Ranger Mom
02-07-2008, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by charlesrixey
nm

FYI only

WOW!

injuredinmelee
02-07-2008, 12:30 PM
dang he was the candidate that I was most similar to in beliefs.

Adidas410s
02-07-2008, 12:31 PM
WOW...then again too many christian conservatives in Texas won't vote for him based on religious differences...and without Texas he doesn't stand a chance.

Adidas410s
02-07-2008, 12:34 PM
Fox News reporting that he's "suspending" his campaign.

charlesrixey
02-07-2008, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Fox News reporting that he's "suspending" his campaign. probably to try and hurt huckabee

but he's gone

wonder how it will help huckabee

Buccaneer
02-07-2008, 12:41 PM
WOW...then again too many christian conservatives in Texas won't vote for him based on religious differences...and without Texas he doesn't stand a chance.

They aren't supporting McCain either.

Adidas410s
02-07-2008, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Buccaneer
They aren't supporting McCain either.
true. Though Huckabee doesn't have a chance if all he's winning is the South. Not only will he not have enough votes for the nomination...he would get KILLED in the general election.

He has the feel of a Ross Perot w/ a little Jesus sprinkled in for flavor. IMO, the time has passed in this country in which somebody with a religious background can win a national election. They can do well in the South...but will struggle in the rest of the country.

BobcatBenny
02-07-2008, 01:04 PM
. . . Though Huckabee doesn't have a chance if all he's winning is the South. . . .

. . . IMO, the time has passed in this country in which somebody with a religious background can win a national election. . . .
I disagree. Maybe not this time around, but it could happen.

And if it doesn't after four years everyone in country will find religion and be praying for something better. :D

Buccaneer
02-07-2008, 01:05 PM
Who is going to be McCain's choice for vice-president?

Guliani ? Romney? Huckabee?

charlesrixey
02-07-2008, 01:07 PM
Who is going to be McCain's choice for vice-president?

Guliani ? Romney? Huckabee?

huckabee or florida's bill crist

McCain has to win the south to have any chance, and he may not do it on his own

big daddy russ
02-07-2008, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by charlesrixey
huckabee or florida's bill crist

McCain has to win the south to have any chance, and he may not do it on his own
Or it may be someone else entirely. Those two have been speculated a lot, but we may see a darkhorse enter the ballot, especially if Obama wins the Democratic ticket.

Aesculus gilmus
02-07-2008, 01:14 PM
He has regained his sanity.

Why would anyone want to be President given what is coming economically (and already here, for some in other states)?

Buccaneer
02-07-2008, 02:24 PM
Best time to get elected. If things get worse you blame it on the previous adminstration. When economy improves you take all the credit

JR2004
02-07-2008, 02:29 PM
Thank goodness for this news.

SWMustang
02-07-2008, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Or it may be someone else entirely. Those two have been speculated a lot, but we may see a darkhorse enter the ballot, especially if Obama wins the Democratic ticket.

darkhorse? I'm sure that was unintended.

Aesculus gilmus
02-07-2008, 02:39 PM
Best time to get elected. If things get worse you blame it on the previous adminstration. When economy improves you take all the credit

You probably don't remember the Jimmy Carter years then. He tried that approach and we see how he is viewed by historians—one of the worst ever.

Adidas410s
02-07-2008, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by BobcatBenny
I disagree. Maybe not this time around, but it could happen.

And if it doesn't after four years everyone in country will find religion and be praying for something better. :D
It could happen eventually...but not in the forseeable future. A pastor/minister/etc from "the South" won't win California or New York. He won't play all that well in Michigan, Ohio, or Florida (just a transplated NE state in terms of voting) either.

JasperDog94
02-07-2008, 04:24 PM
Crap.....:mad: :mad: :mad:

That's all I have to say about that.

XtremeCouture
02-07-2008, 07:01 PM
romney is still my write in vote

BrahmaMom
02-07-2008, 08:37 PM
Mine, too. McCain may be able to pick up Tx with the retired military here. Romney was my personal fave. He suspended in a topnotch manner. Maybe this was his way to gain name recognition for a second try at Pres later?

JHS_c/o_06'
02-07-2008, 11:17 PM
Romney won't be able to run in 2012 because McCain is going to be the president and will run again.

Or Obama will win, and as i have suspected, and am 100% serious when i say, he is the Anti-Christ and the world will end in 2012 as predicted by the all those ancient civilizations.

