PDA

View Full Version : Garrett Gilbert commits to Texas

Adidas410s
02-07-2008, 05:47 PM
Just curious...but why would a kid that comes from a spread offense that throws the ball want to play at Texas??? I get that he's from Austin (Lake Travis) and grew up a UT fan...but their current "system" (whatever it might be) doesn't exactly fit his profile.

Also, what is Mack Brown trying to do offensively?? They go from a pro style, 3 WR sets with Applewhite/Simms...to the spread option with Vince...then the a hybrid spread option/passing attack with McCoy...to a power running attack with McCoy handing off to Charles. Meanwhile, he's signed 2 QB's in Chiles and Harris that are spread option QB's and just now gets a commit from a QB who comes from a pass first, pass second, and pass some more offense.

Now throw in that they're still going after Russell Shepard from Cy-Ridge. Again...another spread option QB.

Is anybody else as confused as I am??? :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

kepdawg
02-07-2008, 05:48 PM
I am not confused. :)

injuredinmelee
02-07-2008, 05:52 PM
maybe he ants to be on a team that is almost always a yearly contender and has a great football history. Maybe he sees the amount of kids that UT has put into the NFL. The Tech qbs have gotten a reputation, whether right or wrong, as system qbs. Heck two of them under Leach are palying in the new football league and didnt even get a sniff of the field in the pros.

cameron91
02-07-2008, 05:54 PM
just the signed of thing to come..i guess they're doing this to show greg davis can call more plays now beside the bubble screen:D , you're right every year texas changes their style , but it a good thing..my question is where will russell sheppard end up.

Adidas410s
02-07-2008, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
maybe he ants to be on a team that is almost always a yearly contender and has a great football history. Maybe he sees the amount of kids that UT has put into the NFL. The Tech qbs have gotten a reputation, whether right or wrong, as system qbs. Heck two of them under Leach are palying in the new football league and didnt even get a sniff of the field in the pros.
So join the team and hope that you get to play??? I know Tech wanted him but I didn't think there was any chance he would end up in Lubbock. However, I just don't see how Texas is a good "fit" for his talents? If all he wants to do is be part of a good team...then great go to Texas. However, that doesn't sound like something a 5* QB would do. I would think that Cal, USC, Oklahoma, or even Texas A&M (assuming Sherman goes with an NFL style offense) would be the best fit for his talent.

Yes...Tech would be a good fit too...but until they break the system QB tag (Harrell has a chance of being drafted in the first day) they won't draw any elite QB's...regardless of what some homer fans might think. :rolleyes:

BuffyMars
02-07-2008, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
So join the team and hope that you get to play??? I know Tech wanted him but I didn't think there was any chance he would end up in Lubbock. However, I just don't see how Texas is a good "fit" for his talents? If all he wants to do is be part of a good team...then great go to Texas. However, that doesn't sound like something a 5* QB would do. I would think that Cal, USC, Oklahoma, or even Texas A&M (assuming Sherman goes with an NFL style offense) would be the best fit for his talent.

Yes...Tech would be a good fit too...but until they break the system QB tag (Harrell has a chance of being drafted in the first day) they won't draw any elite QB's...regardless of what some homer fans might think. :rolleyes:

Maybe he is looking at the fact Applewhite is on the offensive staff and feels they will go more torwards what they an when Applewhite was the QB

LH Panther Mom
02-07-2008, 06:20 PM
Who cares why he chose what college he did? And heck, what's wrong with a kid choosing the college he's been a fan of his whole life? :confused: Maybe, just throwing this out there, but maybe he might actually be choosing UT because of the education and not thinking about his potential pro career. :eek: :eek: (I'm PRETTY sure if there is potential for that career, the guys in the NFL already know all about him.)

injuredinmelee
02-07-2008, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by BuffyMars
Maybe he is looking at the fact Applewhite is on the offensive staff and feels they will go more torwards what they an when Applewhite was the QB

i think Applewhite will be OC in two years.

cameron91
02-07-2008, 06:31 PM
look at it like this :

2008 - McCoy - jr
Chiles - Soph

2009 - McCoy - Sr
Chiles - Jr
Gilbert - reshirts

2010 - Major Head Ball Coach
Chiles - Sr
Harris - Sr
Gilbert - red shirt freshman

2011 - Gilbert - # 1 QB ......... 3 YRS OF RUNNIN MAJOR OFFENSE

LH Panther Mom
02-07-2008, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by cameron91
look at it like this :

2008 - McCoy - jr
Chiles - Soph

2009 - McCoy - Sr
Chiles - Jr
Gilbert - reshirts

2010 - Major Head Ball Coach
Chiles - Sr
Harris - Sr
Gilbert - red shirt freshman

2011 - Gilbert - # 1 QB ......... 3 YRS OF RUNNIN MAJOR OFFENSE
Won't Gilbert be a freshman in 2009? (I get where you're going, though.)

buff4life
02-07-2008, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Won't Gilbert be a freshman in 2009? (I get where you're going, though.)

i think he meant redshirts so ya he would be

cameron91
02-07-2008, 06:40 PM
yes , but to you play him with Mccoy being a SR . Chiles a jr , and harris a jr..I would sit him so I can have hime for 4 good years.

