PDA

View Full Version : Most intimidating 3A places to play.

dog92
09-17-2003, 01:42 PM
Where are some of the most intimidating places to play based on environment, fans, officiating, strength of home team?

Ranger Mom
09-17-2003, 01:48 PM
I would have to say for Greenwood it is/was Sweetwater's Mustang Bowl. Evidently, there is some superstition about the visiting team entering down "the ramp". I remember hearing something about that before, but don't remember what it was. Anyway, the Rangers refused to go down the ramp this year, and entered the field from the stands.
If anyone knows anything about the superstition, please let me know, I am curious to find out more!! :D :D

<small>[ September 17, 2003, 02:02 PM: Message edited by: Ranger Mom ]</small>

Gobbla2001
09-17-2003, 01:58 PM
I'd have to say Sealy... Now not only do you think about how good they were in the '90's, you also see the 'Home of Hall of Famer Eric Dickerson' sign... They really make it intimidating for ya...

Green Ranger
09-17-2003, 02:06 PM
I dont know if you would call it intimidating or nerves, but some of the bigger and nicer places I think players get caught up in the moment from time to time and before they know it are down a few touchdowns. I would have to say Sweetwater in General only cause their fans base is so great, home or on the road their fans definetly give their team a 12th.

Z motion 10 out on 2
09-17-2003, 02:10 PM
I agree. Sweetwater is a awe struck place. Red paint everywhere and lots of fans!

Rabbit'93
09-17-2003, 02:11 PM
For me personally it was Texas Stadium when we played Southlake Carroll in '91

crzyjournalist03
09-17-2003, 02:11 PM
Texas Stadium during the playoffs...you can't go into the building without getting goose bumps all over.

RBARKER
09-17-2003, 02:25 PM
Not 3A but if anyone has ever been to a PNG game at their house or the Astro Dome it's as intimidating as it gets. I cannot remeber the year, but I went and seen PNG play Stephenville at the dome and PNG had thier side of the dome filled all the way to the top. When they would do the indian chant that dome would rock.

cunbed10
09-17-2003, 02:25 PM
Cameron, and Mexia Texas, yep! these were two places over the years you didn't want to get caught napping!

Bellville22
09-17-2003, 03:08 PM
"The Snakepit" in Navasota.

jason
09-17-2003, 03:53 PM
Rabbit'93:
For me personally it was Texas Stadium when we played Southlake Carroll in '91i was only 11...but i remember that game...

3afan
09-17-2003, 03:57 PM
Rabbit'93:
For me personally it was Texas Stadium when we played Southlake Carroll in '91we were there ... in fact maybe 3afan2K3 will tell everyone the, uh, 'incident' in the stands he was invloved with during that game ... :cool:

Chris Hart
09-17-2003, 04:05 PM
Well out of all the places I have seen as a Burnet fan for years, there is no place more intimidating than our home stadium. Burnet has the largest 3A fan base that I have witnessed personally, and when they get going it is a sight to behold. Burnet has averaged 7,500 home fans so far this year. Not bad for a community with a population of about 5,500. Also, I believe the last time we lost at home was during the 2000 season. Go Burnet Bulldogs!

big69
09-17-2003, 04:18 PM
I remember playing Mexia in 2000 @ Bowers Stadium in Hunstville, that place is not really intimidating, but the Mexia crowd was pretty loud and packed plus the band was crunk and loud! Whenver we would play Crockett there or in Diboll, both stadiums are about the same size (5500) and we would pack both stadiums up to about 7000 or better. One year in Diboll it was a record 8,600 and a heck of a game @ that!

Matthew328
09-17-2003, 04:22 PM
Most intimidating place I've ever personally seen is either Stephenville or Waxahachie...I think Everman has a pretty intimidating place to play as well...haven't lost at home since 1999....

