PDA

View Full Version : Do you buy generic??

Ranger Mom
02-07-2008, 10:05 PM
I do on some things, like milk...to me, milk is milk.

But....I GOTTA have my Jif, Miracle Whip and Nature's Own Honey Wheat bread.

What can you NOT buy the generic brand of??

Oh yeah....gotta have my Charmin too!!:D

shackina
02-07-2008, 10:13 PM
velveta cheese!!!

coach
02-07-2008, 10:14 PM
oreos, soft drinks, shampoo and soap, i cant think right now but those are the main things

Ranger Mom
02-07-2008, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by shackina
velveta cheese!!!

Oh yeah....I made that mistake exactly ONCE!!!

Diocletian
02-07-2008, 10:36 PM
I'm sure most of us here buy generic medicines covered by insurance, unless you just have too much money to spend..

Ranger Mom
02-07-2008, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by Diocletian
I'm sure most of us here buy generic medicines covered by insurance, unless you just have too much money to spend..

Most definitely...I make a point to ASK for them!!

Also can foods.....they all taste the same to me!

lepfan
02-07-2008, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I do on some things, like milk...to me, milk is milk.

But....I GOTTA have my Jif, Miracle Whip and Nature's Own Honey Wheat bread.

What can you NOT buy the generic brand of??

Oh yeah....gotta have my Charmin too!!:D I hate charmin!!!! We have that argument at our house...and since i am the one wo goes to the store most of the time...I buy Angel Soft! I must have my Peter Pan...I just about went bonkers until it came back on the market...you should have heard me in the store when I discovered it was BACK!!!!!! Another is Diet Coke...there is NO substitute for that.

44INAROW
02-07-2008, 10:42 PM
We'll buy generic in some things - but like you guys - we have our favorites that we only buy the "name brands" I have found that the HEB brand (Hill Country Fare green beans for example) are better than the Green Giant - I'll buy the HCF tomato sauce, sugar and picante sauce but I'll agree on the Velveta and cheese singles - gotta go with Velveta and Kraft on my cheese :cool:

pirate4state
02-07-2008, 10:44 PM
Sometimes.

Things I can't have generic of: mustard (French's), ketchup (Heinz), mayo (Hellmann's), cheese (Velveta), pickles (Vlasic) ... I'm sure there are other items, but those are the ones I can remember right now.

shackina
02-07-2008, 10:45 PM
Crown and Coke not the generic!

pirate4state
02-07-2008, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by lepfan
I hate charmin!!!! We have that argument at our house...and since i am the one wo goes to the store most of the time...I buy Angel Soft! I must have my Peter Pan...I just about went bonkers until it came back on the market...you should have heard me in the store when I discovered it was BACK!!!!!! Another is Diet Coke...there is NO substitute for that. I like Angel Soft too and 9 times out of 10 it's CHEAPER!!!

I prefer Jif over Peter Pan :D

Blastoderm55
02-07-2008, 11:00 PM
We buy as many generic or store brand items as are available for the same products we enjoy. I love those Vlassic sandwich stacker pickles, but I can get twice as many Hill Country Fair hamburger chips for half the price. There are exceptions, of course, but mostly due to lack of store-brand, reduced calorie options like Light Ranch dressing and bread. Of course, when there are specials that we can't pass up, we'll go with the name brands. :)

Oh, and water. Sorry, but the HEB and Sam's water don't taste as good as good ole Ozarka, and I'll live with the $0.02 more per bottle. :D

Phantom Stang
02-07-2008, 11:03 PM
Miracle Whip
Skippy CREAMY Peanut Butter
Charmin

injuredinmelee
02-07-2008, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by shackina
velveta cheese!!!

amen my brother

injuredinmelee
02-07-2008, 11:28 PM
Cottonelle with Aloe. Gotta have it.

Hope that painted a pretty pic for all of you.

Ranger Mom
02-07-2008, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
amen my brother

That would actually be "my sister"!!:D

big daddy russ
02-07-2008, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
Cottonelle with Aloe. Gotta have it.

Hope that painted a pretty pic for all of you.
I'm a big fan of Angel Soft with aloe, but you can't find it anywhere. My fiance's a fan of Cottonelle with aloe, so we compromise on Charmin with aloe. Honestly, as long as it has aloe, it's all good.

We actually look for some generic brands. You folks out in West Texas aren't lucky enough to be exposed to HEB, but their generic brands are many times better than the name brands, and they're by far the cheapest grocery store I've ever shopped at. Roughly the same price as Food Town... maybe a little cheaper if you shop the meal deals and combo locos. United just doesn't compare.

But HEB's Texas Bold Sweet and Smoky BBQ sauce is the best I've ever used, and I BBQ quite a bit. Beats the hell out of KC Masterpiece (which I don't like much anyways), Jack Daniels, Bulls Eye, Stubb's, and Sweet Baby Ray's. I honestly don't even know if they still make it, but I had stocked up with roughly 15 bottles of the stuff the last time I saw it and they lasted me until a month or two ago.

Since then, we've gone with the new HEB Specialty Series Texas BBQ sauce (they have different sauces that take on the characteristics of local BBQ in different areas like Kansas City, the Carolinas, Texas, Memphis, etc.), and it's the second-best mass-produced sauce I've ever tried.

