PDA

View Full Version : Roger Clemens Developement

Old Tiger
02-07-2008, 02:22 AM
Got this from another site but I can't find a link, sorry. Clemens may be done

McNamee gives vials, syringes, gauze pads to investigators

NEW YORK -- Brian McNamee gave federal prosecutors syringes and other physical evidence his lawyers say back the personal trainer's allegations of drug use by Roger Clemens, who returns to Capitol Hill on Thursday in hopes of rebutting the accusations.

Clemens, who gave a deposition Tuesday, is scheduled to hold one-on-one meetings with members of the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform.

A spokeswoman for Rep. Elijah Cummings (D-Md.), a committee member, said a representative for Clemens contacted Cummings' office Wednesday to set up a meeting with the lawmaker.

Cummings spokeswoman Jen Kohl said several other committee members were also asked to meet individually after the report that McNamee had given federal prosecutors physical evidence surfaced.

Cummings is expected to meet with Clemens on Thursday morning. Kohl said Clemens would be asked to appear with Cummings at a press conference after the session, though she said it's doubtful he'd accept the invitation.

A source told The Associated Press that Clemens is also scheduled to meet with Rep. Tom Davis, the committee's ranking Republican.

On Wednesday evening, a representative of Clemens said that the pitcher was not scheduling additional meetings just to refute McNamee's latest allegations.

"Roger has been interested in sitting down one-on-one with members of the committee for quite awhile," said Lanny Breuer, one of Clemens' lawyers. "We began scheduling these meetings before we heard about Mr. McNamee's latest stunt."

McNamee is due to meet with committee staff Thursday morning to give his own deposition, and his legal team said it will bolster his story with details of the evidence.

His side turned over gauze pads and syringes they said had Clemens' blood to IRS Special Agent Jeff Novitzky in early January, a person familiar with the evidence said, speaking on condition of anonymity because McNamee's lawyers did not want to discuss details publicly. The syringes were used to inject Clemens with steroids and human growth hormone, the person said. A second person, also speaking on condition of anonymity, said the evidence was from 2000 and 2001.

"I think this is a significant point in the case. We believe that this is significant corroboration," said McNamee's lead lawyer, Earl Another Coach.

Breuer called McNamee's allegations "desperate smears" and said the trainer "apparently has manufactured evidence."

"It is just not credible," Breuer said in a statement. "Who in their right mind does such a thing?"

Richard Emery, another of McNamee's lawyers, said the committee will be given a description of the evidence that was turned over to prosecutors.

"It does change the nature of the case from a he-said, she-said to something about physical evidence," Emery said.

Doping expert Don Catlin said steroids could still be detected in a sample that old.

"But if you don't find it, it doesn't mean it wasn't there before," said Catlin, who added there are sure to be chain of custody issues.

He said HGH would be much less stable.

After his five-hour sworn deposition Tuesday, Clemens said that he again denied using performance-enchancing drugs.

By denying under oath that he used performance-enhancing drugs, Clemens put himself at legal risk if prosecutors determine his testimony wasn't truthful.

Keith Ausbrook, the committee's Republican general counsel, told the AP the committee was not aware that such physical evidence existed.

"Unknown and unexpected evidence comes in at all times in any investigation," Ausbrook wrote in an e-mail. "We will still need to examine McNamee's evidence and hear what he has to say."

Emery said McNamee's legal team planned to hold a news conference following their client's deposition in Washington on Thursday and will discuss the evidence in greater detail then. Because the items were turned over several years after the events under discussion, Clemens' side could challenge whether they were tampered with.

"Brian McNamee is obviously a troubled man who is obsessed with doing everything possible to destroy Roger Clemens," Breuer said in a statement. "McNamee ... lied to Senator Mitchell, he lied to the federal government and now he apparently has manufactured evidence. He has changed his story repeatedly on this matter. He claims to love Roger Clemens, he says he modeled being a father on Roger Clemens, he said Roger treated him like family -- but he now claims he kept blood, gauze and needles from Roger Clemens for seven years. It defies all sensibility."

Emery said it was unnecessary for McNamee's side to persuade the Justice Department that the evidence was authentic.

"They'll decide themselves what they believe is the case and make their own decisions based on the facts as they have it. All we know is what we believe is the truth," he said.

Clemens and McNamee are to testify at a committee hearing next Wednesday along with Pettitte, former Yankees second baseman Chuck Knoblauch and Kirk Radomski, the former New York Mets clubhouse attendant who pleaded guilty in April to felony charges of distributing steroids and laundering money. He is scheduled to be sentenced Friday in federal court in San Francisco.

"Roger is looking forward to testifying before Congress next week to set the record straight," Breuer said. "He will not waiver, nor will he shrink from this because he is telling the truth. We ask all fair-minded people to listen. It is time for Brian McNamee to be subject to the same scrutiny as Roger Clemens."

injuredinmelee
02-07-2008, 02:47 AM
I cant figure out why this guy would keep those syringes and the other things for this long unless he intended to use them as blackmail.

bobcat1
02-07-2008, 05:53 AM
Exactly my thoughts Injured. If they test positive to be from Roger, that makes him a cheat, but it makes the other guy a complete Rat. If it doesn't test out to be Roger's blood, then they should throw the book at this idiot.

rancher
02-07-2008, 08:50 AM
The big question why would this guy risk so much by committing perjury and violating his agreement with the Feds, if he did not have the evidence. Roger may have just taken a left hook on this one by his statements. Look at Andy, he was completely open and honest and for his part the attention had died.

BuffyMars
02-07-2008, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by rancher
The big question why would this guy risk so much by committing perjury and violating his agreement with the Feds, if he did not have the evidence. Roger may have just taken a left hook on this one by his statements. Look at Andy, he was completely open and honest and for his part the attention had died.

Why did he wait till now to show proof? Why not show the proof when the Mitchell investigation was questioning him?

Who saves a bloddy gauze for 8 years?

Technoredneck
02-07-2008, 09:18 AM
And even if Roger's blood does happen to be there, there is still the issue of if he gave Roger something he (Roger) was unaware of? How often do YOU check the contents of a syringe your Dr. is giving you?

BobcatBenny
02-07-2008, 09:21 AM
Sorry, but the production of syringes would carry negative weight with me after seven years. It is absolutely insane behavior. It wreaks of a shake down.

We can think Clemens is lying all we want, but it would be difficult to prove what this guy alledges.

And if you want to use the what is the trainers motivation to lie theory as proof, then I will present the case of the kid declaring to Cal with a full media press conference, the Duke Lacrosse rape case or just flat out extortion as a defense for Clemens.