Bandera YaYa
09-17-2003, 04:34 PM
For us, it had to the the Waco stadium for the State Championship.....maybe because of our nerves, but it looked HUGE!! :D

CHS_CG
09-17-2003, 04:38 PM
Its not really intimidating for me(for one i dont play football lol) but I love playing at Giddings at home. Not only do you have the Highway right next to the field their fans at home get loud!! We have been know to get loud at times to lol. But I love hearing the truckers honk while we are playing and stuff.

GoForIt
09-17-2003, 05:42 PM
Chris Hart:
Well out of all the places I have seen as a Burnet fan for years, there is no place more intimidating than our home stadium. Burnet has the largest 3A fan base that I have witnessed personally, and when they get going it is a sight to behold. Burnet has averaged 7,500 home fans so far this year. Not bad for a community with a population of about 5,500. Also, I believe the last time we lost at home was during the 2000 season. Go Burnet Bulldogs!No offense, but you people are WAY too full of yourselves.

GoForIt
09-17-2003, 05:44 PM
I have to agree with the "snakepit" comment in Navasota.

PAINTBALL
09-17-2003, 06:01 PM
GoForIt:

Chris Hart:
Well out of all the places I have seen as a Burnet fan for years, there is no place more intimidating than our home stadium. Burnet has the largest 3A fan base that I have witnessed personally, and when they get going it is a sight to behold. Burnet has averaged 7,500 home fans so far this year. Not bad for a community with a population of about 5,500. Also, I believe the last time we lost at home was during the 2000 season. Go Burnet Bulldogs!No offense, but you people are WAY too full of yourselves.As a Burnet fan of 30 years, I do feel that Burnet does consist of a lot of Johnny Come Lately Fans. I can remember the 94 season when we went 2-8 and sitting in the rain at Lake Travis with about 15 parents and the coaches' wifes. What a poor sight that was, and how sad for the kids. I just hope the fans stay fans when the lean years return, but I doubt it. The 94 season was just 3 seasons away from the great 91 season.

<small>[ September 17, 2003, 06:12 PM: Message edited by: PAINTBALL ]</small>

GoForIt
09-17-2003, 06:12 PM
Bravo, Paintball. That was the most level-headed response I've seen on here. Nobody likes a braggart, after all.

Bandera YaYa
09-17-2003, 06:27 PM
eek! eek! eek!

3afan2K3
09-17-2003, 06:31 PM
Rabbit'93:
For me personally it was Texas Stadium when we played Southlake Carroll in '91LOL, I threw up at that game :D

3afan
09-17-2003, 06:41 PM
Chris Hart:
Well out of all the places I have seen as a Burnet fan for years, there is no place more intimidating than our home stadium. Burnet has the largest 3A fan base that I have witnessed personally, and when they get going it is a sight to behold. Burnet has averaged 7,500 home fans so far this year. Not bad for a community with a population of about 5,500. Also, I believe the last time we lost at home was during the 2000 season. Go Burnet Bulldogs!typical home crowd over-estimation ........ everyone is guilty of it

jason
09-17-2003, 07:14 PM
3afan:

Chris Hart:
Well out of all the places I have seen as a Burnet fan for years, there is no place more intimidating than our home stadium. Burnet has the largest 3A fan base that I have witnessed personally, and when they get going it is a sight to behold. Burnet has averaged 7,500 home fans so far this year. Not bad for a community with a population of about 5,500. Also, I believe the last time we lost at home was during the 2000 season. Go Burnet Bulldogs!typical home crowd over-estimation ........ everyone is guilty of it7500 home fans in a town of 5500......so you had 2000 people show up from nowhere?? id like to go there, maybe all they do is golf....

jason
09-17-2003, 07:16 PM
3afan2K3:

Rabbit'93:
For me personally it was Texas Stadium when we played Southlake Carroll in '91LOL, I threw up at that game :D i remember that....it was gross... eek!

SADAWG
09-17-2003, 07:52 PM
The Burnet Stadium has 7000 seats. Both home games were standing room only. If you are not in the stands by about 5:30, you'll be standing.

