PDA

View Full Version : Lynn's PSU pact paces 3 Celina signings

kepdawg
02-06-2008, 04:22 PM
National signing day: Lynn's PSU pact paces 3 Celina signings

Feb 06, 2008 - 14:26:23 CST
By Bill Spinks
Herald Democrat
CELINA — Originally, D’Anton Lynn had second thoughts about his verbal commitment to Penn State when the coach who had recruited him bolted for Baylor in December.

In the end, however, the Celina star defensive back went with his first choice, signing Wednesday morning with the Nittany Lions on the first day of the national football signing period. “I liked them from the very start,” Lynn said.

Also signing from Celina on Wednesday were defensive tackle Troy Franklin with North Texas; and defensive end / tackle Leland Booher with Tabor (Kan.) College, an NAIA school.

All three will likely play different positions in college from the ones they played helping the Bobcats set a state record with their eighth football championship last December.

Lynn, a 6-foot-1, 180-pounder, played mostly at safety in his senior season for Celina and had seven interceptions and 96 tackles. He also averaged 27.5 yards per return on special teams with two touchdowns.

Lynn, the son of former Celina and Texas Tech star and six-year NFL veteran Anthony Lynn, said he will most likely play cornerback for Penn State.

“Safety’s probably more physical, but most safeties start out trying to play cornerback,” Lynn said. “If you’re a big cornerback in college, it gives you more of an advantage. If I end up not playing corner, I can always drop back and play safety.”

When his original recruiter, Brian Norwood, left Penn State to become defensive coordinator at Baylor, Lynn kept Penn State as his original commitment, but visited Baylor, Oklahoma, and his father’s alma mater before reaffirming his decision to go to Happy Valley.

“Sometimes your first decision’s your best decision,” said Celina head coach Butch Ford. “It’s been totally their decision and his, and I think he made a good choice.”

Lynn said the comfort level he discovered at State College, and the continuing interest from Penn State’s staff, trumped everything else.

“I met coach (Joe) Paterno,” he said. “The defensive coordinator, coach (Tom) Bradley, he came down (to Celina) a lot. The new safeties coach, coach (Kermit) Buggs, he came down a lot, and I got into a good relationship with him too. So I felt comfortable there.”

Lynn, the Herald Democrat All-Texomaland Class 3A-4A Player of the Year, suffered a fractured left shoulder blade on his first play on defense in the Class 3A Division II state final against China Spring, but played the entire game as the Bobcats won, 21-14, at Texas Stadium on Dec. 22.

Lynn, who has been wearing a sling for his left arm since the game, said the sling will come off next week and he’ll be able to start rehabilitating his shoulder.

Meanwhile, Franklin, a 6-5, 265-pounder, was a mainstay on Celina’s defensive line, but will switch to the offensive side of the ball for Todd Dodge’s club.

“The coaches sold me on the Mean Green,” Franklin said. “They told me I could be somebody who said I went to UNT when they were down, and turned it around. That’s what this whole (recruiting class) is going to do at UNT.”

Franklin originally began his varsity career at Celina as a sophomore offensive lineman, but was moved to defense out of necessity and blossomed there. Ford said Franklin, who played a lot of O-line during last year’s playoffs, has all the skills an offensive lineman requires.

“We needed him to be a defensive player,” he said. “It was hard to move him once he got established there. We thought about playing him straight offense the last two years, but he made too many plays (on defense) and we couldn’t afford to do that.”

Franklin will be reunited in Denton with two former Celina teammates, sophomore quarterback Nathan Tune and junior defensive back Zach Babb.

But there is one reunion that Franklin is even more excited about this fall. He will be joined at UNT by his older brother Tyler, who will transfer from Oklahoma State to work in the Mean Green’s strength and conditioning department.

Tyler Franklin’s football career was cut short in February 2006, a week after he signed with Texas A&M-Commerce, when he was diagnosed with a form of bone cancer in his left femur. Tyler has been cancer-free since a grueling series of chemotherapies.

“He’s trying to be a part of the football team and be close to me, like he (once) was in high school, and he will be,” Troy Franklin said. “It’s going to be awesome.”

Booher will be attending an NAIA school in Hillsboro, Kan., but is excited about the chance to continue his playing career in the Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference.

“I filled out one of their questionnaires and after that I talked to a whole bunch of the schools in the KCAC,” Booher said. “I went to visit Tabor and I was sold.”

Booher said he will switch to linebacker at Tabor after playing mostly end and tackle on defense his whole prep career.

“He’s worked hard; he’s got a high motor,” Ford said. “It’s a good opportunity for him. He’s turned into a real Bobcat. He got hurt this year and had to fight back from that. I think his best football is ahead of him.”

Booher will major in education and wants to become a coach.

“They have a very nice education program up there,” he said.

LINK (http://www.heralddemocrat.com/articles/2008/02/06/sports/doc47aa0351f2584962605454.txt)

texasjeremy
02-06-2008, 05:24 PM
too bad, he would have been a good fit at Baylor.