PDA

View Full Version : DISD in more trouble? UH OH!!

kaorder1999
02-08-2008, 11:26 AM
New DISD grade changing allegations point at principal

08:06 AM CST on Friday, February 8, 2008

By BRETT SHIPP / WFAA-TV

DALLAS — Problems continue to mount for the Dallas Independent School District as new allegations of improper grade changing once again point at high school administrators.

In this new case, the accusations come from a Skyline High School teacher, who says he too was retaliated against after trying to speak out.

John Stine says over the last eight months he has had a strange daily routine. He walks into work, signs in and then walks out to head home. He has no kids, no classes and gets full pay.

Stine said this all began after he was kicked out of his classroom by his principal last year. Ever since, he said he has been paid not to come back.

"It ruins you," he said. "I'm there to teach kids."

In the fall of 2006, Stine was a first-year teacher. He was a business professional turned educator that was hired by Skyline to prepare students for the world of media production. Admittedly, he said his expectations and standards were high.

"And I told the students, if you do the work, you will pass," he said. "The students who refused to do the work or any of the assignments failed."

In his first grading period, the vast majority of his students did do the work. For example, in his first period class, only four students failed.

But then Stine said he was approached by administrators. He said they told him he was being too tough on his kids, specifically his athletes.

A few weeks later, he said he learned that the associate principal, Ward English, had slashed through any grade 72 or below and round it up to 75.

According to the Texas Education Code, "a course grade issued by a classroom teacher is final and may not be changed unless the grade is arbitrary, erroneous or inconsistent with the District's grading policy." The grade change must also be reflected on an official grade change form.

"Mr. English should be able to come up with that grade change form that I signed if I agreed to it. Stine said. "I would like to see that grade change form."

In a written response, English said he did not fill out a grade change form "as a matter of expediency," and that Stine was "in agreement that the grades should be changed".

Stine said the improper grade change undermined his authority over his students; and when he filed a complaint, he was removed from his classroom. Now, he said he is being paid to stay away.

Stine is just the latest teacher to allege grade change abuse made by a principal. The first accusation arose at South Oak Cliff High School. And more recent accusations were made at Roosevelt High School.

In all three cases, DISD officials said they are investigating. However, in all three cases, no principal has been disciplined.

Stine said until that happens, the only pay off for speaking out that he has seen is payback.

"One of the reasons why teachers don't stand up for what's right at DISD is when you do, you get retaliated against like you do with me," he said.

E-mail bshipp@wfaa.com

pirate4state
02-08-2008, 11:27 AM
:doh: :doh: :doh:

what a mess!

NastySlot
02-08-2008, 12:15 PM
paid to do nothing.......wow.

kaorder1999
02-08-2008, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by NastySlot
paid to do nothing.......wow.

yeah...and I thought my gig was easy!

pirate4state
02-08-2008, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
yeah...and I thought my gig was easy!

run away, run away :D

JR2004
02-08-2008, 12:28 PM
Velt's in trouble and now Skyline is about to get hit. If someone would just turn Lincoln in for the many different violations they've committed over the years that'd be the icing on the cake.

kaorder1999
02-08-2008, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
Velt's in trouble and now Skyline is about to get hit. If someone would just turn Lincoln in for the many different violations they've committed over the years that'd be the icing on the cake.
:D

This should get interesting! WFAA and DMN is on the attack!

DeeStroyer71
02-08-2008, 12:29 PM
I can see the district asking for and probably getting his pay back for doing nothing. In the whole big scheme of things he will be the one screwed. The others will probably be reassigned, but with a job. He on the other hand is in deep stuff. He will be held accountable way before the district and the administration will be.

JR2004
02-08-2008, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
:D

This should get interesting! WFAA and DMN is on the attack!

You can gaurantee that both of those news outlets are going to be froze out by DISD coaches and administrators for the forseeable future.

