PDA

View Full Version : Baylor's recruiting class

texasjeremy
02-06-2008, 03:42 PM
Got all 21 players they had verbals from, unlike last year when a few players backed out late (cough cough GJ Kinne, Lonnie Edwards).

Romie Blaylock, WR, Cedar Hill
Rodney Brisbon, OL, NW Miss CC
Rodney Chadwick, DB, Carthage
Jared Edwards, DE, Mansfield Timberview
Nick Florence, QB, South Garland
Brandon Garrett, OL, La Marque
Robert Griffin, QB, Copperas Cove
Trentson Hill, DB, Mount Pleasant
Jake Jackson, OL, Southlake Carroll
Kaeron Johnson, DE, Cuero
Cameron Kaufhold, OL, Friendswood
Gary Mason, DE, Waxahachie
Ben Parks, K, Argyle
Tracy Robertson, DE, Houston Lamar
Jared Salubi, RB, Waco
Lanear Sampson, WR, North Mesquite
Jeremy Sanders, ATH, Navarro JC
T.J. Scranton, WR, Kilgore JC
Mike Williams, DB, Beaumont Westbrook
Terrance Williams, WR, Dallas White
Kendall Wright, ATH, Pittsburg

crabman
02-06-2008, 06:13 PM
Kaeron is a last minute switch to Baylor. He was a solid verbal to Texas State.

eagles_victory
02-06-2008, 07:46 PM
where did Edwards end up at?

Snyder_TigerFan
02-06-2008, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by texasjeremy
Ben Parks, K, Argyle

Heck of a kicker.

texasjeremy
02-07-2008, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
where did Edwards end up at?

Lonnie ended up at Tech.

sahen
02-07-2008, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Snyder_TigerFan
Heck of a kicker.

hope he is better than our last "heck of a kicker" we got from college station consolidated, that dude flat out stunk last year, but hopefully he figures out what was going on in the offseason...

yoemenkracker30
02-07-2008, 12:30 PM
quite a bit of talent at the offensive skill position

Adidas410s
02-07-2008, 12:32 PM
WOW...not one commit from Stephenville!!! :eek:

sahen
02-07-2008, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by yoemenkracker30
quite a bit of talent at the offensive skill position

we needed QBs bad...really bad....so im glad we got several of those, w/ running the spread and such obviously we needed WR but we have a lot of them alreayd...i hope the RB Salubi turns out to be a good one esp. since he stayed in Waco to play his college ball

texasjeremy
02-08-2008, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by sahen
we needed QBs bad...really bad....so im glad we got several of those, w/ running the spread and such obviously we needed WR but we have a lot of them alreayd...i hope the RB Salubi turns out to be a good one esp. since he stayed in Waco to play his college ball

Baylor now has 7 QBs on the roster, Briles has said he only wants 2-3, so look for some to change positions (JD Weed and Jeremy Sanders), look for Tyler Beatty to transfer, and look for Kirby Freeman, Robert Griffin, and Blake Szymanski to contend for the starting spot. Also, Nick Florence will almost certainly redshirt.

SpeedOption
02-08-2008, 10:53 AM
One of them will play. They brought in 4-5 guys last year to beat out Blake Szymanski and none could do it. The one game he didn't start because of "injury" was an injury to his mouth. Told the OC to go " " himself. That's why he was out one game. Yes he did get hit but it wasn't enough to actually keep him out. Freeman should contend and the winner if they don't want to play Szymanski. Griffin is young athletic, but I'm not sure he really has the arm. I agree Beatty is done and will either finish or go. Weed I really don't know about. Sanders might contend. He would have to play D if they change his position. Ill say Freeman if they don't want to play Blake Szymanski. They have been trying to find someone better since Bell went down. So far they haven't.

texasjeremy
02-08-2008, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by SpeedOption
One of them will play. They brought in 4-5 guys last year to beat out Blake Szymanski and none could do it. The one game he didn't start because of "injury" was an injury to his mouth. Told the OC to go " " himself. That's why he was out one game. Yes he did get hit but it wasn't enough to actually keep him out. Freeman should contend and the winner if they don't want to play Szymanski. Griffin is young athletic, but I'm not sure he really has the arm. I agree Beatty is done and will either finish or go. Weed I really don't know about. Sanders might contend. He would have to play D if they change his position. Ill say Freeman if they don't want to play Blake Szymanski. They have been trying to find someone better since Bell went down. So far they haven't.

Yeah, Blake has a mouth on him, keeping him from starting the Texas and K-State games last year (though Michael Machen was a competent replacement). But, Blake is a solid QB (though most Baylor fans won't admit it, he was hurt greatly by a freakish amount of dropped balls by his receiving corp) and should be in the Top 3. Kirby Freeman was average at Miami, but still has more experience than most. Griffin is rated as the 3rd best dual-threat QB in the nation, so I have to believe he will have the opportunity to play QB (maybe not this year though). I could see Weed moving to tight end (depending on how well he catches the ball), hes too big and athletic not to be contributing somewhere. I think the general consenus on Sanders is that he will be a runningback or inside receiver. I think Nick Florence will end up being a good one (for us or will transfer and play for someone else) before hes done, but will greatly benefit from a redshirt year.

sahen
02-08-2008, 01:24 PM
I dont know what yall saw in Syzmanski, the dude had no heart and didnt care what was going on...He routinely missed guys wide open on deep routes by either over or under throwing and anytime we got in the redzone he threw a pick....he even had a somewhat decent O-line to throw behind last year, i dont think he will run Briles system as a QB, if Briles thought he was going to start him he wouldnt have brought in 4 QBs....

Emerson1
02-08-2008, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by texasjeremy
Griffin is rated as the 3rd best dual-threat QB in the nation, so I have to believe he will have the opportunity to play QB (maybe not this year though).
I think he will either get moved to WR, or just drop football all together and focus on track. He wouldn't take a hit in HS, don't see him going up against the OU and UT defenses of the world

Gobbla2001
02-08-2008, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
WOW...not one commit from Stephenville!!! :eek:

He hasn't coached there for 8 or so seasons... plus how many s'villians went D1 anyway?

3afan
02-08-2008, 09:53 PM
stephenville was overrated last year...

kepdawg
02-08-2008, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
stephenville was overrated last year...

How so?

jason
02-08-2008, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
How so? i saw them play, and IMO, i think i know a top 5ish team when i see one - i didnt think they weren't that good...and thats why they got beat in the 2nd round...

and i made the 'stephenville is overrated' post - just didnt realize 3afan was logged on...