Certainly professional athletes have pressure on them to cheat, but Clemens is under no obligation to incriminate himself.

Unlike the female athlete that grows testicles, it is difficult to say by looking at a man whether or not he has taken steroids or such.

LH Panther Mom
02-07-2008, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Technoredneck
How often do YOU check the contents of a syringe your Dr. is giving you?
I wouldn't a Doctor, but a strength coach/trainer? You bet....at least "ask"!

3afan
02-07-2008, 09:37 AM
Clemens - blah

JasperDog94
02-07-2008, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by BuffyMars
Why did he wait till now to show proof? Why not show the proof when the Mitchell investigation was questioning him? Notice that he waited until after Roger testified in front of congressional investigators? He's setting him up for purgury.

Technoredneck
02-07-2008, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I wouldn't a Doctor, but a strength coach/trainer? You bet....at least "ask"!

But he is was there to give you lidocaine, why would you think it was something else?

JasperDog94
02-07-2008, 09:40 AM
I keep hearing "why would he wait this long bring this up" or "why would he hold on to this stuff". My question is why wouldn't he? McNamee is a smart guy. Maybe he saw the writing on the wall that at some point some investigators would come around asking questions and the only way he would be believed would be to have proof.

Why did he keep all this stuff? I don't know. Why did Monica keep the dress?:thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

kaorder1999
02-07-2008, 09:45 AM
Clemens is in trouble!

kaorder1999
02-07-2008, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94

Why did Monica keep the dress?:thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

great question!!

LH Panther Mom
02-07-2008, 09:50 AM
I keep hearing "why would he wait this long bring this up" or "why would he hold on to this stuff". My question is why wouldn't he? McNamee is a smart guy. Maybe he saw the writing on the wall that at some point some investigators would come around asking questions and the only way he would be believed would be to have proof.
His word vs Roger's word if there's no "proof". :thinking:

(And ITA on the "dress". :D )

JasperDog94
02-07-2008, 09:51 AM
His word vs Roger's word if there's no "proof". :thinking:

Which is exactly why he kept the samples. He knew Roger better than any of us and knew that he would lie if confronted. At this point, why would McNamee lie? If he lies, he goes to jail.

LH Panther Mom
02-07-2008, 09:53 AM
Which is exactly why he kept the samples.
Agreed!

BrahmaMom
02-07-2008, 10:06 AM
And if he knew what he was doing was illegal or at least questionable, he wasn't going to go down alone. Once you preserve this kind of stuff, seven years flies by. I bet he has other DNA samples in storage. Creepy, yes, but look at the whole idea--it's all kinda creepy. On Andy, yep, he did exactly what I predicted. He is a stand-up guy. He will beat himself up over it for years, too bad there aren't more nice good guys in the pros of all sports. Just a Mom's perspective.

Txbroadcaster
02-07-2008, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by BrahmaMom
And if he knew what he was doing was illegal or at least questionable, he wasn't going to go down alone. Once you preserve this kind of stuff, seven years flies by. I bet he has other DNA samples in storage. Creepy, yes, but look at the whole idea--it's all kinda creepy. On Andy, yep, he did exactly what I predicted. He is a stand-up guy. He will beat himself up over it for years, too bad there aren't more nice good guys in the pros of all sports. Just a Mom's perspective.

hmm is he a stand up guy? First he took the roids..second he did not admit anything until AFTER accused

it is like the old saying..When someone apologizes...are they really sorry? Or sorry they got caught

rancher
02-07-2008, 10:18 AM
A FEW YEARS AGO, A STORY RAN REGARDING RED SOX PITCHER PAXTON CRAWFORD AND THE STEROID USE IN BOSTON. INTERESTING ON HOW HE TOLD HOW OPEN AND RAMPANT IT WAS WITH PITCHERS. ACCORDING TO THE STORY, PITCHERS USED TWO DIFFERENT TYPES OF STERIODS ONE WHICH WAS OIL BASED TO KEEP THE ARM LUBRICATED AND THE OTHER TO DEVELOP THE QUICK MUSCLE FIBERS IN THE ARM. JUST GOOGLE PAXTON CRAWFORD AND I AM SURE YOU WILL FIND THE STORY. REMEMBER THE ROGER'S TRAINER IS SINGING BECAUSE HE IS LOOKING AT DOING TIME. AGAIN WHY WOULD HE RISK PERJURY FOR AND DO MORE TIME. THIS GUY WAS COVERING HIS ASSETS.

JasperDog94
02-07-2008, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
hmm is he a stand up guy? First he took the roids..second he did not admit anything until AFTER accused

it is like the old saying..When someone apologizes...are they really sorry? Or sorry they got caught And did you hear his apology? It was something like "if what I did was wrong or I somehow tarnished the game, then I'm sorry." :hand: :hand:

Whatever...:dispntd:

JasperDog94
02-07-2008, 10:27 AM
A FEW YEARS AGO, A STORY RAN REGARDING RED SOX PITCHER PAXTON CRAWFORD AND THE STEROID USE IN BOSTON. INTERESTING ON HOW HE TOLD HOW OPEN AND RAMPANT IT WAS WITH PITCHERS. ACCORDING TO THE STORY, PITCHERS USED TWO DIFFERENT TYPES OF STERIODS ONE WHICH WAS OIL BASED TO KEEP THE ARM LUBRICATED AND THE OTHER TO DEVELOP THE QUICK MUSCLE FIBERS IN THE ARM. JUST GOOGLE PAXTON CRAWFORD AND I AM SURE YOU WILL FIND THE STORY. REMEMBER THE ROGER'S TRAINER IS SINGING BECAUSE HE IS LOOKING AT DOING TIME. AGAIN WHY WOULD HE RISK PERJURY FOR AND DO MORE TIME. THIS GUY WAS COVERING HIS ASSETS. Dude....caps lock....please....

rgn4fb
02-07-2008, 10:56 AM
This does look suspicious, but there is absolutely no way this will stand up in court. Those syringes if found to have Clemens DNA are just that. Syringes with his DNA. As far as I know, Clemens never denied the fact that his trainer gave him a shot of something. Even if there is steroid residue on the syringes, that could easily be put in after the fact. No I am not so naive to say that there is absolutely no way that Clemens ever did steroids, because although my heart says no, common sense has a different opinion. However, to be criminally liable in this case, they will need a little more evidence to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that he did use steroids. In the court of public opinion though, the verdict will probably not be the same.