Highschoolfan78
02-07-2008, 11:28 PM
First of all, I'm loving the Colbert sig.. Have you read his book yet? It's just a compiled book of humorous input from Mr. 08 himself, Colbert... 2nd of all, in the predictions of Nostradamus, There's one more in a cycle of 3. Napoleon was the first, the second was Hitler, and one more to come. All 3 emerge as powerful figures in times of transition and times of change. In the meantime, with all of America's problems, we still live in the greatest nation on Earth.

Originally posted by JHS_c/o_06'
Romney won't be able to run in 2012 because McCain is going to be the president and will run again.

Or Obama will win, and as i have suspected, and am 100% serious when i say, he is the Anti-Christ and the world will end in 2012 as predicted by the all those ancient civilizations.

big daddy russ
02-07-2008, 11:40 PM
Bush was blamed for the country's economic downturn when he took office when it actually started during the previous presidency (a byproduct of the NAFTA signing). When the economy started booming again a couple years later, he never got credit for it. Just a byproduct of the Clinton regime.

Aesculus gilmus
02-08-2008, 09:13 AM
I'd say getting reelected was a pretty good reward.

The economy was booming, it turned out, because of rampant fraud in the real estate/mortgage financing industry.

The U.S. has been losing manufacturing jobs on a steady basis for about the last 30 years. This was a way to mask that continuing phenomenon for a few years.

big daddy russ
02-08-2008, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by Aesculus gilmus
I'd say getting reelected was a pretty good reward.

The economy was booming, it turned out, because of rampant fraud in the real estate/mortgage financing industry.

The U.S. has been losing manufacturing jobs on a steady basis for about the last 30 years. This was a way to mask that continuing phenomenon for a few years.
You're dead on about the US losing manufacturing jobs (and tons of other jobs) the past 30 years, but it wasn't just the real estate market that was driving the economy. The lion's share had to do with the energy industry and the economy that was tied to the war (the theory that war is bad for economic development was crushed during the 20th century), with tons more defense personnel making tons more money. Signing bonuses were and still are insane for joining the Army and Marines. Whenever I checked into it in the late-90's, the largest signing bonus offered by any branch of the military was $20k. On the other hand, three years ago a friend of mine received a $60k bonus from the Army plus a huge forgiveness of student loans, initiating more buying power.

Now the economy in Michigan has been terrible for a while, along with many regional economies in the Northeast and upper Midwest, but we've been pretty prosperous all-in-all.

And honestly, I think the '04 election was more about the Dems throwing out a weak candidate with a poor plan who the public thought had little integrity rather than Bush being overwhelmingly popular. Remember, Bush's approval rating at the time of the election was in the low-30's.

PS: Clean out your inbox.

Gobbla2001
02-09-2008, 10:51 AM
I usually go conservative, but I'm thinking about strategy now that Romney's gone...

McCain? scares the crap out of me...

Hillary? Uhhhh no.. every time I see her roll her eyes at a state of the union "grow up" pops in my head... her popularity (and her being elected senator in the first place) are a result of pitty from what happened with Bill and her being in the White House for 8 years (she has a name)...

Obama? This is my favorite candidate... I dunno why, I just look at the guy and I can trust him... I know that his economic plan is a tad shaky (plus the fact that I'm more conservative minded than moderate/liberal), but I think he'd be a good bipartisan president and would be a decent bridge to the republican president in '12...

Huckabee? Is that how you spell his name? He's the biggest brown-noser left right now (if he's still left, haven't watched the new or read the paper today or the day before)... what a freakin' loser... I don't even want to hear or read his name right now honestly... he needed to drop out and let Romney and McCain go at it, but instead him and McCain worked out some behind closed doors plan to push Romney away...

And I'm really shocked that Rudy! Rudy! Rudy! didn't last a lot longer... that has to be the story of this election...

Aesculus gilmus
02-09-2008, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
The lion's share had to do with the energy industry and the economy that was tied to the war (the theory that war is bad for economic development was crushed during the 20th century), with tons more defense personnel making tons more money.

Most people on this board do not remember Vietnam and the immediate aftermath of it. What you are saying is true at first, in terms of the effects of military Keynesianism (aka "priming the pump" economically).

But there is always a time lag effect of the wartime spending causing rampant inflation afterwards. That's what hit Ford and Carter in the 1970s. That's also when Nixon closed the gold window. This, too, was an after-effect of the "guns and butter" approach of LBJ.

