PDA

View Full Version : DirecTV or Dish Network

Astrosdawg07
02-05-2008, 09:43 PM
Ok so in May me and a buddy will be getting a house here in Tyler and we are trying to decide wether to go with DirecTV or Dish Network? Who do you have and why should I go with them?

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
02-05-2008, 09:49 PM
I've never had anything but DirecTV (aside from the dorm room cable) and they have dependable service and a good channel selection. You can get every channel they have around $100, which is pretty decent.

piratebg
02-05-2008, 09:53 PM
I've had both and they are both good. Customer service is great and I've had fewer blackouts with the satellites than I did with cable. I used to have DircTV but switched to Dish to upgrade my equipment and pay a couple bucks less. You'll be quite happy with either. Just go with whoever gives you the better sign on deal.

Leopards,class of 75
02-06-2008, 01:00 AM
I had dish network for two years, but I do like my Direct t.v. much better. Direct t.v. got me my local channels which was huge for me!

Leopards,class of 75
02-06-2008, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by piratebg
I've had both and they are both good. Customer service is great and I've had fewer blackouts with the satellites than I did with cable. I used to have DircTV but switched to Dish to upgrade my equipment and pay a couple bucks less. You'll be quite happy with either. Just go with whoever gives you the better sign on deal. Also see if you can get a free TIVO from one or the other. Play for the better deal and make sure they will get you the local channels too.

Gp83
02-06-2008, 09:05 AM
I have had both and hands down Direct TV is 100 times better;)

firstdown
02-06-2008, 09:13 AM
How about a third choice. Verizon FIOS if available in your area is the bomb. I have had all three and FIOS out does the others. High speed internet and TV all for around 60.00

Buccaneer
02-06-2008, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by Gp83
I have had both and hands down Direct TV is 100 times better;)

Please elaborate.

DaHop72
02-06-2008, 09:36 AM
I had to go to Dish to get local channels. Not in a big enough market to satisfy Direct. Direct customer service is terrible and if you talk to three different representatives you will get three different stories.:mad: :mad:

Johnny 5
02-06-2008, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by firstdown
How about a third choice. Verizon FIOS if available in your area is the bomb. I have had all three and FIOS out does the others. High speed internet and TV all for around 60.00

I wish we had FIOS down here

I have worked at both Dish and Direct.

I would go with Dish

pirate4state
02-06-2008, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by DaHop72
I had to go to Dish to get local channels. Not in a big enough market to satisfy Direct. Direct customer service is terrible and if you talk to three different representatives you will get three different stories.:mad: :mad: The exact opposite happened to me!

I agree with whoever said go with whoever gives you the best deal.

One thing that does piss me off about BOTH companies is that they would rather reward NEW customers than take care of their loyal customers, like me! :D

Technoredneck
02-06-2008, 10:50 AM
They are both owned by the same company, so there is not going to be too much difference between them. I've had DirecTV since '99 and havn't had too much of a problem in getting free upgrades thru the years UNTIL Lately.

Just in the last year it seems the Customer Service went away.

I have DirecTV so I can get "Sunday Ticket"

crzyjournalist03
02-06-2008, 10:52 AM
I've had DirecTV for the last year and have been very pleased with it.

If you're looking for HD service, it's the definitive leader right now. I find the channel lineup to be a little better than Dish, but for each price level, the two offer different channels. Since I'm on the basic plan with HD, I found that I get more of the channels I'm interested in on DirecTV than I would have on Dish. If you're interested, you can usually get DirecTV to throw in an HD DVR for free, but you'll obviously have to pay for the monthly service.

TMer25
02-06-2008, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Technoredneck
They are both owned by the same company, so there is not going to be too much difference between them.

Not true. Echostar owns Dish Network and DirecTV is part of Rupert Murdoch's media conglomerate. There was talk of a merger a couple of years ago but Congress ruled that it would be a monopoly so they never merged.

Reds fan
02-06-2008, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
The exact opposite happened to me!

I agree with whoever said go with whoever gives you the best deal.

One thing that does piss me off about BOTH companies is that they would rather reward NEW customers than take care of their loyal customers, like me! :D

True! Existing customers take a back seat to the new. However, when recently trying to get service at a second residence, Dish was far the better in customer service. It's funny how it depends on the person you reach when you call as to what answers you can get. 3 calls can result in 3 different answers...make sure you get the tech ID code from whomever you speak with, it helps with the "he said, she said" crud that can happen.

slpybear the bullfan
02-06-2008, 12:03 PM
DirecTV fan here... Used both and DirecTV has more for me, especially if you consider TiVo and HD.