PDA

View Full Version : Brownwood, The Past and The Relevance

Rocket
02-08-2008, 04:33 PM
I am going to go ahead and talk about something that the Celinas, Brownwoods, Sweetwaters, Southlake Carrolls, and so on know a little about, and that is tradition, winning, and the past. One thing you need to understand is that there are 2 different types of success; One can be newfound and one can go hand in hand with reputation.

Newfound success would be a program that might win a state championship every 15-20 years, or even their first one ever. For example, Texas High in 2002. They came out of nowhere and won a state championship and established themselves as a legitimate powerhouse with continued success. They didn't show up with great talent one season, win, and then exit after that senior or junior class graduated. These are schools that rely on talent, rather than program or coaching. They pray to God that the talent they have that year will be good enough, and alot of times teams can go pretty far on talent alone, until that team meets up with a team that has talent and coaching, then its over. Also, these teams usually have no following until the 3rd round of the playoffs, because people 1. don't know how to handle success or 2. Don't believe it or 3. can't believe they survived one more week in the playoffs.

And then there are the teams that are trying to build a reputation and tradition on recent and continued success. These would be Liberty Hill, Abilene Wylie, Stephenville, Highland Park, Texas High, and so on. They are doing a great job of it for now and some of them have probably already arrived. Time will tell...

Success and a reputation of success is something that you cannot earn in one year, 3 years, or 5 years... it is earned over decades of winning and success. Many people say Brownwood hasn't done anything since Gordon Wood or the Nixon Presidency. That is ignorance talking. What Brownwood has been able to do since then is WIN. We have our down years, but never more than 1 in a row. Now if you measure success by State Championships, then no, we haven't been successful. At the same time, if you measure success with continuing to win year after year, then we upkeep the reputation. In 2002, we were 1 half away from our 8th. And have made numerous trips to the 3rd and 4th Rounds since the good ole days. I would rather have years of winning than 1 state championship and years of losing. Got it?

I know people hate to hear about Brownwood and their past, but what needs to be understood is that if we didn't know we had a chance to win or were good enough to be competitive enough to win a state championship, you wouldn't hear any talk from us about it. But instead, you hear about how excited we are to have dropped, and to finally be able to be on an even playing field. We thought the day would never come. Can we use numbers as an excuse? I think we have earned the right to after the last 4 years we have had to put up with. playing schools with 1800+ enrollment and playing (and beating) a 3A (Ab Wylie) with a higher enrollment in 2007.

The only thing that is left for opinions is when do you give a team the reputation with success card? Well, that is when you hear the name and are given the benefit of the doubt that they will be good unless proven otherwise based on reputation. It just takes 2-3 down years to lose it... and Brownwood hasn't lost it yet!

Trash talking is all fun. Please take any that I give as in fun. I will also do my best to eat the crow when it is time. I hate the taste, but someone that talks trash has to learn to like it sooner or later...

marler1972
02-08-2008, 04:35 PM
do you ever work?

Rocket
02-08-2008, 04:36 PM
I wrote that on my 15 minute break.... ;)

Old Tiger
02-08-2008, 04:38 PM
Celina 8
Brownwood 7

:D:p

pirate4state
02-08-2008, 04:41 PM
well, that was informative

thewyliefan
02-08-2008, 04:42 PM
you will never convince me that a school with more kids has the advantage in a game. (in regards to the last part about beating wylie who had more kids at the time)

Sweetwater Red
02-08-2008, 04:45 PM
That was a long read. I just scanned through it. Did it say
anything about Brownwood playing Snyder for third place in there
anywhere?:devil:

nobogey72
02-08-2008, 04:55 PM
Rocket,

You should have gone to the convenience store during your 15 minute break and bougt some pork rinds or something. You obviously have alot of us confused with people who might actually give a ---- about all that stuff you wrote. I actually read Moby Dick years ago and that was more fun. SORRY!!!!!

:( :( :( :(

Rocket
02-08-2008, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by thewyliefan
you will never convince me that a school with more kids has the advantage in a game. (in regards to the last part about beating wylie who had more kids at the time)

I understand... my point is that we were a 4A playing a 3A team with more students... does that make sense?

Old Dog
02-08-2008, 05:08 PM
Sounds like we should tell all of our coaches to just cancel the upcoming season; there is just no reason to play now. We all recognize what the Lions have done in the past and my hats off to them, but someone needs their hat resized!!!!!

Rocket
02-08-2008, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by nobogey72
Rocket,

You should have gone to the convenience store during your 15 minute break and bougt some pork rinds or something. You obviously have alot of us confused with people who might actually give a ---- about all that stuff you wrote. I actually read Moby Dick years ago and that was more fun. SORRY!!!!!

:( :( :( :(

I hear ya man... I was just venting about people that don't give the past any credit. We hear it all the time... but we continue to win and are not given any credit for it...

pirate4state
02-08-2008, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by Rocket
Then lets do away with classifications and have 1 State Championship. idiot... No need to call anyone an idiot. I know you are new to the board, but take it easy. Jeez.