LH Panther Mom
02-07-2008, 06:55 PM
yes , but to you play him with Mccoy being a SR . Chiles a jr , and harris a jr..I would sit him so I can have hime for 4 good years.
:doh: :doh: Slap me so I can read better. I totally missed the '09 redshirt, and thought you meant him redshirting the '10 season.

cameron91
02-07-2008, 07:05 PM
lol..hell i'm from cameron sometimes we miss spell our words. but we try to get our point out. sometime we have to draw picture to show you what we're talkin about :D

kepdawg
02-07-2008, 07:27 PM
:doh: :doh: Slap me so I can read better. I totally missed the '09 redshirt, and thought you meant him redshirting the '10 season.

Wouldn't he redshirt in 08, be a redshirt freshman in 09, etc...

LH Panther Mom
02-07-2008, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
He graduates in '09, so he'll be a Sr in 08. ;)

kepdawg
02-07-2008, 07:33 PM
He graduates in '09, so he'll be a Sr in 08. ;)

Oh yeah! He's still got another year of high school! That's even better!

Old Tiger
02-07-2008, 07:37 PM
Gilbert is the best QB prospect since Matthew Stafford.

IMO Shephard will be like a Michael Crabtree type.

JR2004
02-07-2008, 08:49 PM
Also, what is Mack Brown trying to do offensively?? They go from a pro style, 3 WR sets with Applewhite/Simms...to the spread option with Vince...then the a hybrid spread option/passing attack with McCoy...to a power running attack with McCoy handing off to Charles. Meanwhile, he's signed 2 QB's in Chiles and Harris that are spread option QB's and just now gets a commit from a QB who comes from a pass first, pass second, and pass some more offense.

Is anybody else as confused as I am??? :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

I don't have any problem whatsoever with UT tailoring the offense to the personnel available. It's what good head coaches do.

Adidas410s
02-07-2008, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
I don't have any problem whatsoever with UT tailoring the offense to the personnel available. It's what good head coaches do.
Why wouldn't good coaches recruit players to fit the system they have in place?? Ya know...the do one thing, do it well mentality??

How many other schools do what Texas is doing?? Florida goes after speed to fit their offense. Michigan was a pro style offense with the prototypical QB in Mallett...but once RR comes in he's not going to adjust his system to Mallett...he goes after players who fit the offense that he runs.

JR2004
02-07-2008, 09:20 PM
Why wouldn't good coaches recruit players to fit the system they have in place?? Ya know...the do one thing, do it well mentality??

How many other schools do what Texas is doing?? Florida goes after speed to fit their offense. Michigan was a pro style offense with the prototypical QB in Mallett...but once RR comes in he's not going to adjust his system to Mallett...he goes after players who fit the offense that he runs.

The coaches recruit the best players available and if they want to change the offense to the players they've recruited, that's a great move on their part to do that.

You fit the system to the capabilities of the players you have, not vice versa. Not every coach does it, but it's a good move by Mack Brown to give his staff the flexibility to change the offense and tailor it to the personnel. I don't care too much for coaches who force a player to completely adapt to them and their philosophy. For the most part, I like coaches and coaching staffs that do what UT does.

cshscougar08
02-07-2008, 09:46 PM
Michigan was a pro style offense with the prototypical QB in Mallett...but once RR comes in he's not going to adjust his system to Mallett...he goes after players who fit the offense that he runs.

You're right that he won't be adjusting for Mallet. Since Mallet won't be there at all.

Adidas410s
02-07-2008, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by cshscougar08
You're right that he won't be adjusting for Mallet. Since Mallet won't be there at all.
true...true...now I just hope the NCAA doesn't grant him a waiver at Arkie.

cshscougar08
02-07-2008, 09:59 PM
I don't see why they would. Why is he pursuing a waiver anyway?

Adidas410s
02-07-2008, 10:01 PM
Trying to get permission to play in 08 instead of having to wait a year...

cshscougar08
02-07-2008, 10:01 PM
Well yeah, but any particular reason why he would be an exception to the rule?

Adidas410s
02-07-2008, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by cshscougar08
Well yeah, but any particular reason why he would be an exception to the rule?

"extenuating circumstances"

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/scorecard/cfootballnews.asp?articleID=225117

cshscougar08
02-07-2008, 10:04 PM
That's a bunch of bull. I hope he doesn't get it either. Extenuating circumstances my butt. Not fitting the offense doesn't count.

Matthew328
02-07-2008, 10:25 PM
I bet Shepherd ends up at Michigan or LSU

cameron91
02-07-2008, 10:44 PM
it all depends on what sheppard wan't to play..if he want to play QB i also see him at mich. but if he want to play wide out don't be surprised to see him commett to texas. we will all know b/c this weekend he'll be at UT for JR DAY.. plus sheppard and major have became real close :inlove:

Old Tiger
02-08-2008, 04:31 PM
i plus sheppard and major have became real close :inlove: True....Major was recruiting Shephard when he was at Alabama and Shephard really likes Major.

Gontex
02-10-2008, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by kepdawg
No, he will be a high school senior in '08. He won't go to UT until '09.