Then finally Fed Chairman Paul Volcker jacked up the prime interest rate to 21.5 percent to "break the back of inflation" (also causing the deepest recession since the 1930s).

Also, I think you are "Texas-centric" in your analysis. This state still has an energy industry (most of the U.S. states are net energy importers) and has always also had a disproportionate share of the military-industrial complex spending.

I've noticed over the years that residents of this state will cheer on ANY war, no matter how much mindless death and destruction it causes, because of this kind of economic thinking.

I think we have reached the "end game" of this military Keynesian "solution" to our economic problems. All "we" (i.e., the U.S. military) can do now is fire off the remaining cruise missiles, this time mounted with nukes, and end life on the planet.

bobcat1
02-09-2008, 07:11 PM
Romney left the republican ticket running McCain down. Can we just keep GW?Romney hands Democrats McCain's Playbook (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080209/ap_on_el_pr/romney_playbook_1)

JasperDog94
02-09-2008, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001

Obama? This is my favorite candidate... I dunno why, I just look at the guy and I can trust him... I know that his economic plan is a tad shaky (plus the fact that I'm more conservative minded than moderate/liberal), but I think he'd be a good bipartisan president and would be a decent bridge to the republican president in '12... Obama has one of the most liberal voting records in the Senate...more liberal that Hillary.

And for the record I have no idea what I'm gonna do. I WILL vote because I feel that it's my civic duty, but there are no conservatives left in the race.:(

bobcat1
02-09-2008, 09:10 PM

Obama? This is my favorite candidate... I dunno why, I just look at the guy and I can trust him... I know that his economic plan is a tad shaky (plus the fact that I'm more conservative minded than moderate/liberal), but I think he'd be a good bipartisan president and would be a decent bridge to the republican president in '12...

Someone cut this guy off. Too much friggin whiskey! :hand:

This a muslim man. His holy book tells him to hate all infidels. Infidels are Christians and anyone else non-muslim. He is instructed to kill all infidels.

And you want him to hold the most powerful office in the world??? Open them eyes. Anyone other than Hillary or Obama. I would rather have George back for 4 more years. I don't like Mc Cain or Romney but I ain't voting a dang muslim or an Arkansas Crooked Lawyer into office ever, Not on my watch sir!.

Gobbla2001
02-10-2008, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by bobcat1

This a muslim man. His holy book tells him to hate all infidels. Infidels are Christians and anyone else non-muslim. He is instructed to kill all infidels.

And you want him to hold the most powerful office in the world??? Open them eyes. Anyone other than Hillary or Obama. I would rather have George back for 4 more years. I don't like Mc Cain or Romney but I ain't voting a dang muslim or an Arkansas Crooked Lawyer into office ever, Not on my watch sir!.

isn't he a member of The Church of Christ?

Emerson1
02-10-2008, 10:13 AM
"He has been a member of Trinity United Church of Christ for over twenty years."

Gobbla2001
02-10-2008, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1
"He has been a member of Trinity United Church of Christ for over twenty years."

I bit my tongue at work the other day when we were talking about candidates... I work with a true nascar breathing redneck and he says "I aint voting for no Muslim" and I said "he's a member of the Church of Christ or something I believe."... a "Well once a Muslim always a Muslim" type comment followed and I just zipped it and went back to work...

I don't really like Obama any more than any of the other candidates honestly... I just think he may be okay for four years and may be more willingly to work with both sides on issues...

not a strong crop of candidates this year IMHO and their strengths and weaknesses almost balance out...

bobcat1
02-10-2008, 12:11 PM
Yes he is a member but I bet he is still Muslim. Anyone can join any church and be living a lie. All those 9/11 guys were just normal people too until it was too late. That man ain't right boys and girls. I bet we change as a nation if he is elected. God help us all if we elect him or Hillary.

Gobbla2001
02-10-2008, 12:24 PM
Yes he is a member but I bet he is still Muslim. Anyone can join any church and be living a lie. All those 9/11 guys were just normal people too until it was too late. That man ain't right boys and girls. I bet we change as a nation if he is elected. God help us all if we elect him or Hillary.

still muslim? he was never a muslim...

his father was a non-practicing muslim and became athiest, his mother was an athiest... he was never raised muslim (you should bash him for being raised by an athiest more than a muslim, because he wasn't raised muslim)...