44INAROW
02-08-2008, 05:13 PM
Just so you are aware - there are teams with tradition south of I-20 - one of them even won the Gordon Wood Award in 1998.

I have been thinking about that thread/post a few weeks ago - the one asking if you've hated/disliked/rooted against a team just because of 1 poster. If I could change my vote on that poll, I would. And please - stop with the name-calling for heaven's sake. :rolleyes:

I hear ya man... I was just venting about people that don't give the past any credit. We hear it all the time... but we continue to win and are not given any credit for it...

well you're going about it the wrong way:doh:

Old Dog
02-08-2008, 05:13 PM
Sorry that credit is not being given, but I for one, have great admiration for Brownwood's past and present. I've been really glad that we have been able to schedule them of late and have the classic this next year!

pero chato
02-08-2008, 05:14 PM
Señor Rocket:
You might want to cut and paste those last two lines into your signature. There's been a lot of crow served up on this website. All in good fun of course.

Txbroadcaster
02-08-2008, 05:15 PM
Hey Rocket..Ask WO-S about the drop down from 4A to 3A

Old Dog
02-08-2008, 05:17 PM
touche'

LH Panther Mom
02-08-2008, 05:18 PM
Rocket = Brownwood's answer to BillyFred. ;)

Snyder_TigerFan
02-08-2008, 05:19 PM
http://forum.digital-digest.com/images/smilies/1/bowing.gif

pirate4state
02-08-2008, 05:22 PM
Alright, let's not scare him away (I don't think that could happen) sometimes newbies just need a little extra time to adjust. They can't all be like bwdlion_80 :inlove: :cool: :D

nobogey72
02-08-2008, 05:23 PM

I'll give all the credit in the world to the kids and coaches that were on THOSE teams. :clap: :clap: However, Brownwood, or Wylie, or Celina, or whoever is nothing more (to me) right now, than the 40 or 50 kids and their coaches that will show up NEXT year on Friday nights.:) :)

Besides, if you keep talking about the past, some Snyder poster will be forced to talk about all their One Act Play success in the past.:D

Txbroadcaster
02-08-2008, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Alright, let's not scare him away (I don't think that could happen) sometimes newbies just need a little extra time to adjust. They can't all be like bwdlion_80 :inlove: :cool: :D

Well of course..he is not use to talking to us common folks who are not from the great program of Brownwood..hopefulyl he dont mind being down on our common simple level

Sweetwater Red
02-08-2008, 05:30 PM
They can't all be like bwdlion_80 :inlove: :cool: :D

My thoughts exactly. He came on here long before realignment
was announced and said nothing but how he couldn't wait for
football season and hope they would play this team and that
team.:clap:

I think the problem is he set the bar too high for the rest of the
Brownwood posters.:thinking: :D

Sweetwater Red
02-08-2008, 05:32 PM
I'll give all the credit in the world to the kids and coaches that were on THOSE teams. :clap: :clap: However, Brownwood, or Wylie, or Celina, or whoever is nothing more (to me) right now, than the 40 or 50 kids and their coaches that will show up NEXT year on Friday nights.:) :)

Besides, if you keep talking about the past, some Snyder poster will be forced to talk about all their One Act Play success in the past.:D

You mean One Act "Clay"?:D :devil:

nobogey72
02-08-2008, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
You mean One Act "Clay"?:D :devil:

Yeah, that too. Evan Ren's boy. Can he act? Speaking of that, I saw Powers Boothe(the other famous person from Snyder besides Black Magic) in a movie last night. It sucked. I turned it off and went back to Baywatch.:) :)

I'm pretty sure that Pamela Anderson is kin to that gal in PhantomStangs sig. (the one with the swole up chest):inlove:

Sweetwater Red
02-08-2008, 05:51 PM
Yeah, that too. Evan Ren's boy. Can he act? Speaking of that, I saw Powers Boothe(the other famous person from Snyder besides Black Magic) in a movie last night. It sucked. I turned it off and went back to Baywatch.:) :)

I'm pretty sure that Pamela Anderson is kin to that gal in PhantomStangs sig. (the one with the swole up chest):inlove:

The only movie he did that I liked was Red Dawn. I tried to watch
it the other night for the first time since I was a kid and couldn't
watch 10 minutes of it the acting was so bad.:(

Rocket
02-08-2008, 05:59 PM
I am as level headed as the rest...
Let's all pat each other's butt and say good luck have fun... wow that is fun...

Good Luck everybody!

I will tone it down... just doing what i do best and that is get topics going... Sorry about the posts, guys...

Runnin Panther
02-08-2008, 06:04 PM
Let's all pat each other's butt and say good luck have fun... wow that is fun...

Good Luck everybody!

I will tone it down... just doing what i do best and that is get topics going... Sorry about the posts, guys...

Come Rocket don’t back down now if was just getting fun. Plus you opened up a whole new can of worms with the butt slapping comment. You should look up that thread.:D :D

Sweetwater Red
02-08-2008, 06:06 PM

Good Luck everybody!