JasperDog94
02-07-2008, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by rgn4fb
This does look suspicious, but there is absolutely no way this will stand up in court. Those syringes if found to have Clemens DNA are just that. Syringes with his DNA. As far as I know, Clemens never denied the fact that his trainer gave him a shot of something. Even if there is steroid residue on the syringes, that could easily be put in after the fact. No I am not so naive to say that there is absolutely no way that Clemens ever did steroids, because although my heart says no, common sense has a different opinion. However, to be criminally liable in this case, they will need a little more evidence to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that he did use steroids. In the court of public opinion though, the verdict will probably not be the same. You may be right. It might not stand up in court. It will be interesting to see how all of this plays out.

Old Tiger
02-07-2008, 11:17 AM
The article said there could be traces of steroids in them still. HGH is more unlikely.

kaorder1999
02-07-2008, 12:01 PM
I think with forensics nowadays, they can use science to see if #1 the syringes were used on Clems and #2 if there were steroids in them when used.

westtxfballfan
02-07-2008, 12:36 PM
Forensics investigators can date the steroids to show if it was added recently, or if it's been there a while as well as his DNA. Since the investigators believe McNamee to be truthful, you can bet they'll find it if it's there and hasn't dissipated completely so they can exonorate their witness.

A couple of other observations on this:

(1) McNamee didn't wait til Clemens testified to turn this stuff over. They waited to make it known publicly that they had done so. In early January, they turned the syringes over to the IRS investigator that has been working this case since he searched Victor Conte and Balco way back in September 2003. They were almost certainly advised by the agent not to disclose this before Clemens testified.

(2) McNamee was questioned about this years ago, and probably thought it was a good idea to hang onto the syringes once he knew he might be in trouble. The syringes are from 01 or so, and the investigation started - and witnesses being questioned - in August, 03. I think the fact that he didn't give them to the feds sooner plays in his favor as it shows that he was still reluctant to throw Clemens under the bus until Clemens gave him no choice. (If he wanted to slam Clemens sooner, he would have just given over the syringes when he first talked to the feds.)

(3) If McNamee was holding these to blackmail Clemens or anyone else, he's had YEARS to do so and would have pulled the trigger on that plan before he gave up Clemens' name to Mitchell and the fed investigators.

(4) I'm sure the investigators asked him about this one: On 60 minutes, Clemens answered Wallace with a question of his own at one point when he's getting worked up. He says, "Where would I get the syringes?" A couple of days later, he admits that McNamee injected him with other substances (lidocaine, etc.) These two statements don't add up, and these "clarifications" are usually offered after the criminal defense attorney has had a chance to review the evidence - or in this case, the interview - and then offers to clear up something that has bitten them in the butt or will do so in the future.

BrahmaMom
02-07-2008, 08:43 PM
Andy Pettitte is from my home town so I know relatives of his. He is a stand-up guy, my opinion. He was pressured to recover from an injury. He didn't have his attorney make excuses for him, he took responsibility for his part in having tried HGH, not steroids, to recover faster. No, he didn't wave a flag until it came up. But he stood up and took responsibility and saved taxpayers a ton of court costs. And he's having to testify regarding one of his good friends. i will always respect him. We are all entitled to our own opinions, however.

zebrablue2
02-07-2008, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
Clemens - blah

and blah.. agreed..

sahen
02-07-2008, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by westtxfballfan
Forensics investigators can date the steroids to show if it was added recently, or if it's been there a while as well as his DNA.

the rest of your points i agree w/ but i am a biochemist and for the life of me i cant think of a test that someoen could use to determine that...esp. not a test that does not have a large amount of error....

on a side note, we should keep in mind that if McNamee is found to have lied to the original people in the Mitchell Report he can go to jail for that as well, the dude could be trying to protect his own neck w/ the syringes and could dirty them up after-the-fact...i have no idea who is telling the truth but we should remember Clemens isnt the only one w/ something to lose in this battle...

big daddy russ
02-08-2008, 12:15 AM

it is like the old saying..When someone apologizes...are they really sorry? Or sorry they got caught
It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. :D

rancher
02-08-2008, 07:48 AM
When will this soap opera end, Clemens should be just like Andy stand up and tell the truth instead of hiding being his dream team of lawyers. I find it very strange that it is only Clemens is taking the same approach that Barry Bonds took. I cannot judge either direction, but I hope that all of the players will look at the example of Andy Pettitte. I bet he sleeps better at night than Roger.

zebrablue2
02-08-2008, 07:57 AM
When will this soap opera end, Clemens should be just like Andy stand up and tell the truth instead of hiding being his dream team of lawyers. I find it very strange that it is only Clemens is taking the same approach that Barry Bonds took. I cannot judge either direction, but I hope that all of the players will look at the example of Andy Pettitte. I bet he sleeps better at night than Roger.

roger looks like he has not been sleeping well at all.

rancher
02-08-2008, 09:37 AM
New York Post reporting that sources say Pettitte will tell congress he discussed HGH use with Roger Clemens between 2001 and 2002 and then spoke with McMamme about it. No wonder Roger is looking tired. Lies, Lies and Damn Lies, whos tell the truth.

Old Tiger
02-08-2008, 04:27 PM
The feds are setting Roger up so bad. :D

firstcat
02-08-2008, 04:52 PM
deleted

SpeedOption
02-08-2008, 11:33 PM
Maybe these guys can catch Roger.

CSI-Houston would be a dark comedy: More scandal at the Houston crime lab

I'm beginning to think somebody should make a TV show called CSI Houston - it could be a comedy along the lines of Reno 911. Well, a dark comedy, anyway.

In the latest disturbing news, evidence in 200 narcotics cases must be retested after an employee was suspended last week at the troubled Houston crime lab, reported Steve McVicker in the Houston Chronicle ("Houston crime suspends worker, reviews cases," Aug 8).

All officials will formally say is that the employee was behaving erratically, failed to store evidence properly, then failed to submit to a drug test. Taken together that sounds like they may believe the employee was allegedly stealing drugs from the crime lab. It wouldn't be the first time that's happened. For those who haven't followed the lab's woes, reports McVicker:

The Houston crime lab's work has been under scrutiny since 2002, when the DNA section was shut down after an independent audit raised red flags about analysis procedures. Inaccuracies were later found in four other lab divisions that test firearms, body fluids and controlled substances.

In June, a special investigator hired by the city released the findings of his two-year investigation of the lab. The report commended the city's efforts to rebuild the crime lab, but cited hundreds of "serious and pervasive" flaws in forensic cases mishandled by the lab's DNA and serology sections.

