PDA

View Full Version : Andrews HC Finalists per Odessa American

Phantom Stang
02-07-2008, 10:46 AM
Football: Eight picked to interview for Andrews job

BY CRAIG CRAKER
Jan 30, 2008 2:16 pm

The Andrews Independent School District has narrowed a list of 96 applicants down to eight for its vacant athletics director and head football coach position.

Littlefield head coach and athletic director Bryan Huseman; former Canyon Randall coach Alan Cornelius; Greenville head coach and athletic director Jeff Cordell; McCamey head coach and athletic director Jay McWilliams; La Marque head coach and athletic director Chris Jones; Sweetwater assistant and former Andrews assistant Al Hunt; Sweetwater head coach and athletic director Kent Jackson; and Goldthwaite athletic director and head coach Gary Proffitt all will be interviewed in the next week.

The position has been open since the end of the 2007 football season, when Blaine Springston’s resignation went into effect.

The school district had initially hoped to hire before the UIL realignment, which will be released Friday, but with some interviews scheduled for next week that won’t happen.

Messages left with Andrews ISD Superintendent David Mitchell have not been returned.

Jeff Cordell: athletic director and head football coach at Class 4A Greenville
Cordell is in his second season at Greenville, compiling a 6-14 record. Previously he coached three seasons at Class 3A Gainesville, winning the Class 3A Division I state title in the 2003-04 season and making the Class 3A Division I state finals the 2005 season.

Alan Cornelius: former Canyon Randall and Denver City head coach.
Hereford native compiled a 91-66-1 record at Canyon Randall before asking to be reassigned at the end of the 2006 season. Led Randall to the Class 4A state semifinals in 1997.

Al Hunt: assistant head football coach and offensive coordinator at Class 3A Sweetwater
Former Andrews offensive coordinator was candidate for Andrews’ top job in 2002

Bryan Huseman: athletic director and head football coach at Class 2A Littlefield
His 2006 Littlefield team advanced to the Class 2A Division I state championship game

Kent Jackson: athletic director and head football coach at Class 3A Sweetwater
Seminole native led Odessa High to the boys track and field state title in 1992; led Sweetwater to the Class 3A Division II semifinals in 2005.

Chris Jones: head football coach and athletic director at Class 4A La Marque
Went 9-3 and advanced to area round of the Class 4A Division II playoffs last season. Coached at Class 2A Refugio before La Marque, compiling a 34-14 record and never missing the playoffs. Refugio won three consecutive district titles with Jones at the helm and went 11-2 in 2006, advancing to the Class 2A Region II semifinals.

Jay McWilliams: head coach and athletic director at Class 1A McCamey
Andrews native and graduate. McCamey teams have made playoffs eight consecutive seasons and advanced to the Class 1A Division I state championship game in 2006.

Gary Proffit: athletic director and head football coach at Class 1A Goldthwaite
Won two state titles at Goldthwaite when a 2A school in the 1990s.

www.oavarsity.com/sports/coach_997___article.xml/director_head.html

pirate4state
02-07-2008, 10:48 AM
wow - I didn't know Chris Jones had applied!!!

kepdawg
02-07-2008, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state

Don't you read the board! :doh:

LH Panther Mom
02-07-2008, 10:49 AM
:doh: :doh:

Sweetwater Red
02-07-2008, 10:50 AM
Interviews are over. Jackson interviewed yesterday. They'll
probably have a decision by Monday or Tuesday.

pirate4state
02-07-2008, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by kepdawg
Don't you read the board! :doh:
Obviously, I haven't been paying attention.

kepdawg
02-07-2008, 10:55 AM
Obviously, I haven't been paying attention.

Obviously!

DeeStroyer71
02-07-2008, 11:10 AM
Funny how Andrews is a better job than Lamarque. yes I know it will pay better. Class 4A to 3A. Funny

kepdawg
02-07-2008, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by DeeStroyer71
Funny how Andrews is a better job than Lamarque. yes I know it will pay better. Class 4A to 3A. Funny

What's funny about it? A's are often overrated!

LH Panther Mom
02-07-2008, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by kepdawg
What's funny about it? A's are often overrated!
Maybe "this" would've made more sense. ;)

Funny how Andrews is a better job than Lamarque.
yes I know it will pay better.
Class 4A to 3A.
Funny

pirate4state
02-07-2008, 11:19 AM
Talk about overrated!

Ranger Mom
02-07-2008, 11:39 AM
Funny how Andrews is a better job than Lamarque.
yes I know it will pay better.
Class 4A to 3A.
Funny

ROFL!!!!

Priceless!!

What a nn:p

Johnny Utah
02-07-2008, 11:57 AM
Andrews is smaller, West Texas football, better facilities, pay, and better place and atmosphere to raise a family. JMO.