PDA

View Full Version : kazaa

marlin fan
12-29-2003, 08:17 PM
lol i downloaded spybot and deleted all the spyware off my laptop. so now every time i try to run kazaa i get this message: Kazaa Media Desktop has encountered a problem in showing ads. please uninstal any ad-removal application from you computer and reinstall kazaa Media Desktop. Kazaa media desktop will now quit

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
12-29-2003, 08:25 PM
You should delete Kazaa. I had it on my computer and it ate up my hard drive and I had to re-image my computer a while back...I was very unhappy because it took hours to get everything re-installed and downloaded back onto my comp.

marlin fan
12-29-2003, 08:42 PM
yeah im gonna delete kazaa off my laptop since it's on my mom's computer and burn everything to a cd and put on my laptop.

Bell_06
12-29-2003, 09:13 PM
We've had a lot of luck running WinMX and also run spybot at the same time.

jason
12-29-2003, 11:36 PM
im still running the original version of kazaa...it asks me if i wanna update every time i open it but i dont....its by far the best file-sharing program ive used...

3afan2K3
12-29-2003, 11:48 PM
I had the same problem when I used ad-aware stuff. You just have to re-download it

marlin fan
12-29-2003, 11:52 PM
3afan2K3:
I had the same problem when I used ad-aware stuff. You just have to re-download ityeah thats what they told me todo.

slpybear the bullfan
12-29-2003, 11:54 PM
Guys... I would highly reccomend KazaaLite...

It is a copy of Kazaa with ZERO spyware added. I have been running it for years and also highly encourage Ad Aware...

Seriously, if you like file sharing but are concerned I would say checkout KaZaaLite...

3afan2K3
12-30-2003, 12:00 AM
I would go with slpybear advice

District303aPastPlayer
12-30-2003, 02:33 AM
i run WinMX and use ad aware to remove spy ware

WinnRRfan
12-31-2003, 10:53 AM
You can get Kazaa Lite, no adware, no spyware, free, and the fastest I've found.
Go to www.k-lite.tk (http://www.k-lite.tk) to get it.

3afan2K3
12-31-2003, 12:11 PM
WinnRRfan:
You can get Kazaa Lite, no adware, no spyware, free, and the fastest I've found.
Go to www.k-lite.tk (http://www.k-lite.tk) to get it.How do you get the free version?

ej2525
12-31-2003, 12:38 PM
Thanks for the advise about Kazaa Lite because I installed the Kazaa software and I was bombed with spyware... so I dumped it. Another free site if you have never heard of it is called bearshare.

Bell_06
12-31-2003, 10:47 PM
12/31/03 Houston Chronicle, Technology-Help Line list websites for some useful utility programs. I didn't realize that Kazaa was loaded with spyware and yet basic removal of the program does not clear the problem. My machine was hijacked by 'CoolWebSearch' took over my search, location bar, home page etc.. I'll post a link to clear that little problem also... tonight my computer received a much needed enema, sure hope that clears up some of my problems.

Kazaabegone and CW-Shredder (CoolWebSearch) (http://merijn.org)

For AdAware (http://www.download.com)

Spybot Search and Destroy (utilities area) (http://www.geekradio.com)

therealbulldogs
01-01-2004, 03:18 AM
Read this article about k-lite. http://www.mp3newswire.net/stories/2003/kazaalite_alive.html

sinton66
01-01-2004, 10:47 AM
Just FYI, for those of you using the free version of Adaware, it is a spyware progam itself. If you really want good spyware removal, spend the money and buy something like Spy Sweeper.

<small>[ January 01, 2004, 09:48 AM: Message edited by: sinton66 ]</small>

Holmes_Fans
12-28-2004, 11:47 AM
www.limewire.com

really good "file sharing" program

marlin fan
12-28-2004, 11:50 AM
lol man this thread is old!!!

Astrosdawg07
12-28-2004, 01:22 PM
I thought Kazza was ilegal?

Holmes_Fans
12-28-2004, 01:23 PM
It's not illegal

Keith7
12-28-2004, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Holmes_Fans
www.limewire.com

really good "file sharing" program

I agree.. its the best one (no screwed up songs) plus it is spy ware free

Holmes_Fans
12-28-2004, 01:39 PM
It fast to, I downloaded a whole album in about 10 minutes

pirate44
12-28-2004, 01:43 PM
file sharing via P2P software very much illegal if what you are sharing is copyrighted material. the software itself is not ilegal, but the use of it to share music is a violation of federal law title 17, United States code, sections 501 and 506. If illegal materials are found on your computer, legal action can be taken against you by the copyright holder of that material. Criminal penalties can be as high as five years in prison or $250,000 in fines. Civil penalties can be $750 to $150,000 for EACH work (song, movie, or software program) being illegally distributed.

Keith7
12-28-2004, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by pirate44
file sharing via P2P software very much illegal if what you are sharing is copyrighted material. the software itself is not ilegal, but the use of it to share music is a violation of federal law title 17, United States code, sections 501 and 506. If illegal materials are found on your computer, legal action can be taken against you by the copyright holder of that material. Criminal penalties can be as high as five years in prison or $250,000 in fines. Civil penalties can be $750 to $150,000 for EACH work (song, movie, or software program) being illegally distributed.

Well catch me if you can sucker

Holmes_Fans
12-28-2004, 01:52 PM
As long as you don't SHARE the files, then you are ok.

pirate44
12-28-2004, 02:03 PM
As long as you don't SHARE the files, then you are ok.
why else would you use it?

Holmes_Fans
12-28-2004, 02:11 PM
To download music and other stuff

pirate44
12-28-2004, 02:20 PM
if it works for you, go with it.

Holmes_Fans
12-28-2004, 02:25 PM
It does, I download it, but I dont share it

Ranger Mom
12-28-2004, 02:25 PM
So let me get this straight.....it's okay to download music and burn it on to a CD for my own listening pleasure....as long as I don't have the "file sharing" enabled on my computer for someone else to download from??

So any and everybody I download from is "illegally" sharing their files, but I am okay because I am just downloading from them and NOT sharing it with anyone else??

Holmes_Fans
12-28-2004, 02:27 PM
I think

pirate44
12-28-2004, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
So let me get this straight.....it's okay to download music and burn it on to a CD for my own listening pleasure....as long as I don't have the "file sharing" enabled on my computer for someone else to download from??

So any and everybody I download from is "illegally" sharing their files, but I am okay because I am just downloading from them and NOT sharing it with anyone else??
you can download anything without a copyright. as far as i know thats the only way around the laws. i wouldnt do anything i thought might violate FEDERAL laws. thats just a place i dont wanna be.

Ranger Mom
12-28-2004, 02:47 PM
I think

That's what scares me!

I PAID FOR a two year subscription a couple of years ago to KAZAA with the "understanding" if I paid for it, then anything I downloaded, shared, etc, was legal!

I later found out that all I paid for was the right not to have ads on the page!

That scared me bad enough to delete everything I had downloaded!!

Holmes_Fans
12-28-2004, 02:49 PM
You're not gonna get sued

Ranger Mom
12-28-2004, 02:52 PM
You're not gonna get sued

Thanks, your Honor!!:p

NSUTrumpet08
12-28-2004, 04:13 PM
So what's the best file sharing program out there?

Holmes_Fans
12-28-2004, 04:15 PM
limewire for music; BitTorrent for other stuff

NSUTrumpet08
12-28-2004, 04:59 PM
Is it Free? And are there things you have to download besides the program?

Holmes_Fans
12-28-2004, 05:01 PM
www.limewire.com

Free and easy to use

pirate44
12-28-2004, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
That's what scares me!

I PAID FOR a two year subscription a couple of years ago to KAZAA with the "understanding" if I paid for it, then anything I downloaded, shared, etc, was legal!

I later found out that all I paid for was the right not to have ads on the page!

That scared me bad enough to delete everything I had downloaded!!
dont just listen to 1 person. do a little research. the copyright laws are easy to find on the internet. i dont think a judge will let you off scot free because someone told you it wasnt illegal. and ignorance of the law is no excuse. if you have any doubts, either err on the safe side or read the laws.

ILS1
12-28-2004, 05:05 PM
I really didn't like Limewire. They don't have a very big selection of music. They have a lot of spyware as well. Yes,the popular stuff will be on there but hard to find stuff you can't get it. I liked Kazaa but too much spyware. I had the same problem. I tried deleting all the adware and it would not work with out it. I reminse back to the days of when Napster first came out. Man,it was AWESOME in it's hayday!!! Scour was another great one!! Audiogalaxy (based out of Austin) was great as well,for music only. But that's all in the past now. All of these were eventually shut down!! Now,Napster is back and has gone legit. I believe Audiogalaxy is trying to go legit as well. I wanna try the new Napster but I don't feel like paying 99 cents a song!! All the others failed in comparison to these 3 P2P file sharing sites,IMHO!!

:)

Astrosdawg07
12-28-2004, 05:45 PM
This is straight from Limewires sight:

Copyright laws and laws pertaining to patents and inventions protect original works of authorship and inventions. Individuals who reproduce, distribute copies, receive copies, publicly perform or display works or inventions other than their own and without the consent of the owners or holders of rights, or their authorized agents, in original works of authorship or inventions, may be in violation of copyright, patent or other intellectual property infringement. Lime Wire LLC does not encourage or condone the illegal copying of copyrighted material. This is not intended to be legal counsel or advice. If you have any questions, consult your attorney.

The FTC works for the consumer to prevent fraudulent, deceptive and unfair business practices in the marketplace and to provide information to help consumers spot, stop, and avoid them. To file a complaint or to get free information on consumer issues, visit www.ftc.gov or call toll-free, 1-877-FTC-HELP (1-877-382-4357); TTY: 1-866-653-4261. The FTC enters Internet, telemarketing, identity theft, and other fraud-related complaints into Consumer Sentinel, a secure, online database available to hundreds of civil and criminal law enforcement agencies in the U.S. and abroad.

So....:nerd: :confused:

Astrosdawg07
12-28-2004, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by ILS1
I really didn't like Limewire. They don't have a very big selection of music. They have a lot of spyware as well.

Excerpt from FTC document "File Sharing: A Fair Share? Maybe Not":

Be aware of spyware. Some file-sharing programs install other software known as spyware. Spyware monitors a user's browsing habits and then sends that data to third parties. Sometimes the user gets ads based on the information that the spyware has collected and disseminated. Spyware can be difficult to detect and remove. Before you use any file-sharing program, you may want to buy software that can prevent the downloading of spyware or help detect it on your hard drive.be Not":

Limewire's respnose:
LimeWire Version 4.0 has absolutely no spyware or adware. Zero. None. We do not bundle any other software with LimeWire.

pirate44
12-28-2004, 05:58 PM
so according to limewire, it IS illegal to "Receive Copies". And the receiver is "Reproducing Copies". so all the people who are saying it is legal are just trying to justify the illegal actions they take.

CRHSeagle
12-28-2004, 06:04 PM
use ARES, no virus or that P2P stuff.