PAINTBALL
09-17-2003, 08:04 PM
jason:

3afan2K3:

Rabbit'93:
For me personally it was Texas Stadium when we played Southlake Carroll in '91LOL, I threw up at that game :D i remember that....it was gross... eek! I am confused. In 91 Burnet tied Southlake Carroll in the semi-final game, but advanced on penetrations. Was the Forney game at Texas Stadium the game before the Burnet-Southlake Carroll Game?

exbccards76'smom
09-17-2003, 08:24 PM
Texas A & M Stadium was pretty intimidating in football. If you think PNG has good fans for football, go to Kountze and play basketball at the Lion's Den. Pretty awesome for a small town.

HotDawg89
09-17-2003, 08:54 PM
jason:

3afan:

Chris Hart:
Well out of all the places I have seen as a Burnet fan for years, there is no place more intimidating than our home stadium. Burnet has the largest 3A fan base that I have witnessed personally, and when they get going it is a sight to behold. Burnet has averaged 7,500 home fans so far this year. Not bad for a community with a population of about 5,500. Also, I believe the last time we lost at home was during the 2000 season. Go Burnet Bulldogs!typical home crowd over-estimation ........ everyone is guilty of it7500 home fans in a town of 5500......so you had 2000 people show up from nowhere?? id like to go there, maybe all they do is golf....Actually, Chris is right- it isn't an over-estimation, we had more than 10,000 follow us to the last 3 play off games, and it really is standing room only at our home field. And the fans can be brutal (but we're still nice!).

LOL! About having 2000 show up out of nowhere... Burnet's census is always wrong. Seriously, I think that they only count people who live inside the city limits if I'm not mistaken. A large portion of our fan base is from neighboring Bertram, whose post 5th grade students attend Burnet schools. Then there are always the rural folks who aren't appreciated enough to be counted in the city census.

jason
09-17-2003, 08:55 PM
PAINTBALL:

jason:

3afan2K3:

Rabbit'93:
For me personally it was Texas Stadium when we played Southlake Carroll in '91LOL, I threw up at that game :D i remember that....it was gross... eek! I am confused. In 91 Burnet tied Southlake Carroll in the semi-final game, but advanced on penetrations. Was the Forney game at Texas Stadium the game before the Burnet-Southlake Carroll Game?yes....area, or regional quarters....

Chris Hart
09-17-2003, 09:42 PM
jason:

3afan:

Chris Hart:
Well out of all the places I have seen as a Burnet fan for years, there is no place more intimidating than our home stadium. Burnet has the largest 3A fan base that I have witnessed personally, and when they get going it is a sight to behold. Burnet has averaged 7,500 home fans so far this year. Not bad for a community with a population of about 5,500. Also, I believe the last time we lost at home was during the 2000 season. Go Burnet Bulldogs!typical home crowd over-estimation ........ everyone is guilty of it7500 home fans in a town of 5500......so you had 2000 people show up from nowhere?? id like to go there, maybe all they do is golf....Well you guys can believe what you want to, but I'm not bragging, I'm stating a fact. The question was the most intimidating places to play and the reasons why etc. I gave an honest answer. I got it right out of TODAY's Burnet Bulletin newspaper. You can have anyone else from Burnet check it out for you, or I think they have their own website. I personally don't care if any of you believe it or not, but don't accuse somebody of lying, just because your team doesn't garner the support like Burnet DOES. I am very proud of the support Burnet has, and I KNOW some are fair weather fans, but even they have been showing up for the past 3 years. If you still don't believe it, why don't you just come on down to Burnet for a home game, and if I'm lying I'll buy you a steak dinner. :)

BTW, Did any of you Burnet fans notice that my wife won the $50 for the Burnet Bulletin's pigskin picks today? I'm never going to hear the end of it.LOL :D

<small>[ September 17, 2003, 09:57 PM: Message edited by: Chris Hart ]</small>

Strike Fast
09-17-2003, 10:16 PM
I have to agree with Bellville 22 and go with "The Snakepit" in Navasota.

