PDA

View Full Version : Anyobdy want to help me? (college related)

Necks_Fan
02-08-2008, 07:16 PM
So, I want to go to Rice and I want to go into Pre-Law and then into Maritime Law and I'm trying to research their program and other college's programs and I'm not having much luck.

Anybody know anything on this particular matter and help is always appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

WOS87
02-08-2008, 08:00 PM
As an alum of Rice I will tell you that they don't have an official "Prelaw" program (or at least they didn't when I was there) but they do have advisors that are very helpful in guiding you along the way. I would suggest contacting the Rice Prelaw advisor and asking him....

He should be listed at the following link:

Rice Office of Academic Advising (http://www.students.rice.edu/students/Major_Advisors.asp?SnID=686448209)

big daddy russ
02-08-2008, 08:32 PM
I'm a political science major, and I'd be willing to bet that 90% of the folks at SHSU who plan on going on to law school are in poli sci in some capacity. It's great preparation for law school and gives you some diversity with your options.

And honestly, once you really get into the meat of the stuff they're teaching you, it really hooks you. If you like stuff that has to do with law and you like history, this is the best of both worlds.

lakers
02-08-2008, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
I'm a political science major, and I'd be willing to bet that 90% of the folks at SHSU who plan on going on to law school are in poli sci in some capacity. It's great preparation for law school and gives you some diversity with your options.

And honestly, once you really get into the meat of the stuff they're teaching you, it really hooks you. If you like stuff that has to do with law and you like history, this is the best of both worlds.

I agree, political science is the best way to go if you are wanting to go pre-law. that way if you dont get in then you have something to fall back on...

And you better get ready to hit the books or change majors because that road isnt easy...

big daddy russ
02-08-2008, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by lakers
I agree, political science is the best way to go if you are wanting to go pre-law. that way if you dont get in then you have something to fall back on...

And you better get ready to hit the books or change majors because that road isnt easy...
It sure isn't. Granted, it isn't physics or organic chemistry, but it's incredibly writing intensive. Definitely prepares you for grad school. I can't count how many 20- and 15-page reports I had to do last semester. I wouldn't be exaggerating to say that I had no less than two reports (anywhere from six to 20 pages) due every week, along with two- or three-page essays due every day for one of my classes (I went twice a week).

But if you're really interested in the stuff, it's not that bad. I've had at least some level of interest of everything I've studied so far and they're all double-spaced, so it makes those reports much easier to write.

RMAC
02-08-2008, 09:39 PM
Don't go. Everybody says college is awesome, but they're lying. College is not fun; living by yourself and not having any rules anymore is awesome, not college.

Maroon87
02-08-2008, 10:14 PM
Necks if you can get into Rice, go for it. One of the best educations you can get in this country...

boudreaux
02-08-2008, 10:26 PM
Do the right thing if your good enough. Go to Texas or Havard. Thats about it.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
02-08-2008, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by RMAC
Don't go. Everybody says college is awesome, but they're lying. College is not fun; living by yourself and not having any rules anymore is awesome, not college.

This is very true.

I'm doing the same thing up at A&M, and it really isn't that bad all things considered, but I was Petroleum Engineering for three semesters before this. I had a change of heart and this is a lot easier than PETE ever was.