You don't mean any of it. You're just giddy cuz it's 5:00 Friday.:thinking: :D

Sweetwater Red
02-08-2008, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by Runnin Panther
Come Rocket don’t back down now if was just getting fun. Plus you opened up a whole new can of worms with the butt slapping comment. You should look up that thread.:D :D

Yep. I wonder if he knows some of those Snyder folks that
post on here.:devil:

LH Panther Mom
02-08-2008, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Runnin Panther
You should look up that thread.:D :D

Here you go :D (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=75677)

nobogey72
02-08-2008, 06:11 PM

Good Luck everybody!

Don't you dare tone it down. This has made my day. If you tone it down, I'll find out where you live and I'll hire someone from Snyder come throw one of their State Championship One Act Play trophys through your window. Keep it up, this is what gets us from now till August. :) :)

LH Panther Mom
02-08-2008, 06:13 PM
No need to apologize. We're all about having fun, especially when somebody fires things up. :D

I think you'll find that most everyone has the utmost respect for the history that Brownwood brings with them to 3A.

Sweetwater Red
02-08-2008, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom

I think you'll find that most everyone has the utmost respect for the history that Brownwood brings with them to 3A.

I believe that to be true also(including me). But, nobodies scared either.:devil:

LH Panther Mom
02-08-2008, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
But, nobodies scared either.:devil:
:clap: :clap:

Did I ever tell you my next favoritest color to purple is red? :D

Sweetwater Red
02-08-2008, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
:clap: :clap:

Did I ever tell you my next favoritest color to purple is red? :D

Good choice. :D

lostaussie
02-08-2008, 08:23 PM
well, that was informative no it wasn't, it was actually boring. Tatum won a 3a championship with the smallest enrollment in 3a. If you had accomplished something similiar then you could talk smack. come on and play, when you win talk some smack, until then you are BORING:D

Old Tiger
02-08-2008, 08:25 PM
I heard Celina wanted to play Brownwood week 3 but Brownwood was to scared so instead they scheduled an overrated Stephenville team.

ToroChingon
02-08-2008, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by thewyliefan
you will never convince me that a school with more kids has the advantage in a game.

That is pretty ignorant. So with your logic I guess Alto could play with Southlake. Southlake has more kids, but you can't be convinced that there is an advantage to that.

Old Tiger
02-08-2008, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by ToroChingon
That is pretty ignorant. So with your logic I guess Alto could play with Southlake. Southlake has more kids, but you can't be convinced that there is an advantage to that. That comparison is a bad one. He's talking about within a classification.

BEAST
02-08-2008, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
I heard Celina wanted to play Brownwood week 3 but Brownwood was to scared so instead they scheduled an overrated Stephenville team.

Brownwood damn sure is not ducking Celina. This game with The Ville has been set for 2 years. Texas Monthly rates the Brownwood/Stephenville rivalry as one of the top 10 things to see in the State of Texas. Due to redistricting we did not get to play them the last 2 years. If we could have dropped someone to schedule Celina we would have in a heart beat. We are not afraid of anyone.

BEAST

Old Tiger
02-09-2008, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by BEAST
We are not afraid of anyone.

BEAST I heard otherwise.

K-MAC Chuck
02-09-2008, 09:12 AM
When talking to each of the coaches in the realigned District 8-3A, each one first mentioned Brownwood when talking about the strength of the new Region I.

ASUFrisbeeStud
02-09-2008, 09:27 AM
I love it
This is great stuff
Already pissin off Brownwood posters
It's been a week
I think I'll start typing like Burnet44
Cause that's cool

Rocket
02-09-2008, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by Go Blue
I heard otherwise.

Well, actions speak louder than words... What week is Celina playing Liberty Hill? To compare the 2, I would be more afraid of Liberty Hill... how many repeating state champs are on Celina's schedule for next season? thought so...

Gobbla2001
02-09-2008, 10:58 AM
Brownwood ducking Celina?

I watched Bwood get their arses handed to 'em by Abilene High in '04... they don't duck anyone...

though I was sad to see 'em lose, that was some of the best bbq I ever had...

boudreaux
02-09-2008, 11:17 AM
Well, actions speak louder than words... What week is Celina playing Liberty Hill? To compare the 2, I would be more afraid of Liberty Hill... how many repeating state champs are on Celina's schedule for next season? thought so...

Celina will play LH in the playoffs possibly. And to answer the second question anyone they play in the playoffs.

Gobbla2001
02-09-2008, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by boudreaux
And to answer the second question anyone they play in the playoffs.

there are that many repeating state champs in 3A? goll-leeeee...

Rocket
02-09-2008, 11:35 AM
My point is that somebody is saying we are scared to play Celina and I was letting them know we are the one with a defending state champ on the schedule and they are the ones with the state chumps on the schedule.

Sweetwater Red
02-09-2008, 11:39 AM
My point is that somebody is saying we are scared to play Celina and I was letting them know we are the one with a defending state champ on the schedule and they are the ones with the state chumps on the schedule.

There are going to be posters on here that say you recruit,
shave your enrollment numbers, dodge quality opponents, or
say your stadium sucks. That doesn't make any of true. :thinking: