I would say that the favorites have to be in order

1. Columbia
2. Wharton/Needville
3. " "
4. Brookshire Royal
5. Sweeny
6. Stafford

Thoughts?

Columbia lost 1 Rb, 3 Ol, 2 Wr, 2 Dl, 1 S, K from a (4-6) team.

A few of these players played both ways and the Rb loss will most likely not be felt as we have 3 more. 1 key loss was the team mvp(Wr, S, P/Pr/Kr).

Wr should not be felt much other than the key loss, we have capable Wr's for next year.

Look for improved play from Qb Raley and they welcome back a player from 2 years ago who started at De as a Soph and will be back on the team next year as a senior.

He is a De/Rb.

Anyway, the biggest holes for this team will be S, OL.

We'll see how this turns out.

Any info like this on other district teams would be nice.

maestro
02-08-2008, 11:06 PM
sweeny won't be that low......

and needville reloads..

Centextrash
02-08-2008, 11:13 PM
Columbia
Needville
Sweeny
Royal
Wharton
Stafford...

fireman1
02-09-2008, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by Centextrash
Columbia
Needville
Sweeny
Royal
Wharton
Stafford...

i dont think Wharton will be that low

IHStangFan
02-09-2008, 12:10 AM
Needville lost Wilkerson, but have Hadjik coming up to fill his shoes along w/ Grant and company. I believe they also still have the big TE don't they? After what they did to Columbia this past year, I'd have to say the Jays are the early favs. I could be wrong though, Not exactly clear on who else they lost besides Wilkerson.

Necks_Fan
02-09-2008, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by fireman1
i dont think Wharton will be that low Me either.

I have them up there with Columbia and Needville.

Their JV is very good but I'm just not a huge fan of their coaches.

Needville does return some talent but obviously I'm going to pick Columbia as my #1.

As far as Sweeny goes,

They were not good and lose Jammer and other key players from last year. I dont think they can hang even though their coaches will make them play tough all year.

Gobbla2001
02-09-2008, 11:16 AM
Neederlandingtonville
Columbia/Wharton/Royal (dunno what order, but Neederwaldshire wins it)

poor sweeny poor stafford

boudreaux
02-09-2008, 11:20 AM
Its amazing how low Sweeney has dropped. They used to be very good every year. Yes times have changed for many programs. I wonder if Doug Reid retiring has a lot to do with it. I would suspect so.

Necks_Fan
02-09-2008, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by boudreaux
Its amazing how low weeney has dropped. They used to be very good every year. Yes times have changed for many programs. I wonder if Doug Reid retiring has a lot to do with it. I would suspect so. Remember, there are just personal opinions.

The talent down there seems to be gettin thinner and thinner though.

Centextrash
02-09-2008, 12:45 PM
Sweeny's School size has dropped....now they have around 550. They use to have in the 700's...

Wharton may have athletes...I But I heard some strange things about the tigers...

Royal? I just cannot get behind Royal, I'm sorry.

The Necks and the Jays are the class of the district.

Necks_Fan
02-09-2008, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Centextrash
Sweeny's School size has dropped....now they have around 550. They use to have in the 700's...

Wharton may have athletes...I But I heard some strange things about the tigers...

Royal? I just cannot get behind Royal, I'm sorry.

The Necks and the Jays are the class of the district. And I completely agree.

I just really have a sneaking suspicion about Wharton and I feel like their record last year was not a real reflection of their team.

They do have good talent but they are the team that nobody wants to play, ya know?

I still feel strongly about

1. Columbia
2. Needville

3. Wharton

4. Brookshire
5.Sweeny

6. Stafford

(The spaces indicate which level these teams are on.)

Top 3 should get interesting.

Should be very competitve.

maestro
02-09-2008, 07:38 PM
sweeny is not that low....

i know their j.h. teams and sub varsity teams have had success.

also, going by subvarsity teams...needville stays strong.

wharton's jv strong???

Necks_Fan
02-09-2008, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by maestro
wharton's jv strong??? Yes, very strong as a matter of fact.