It is an awesome atmosphere. It will be a great ballgame come October 17th. When the Brahmas come to "The Snake Pit". http://www.navasota.k12.tx.us/navjrhigh/Images/Sports/snakepit.JPG

bulldogman
09-17-2003, 10:45 PM
Chris Hart you can already feel the tension with these guys and district hasn't even started. In years past Burnet had a very poor fan base. That is not the case now. I guess winning makes a difference. When they played that music last week when the boys took the field it ran cold chills down my spine. I guess we should ask reagan and shoemaker how intimidating it is to play here. Truth is though it really doesn't matter how intimidating the stadium is. It all gets real when shipley takes one to the house.

olddawggreen
09-17-2003, 11:04 PM
Not to drag this out, but Burnet CISD is made up of all of North Burnet County which has a much greater population than just the people that live in the town of Burnet, we are busting at the seams ( the reason for the new high school that is currently being built). I have to agree though that Burnet turns out many more fans than most teams we play, at home and on the road, Burnet not only filled up the visitor side at the Gatesville game, with standing room only, but also took up a pretty good chunk of the home side. Will the fan base disapear during the lean years? I dont think so. Burnet has grown a lot and is a very different place than it was in the mid 90's. After the great trip to the finals in the early 90's, it is my opinion that the coaching staff became very stale which basicly made for some really boring seasons. The current coach and his staff are second to none and have done an excelent job of promoting the various teams in Burnet. I believe that they have built an athletic program that will continue to strive for excelence and will continue to have the support of the fans in Burnet County. Besides, it beats sitting at the red light watching the tourist pass through town! wink

District303aPastPlayer
09-17-2003, 11:35 PM
interestingly enough... Odem and Mathis were always difficult places to play...

espn1
09-18-2003, 12:16 AM
jason:

3afan:

Chris Hart:
Well out of all the places I have seen as a Burnet fan for years, there is no place more intimidating than our home stadium. Burnet has the largest 3A fan base that I have witnessed personally, and when they get going it is a sight to behold. Burnet has averaged 7,500 home fans so far this year. Not bad for a community with a population of about 5,500. Also, I believe the last time we lost at home was during the 2000 season. Go Burnet Bulldogs!typical home crowd over-estimation ........ everyone is guilty of it7500 home fans in a town of 5500......so you had 2000 people show up from nowhere?? id like to go there, maybe all they do is golf....Actually at the Reagan game there was about 8500. I expect 9000 to 10,000 to be at the Marlin Game. That's total

xlr8tor
09-18-2003, 12:17 AM
exbccards76'smom:
Texas A & M Stadium was pretty intimidating in football. If you think PNG has good fans for football, go to Kountze and play basketball at the Lion's Den. Pretty awesome for a small town.Lion field is quite another story. Just my take.

Rabbit'93
09-18-2003, 12:21 AM
PAINTBALL:

jason:

3afan2K3:

Rabbit'93:
For me personally it was Texas Stadium when we played Southlake Carroll in '91LOL, I threw up at that game :D i remember that....it was gross... eek! I am confused. In 91 Burnet tied Southlake Carroll in the semi-final game, but advanced on penetrations. Was the Forney game at Texas Stadium the game before the Burnet-Southlake Carroll Game?It was the regional finals(quaterfinals).

espn1
09-18-2003, 12:22 AM
espn1:

jason:

3afan:

Chris Hart:
Well out of all the places I have seen as a Burnet fan for years, there is no place more intimidating than our home stadium. Burnet has the largest 3A fan base that I have witnessed personally, and when they get going it is a sight to behold. Burnet has averaged 7,500 home fans so far this year. Not bad for a community with a population of about 5,500. Also, I believe the last time we lost at home was during the 2000 season. Go Burnet Bulldogs!typical home crowd over-estimation ........ everyone is guilty of it7500 home fans in a town of 5500......so you had 2000 people show up from nowhere?? id like to go there, maybe all they do is golf....Actually at the Reagan game there was about 8500. I expect 9000 to 10,000 to be at the Marlin Game. That's totalI can remember Burnet going 2 straight years without a win. What a difference 30 some odd years makes.