How can one crime lab fail to function properly in nearly all its major work areas? An investigation that cost Houston taxpayers $5.3 million recommended the crime lab be run by a "special master," but DA Chuck Rosenthal and police chief Harold Hurtt quashed the idea and promised they'd handle the situation. This instance lets us know they've got more problems, still, left to discover.

If there were sufficient capacity elsewhere to take up the slack, I'd argue the whole place should be shuttered. At a minimum what's needed is a massive, top-to-bottom re-working of the agency, a caseload reduction so lab staff may do fewer things well instead of many things poorly, and finally a housecleaning of massive proportions to root out managers and technicians who believe their job is to help the police (and themselves), not search for the truth.

For those looking for more on the topic, I offered a more detailed list of suggestions for reforming crime labs here. See also this post describing horror stories recounted at the Houston crime lab from the recent investigator's report (pdf).

Or maybe her?

http://houston.midnitespot.com/images/flyers/csimyspace.jpg

BrahmaMom
02-10-2008, 11:32 PM
Last pic I saw of Clemens, he didn't look like he was sleeping well. I just wish everyone would own up to what, if anything, they did, take whatever consequences and speak out to young athletes about the dangers. That would be great community service for anyone who has a history of steroids, HGH. IMO.

rancher
02-11-2008, 08:44 AM
Looks like the plot is thickening, New York Times reporting that when hearings take place, Federal Investigator in Charge of steroid abuse, Novitzky, will attend. Sounds to me that Roger is about to go the way of Barry. Lies, Lies and Damn Lies. I wonder if Roger is now taking Ambien. He may need it wondering what Andy and the others may say.

buff4ever
02-11-2008, 10:55 AM
Roger is fighting hard to keep his name w/o an asterick, but I think he knows deep down that they are not going to just give in and his name will be tarnished FOREVER!;)

I guess he wants to fight till the end, I hope this doesn't cause him more legal problems than it is worth. The man isn't looking to smart right now.

jason
02-11-2008, 11:46 AM
the fact that congress is wasting time and money on this is the worst part of it all - its baseball, who cares...how about they use all this money to, i dont know, end the war in iraq...

:mad: :mad:

rancher
02-11-2008, 08:41 PM
Just read that the New York Daily News is reporting that Roger's lawyer, Rusty Hardin, is saying that Roger may indeed be the target of a Federal Investigation regarding his sworn statements. Also report that Andy may not testify. This is truely lies, lies and damn lies.

rancher
02-12-2008, 07:39 AM
Houston Chronicle reporting this morning, Tuesday, that Pettitte's sworn statments earlier to congressional investigators are supporting some of what McNamee is saying. I hope that Roger took two Amiben last night and gets up late this morning. Lies, Lies and Damn Lies, who's telling the truth.

Maroon87
02-12-2008, 12:20 PM
Report: Pettitte backed McNamee's story
by BRIAN COSTELLO, New York Post

Andy Pettitte was excused yesterday from testifying against his friend Roger Clemens at a congressional hearing — but it appears Pettitte already has done plenty of damage to Clemens' contention that he never used steroids or human growth hormone.

Rep. Tom Davis, the ranking Republican on the congressional committee investigating steroid use in baseball, told Newsday that Pettitte, in his deposition last week, backed up the account of Brian McNamee, the former trainer of Clemens and Pettitte.

McNamee has said Clemens used steroids and human growth hormone.

Davis told the newspaper that Pettitte's testimony matches McNamee's in most details, but that Clemens, in his deposition last week, said both of them are mistaken.

Pettitte asked to be excused from tomorrow's congressional hearing so that he would not have to testify against Clemens, and the committee's leaders granted him his request. They also excused Kirk Radomski and Chuck Knoblauch from the hearing, and Radomski from giving a deposition Tuesday.

That leaves Clemens and his accuser, McNamee, in a showdown tomorrow. They will be joined by one new witness, a member of former Senator George Mitchell's staff, Charlie Scheeler.

The move to excuse Pettitte, Knoblauch and Radomski came last night after discussions between the leadership of the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform.

A source indicated to The New York Post that Pettitte verified a story McNamee told in his deposition about training at Clemens' home in 2002 with both Clemens and Pettitte. McNamee said that during a break, Pettitte said to him something like, "How come you don't give me the same stuff you give Roger?" indicating Clemens told Pettitte about his human growth hormone use.

Newsday reported that Clemens said in his affidavit that he spoke with Pettitte about medications, but not steroids or HGH.

One of Pettitte's lawyers declined comment when reached last night.

Rep. Henry Waxman (D-Calif.), chairman of the committee, and Davis (R-Va.) put out a joint statement announcing the removal of the three witnesses.

"Mr. Knoblauch and Mr. Pettitte answered all the Committee's questions and their testimony at the hearing is not needed," the statement read. "Mr. Clemens and Mr. McNamee have also cooperated with the Committee in its investigation."

Pettitte gave a deposition to the committee under oath on Feb. 4 that lasted for two and a half hours.

Clemens' lawyers said their client will stick to his denial that he ever used steroids or HGH.

"I think Andy Pettitte should do whatever is in Andy's best interest and whatever he thinks is best," said Lanny Breuer, one of Clemens' lawyers. "Roger Clemens is going to testify on Wednesday. He'll answer everything truthfully and forthrightly as he's done since the very beginning."

The committee can use Pettitte's deposition during the hearing and ask Clemens or McNamee about anything in Pettitte's testimony. It also will be part of the public record of the hearing.

Sparing him a trip to Capitol Hill appears to be a sign committee members believe Pettitte cooperated fully with their investigation, and that they do not need any more testimony from him. A source also said Pettitte was not a great witness in that his answers sometimes contradicted each other, and there was some fear of putting him in front of the committee with a national television audience watching.

rancher
02-13-2008, 07:34 AM
Today is the big show for Roger, hope he slept well. Associate Press reporting this morning that Andy gave a sworn statement to investigtors saying that Roger told him he was using HGH. Lies, Lies and Damn Lies. Who's telling the truth.

rancher
02-13-2008, 08:53 AM
Just read another big bomb that is waiting to drop on Roger, New York Times reporting that congressional investigators uncovered others that tie Clemens to performance enhancing drug use. Henry Waxman is reported to read some of Andy's sworn statement to Roger. Has the roids made Roger brain dead. Lies, Lies and damn Lies, who's telling the truth.

rancher
02-13-2008, 10:31 AM
Watching the hearings, Henry Waxman just threw Roger a chin high fastball when he stated in opening remarks "THE MITCHELL REPORT IS BOTH IMPRESSIVE AND CREDIBLE." Hoping Roger slept well last night and does not go into Roid Rage. Will keep you informed.

Bull19
02-13-2008, 11:57 AM
mccname looks kinda scared imo. he looks like he has to think for 5 seconds after every question. and then second guess's himself

3afan
02-13-2008, 12:00 PM
its all getting rather tiresome .... they need to just go away

ProudHornetMom
02-13-2008, 12:09 PM
If I was going to keep used swabs and syringes around for 8 years just in case I "needed" them, I'd take the time to write some dates down. McNamee is losing credibility on memory and admitting to lies.

Clements lost credibility on a MRI report and his wife's use of HGH.

As with all things, the truth is somewhere in the middle...and what an example of greed..on all parties involved.

Sweetwater Red
02-13-2008, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
Andy Pettitte was excused yesterday from testifying against his friend Roger Clemens at a congressional hearing

I'm I the only one that sees something wrong with this sentence.:thinking:

pirate4state
02-13-2008, 12:26 PM
What a waste of time & money!

Bull19
02-13-2008, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
What a waste of time & money!

makes for good conversation and entertainment though, you must admit that. hell were talking about it.......maybe mlb is doing this as a publicty stunt???

Maroon87
02-13-2008, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
I'm I the only one that sees something wrong with this sentence.:thinking:

It just means the committee is satisfied with Pettitte's sworn testimony.

sahen
02-13-2008, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Bull19
makes for good conversation and entertainment though, you must admit that. hell were talking about it.......maybe mlb is doing this as a publicty stunt???

the MLB doesn't care, the player's association runs that buisness and they just care about player contracts, this will neither hurt nor help them...they will throw Roger under the bus if he is lying or they will say "i told you that report was crap" if McNamee is proven to be lying....

the real publicity stunt is the congressmen, come on guys its an election year, the congress cant do jackcrap so these guys are going to use this as a "at least im doing something" plus what better way to get your name and face out there then a hearing of this magnitude...hello votes

rancher
02-13-2008, 12:42 PM
Seems like the committe has nothing but praise for the honesty of Andy. I love Rogers answer when he was asked "Why would Andy Pettitte lie?" Rogers answer, " I dont know". Love what the doctor stated about Rogers abscess on the buttocks, "No doubt made by Winstol Injection and not B12." Roger is about to go down. Lies, Lies and Damn Lies.

Txbroadcaster
02-13-2008, 12:46 PM
Seems like the committe has nothing but praise for the honesty of Andy. I love Rogers answer when he was asked "Why would Andy Pettitte lie?" Rogers answer, " I dont know". Love what the doctor stated about Rogers abscess on the buttocks, "No doubt made by Winstol Injection and not B12." Roger is about to go down. Lies, Lies and Damn Lies.

Seems to me u have a slant to the proceedings..I am seeing what lookes to ME like both have alot of holes in their story and to be honest I dont hink the REAL truth will ever come out

Maroon87
02-13-2008, 12:52 PM
Seems to me u have a slant to the proceedings..I am seeing what lookes to ME like both have alot of holes in their story and to be honest I dont hink the REAL truth will ever come out

I agree.

pirate4state
02-13-2008, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Bull19

It IS entertaining to see people get so worked up over the fact that some total stranger (just because you watch these dudes on tv doesn't mean you know them!) has maybe lied.

So what?

He isn't your kid, spouse, family or close friend. Why does it bother you (general) that he has lied?? What harm has it done YOU?? Good grief!

If you let YOUR child look up to these guys - that's YOUR problem. Why don't YOU try to be a role model for your kid instead of letting some sports figure do it! :rolleyes:

Lying is bad. Taking drugs is bad. Hopefully your kids already know this and they aren't just now finding out about it b/c their "hero" might have taken drugs & lied about it. :o

Off my soap box!

Bull19
02-13-2008, 12:57 PM
It IS entertaining to see people get so worked up over the fact that some total stranger (just because you watch these dudes on tv doesn't mean you know them!) has maybe lied.

So what?

He isn't your kid, spouse, family or close friend. Why does it bother you (general) that he has lied?? What harm has it done YOU?? Good grief!

If you let YOUR child look up to these guys - that's YOUR problem. Why don't YOU try to be a role model for your kid instead of letting some sports figure do it! :rolleyes:

Lying is bad. Taking drugs is bad. Hopefully your kids already know this and they aren't just now finding out about it b/c their "hero" might have taken drugs & lied about it. :o

Off my soap box!

not too bad of a statment

themsu97
02-13-2008, 01:05 PM
he lied under oath... big crime...

also, Congress is looking for a reason to break up the players association,

DaHop72
02-13-2008, 01:12 PM

So what?

Off my soap box! I think that you are being far defensive about this, I think you are concerned that your name is going to come out during this hearing.:kiss: :kiss:

Panther One
02-13-2008, 01:16 PM

So what?

Off my soap box!
Chuck? Chuck is that you? Can I be in your top five?

Txbroadcaster
02-13-2008, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by themsu97
he lied under oath... big crime...

also, Congress is looking for a reason to break up the players association,

Who lied?

NastySlot
02-13-2008, 01:32 PM
lets face it most of these guys probably used them and the league knew.......they all need to admit to wrong and lets fix the problem for the future..........they need to quit trying blame someone or certain few...they were all responsible..........fix for the future.

pirate4state
02-13-2008, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by DaHop72
I think that you are being far defensive about this, I think you are concerned that your name is going to come out during this hearing.:kiss: :kiss: I hope it does so I can tell them all where to go! :D

hookandladder
02-13-2008, 03:00 PM
I like what Cummins said to Mccname, your a policeman that is also a drug dealer and your trying to bring down Clemens. Mccname said he was not a drug dealer. Selling illegal drugs, yes that would classify you as a drug dealer. Mccname is a lier. Just like the other committee member said, he swore to tell the truth and all he has done is lie.

deer spotter
02-13-2008, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by hookandladder
I like what Cummins said to Mccname, your a policeman that is also a drug dealer and your trying to bring down Clemens. Mccname said he was not a drug dealer. Selling illegal drugs, yes that would classify you as a drug dealer. Mccname is a lier. Just like the other committee member said, he swore to tell the truth and all he has done is lie.
Hook, I am with you. McName is a liar and a thief. He is trying to extort something from anybody. He has chosen Roger because he can't stand somone getting to the top of their game without his help. I think he is a liar. If proven he lied he should be tried for extortion,bribary and forgery. He should be stripped of whatever credibility he has and never be allowed to do what he does again. I guess you can't do that from prison anyhow.

Maroon87
02-13-2008, 03:22 PM
Rusty Hardin and Jerry Jones could easily be brothers. The resemblance is scary...

Heck they even sound alike.

hookandladder
02-13-2008, 03:30 PM
Cannot believe how the media blewup Andy's statement that Clemens was quilty, this was just an atempt to get Roger to comfess. It's now makes McName look even more like a lier, Just goes to show the media is all about lies and creating trouble. Most media are ignorant non atheletic people.

Panther One
02-13-2008, 04:44 PM
McNamee was not lying about injecting Pettitte and Knoblauch with HGH. He was not lying about injecting Clemens' wife with HGH. Why would he lie about Clemens? McNamee has nothing to gain from lying. If he wanted to extort Clemens, he's had plenty of opportunities to do so. For years he has kept it all to himself until he was forced to tell the Mitchell report investigators. Why would he tell the truth about Pettitte and Knoblauch and lie about Clemens? Why? What benefit would McNamee receive in lying to the investigators about Clemens? McNamee has cooperated with investigators in an attempt to save his own ass. Why, then, would he lie under oath and risk perjury charges? That doesn't make sense.

I agree that McNamee is a very questionable character. He's not an upstanding citizen by any means. So that brings up another question. If you're the best pitcher in the history of the game with millions of dollars, is McNamee the best you can do? Clemens and his attorneys have continuously tried to discredit McNamee's claims by questioning his character, but if this dude is so shady, why was Clemens associating with him for so long? Kick the guy to the curb and go get a reputable trainer. In the beginning, Clemens acted surprised as hell that McNamee had injected Pettitte. We now learn that the guy injected Clemens' wife. If he's injecting your wife, why is it "shocking" that he injected your friend and training partner?

I'm just not buying Clemens' denial.

Old Tiger
02-13-2008, 04:47 PM
Right wing people were having some hero worship today and made McNamee out to be a drug dealer, rediculous. McNamee is not a drug dealer. Clemens, Petite, and Knoblauch all went to him wanting the HGH and he was paid to do that.

Clemens will face jail time for lying and further tarnish his image. He should have just been a man and not a cry baby. If he is in fact lying he should be stripped of all his awards and achievements.

hookandladder
02-13-2008, 04:53 PM
So I assume you are taking the side of a lying ex-policemen, drug dealer over Roger. OK.

Old Tiger
02-13-2008, 04:56 PM
So I assume you are taking the side of a lying ex-policemen, drug dealer over Roger. OK. Why would I believe Roger? He was real indecisive today. McNamee provided dates and elaborate details on how he injected Clemens. Where do you get that he is a drug dealer? Sorry I don't idolize Roger.:hand:

kaorder1999
02-13-2008, 04:57 PM
Pettite sealed it for me. I believe him!

Old Tiger
02-13-2008, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
Pettite sealed it for me. I believe him! KA, do you like how Roger said that Andy "misremembered?"

hookandladder
02-13-2008, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
Why would I believe Roger? He was real indecisive today. McNamee provided dates and elaborate details on how he injected Clemens. Where do you get that he is a drug dealer? Sorry I don't idolize Roger.:hand:

He sold and injected illegal drugs into baseball players, I believe that would make you a Drug dealer. This was told to him by 1 of the committee members. Drug Dealer, bottom line. So I to have a problem believing a drug dealer.

Panther One
02-13-2008, 05:04 PM
So I assume you are taking the side of a lying ex-policemen, drug dealer over Roger. OK.
So you're taking the opinion of a lying baseball player who throws is wife under the bus and accuses his best friend of "misremembering" a conversation they had on HGH?

With the he-said-he-said back and forth between Clemens and McNamee, the most compelling news from today was Pettitte's deposition issued under oath in which he claims he had a discussion with Clemens about his HGH use. So is Pettitte lying, too, or did he just "misremember" the conversation, as Clemens said?

And as I said in my previous post, that lying drug dealer told the truth about injecting Knoblauch, Pettitte, and Clemens' wife. Seems to me he has a history of telling the truth.

Txbroadcaster
02-13-2008, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
Why would I believe Roger? He was real indecisive today. McNamee provided dates and elaborate details on how he injected Clemens. Where do you get that he is a drug dealer? Sorry I don't idolize Roger.:hand:

I dont idolize Clemens, but IMO McName or however u spell it did not appear honest, he struggled with every question, always was slumped over and never would look at the committee when answering the Qs

Also, he was a drug dealer...He can spin it how he wants, but he sold illegal drugs therefore he is a drug dealer

One thing I missed...What was said between Clemens and Petite? Was it an admission of using or just talking about HGH?

Also for all the Andy is honest...he lied when he admitted using the first time, because it came out today he also used in 2004, he first said he had only used it once, I THINK in 2000 or 2001

hookandladder
02-13-2008, 05:10 PM
I did not hear that Roger agreed that his wife was injected also, the last I hear he said that was also a lie from the lying drug dealer.

Panther One
02-13-2008, 05:14 PM
Also for all the Andy is honest...he lied when he admitted using the first time, because it came out today he also used in 2004, he first said he had only used it once, I THINK in 2000 or 2001
Pettitte did not previously acknowledge his second use because he obtained the HGH from his father and did not want to drag his dad into the mess. While he may have lied or withheld the truth in the public forum, once under oath, the truth came out. It was also under oath that he claimed to have had discussions with Roger about his HGH use. The guy may lie to protect his dad and friend in public, but it was apparent that Pettitte understood the consequences of perjury.

Panther One
02-13-2008, 05:17 PM
I did not hear that Roger agreed that his wife was injected also, the last I hear he said that was also a lie from the lying drug dealer.
Maybe you should freshen up on the facts before posting your opinion. The facts may actually change your mind.

Old Tiger
02-13-2008, 05:18 PM
He sold and injected illegal drugs into baseball players, I believe that would make you a Drug dealer. This was told to him by 1 of the committee members. Drug Dealer, bottom line. So I to have a problem believing a drug dealer. Mcnamee was employed by these athletes. He did not sell the drug he just bought the drug at the athletes request.

Bottom line he bought the drugs upon the request of his employer. And odds are it was the athlete who gave him the money to purchase the drugs.

hookandladder
02-13-2008, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by Panther One
Maybe you should freshen up on the facts before posting your opinion. The facts may actually change your mind.

Show me the facts where Roger said this is true about his wife. I have not seen or hear him admit to this.