My good friend at Samuell doesn't even answer or return calls from the DMN at all and hasn't for several years now. He had talked to WFAA recently for a story they did about a player he has that's deaf. If the story hadn't brought positive attention about the kid's unique situation, he wouldn't have spoke with them either.

DeeStroyer71
02-08-2008, 12:37 PM
You have to love the Media. They are right all the time.

kaorder1999
02-08-2008, 12:38 PM
someone posted on the old coach about a story about Argenti being in todays Dallas Morning News but I cant find it

Adidas410s
02-08-2008, 01:10 PM
You should see the Tech boards lighting up over this story. Keanon Cooper commits to Tech and says he wants to give other schools plenty of time to find a replacement for him. Then he switches his commit the afternoon before NSD...but it's announced by Spencer Reeves who was believed to have no way in hell of qualifying academically. Then the next day the Minnesota Rivals board reports that "no worries...Reeves is gonna qualify!" after he signs his LOI to Minnesota. Then 2 days later...WFAA reports on Skyline players getting their grades changed.

Don't forget these facts:
- Minnesota was 1-11 in 2007
- Minnesota signs a Top 15 Recruiting class with SEVEN 4* players.
- Four kids from Skyline (2 of whom are/were not expected to qualify) sign to play at Minnesota
- Minnesota has a new $300 million stadium opening in 2009 and early ticket sales are REALLY lagging.

:thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

3afan
02-08-2008, 03:49 PM
You can gaurantee that both of those news outlets are going to be froze out by DISD coaches and administrators for the forseeable future.

My good friend at Samuell doesn't even answer or return calls from the DMN at all and hasn't for several years now. He had talked to WFAA recently for a story they did about a player he has that's deaf. If the story hadn't brought positive attention about the kid's unique situation, he wouldn't have spoke with them either.

funny how some people/institutions blame the media when THEY "mess up" and it gets reported

JR2004
02-08-2008, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
funny how some people/institutions blame the media when THEY "mess up" and it gets reported

Being froze out by DISD administrators or coaches goes back farther than this stuff that's happening right now. Part of it is a general distrust of the local media and their motives.

My good friend has froze them out for things that have absolutely nothing to do with any of the things that have happened at SOC, Velt or Skyline. I 100 percent agree with why he ignores them.

Txbroadcaster
02-08-2008, 04:19 PM
Being froze out by DISD administrators or coaches goes back farther than this stuff that's happening right now. Part of it is a general distrust of the local media and their motives.

My good friend has froze them out for things that have absolutely nothing to do with any of the things that have happened at SOC, Velt or Skyline. I 100 percent agree with why he ignores them.

Yea darn that media for uncovering illegal actions in a school system

JR2004
02-08-2008, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Yea darn that media for uncovering illegal actions in a school system

Insert Bob Knight quote here to describe the media and where it's at on the profession ladder.

BuffyMars
02-08-2008, 07:02 PM
Insert Bob Knight quote here to describe the media and where it's at on the profession ladder.

It belongs above people who blame the media for catching them doing wrong things

JR2004
02-08-2008, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by BuffyMars
It belongs above people who blame the media for catching them doing wrong things

media...joke.

Txbroadcaster
02-08-2008, 07:13 PM
media...joke.

I agree the media can be a joke(ex the Romo/Simpson trip)

But people that blame the media for their own problems is just as much a joke.

JR2004
02-08-2008, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
I agree the media can be a joke(ex the Romo/Simpson trip)

But people that blame the media for their own problems is just as much a joke.

I'm trying to figure out where someone in DISD has blamed the media for their issues.

boudreaux
02-08-2008, 10:43 PM
The deal is the media only comes out WHEN you screw up. I'm not against the media fairly reporting a schools activities. When they only report bad and never good that's not fair. But we all know to sell papers and stories it must be something bad for people to read of see. Sad state of our society when tats all they want to read about. The media only gives its readers what it thinks they want. This is fueled by the advertising dollars and paper sales, which is the money needed to keep the paper going. I have no problem with the media reporting bad stuff, they just never report the good. I agree with JR let them dig for it.