PDA

View Full Version : Top QuarterBack's in TX

Footballfan25
05-21-2003, 11:44 PM
Who are the top QB's in any classification for the 2003 year? :)

big daddy russ
05-22-2003, 02:52 AM
Stephen McGee, Sr. Burnet
Caleb??? Hanie, Sr. Forney
Chandler Dane, Jr. Decatur
Dawson Wilber, Sr. Midland Greenwood
Jess Buenger, Sr. Bellville

Any more that anyone can think of in this league? Did I get all the names right?

bc 76
05-22-2003, 06:57 AM
I would have to say Graham Harrell of Ennis,Bay City Scott Eliott,i saw the qb from Burnett and he was good but these two qb have seen better competion.

Green Ranger
05-22-2003, 07:20 AM
Dawson Wilber has to be in the top ten in my opinion. He has another year to play, and helped the Rangers get to state last year. Not only does he have a dangerous arm, he can score with his feet in more ways that one. He rivals the speed of Cody Hollums and or Jeremy Audas, but he can see the field really well and find the holes. On top of that, he kicked a 52 yd. field goal with an easy 7-10 yds to spare. Then on top of that, he is a great defensive player as well. Just my two cents.

wildstangs
05-22-2003, 09:07 PM
Wilber is definitely the best in the west. He is very dangerous regardless which position he is playing. I would put him second, only to Stephen McGee.

PPHSfan
05-22-2003, 10:08 PM
As far as the D1 recruiters are concerned Stephen McGee and Caleb Hanie are toping the 3A list. McGee is already commited to A&M, and Hanie is entertaining offers from Houston and BYU to name a few. Gotta give Hanie the slight advantage in size, Hanie is 6'3 225 while McGee is 6'4 200. Both have impressive speed and strength. Hanie benches 285 and McGee benches a 4.0 GPA :D

vet93
05-23-2003, 09:19 AM
Wilbur is the real deal. He would be outstanding in just about any position that he plays. Because he is not a prototypical drop back passer in a passing offense he will not get the recognition that others will get from college recruiters. The veer is just not that popular of an offense in college any more. I think that he will be recruited as an athlete by some colleges but they may want to put him in a different position than quarterback. He can also kick the ball a mile and his ability to pin a team deep on his kickoffs is just as important (if not more)as his ability to kick field goals. I would think that option teams like Air Force and Rice might also be interested in Dawson as a quarterback. His ability to beat a defense on a broken play is much like Carrillo from Sweetwater last year. He is not as shifty as Carrillo but is much more powerful and able to break tackles better.

Ranger Mom
05-23-2003, 10:29 AM
Green Ranger may have to jump in and verify (or deny) this. But from all I have heard from Dawson's dad, Dawson's wish is to be a "kicker" somewhere and then also play baseball.

vet93
05-23-2003, 10:48 AM
He would make somebody a dandy kicker...would also be great on a fake field goal!!! I still think that some college (probably not DI) would like to have him on their team as an athlete that could develop at another position.

Ranger Mom:
Green Ranger may have to jump in and verify (or deny) this. But from all I have heard from Dawson's dad, Dawson's wish is to be a "kicker" somewhere and then also play baseball.

Green Ranger
05-23-2003, 12:14 PM
Dawson has expressed that he would like to be a kicker, and he has the leg to do so. Nothing against the coaches at Greenwood, but get him a good kicking coach and he can improve on what he is already doing. I can see him easily getting picked up by a D1 or D2 college to kick and or back up as quarterback. As far as colleges go, how are kids already committed to play somewhere. My understanding is Colleges cannot talk to kids until they are officially seniors. Now does that mean after there Junior football season. Anyhow I would look to see Dawson playing an important role in some in two years.

PPHSfan
05-23-2003, 12:24 PM
Green Ranger,

A kid becomes eligible as a College Prospect when he starts the 9th grade. While a kid cannot officially sign a letter of intent until his January of his senior year, a school can give and recieve an Oral commitment from any kid 9th grade or above.

Footballfan25
05-23-2003, 01:15 PM
If I am not mistaken, McNeal from Lufkin went to A&M last year and the QB from the Baytown area is suppose to be going this year. It sounds like A&M is going to be loaded at QB for a few years. What do you think will be McGee's (from Burnet)chances at A&M?

Old Dog
05-23-2003, 03:28 PM
When A&M hooked up with Francione, Drew Tate UN-committed and later signed with Iowa and yes McNeal will tough be beat out, as will Long (remember he set some records prior to McNeal taking over). Coach Fran doesn't always stick to just one QB, he uses whatever the occasion calls for. McGee will bide his time and wait his turn if necessay. He's a smart kid who knows how to handle himself.....and he will learn by observation. Any youngster that is willing to give up his Senior spring to enter college and participate in football practice has to be devoted and highly motivated.

To answer your question, I feel he has an excellent chance of starting at A&M his last couple of years, otherwise I don't feel Francione would have recruited him!

<small>[ May 23, 2003, 03:36 PM: Message edited by: Old Dog ]</small>

Old Dog
05-23-2003, 03:32 PM
I asked this question once before and got no reply, but is Chandler Dane of Decatur any kin to the Dane that was a great DB at Southlake Carroll in the early 90's? He made all-state and had a pretty stellar college career at Texas Tech.

<small>[ May 23, 2003, 03:37 PM: Message edited by: Old Dog ]</small>

big daddy russ
05-23-2003, 04:15 PM
McGee has all the tools to start after McNeal leaves. I haven't seen McGee at 100%, but he was great as a dropback passer. McNeal seems like more of an athlete, somebody who excels when the play breaks down. If Franchione decides he wants to run the same kind of offense he did at TCU and Bama, then McNeal will be the starter for the next three years or so. (I have no idea who Fran brought in as an OC) If they go more to a spread-type offense, then McGee might have a slight chance at edging out McNeal later on... but I can't see it happening. It's a very small chance, but nonetheless McGee will probably get the chance to start his final two years. It looks like it'll be between Long and McNeal, though, in '04. I'm giving the early advantage to McNeal, simply based on Fran's past offenses.

Footballfan25
05-23-2003, 10:51 PM
Old Dog:
When A&M hooked up with Francione, Drew Tate UN-committed and later signed with Iowa and yes McNeal will tough be beat out, as will Long (remember he set some records prior to McNeal taking over). Coach Fran doesn't always stick to just one QB, he uses whatever the occasion calls for. McGee will bide his time and wait his turn if necessay. He's a smart kid who knows how to handle himself.....and he will learn by observation. Any youngster that is willing to give up his Senior spring to enter college and participate in football practice has to be devoted and highly motivated.

To answer your question, I feel he has an excellent chance of starting at A&M his last couple of years, otherwise I don't feel Francione would have recruited him!

the tigers are back
05-24-2003, 06:31 AM
How about the qb from {bellville}, i personally give him :p thumbs ups for the canidate this year 04 , but i know you said class of 03 good luck jeff b.