<small>[ September 18, 2003, 12:24 AM: Message edited by: espn1 ]</small>

exbccards76'smom
09-18-2003, 05:55 AM
xlr8tor:

exbccards76'smom:
Texas A & M Stadium was pretty intimidating in football. If you think PNG has good fans for football, go to Kountze and play basketball at the Lion's Den. Pretty awesome for a small town.Lion field is quite another story. Just my take.I have to agree with you there. The last time Kountze made in noise in football was in the '70's. We played Newton for bi-district back then. Kountze had a great football team in the 60's when Gordon Gilder was playing. We went as far as a 2a team could go them, which was semi-finalist.

3afan
09-18-2003, 06:57 AM
Chris Hart:

jason:

3afan:

Chris Hart:
Well out of all the places I have seen as a Burnet fan for years, there is no place more intimidating than our home stadium. Burnet has the largest 3A fan base that I have witnessed personally, and when they get going it is a sight to behold. Burnet has averaged 7,500 home fans so far this year. Not bad for a community with a population of about 5,500. Also, I believe the last time we lost at home was during the 2000 season. Go Burnet Bulldogs!typical home crowd over-estimation ........ everyone is guilty of it7500 home fans in a town of 5500......so you had 2000 people show up from nowhere?? id like to go there, maybe all they do is golf....Well you guys can believe what you want to, but I'm not bragging, I'm stating a fact. The question was the most intimidating places to play and the reasons why etc. I gave an honest answer. I got it right out of TODAY's Burnet Bulletin newspaper. You can have anyone else from Burnet check it out for you, or I think they have their own website. I personally don't care if any of you believe it or not, but don't accuse somebody of lying, just because your team doesn't garner the support like Burnet DOES. I am very proud of the support Burnet has, and I KNOW some are fair weather fans, but even they have been showing up for the past 3 years. If you still don't believe it, why don't you just come on down to Burnet for a home game, and if I'm lying I'll buy you a steak dinner. :)

BTW, Did any of you Burnet fans notice that my wife won the $50 for the Burnet Bulletin's pigskin picks today? I'm never going to hear the end of it.LOL :D no one said anyone was lying - its jst natural that people over estimate their crowds - and like i said, everyone does it. now, just because something is in the paper or on a web site doe not make it so, you should know that, and who does the paper/web site? its home town folks. i'm sure Burnet is drawing well and has great support, no doubt. but probably not any better than the other towns with good programs.

<small>[ September 18, 2003, 06:58 AM: Message edited by: 3afan ]</small>

3afan
09-18-2003, 07:02 AM
HotDawg89:

jason:

3afan:

Chris Hart:
Well out of all the places I have seen as a Burnet fan for years, there is no place more intimidating than our home stadium. Burnet has the largest 3A fan base that I have witnessed personally, and when they get going it is a sight to behold. Burnet has averaged 7,500 home fans so far this year. Not bad for a community with a population of about 5,500. Also, I believe the last time we lost at home was during the 2000 season. Go Burnet Bulldogs!typical home crowd over-estimation ........ everyone is guilty of it7500 home fans in a town of 5500......so you had 2000 people show up from nowhere?? id like to go there, maybe all they do is golf....Actually, Chris is right- it isn't an over-estimation, we had more than 10,000 follow us to the last 3 play off games, and it really is standing room only at our home field. And the fans can be brutal (but we're still nice!).

LOL! About having 2000 show up out of nowhere... Burnet's census is always wrong. Seriously, I think that they only count people who live inside the city limits if I'm not mistaken. A large portion of our fan base is from neighboring Bertram, whose post 5th grade students attend Burnet schools. Then there are always the rural folks who aren't appreciated enough to be counted in the city census.ok, just because your last 3 playoff games had an attendance of around 10K+ you cant say "we had more than 10,000 follow us to the last 3 play off games". the odds are that much more than half, probably 75-80(+)% just wanted to see a good high school playoff game. every town has their die hards but not a big percentage are willing to travel any appreciable distance for a game. thats just the way it is. and thats everywhere.

