets started
with a subject that requires everyone to be subjective it gets
locked before the second page.

Posters attempt to start political threads with good intentions.
But, let's not forget that's what the road to hell is paved with.:thinking:

sinton66
02-09-2008, 12:48 PM
I don't think any of us would have a problem with this type of discussion if the posters involved could keep their wits about them and not go off the deep end. Past experience has taught us that's pretty much an extreme impossibility. Politics and Religion are subjects that are TOO volatile and both are beyond the scope of our mission here.

We won't tolerate labelling of Democrats as Communists and Republicans as Facists and so forth. We can't even allow political jokes/cartoons because the other side gets offended and retaliates. Then it sinks into a STUPID game of one-upsmanship until it gets out of control. We usually step in and shut it down long BEFORE that happens.

The short answer is it would probably be okay if the posters could exercise even a modicum of self-control, but we already know by experience that isn't going to happen. The alternative is to allow the discussions and rom offenders who are otherwise good posters on sports subjects. We don't want to do that because it's counter-productive to our mission. So, the rule says stay away from American Political Parties and their current candidates for/officeholders of elected offices. Thus far, it's seemed to work fairly well.

Necks_Fan
02-09-2008, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
I don't think any of us would have a problem with this type of discussion if the posters involved could keep their wits about them and not go off the deep end. Past experience has taught us that's pretty much an extreme impossibility. Politics and Religion are subjects that are TOO volatile and both are beyond the scope of our mission here.

We won't tolerate labelling of Democrats as Communists and Republicans as Facists and so forth. We can't even allow political jokes/cartoons because the other side gets offended and retaliates. Then it sinks into a STUPID game of one-upsmanship until it gets out of control. We usually step in and shut it down long BEFORE that happens.

The short answer is it would probably be okay if the posters could exercise even a modicum of self-control, but we already know by experience that isn't going to happen. The alternative is to allow the discussions and rom offenders who are otherwise good posters on sports subjects. We don't want to do that because it's counter-productive to our mission. So, the rule says stay away from American Political Parties and their current candidates for/officeholders of elected offices. Thus far, it's seemed to work fairly well. Thanks for the good info and clearing that up.

I guess i will just stay away from touchy subjects.

:)

Ranger Mom
02-09-2008, 08:46 PM
Thanks for the good info and clearing that up.

I guess i will just stay away from touchy subjects.

:)

LOL!! FYI..."touchy subjects" would include Texas and A&M too!!:p