LH Panther Mom
02-13-2008, 05:31 PM
I'm just curious about something. If Clemens is telling the truth, then Pettitte is lying. If Pettitte is telling the truth, then Clemens is lying. For those of you who believe one over the other, how do you tell the one you believe is more credible than the one you think is lying? :thinking: :confused:

Bull19
02-13-2008, 05:32 PM
Show me the facts where Roger said this is true about his wife. I have not seen or hear him admit to this.

im pretty sure he read a statment about it today in court admitting that she was injected with it . i think i remember him saying that she sorta did it behind his back

Panther One
02-13-2008, 06:50 PM
I'm just curious about something. If Clemens is telling the truth, then Pettitte is lying. If Pettitte is telling the truth, then Clemens is lying. For those of you who believe one over the other, how do you tell the one you believe is more credible than the one you think is lying? :thinking: :confused:
One thing to consider is that Roger hasn't changed his story, even under oath. Once Pettitte was put under oath, he admitted to using HGH a second time and also admitted to having conversations with Roger about his use. That is something Pettitte would not discuss publicly. It's obvious that the threat of perjury forced the truth out of Pettitte. He has nothing to gain by lying about Clemens. The last thing he wanted to do was drag his dad into this mess and incriminate his friend, but perjury wasn't a risk he was going to take. I think one reason that Pettitte wasn't present today is because congress did not want to pit the two friends against each other on a public stage. The last thing anyone wanted to see was Pettitte bringing down Clemens on national TV.

Clemens has everything to gain by lying, or perhaps everything to lose if the truth came out would be a better way to put it. After denying the accusations in the Mitchell report, Clemens had two options when facing congress...Lie under oath, or admit to using and look like a fool for all the denials. He chose to maintain his story that contradicts both McNamee and Pettitte. His claim that Pettitte "misremembered" their conversation is very weak. If Pettitte had any doubt at all about his conversation with Clemens, I seriously doubt he would incriminate his friend. That would be a perfect time to say, "I don't recall the conversation."

Panther One
02-13-2008, 06:56 PM
This paragraph shows the contradiction of Pettitte and Clemens and the fact that Clemens admitted to his wife being injected.

"Finally, Waxman went through a long list of areas in which Clemens' account was "in direct conflict" with the testimony of McNamee and Pettitte. Waxman particularly singled out Clemens' alleged conversations about HGH with Pettitte -- one in 1999 or 2000, the other in 2005. In the first, Pettitte testified that Clemens told him he'd used HGH. In the second, Clemens claimed Pettitte had misunderstood and that he'd actually said his wife had used HGH. Waxman said Clemens and McNamee agreed that McNamee had injected Debbie Clemens in 2003. And that, Waxman said, "makes it impossible" that Clemens could have told Pettitte three or four years earlier that his wife was the HGH user, not him. "

Other meaningful quotes:

"Mr. Pettitte said he had 'no doubt' about his recollection. ... Why would he tell Congress that one of his closest friends was taking an illegal performance-enhancing drug if there was any doubt in his mind?"

On Pettitte's wife, Laura, also saying Pettitte had told her that Clemens had admitted using HGH: "If that conversation never happened, why would Laura Pettitte remember that conversation?"

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=3243182&name=congressional_hearings

BrahmaMom
02-13-2008, 09:45 PM
I thought all along Andy said he'd used HGH twice-but I could be misremembering. I just read a statement by Pettitte when asked why he would testify against his good friend, he commented to the fact that one day he will have to face and answer to God, words to that effect. If you know Andy and Laura, you know that isn't lip service on his part. The "drug dealer" was accurate on his report about Andy, why would he lie about Clemens? That makes no sense. Again, I have a personal connection to the Pettittes, so I am biased. But I also pretty much know how hard it was for Andy to say anything damaging against his friend. I feel for everyone involved--there sure is no winner in this. Unless it teaches our young athletes a lesson. The longer this goes, the uglier it gets. For someone suing for slander (Roger), he's pretty tacky about McNamee.

LH Panther Mom
02-13-2008, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Panther One
One thing to consider is that Roger hasn't changed his story, even under oath. Once Pettitte was put under oath, he admitted to using HGH a second time and also admitted to having conversations with Roger about his use. That is something Pettitte would not discuss publicly. It's obvious that the threat of perjury forced the truth out of Pettitte. He has nothing to gain by lying about Clemens. The last thing he wanted to do was drag his dad into this mess and incriminate his friend, but perjury wasn't a risk he was going to take. I think one reason that Pettitte wasn't present today is because congress did not want to pit the two friends against each other on a public stage. The last thing anyone wanted to see was Pettitte bringing down Clemens on national TV.

Clemens has everything to gain by lying, or perhaps everything to lose if the truth came out would be a better way to put it. After denying the accusations in the Mitchell report, Clemens had two options when facing congress...Lie under oath, or admit to using and look like a fool for all the denials. He chose to maintain his story that contradicts both McNamee and Pettitte. His claim that Pettitte "misremembered" their conversation is very weak. If Pettitte had any doubt at all about his conversation with Clemens, I seriously doubt he would incriminate his friend. That would be a perfect time to say, "I don't recall the conversation."
Makes perfect sense to me. I'm also wondering how someone who believes Clemens thinks.

ProudHornetMom
02-13-2008, 10:36 PM
I don't believe any of them is telling the truth completely.

Ethics is long lost in all this.

How ethical is a guy who injects steroids? How ethical and crediable is a guy who would inject a wife of a player, who is his client, with an illegal substance? How ethical for a wife to go behind her husband and receive an injection from his trainer? And why would a woman decide to use HGH to buff up for a magazine? To me that's weird.

McNamee has other problems. If he purchased and injected steriods and HGH without a physician's order to do so, he will also be charged for practicing medicine without a license.

The rumblings of steroids in baseball has been going on for years. If I were a baseball player and knew there was an emphasis on steroid abuse, knowing any one can be thrown under the bus at any time, I would be very careful in how injected what to me.

It's ugly stuff all the way around.

BrahmaMom
02-13-2008, 11:18 PM
PHM-that's because you are intelligent, which is something I am not sure ANY of these guys can claim to be. Plus, you are ethical to boot. And a mom.

hookandladder
02-14-2008, 08:00 AM
One last question, if Clemens had to use Steroids to prolong his career do you think Nolan Ryan did the same. Nolan Ryan was also a very big guy late in his career, also one thing Ryan kept his velosity late in his career. Roger's velosity decreased the older he got, I am not saying Ryan used steroids just making a point. Ryan was always a power pitcher, Clemens relied on location and later in his career developed a splitter.