Pudlugger
09-18-2003, 07:23 AM
Elgin has the worst field of all D24 teams with a fence about 6 feet from the sidelines. The bleachers are very low about 6 rows is all and the Elgin Band takes up about a 4th of the seats! They are supposed to be building a new stadium in time for next year. Oh yeah then there's the "Homer" ref phenomena which is something to behold! :rolleyes:

GoForIt
09-18-2003, 07:39 AM
Personally, I thought the Groesbeck-Burnet game in '91 was a real hoot! GOATS RULE!

3afan
09-18-2003, 07:40 AM
i love the nickname - GOATS !!!

3afan
09-18-2003, 07:41 AM
in the forney football program for the next home game (crandall !!!) there's going to be a nickname quiz ............

SintonFan
09-18-2003, 08:09 AM
jason:

3afan:

Chris Hart:
Well out of all the places I have seen as a Burnet fan for years, there is no place more intimidating than our home stadium. Burnet has the largest 3A fan base that I have witnessed personally, and when they get going it is a sight to behold. Burnet has averaged 7,500 home fans so far this year. Not bad for a community with a population of about 5,500. Also, I believe the last time we lost at home was during the 2000 season. Go Burnet Bulldogs!typical home crowd over-estimation ........ everyone is guilty of it7500 home fans in a town of 5500......so you had 2000 people show up from nowhere?? id like to go there, maybe all they do is golf....In Chris' defense. The home side is huge. Bigger than alot if not most 4A home sides. Last year's Bandera game it was almost full there. Now the visitor side, you might fit 400 if your lucky. A huge crowd advantage.

olddawggreen
09-18-2003, 08:28 AM
3afan, I don't know why this bothers you so much, but yes Burnet has been turning out more fans that the teams they have been playing, and yes they were averaging 10,000 fans during the last 3 play off games of 02. These estimates were based on seats filled, by people that are in the business of estimating crowds. No, they were not all from Burnet or Burnet County. They were from all over our district and other parts of Texas who turned out to see a great game. Why they chose to sit on the Burnet side, I don't know. Most likley they were supporting the Burnet team. Normally you sit on the side of the team that you would like to see win, and yes there were many more people sitting on the Burnet side than on the side of their opponents. I would suggest if you have further doubts, just come to a Burnet game and see for yourself.The proofs in the pooding. Heck, you can even sit on the other side if it makes you feel better! :D ,

HotDawg89
09-18-2003, 08:43 AM
3afan:

HotDawg89:

jason:

3afan:

Chris Hart:

LOL! About having 2000 show up out of nowhere... Burnet's census is always wrong. Seriously, I think that they only count people who live inside the city limits if I'm not mistaken. A large portion of our fan base is from neighboring Bertram, whose post 5th grade students attend Burnet schools. Then there are always the rural folks who aren't appreciated enough to be counted in the city census.ok, just because your last 3 playoff games had an attendance of around 10K+ you cant say "we had more than 10,000 follow us to the last 3 play off games". the odds are that much more than half, probably 75-80(+)% just wanted to see a good high school playoff game. every town has their die hards but not a big percentage are willing to travel any appreciable distance for a game. thats just the way it is. and thats everywhere.You know what, I can say that, and I did say that. We did have over 10,000 supporting us those last few games. They were wearing green my friend! I was making a point though, that Chris was right about our home stadium being packed every time we take the field. Our stadium holds 7000-7500 (I am not sure which) but the stands are always full! Just stating the facts. It is not an over-estimation. It is an intimidating place to play because of the large crowds- that was what the question was about. Are we the MOST intimidating? I don't know. I do know that we aren't intimidated by playing anywhere as of yet-due to the crowds anyway...If you don't believe it- come to any of the games we have at home this year. Heck, I just offered Jason a seat with us during our game against Marlin- you could always sit with us. . .

3afan
09-18-2003, 09:35 AM
it doesnt bother me ... nothing anyone types on this board could ever bother me. hey thats cool ... just stating opinions, thats what this board is all about, right?