Obama lived in a muslim country when he was younger, and attended a muslim school for a short period of time (because it was in a muslim country), but he was never muslim...

he has never mentioned being muslim and has been practicing christianity for over 20 years, why would he hide being muslim for 20 years?

You can't believe every bit of spam that crawls into your inbox (or the rumors that branch off of that spam)... if you do, you might as well give your bank-account number to "Frolad from Inkeskistan" who has that "business proposition" for you that will help both you and him gain "millions of dollars" once his money is "transferred to an american bank"...

JasperDog94
02-10-2008, 12:28 PM
still muslim? he was never a muslim...

his father was a non-practicing muslim and became athiest, his mother was an athiest... he was never raised muslim (you should bash him for being raised by an athiest more than a muslim, because he wasn't raised muslim)...

Obama lived in a muslim country when he was younger, and attended a muslim school for a short period of time (because it was in a muslim country), but he was never muslim...

he has never mentioned being muslim and has been practicing christianity for over 20 years, why would he hide being muslim for 20 years?

You can't believe every bit of spam that crawls into your inbox (or the rumors that branch off of that spam)... if you do, you might as well give your bank-account number to "Frolad from Inkeskistan" who has that "business proposition" for you that will help both you and him gain "millions of dollars" once his money is "transferred to an american bank"... If the man says he's not a muslim, then I will believe him until he proves or says otherwise.

However, the "church" that he belongs to is more interested in Africa than in Christ. I have a bigger problem with that than the fact that in the past he may or may not have been a muslim.

Gobbla2001
02-10-2008, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
If the man says he's not a muslim, then I will believe him until he proves or says otherwise.

However, the "church" that he belongs to is more interested in Africa than in Christ. I have a bigger problem with that than the fact that in the past he may or may not have been a muslim.

as long as your opinions are based on fact then it's alllll good :thumbsup:

bobcat1
02-10-2008, 08:29 PM
Muslim or not? (http://www.politicalgateway.com/main/columns/read.html?col=754) No respect or allegiance (http://www.warriorsfortruth.com/Obama-Muslim.html)

big daddy russ
02-10-2008, 09:02 PM

ROFL. Man, educate yourself on the Quran before you spout off lies like that.

The reason Hezbollah has gained such a large cult status in Lebanon and Syria is because they provided much-needed health health care and education for the children in the regions and basically purchased the hearts of their parents, so their radicalist teachings found a way into the lives of the average, underpriviledged Muslims. For suicide bombers, the radicalists promise education, health care, and that they'll take care of their families' financial needs, along with a place in heaven aside Allah. These are basic needs that these people may not be able to provide otherwise.

Mass emails by toothless, uneducated rednecks from Arkansas and Mississippi (you can include certain members of my family in that group) have painted Islam as a violent religion. Nothing can be further from the truth. They also tell us that a jihad is a holy war. Which is the truth, just not in the way that we think.

There are two jihads. An inner jihad and an outer jihad. The most important is the inner jihad... the war against your human will to do evil. The other is the outer jihad... the battle to live a life that the prophets (prophets like Muhammed and JESUS CHRIST... yes, he's one of their prophets, and they worship the same God as Christians like me, but believe in a different way to heaven) have told them to live. Which includes many of the same beliefs that most Christians have come to believe, including turning the other cheek.

Quran Verse 10:99
"If it had been thy Lord's Will, they would all have believed, all who are on earth! Wilt thou then compel mankind, against their will, to believe!"

Basically, that says Allah doesn't want them to force anyone to believe. And before you say, "But it doesn't say they shouldn't kill all Zionists!!!!," read this...

Quran 2:190-193.
"Fight in the cause of Allah those who fight you, but do not transgress limits; for Allah loveth not transgressors.
And slay them wherever ye catch them, and turn them out from where they have turned you out; for tumult and oppression are worse than slaughter; but fight them not at the Sacred Mosque, unless they (first) fight you there; but if they fight you, slay them. Such is the reward of those who suppress faith.
But if they cease, Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.
And fight them on until there is no more tumult or oppression, and there prevail justice and faith in Allah; but if they cease, let there be no hostility except to those who practice oppression."

That's the main verse that the extremists use when arguing for terrorism. But here's a verse from 8:12 that talks directly about the above verse:

"But if the enemy incline towards peace, do thou (also) incline towards peace, and trust in God: for He is One that hears and knows (all things)."