That's why I put them at #3.

tigerpride_08
02-09-2008, 11:37 PM
after our struggles with the coach this year, i look for the tigers to come together in that offense...defense can be a problem..i wish i could stick around one more year, but i know they'll be good without me and the other leaving seniors..:clap:

Antec
02-10-2008, 11:28 AM
Can't blame Van Sant for not having Disciplien

Its Roberts who was ther, before, that he didn't isntill any discipline.

May take another year for Van Sant's to turn the program around

Wharon's offense was terrible last year without any above average= skilled position players.

Could be another tough year for the Tigers if kids don't buy into Van Sant's style of coaching.

Their pre-district is tough with the likes of Rice, Smithville, Bellvile, El Campo and Giddings.

Necked
02-10-2008, 12:23 PM
This is a evenly matched district. Should be just as fun to watch as last year. I like Needville to win out, but overall I feel the district is weak & won't matchup well with 25, so I'm expecting another sweep in the 1st round....

Dogs_21
02-10-2008, 12:51 PM
Sweeny will be ok they had one bad year last year....!!! And as far as there Talent goes they have plenty of talent coming up in the up coming Freshman and below classes who haven't lost a game in football ...And pretty good Jr.High Classes

maestro
02-10-2008, 04:50 PM
Wharon's offense was terrible last year without any above average= skilled position players.

I THINK THAT THIS STATEMENT SPEAKS VOLUMES OVER THE OLE " RELIABLE NO DISCIPLINE " ARGUMENT..

and the ole " standarded" I DISLIKE THEIR COACHES....

give me a break!!!

wharton's coaches have the respect of the district......but not the people in the community......go figure that one out...

roberts is gone.....LET THAT ARGUMENT DIE ALREADY...

it's talent......gone ave.

tigerpride_08
02-10-2008, 06:01 PM
discipline aside...this was about how the district will be...and our JV was very good last year...went 8-2 or 7-3 last year...it might be another down year, but i think it will turn out better than this past year...all the hard pre-district game will be played away...Smithville game will be down here...

astrofan
02-10-2008, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
Needville lost Wilkerson, but have Hadjik coming up to fill his shoes along w/ Grant and company. I believe they also still have the big TE don't they? After what they did to Columbia this past year, I'd have to say the Jays are the early favs. I could be wrong though, Not exactly clear on who else they lost besides Wilkerson.

Needville lost their big tight end (Trey Porras) along with most of their offensive line. However they have several solid kids coming up to fill the holes.

FormerBellvilleBrahma
02-10-2008, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by Necked
I feel the district is weak & won't matchup well with 25, so I'm expecting another sweep in the 1st round....

Lets go District 25!!!!!!

tigerpride_08
02-10-2008, 09:39 PM
we could see a playoff preview when Wharton travels to Giddings to play the buffs...Giddings lost alot, but i feel that our defense won't match up well against that offense...i also forgot that Wharton also will play at Bellville...

scrub c
02-11-2008, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
Neederlandingtonville
Columbia/Wharton/Royal (dunno what order, but Neederwaldshire wins it)

LMAO! :clap:

that is funny... (i love those commercials)

Necks_Fan
02-11-2008, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by Dogs_21
Sweeny will be ok they had one bad year last year....!!! And as far as there Talent goes they have plenty of talent coming up in the up coming Freshman and below classes who haven't lost a game in football ...And pretty good Jr.High Classes Sounds to me like that talent is a few years away.

Anyhow, after hearing more about Wharton I'm not so high on them.

Maybe Brookshire or Sweeny for the #3 spot.

fireman1
02-12-2008, 04:17 PM
i dont expect Wharton to be below .500 next season but then again I thought they would have been close to making the playoffs last year and we all know how that ended up sooo.....

carter08
02-13-2008, 05:51 PM
Honestly, I don't know what to say about this district.

Sealy and Columbus are gone. That leaves a very weak group.

I'd give Columbia the edge right now. Yeah, they went 4-6 last year, but next years senior class has had a lot of success in recent years. The class of '10 is pretty weak though. It'll all depend on staying healthy, and improved QB play.

Needville lost Wilk, but they should still be a threat.

