PDA

View Full Version : Bob Knight Retires from Texas Tech

Adidas410s
02-04-2008, 07:34 PM
News just starting to come out. He is retiring effective immediately. His son Pat is now the head coach for Texas Tech. It's evidently not health related as Knight just received a clean bill of health from his doctor.

wyliegrad04
02-04-2008, 07:38 PM
just saw this on ESPN ...

any reason why? don't keep up with him or Tech so I don't know if this is a shock or not??

SpeedOption
02-04-2008, 07:52 PM
Walked into Meyer's ofice this morning and quit. Son takes team.

'84 Stang
02-04-2008, 07:55 PM
WELL.....now King Bob can hunt wherever he wants too......glad I don't live in Lubbock!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UkxkxwB3Sk

zebrablue2
02-04-2008, 08:10 PM
very shocked is what I am. seems that there has to be some reason??????

CHS_CG
02-04-2008, 08:17 PM
I have to believe there is something going on. Sounds like a cover up to me.

injuredinmelee
02-04-2008, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by CHS_CG

agreed.

LH Panther Mom
02-04-2008, 09:05 PM
Exclusive: Knight speaks about resignation decision
BY JEFF WALKER
Monday, February 04, 2008
Story broke at 5:30 p.m.
Story last updated at 2/4/2008 - 7:18 pm

When Bob Knight arrived in Lubbock, he was greeted by a large, loud crowd at United Spirit Arena.

There will be far less pomp and circumstance for his departure.

Knight, in his seventh season as Texas Tech’s head coach, informed athletic director Gerald Myers on Monday morning he was retiring, effective immediately.

Knight said he has contemplated retirement and thought about doing it after this season. But after talking to good friend and legendary basketball coach Pete Newell on Sunday, Knight believed now was the best time to begin the transition phase of having son, Pat, take over the program.

Pat Knight has been the head coach designate since 2005.

“There’s a transition that’s going to take place here from me to Pat and I’ve dwelt on this all year long — about what would be the best way to do this, and how it would be best for him and for the team and for what we can do in the long run to make this the best thing for Texas Tech,” said Knight, who retires with 902 career victories. “I didn’t know, I’ve never really known when I was going to step down from this job. As I thought about it, my first thought was at the end of this season.”

Knight said he spoke with Newell for about an hour and an half Sunday.

“My thinking was that for Pat and for this team — most of which is returning next year — the best thing for the long run for this team would be for Pat and his staff to coach these remaining 10 games,” Knight said. “And (to) get an understanding, get a real feel for each other, be able to think over the course of the spring and summer going into next season about how people had played, how things had been done offensively or defensively, what could be done or couldn’t be done, what to stay away from, what to work on and develop that from a game standpoint as the coach in charge of everything rather than as an assistant coach.

“It was always a problem for me as to just what would be the most effective way in this transition, to make this transition. And with all the thought that I put into it, that’s exactly how I felt that it should be.”

Knight said he informed the team prior to practice Monday. The Red Raiders (12-8, 3-3) will play at Baylor on Wednesday.

Myers was in a similar situation more than three decades ago when he took over the Red Raiders’ program mid-season. He said he was surprised when Knight told him Monday he was stepping down, but he also understood Knight’s reasoning.

“I think I do understand why he decided to do it at this particular time,” said Myers, who took over as head coach in January, 1971, before coaching 20 more years at Tech. “He felt it was the right time for him to step down and I’ll miss him. He’s done an outstanding job for this basketball program of building it up. He brought more recognition to the program, to the university and to the city of Lubbock than anybody, in my opinion. It was great to have him on our staff and he was great to work with.”

Knight said this is not a health issue, though he said, “I feel better today than I did on Saturday.”

The Red Raiders won Knight’s final game, 67-60, over Oklahoma State, leaving him with 902 career victories. He compiled 138 wins in seven seasons at Tech, compiling a 138-82 record. His .627 winning percentage is the highest in Tech men’s basketball history. Berl Huffman is second at (.609) in three seasons.

LAJ (http://lubbockonline.com/stories/020408/loc_243647726.shtml)

Reds fan
02-05-2008, 10:19 AM
Knight got his 900+ wins and turned it over to his son with time to finish out the season and put his own stamp on the team. Pretty nice gift to be able to give your kid!

Adidas410s
02-05-2008, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by CHS_CG
No cover up at all. Knight thought about retiring after last season but came back for another year. He planned to retire at the end of this season but decided to do it now instead. This allows his son to get 10 Big 12 games under his belt with little to no pressure as the expectations for this season are little to none.

No cover up...nobody asked Knight to step down. This was his choice 100%.

nobogey72
02-05-2008, 10:53 AM
I can't help but believe that there is something more. How could in the middle of a season be the "right" time? I agree with Adidas in that it will give Pat some game experience, but I just can't buy that after all he's done and accomplished, that he would quit in the middle of a year. And, does Pat Knight become the permanant HC just because Bob Knight hands the reins over? Or will the AD make it official before the start of next year. What do you think Adidas?:thinking:

Phil C
02-05-2008, 11:00 AM
:eek: :(

Adidas410s
02-05-2008, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by nobogey72
I can't help but believe that there is something more. How could in the middle of a season be the "right" time? I agree with Adidas in that it will give Pat some game experience, but I just can't buy that after all he's done and accomplished, that he would quit in the middle of a year. And, does Pat Knight become the permanant HC just because Bob Knight hands the reins over? Or will the AD make it official before the start of next year. What do you think Adidas?:thinking:
Pat is the HC effective immediately. He was designated as the future HC back in 2005. Similar to what Eddie Sutton did at Okie Lite with Sean.

Knight isn't the first coach to leave during the middle of the season:
- John Thompson announced his resignation during a press conference in the middle of the 1999 season at Georgetown.
- Dean Smith resigned after a team practice at the start of the 1997 season.