But I never skimp on toilet paper, Velveeta Easy Melt, hygeine products, and cleaning products. They cost more because they work better.

DU_stud04
02-08-2008, 12:09 AM
oil.... one thing i defiantly do not buy the generic brand.

big daddy russ
02-08-2008, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
oil.... one thing i defiantly do not buy the generic brand.
Good call, DU. That and gas. Actually, there are only a few brands of motor oil that I trust. I use Castrol personally, but don't mind any of the big oil company house brands (Texaco, Mobil, Exxon are all very good). I stay away from generic stuff and Pennzoil like the plague. My dad and I rebuilt an old 350 that used Pennzoil. Engine was gunked up like you wouldn't believe. Talked to one of his buddies who's a mechanic, said that Pennzoil does that to all engines over time.

My pickup ('03 GMC Sierra half ton 2wd with the V6) gets less than 15 mpg on Wal-Mart, Kroger, and Race Trac gas. On name brands, it gets between 16 and 17, and they're better for the truck.

Unless it's a significant difference in price (more than a dime a gallon), I've learned better than to buy generic.

ASUFrisbeeStud
02-08-2008, 12:56 AM
We buy alot of HEBs central market products, we eat mostly organic foods so they are more expensive anyways.

DU_stud04
02-08-2008, 02:04 AM
one thing i hate is toilet paper that feels softer than a pillow.... i like it rough and defiantly not feeling like im wiping with what i sleep on. give me the 24 rolls for 4$ and im happy

generic sodas are awesome.

generic cereal rocks

generic chips are awesome cause i dont feel as bad when i dont get any when my friends eat the all.

another thing i dont buy generic..... koolaid.

beer, i dont like the cheap stuff, keystone, beast light. i like my beer tasting like a beer.

im a big fan of most of the heb brands..... i wish they ahd one closer to the metroplex. :(

i like the generic pb crunchy....even if it does have salmonella

generic bread is good as long as its soft. i do like my potato bread though...

i dont do the generic shampoos....

OOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHH

big one..... dont ever get me some generic charcoal... ill spit and then burn your food after the dog chews on it a bit. get me kingsford.(i prefer the mesquite :D)

other than that, as long as the quality doesnt drop as much as the price does and i dont hear "you pay for what you get".... im happy with generic.

Ranger Mom
02-08-2008, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ

You folks out in West Texas aren't lucky enough to be exposed to HEB, but their generic brands are many times better than the name brands, and they're by far the cheapest grocery store I've ever shopped at.

We have had an HEB in Midland for YEARS!!!

crzyjournalist03
02-08-2008, 10:21 AM
I actually like Wal-Mart's canned chili better than Wolf, Hormel, or any brand names!

Things I refuse to buy generic though: sodas, shoes (and I don't buy Nike), batteries, beer.

Sweetwater Red
02-08-2008, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Most definitely...I make a point to ASK for them!!

Also can foods.....they all taste the same to me!

I buy brand name can foods because I've been burned before.
I've opened up green beans and corn only to find stems and
pieces of stalk. I'm right there with you on the Miracle Whip and
Charmin though.

Buckeye1980
02-08-2008, 12:16 PM
Velveeta, Wolf Brand Chili, Coors Light , I gotta have

Will not buy ANY meat from Wal Mart

44INAROW
02-08-2008, 12:35 PM
well - it looks like we're just all about in agreement - There is NO SUBSTIUTE for VELVETTA ;)

Sweetwater Red
02-08-2008, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Buckeye1980
Velveeta, Wolf Brand Chili, Coors Light , I gotta have

Will not buy ANY meat from Wal Mart

I forgot about chili. I only buy Wolf also. I bought Austex chili
one time. I took one bite and fed the rest to my dogs.

crzyjournalist03
02-08-2008, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
I forgot about chili. I only buy Wolf also. I bought Austex chili
one time. I took one bite and fed the rest to my dogs.

isn't that the one that calls their chili "hot dog sauce?"

AP Panther Fan
02-08-2008, 01:36 PM
My youngest daughter will only eat the generic spaghetti o's from Walmart. They are nasty, but then again, so are the brand name ones.

Sweetwater Red
02-08-2008, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
isn't that the one that calls their chili "hot dog sauce?"

They have their hot dog sauce and own version of Dinty Moore
beef stew also. I haven't tried either one after the chili experience.

Has anybody else ever heard of Panburger Partner. It's the
generic version of Hamburger Helper sold here at Brookeshire's.:doh:

injuredinmelee
02-08-2008, 02:22 PM
crackers is one thing I wont eat generic in. I have to have my zestas

Reds fan
02-08-2008, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red

Has anybody else ever heard of Panburger Partner. It's the
generic version of Hamburger Helper sold here at Brookeshire's.:doh: [/B]

As with a lot of B Bros generics - stay away from Panburger Partner:dispntd:

Phantom Stang
02-08-2008, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Reds fan
As with a lot of B Bros generics - stay away from Panburger Partner:dispntd:
"Panburger Partner", sounds like something MAD TV would make up.

shackina
02-08-2008, 04:52 PM
thanks ranger mom " my sister"!
if everyone agrees on VELVETA why are there other brands on the market?
one one can be that STOOPID and buy it more than once?!?