Sweeny doesn't have much. Royal could be a darkhorse. Stafford sucks.

1. Columbia
2. Needville
3. Wharton
4. Royal
5. Sweeny
6. Stafford

g$$
02-13-2008, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by boudreaux
Its amazing how low Sweeney has dropped. They used to be very good every year. Yes times have changed for many programs. I wonder if Doug Reid retiring has a lot to do with it. I would suspect so.

Coach Reid was a fine coach & is a good man. I enjoyed playing for him. Losing coaches like him is never good long-term. We have lost others too but so does everybody else.

Sweeny turned in 591 kids I believe. Like Centex said, enrollment has dropped from 700s. Sweeny went 4A for 2 years in the late 1990s & made the playoffs both years & did well.

Sweeny has some kids on the way. JH teams have been strong & lower classes have some athletes. Coach Z & staff will have them ready to compete. 2 years ago we won district unbeaten & lost 3 rounds deep to eventual state champion LH. Last year was tough. Should be a battle for district title as always.

buff4life
02-13-2008, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by tigerpride_08
we could see a playoff preview when Wharton travels to Giddings to play the buffs...Giddings lost alot, but i feel that our defense won't match up well against that offense...i also forgot that Wharton also will play at Bellville...

Giddings has to find a quarterback or it won't matter if we're playing against air

tigerpride_08
02-14-2008, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by buff4life
Giddings has to find a quarterback or it won't matter if we're playing against air

the incoming QB will have big shoes to fill but how hard could it be to find a replacement?:p

buff4life
02-15-2008, 02:14 AM
Originally posted by tigerpride_08
the incoming QB will have big shoes to fill but how hard could it be to find a replacement?:p

we've got a few options at replacement from what i'm heard all with different talents..

one has the speed and quickness of Fitz, another has the brains and strength to run it...

gato 76
02-15-2008, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Coach Reid was a fine coach & is a good man. I enjoyed playing for him. Losing coaches like him is never good long-term. We have lost others too but so does everybody else.

Sweeny turned in 591 kids I believe. Like Centex said, enrollment has dropped from 700s. Sweeny went 4A for 2 years in the late 1990s & made the playoffs both years & did well.

Sweeny has some kids on the way. JH teams have been strong & lower classes have some athletes. Coach Z & staff will have them ready to compete. 2 years ago we won district unbeaten & lost 3 rounds deep to eventual state champion LH. Last year was tough. Should be a battle for district title as always.

I don't think its gets better for Sweeny they play Bay City this year.Bay City football schedule for 2008

Scrimmage St Pius

Dayton

Yates

Dickinson

Cuero

Sweeny

g$$
03-22-2008, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by gato 76
I don't think its gets better for Sweeny they play Bay City this year.Bay City football schedule for 2008

Scrimmage St Pius

Dayton

Yates

Dickinson

Cuero

Sweeny

But BC has been down too, more so than Sweeny. BC always had the athletes back in the day (lots of studs to say the least), so that well can't just be dry. Van Vleck legend & former NFL player Robert Blackmon may do the trick over there (remember him well & brother William "Boomer" Blackmon played when I did). They need to get the discipline & pride back because you can win at BC.

It will be interesting to see what happens. I have full faith in Coach Z & staff in Sweeny. They will be prepared, now the talent must grow up quickly for Friday nights.

jayfan1
03-22-2008, 09:12 PM
Needville lost SR. QB, TE,RB,Center,DE,LB,FS most of the O line.

I hope they "can" reload.

gato 76
03-22-2008, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by g$$
But BC has been down too, more so than Sweeny. BC always had the athletes back in the day (lots of studs to say the least), so that well can't just be dry. Van Vleck legend & former NFL player Robert Blackmon may do the trick over there (remember him well & brother William "Boomer" Blackmon played when I did). They need to get the discipline & pride back because you can win at BC.

It will be interesting to see what happens. I have full faith in Coach Z & staff in Sweeny. They will be prepared, now the talent must grow up quickly for Friday nights.