The extremists are sinning in the eyes of their own religion, but much like David Koresh twisted the words of the Bible to suit his own ends, these people have twisted the words of the Quran to suit their own ends. They're the David Koreshes fo the Muslim world.

Quran,11:18
"Who does more wrong than those who invent a lie against Allah? They will be turned back to the presence of their Lord, and the witnesses will say, "These are the ones who lied against their Lord! Behold! The curse of Allah is on those who do wrong!"

I know several Muslims who have been affected by religious extremists on two fronts: by Americans who are now afraid of them and because they despise the extremists and the reputation they've given to their core beliefs.

Finally, one of the websites where I pulled some of these quotes from pointed this out. From our (I'm assuming yours and I know mine) own Christian Bible, check out these verses. Anyone could be twisted the same way extremists have twisted the Quran.

"34 Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword.

35 For I have come to turn " 'a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law—“ KJV-Matthew10

Remember, we're from Texas. We're supposed to be more educated than Mississippians. Please, try to act like it.

big daddy russ
02-10-2008, 09:04 PM
You can't believe every bit of spam that crawls into your inbox (or the rumors that branch off of that spam)... if you do, you might as well give your bank-account number to "Frolad from Inkeskistan" who has that "business proposition" for you that will help both you and him gain "millions of dollars" once his money is "transferred to an american bank"...
Amen, Gob.

Ranger Mom
02-10-2008, 09:08 PM
This went from discussing a candidate that dropped out to discussing CURRENT candidates!!

Shame shame!!

bobcat1
02-11-2008, 06:04 AM
Okay BDR show my uneducated mind the light on these quotes:

O believers, take not Jews and Christians as friends; they are friends of each other. Those of you who make them his friends is one of them. God does not guide an unjust people. - 5:54

Prophet! Make war on the unbelievers and the hypocrites and deal sternly with them. Hell shall be their home, evil their fate. - 66:9

Fight unbelievers who are near to you. 9:123 (different translation:
Believers! Make war on the infidels who dwell around you. Let them find harshness in you. (another source: ) Ye who believe! Murder those of the disbelievers....

“When ye meet the unbelievers smite at their necks” (Koran 47:4).

That last verse makes this alright I guess. Beheading of Paul Johnson (http://www.warriorsfortruth.com/beheading-photos-paul-johnson.html)

Beheading of Nick Berg (http://www.warriorsfortruth.com/nick-berg-video-photos-beheaded.html)

Korean beheading (http://www.warriorsfortruth.com/korean-beheading-video.wmv)

If you want to keep your head buried go ahead. Maybe he is Maybe Not. Why risk it? (http://www.warriorsfortruth.com/Obama-Muslim.html)

bobcat1
02-11-2008, 06:11 AM
Mass emails by toothless, uneducated rednecks from Arkansas and Mississippi (you can include certain members of my family in that group) have painted Islam as a violent religion. Nothing can be further from the truth. They also tell us that a jihad is a holy war. Which is the truth, just not in the way that we think.

I may be a toothless redneck but when you fly planes into buildings and kill innocent people as was done on 9/11 you ain't worshiping a God like mine. Peaceful religion my aching arse. Get those liberal glasses of Russ and Goobla before it's too late. Surely y'alls generation doesn't believe that HS being sent out. Look with your eyes boys. They are strapping bombs to themselves to bring honor to Allah. Yea that's peaceful alright.

gatordaze
02-11-2008, 07:41 AM
As a non-Baptist in Baptist land I can attest to the influence of the formative years. I support my kids community involvement from a church perspective and listen intently as they express "their" developing beliefs as they attend church with their friends.

I am generally comfortable that what they are learning as is not significantly different than my beleifs, as I am simply another flavor of Christianity.

I do not believe that I could say the same if they were being influenced at a Muslim Church. Could you? Would you let your children attend a Muslim Church because "they all worship the same God"?

When the peaceful Muslims denounce the radical ones in mass (there are millions of them) then I will accept that there are more than one flavor of Muslim. Until them, Barak would have been better served to keep his childhood name of Barry!

charlesrixey
02-11-2008, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by JHS_c/o_06'

If McCain is elected, he will only serve one term

gatordaze
02-11-2008, 08:02 AM
If he was in third grade as a Muslim and joined the church 20 years ago, what did he beleive in the middle? Here is his flavor of Christainity...