DaHop72
02-14-2008, 08:51 AM
Show me the facts where Roger said this is true about his wife. I have not seen or hear him admit to this. Roger read a prepared statement from his wife to the committee about McNamee injecting her with HGH at their home without Roger's knowledge.:eek: :eek:

piratebg
02-14-2008, 08:57 AM
I watched this yesterday and I think they are both lying, but I think Clemens did take em. That's just the impression I got from yesterday.

themsu97
02-14-2008, 09:07 AM
Roger is lying, about what I have no idea...
McNamee's first statement, "If I injected 3 people and the other two said it was true" or something to that effect, then why would McNamee not be telling the truth about Roger? Clemens may have only taken HGH, but enough is enough... Roger likes to intimidate, what I see is How can you guys be telling on me?
I mean really, as big as Roger has made his family importance out to be do you really think his wife took it without his knowledge?
I know that McNamee is a lier and shady, but as I tell my students and athletes, you are known by the company you keep... McNamee was hired by Clemens and was a close personal friend...
you sleep in teh bed you make

Old Tiger
02-14-2008, 11:55 AM
Why would McNamee lie? If he gets caught he goes away for a long time.

LH Panther Mom
02-14-2008, 12:03 PM
One last question, if Clemens had to use Steroids to prolong his career do you think Nolan Ryan did the same. Nolan Ryan was also a very big guy late in his career, also one thing Ryan kept his velosity late in his career. Roger's velosity decreased the older he got, I am not saying Ryan used steroids just making a point. Ryan was always a power pitcher, Clemens relied on location and later in his career developed a splitter.
H&L.....I'm wondering if you have any insight to the below. :)

LH Panther Mom
02-14-2008, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by ProudHornetMom
I don't believe any of them is telling the truth completely.

Ethics is long lost in all this.

How ethical is a guy who injects steroids? How ethical and crediable is a guy who would inject a wife of a player, who is his client, with an illegal substance? How ethical for a wife to go behind her husband and receive an injection from his trainer? And why would a woman decide to use HGH to buff up for a magazine? To me that's weird.

McNamee has other problems. If he purchased and injected steriods and HGH without a physician's order to do so, he will also be charged for practicing medicine without a license.

The rumblings of steroids in baseball has been going on for years. If I were a baseball player and knew there was an emphasis on steroid abuse, knowing any one can be thrown under the bus at any time, I would be very careful in how injected what to me.

It's ugly stuff all the way around. Agreed on all points. :clap:

Maroon87
02-14-2008, 02:45 PM
McNamee's lawyer predicts Clemens pardon
By RONALD BLUM, AP Baseball Writer

One of Brian McNamee's lawyers predicted Roger Clemens will be pardoned by President Bush, saying some Republicans treated his client harshly because of the pitcher's friendship with the Bush family.

Lawyer Richard Emery made the claims Thursday, a day after a congressional hearing broke down along party lines. Many Democrats were skeptical of Clemens' denials he used performance-enhancing drugs and Republicans questioned the character of McNamee, the personal trainer who made the accusations against the seven-time Cy Young Award winner.

"It would be the easiest thing in the world for George W. Bush, given the corrupt proclivities of his administration, to say Roger Clemens is an American hero, Roger Clemens helped children," Emery said in a telephone interview. "It's my belief they have some reason to believe they can get a pardon."

During Wednesday's session before the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, Clemens repeated his denials under oath, which could lead to criminal charges if federal prosecutors conclude he made false statements or obstructed Congress.

"I'm not aware of Mr. Clemens having been charged with anything," White House deputy press secretary Tony Fratto said after being told of Emery's remarks.

Emery cited Bush's decision last year to commute the 2 1/2-year prison sentence of I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby, his vice president's former top aide. Libby was convicted in the case of the leaked identity of a CIA operative.

During the hearing, Clemens cited his friendship with Bush's father, President George H.W. Bush, a baseball fan who regularly attends Houston Astros' games. Clemens said he was on a recent hunting trip when the elder Bush called with words of support.

"When all this happened, the former president of the United States found me in a deer blind in south Texas and expressed his concerns that this was unbelievable, and stay strong and hold your head up high," Clemens testified.

Emery said as he thought about the testimony overnight, Clemens' reference to the call from the elder Bush convinced him the questioning by Republicans was a concerted effort.

"All the pieces fell into place given his friendship, his personal friendship with the Bush family," Emery said. "They have some belief that even if he's prosecuted, he will never have to serve jail time or face a trail. This is a charade we're going through."

IRS Special Agent Jeff Novitzky attended the hearing and watched from the second row. Novitzky has been a part of the BALCO prosecution team that secured an indictment against Barry Bonds on charges of perjury and obstruction of justice. Bonds testified before a grand jury in 2003 and denied that he knowingly used performance-enhancing drugs.

Emery praised Clemens' lawyers, Rusty Hardin and Lanny Breuer, as knowledgeable and said the prospect of a pardon was the only explanation that allowed the pitcher to repeat his denials under oath.

"It's the only reason lawyers worth their salt would allow their client to run into the buzzsaw of Jeff Novitzky and the potential prosecution, tampering and lying to a federal official," Emery said.

Joe Householder, Clemens' spokesman, said he would attempt to reach Hardin or Breuer for comment. Republicans on the committee did not immediately return telephone calls.

Emery had harsh criticism for Republican Reps. Dan Burton of Indiana, Virginia Foxx of North Carolina, Darrell Issa of California and Christopher Shays of Connecticut. Shays called McNamee a "drug dealer" and Burton accused McNamee of telling "lie after lie after lie after lie."

"It was disgusting and despicable behavior," Emery said. "It was clear to me they were carrying someone's water."

Rep. Elijah Cummings, a Maryland Democrat who said he believed McNamee, was concerned about the apparent Republican-Democratic divide.

"Of all the things to become partisan over, this was the wrong one," Cummings said. "What we needed to be doing was to be in search of truth. And I think that when you are truly in search of truth, we need to put the partisan shoes at the door and walk in without them."

___

AP White House Correspondent Terence Hunt and AP Sports Writer Joseph White contributed to this report.

LH Panther Mom
02-14-2008, 02:50 PM
During the hearing, Clemens cited his friendship with Bush's father, President George H.W. Bush, a baseball fan who regularly attends Houston Astros' games. Clemens said he was on a recent hunting trip when the elder Bush called with words of support.

"When all this happened, the former president of the United States found me in a deer blind in south Texas and expressed his concerns that this was unbelievable, and stay strong and hold your head up high," Clemens testified.
And this friendship has WHAT to do with his testimony about taking or not taking steroids?????? :doh: :doh: :rolleyes: What a load!