I guess i have not been on line lately,coach z will have the bulldogs ready for the city cats.What could be scary is if coach blackmon can get some of the kids that qiut as freshman back in the program.There is lots of talent roaming the halls in the land of the city cats.

Tenthehardway
03-22-2008, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by gato 76
I guess i have not been on line lately,coach z will have the bulldogs ready for the city cats.What could be scary is if coach blackmon can get some of the kids that qiut as freshman back in the program.There is lots of talent roaming the halls in the land of the city cats.

And now BC can go back to getting those kids from Van Vleck. Been some pretty good ball players come from the east side of Matagorda County and wear blue and gold.

gato 76
03-23-2008, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by Tenthehardway
And now BC can go back to getting those kids from Van Vleck. Been some pretty good ball players come from the east side of Matagorda County and wear blue and gold.

I know that is going to happen,he should have got the job when the Van Vleck position came open.I guess its there loss i see kids from VV wanting to play for Robert.

maestro
03-23-2008, 08:55 AM
flashback to the days when tidehaven, bay city, and van vleck were all doing great things.....

matagorda county glory days....

sweeny-van vleck was the SUPER BOWL......

no kidding....they used to put signs up saying WELCOME TO THE SUPER BOWL....

tons of talent...

gato 76
03-23-2008, 09:56 PM
I know with Robert Blackmon in charge the blackcats will get that swagger back.

Tenthehardway
03-23-2008, 09:58 PM
Blackmon's awfully inexperienced. Any reason Rayos didn't get a crack at it? Seems to me that he's earned it.

gato 76
03-23-2008, 10:10 PM
Blackmon's awfully inexperienced. Any reason Rayos didn't get a crack at it? Seems to me that he's earned it.

I think Robert going to get alot of the kids back in the program.He has turned the track program back around and i think he will back a very good HC/AD.The last few years Blackmon & Rayos have not been able to really do any coaching there hands were tied up,the last D/C they had was very inexperienced.I don't know why they have not given Rayos a shot at the HC/AD i don't even know if he even had his name in the ring.I really thought Mike Zierline was going to get the job,but he pulled his name out of the running.I think they were looking at somebody that was going to stay awhile and Blackmon was the best choice.I know they have some talent coming back,plus the kids he can get back in the program.

Tenthehardway
03-23-2008, 10:15 PM
Rayos wouldn't stay awhile? Hell, he grew up there and has been there since Trahan was there. Even when Edleman demoted him he stayed. Mike Z already went after the job once and they wouldn't even talk to him. He's not gonna beg'em. He's happy at Aikins, so he's not coming back. But Rayos just seems like the obvious choice to me. One of the best defensive minds Ive ever been around.

gato 76
03-23-2008, 10:35 PM
Rayos wouldn't stay awhile? Hell, he grew up there and has been there since Trahan was there. Even when Edleman demoted him he stayed. Mike Z already went after the job once and they wouldn't even talk to him. He's not gonna beg'em. He's happy at Aikins, so he's not coming back. But Rayos just seems like the obvious choice to me. One of the best defensive minds Ive ever been around.

Mike Z had his name in the hat,then from what ever reason he pulled his name out.I agree Rayos has been there a long time maybe he did not want it.I know him and coach Z are very good friends maybe it had something to do with the supt walton.I was told he was was going to stay out of the interviews when it came down to selecting the new hc/ad but i got a feeling that is why coach Z pulled out of the running.I guess blackmon will let rayos be the D/C he would be crazy not to.The city cats return 8 starters on defense and with rayos in charge the blackcats glory days a just around the corner.

Tenthehardway
03-23-2008, 10:41 PM
Well, I know Mike personally. Kinda hurt him when he wasn't considered the first time. Not gonna chase'em. And yeah, Dirty Dick being part of it would keep me away too.

gato 76
03-23-2008, 11:10 PM
Well, I know Mike personally. Kinda hurt him when he wasn't considered the first time. Not gonna chase'em. And yeah, Dirty Dick being part of it would keep me away too.

Losing him the first time was BC lost,the guy a great coach he proved that by helping rebuild the program at Lamar Cons.He will win at aikins its just a matter of time before he gets that program off the ground.