<small>[ September 18, 2003, 09:36 AM: Message edited by: 3afan ]</small>

shinigdam
09-18-2003, 11:42 AM
They are not 3A, but I remember Waxahachie, especially in the mid/late 80's. It was so intimidating that as the bus drove through the gates, we put our helmets on and did not take them off until we got out of town with our loss. It was crazy.

trojandad
09-18-2003, 11:46 AM
A lady suggested we put a sign at our stadium on the visitors side saying "Jenny Craig Stadium", then under it say "If you come in here, you're gonna lose something".

We explained to her why that wouldn't work. Then we helped her to the pharmacist. eek! wink :p

Mad Dawg 20/20
09-18-2003, 12:10 PM
I'd have to agree with Matthew, Waxahachie and Stephenville are intimidating, and the old Cleburne stadium was just plain weird.

3afan
09-18-2003, 12:20 PM
trojandad:
A lady suggested we put a sign at our stadium on the visitors side saying "Jenny Craig Stadium", then under it say "If you come in here, you're gonna lose something".

We explained to her why that wouldn't work. Then we helped her to the pharmacist. eek! wink :p :rolleyes:

trojandad
09-18-2003, 12:26 PM
my bad......

Matthew328
09-18-2003, 12:29 PM
Lumpkins Stadium in Waxahachie has always been very intimidating..especially when Waxahachie was a powerhouse in the early 1990's...that 30 foot Indian in the end zone looking down...not to mention 10,000 screaming fans screaming Hachie, Hachie all game..LOL

HotDawg89
09-18-2003, 12:50 PM
Okay, now for my opinion...again, not 3A. But I'm going on my experience...when I was in HS (back in the old days as my daughter says) I went to Bastrop and we played Hays Consolidated...that was ALWAYS intimidating. They would stand up and hold newspapers in front of their faces and shake them when we went out on the court, or when the football players took field. Their fans rocked back then, and scared the mess out of us.

Old Dog
09-18-2003, 12:50 PM
jason and 3afan, I gotta give those Burnet numbers some support, the Burnet CISD covers over one-half of the area of Burnet County (and the county covers 995 square miles-Marble Falls takes in the other half). There is a huge retirement population along the four adjoining Highland Lakes. So, it consists of far more than the City of Burnet. Additional seating has been added two years in a row and there are still lots of folks standing.

Old Cardinal
09-18-2003, 03:15 PM
I agree with RBARKER about PNG games(4A), at the Reservation. I don't think they are intimidating, just disgusting. I watched a good Orangefield team work over the Mighty Indians until the fourth quarter, last year, when the PNG Referees called many many penalties on OF; enough to throw the game!...There were many assorted Coaches in the stands at that game, that were totally astounded at the display of arrogance by the Refs.-- in making sure PNG won the game at the Reservation, at any cost....No one saw a penalty except those that were throwing the game...They should have been wearing purple and white stripes instead of black and white stripes. I don't pull for OF that often, but Coach Flanigan and this team were harshly mistreated that night, at the Reservation. If it was the first time, that might not be so bad, but PNG has controlled the Officiating in the Golden Triange area when playing at the Reservation. This has been taking place, for several decades now!

<small>[ September 18, 2003, 03:20 PM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

3afan
09-18-2003, 03:24 PM
Old Dog:
jason and 3afan, I gotta give those Burnet numbers some support, the Burnet CISD covers over one-half of the area of Burnet County (and the county covers 995 square miles-Marble Falls takes in the other half). There is a huge retirement population along the four adjoining Highland Lakes. So, it consists of far more than the City of Burnet. Additional seating has been added two years in a row and there are still lots of folks standing.hey, i believe you. but i still say everyone over estimates their own crowds. EVERYONE. the only #s we ever get are someone's estimate and they're almost never reliable IMHO. :D

Massey78
09-20-2003, 09:59 PM
Thanks Old Cardinal...about time someone said the ref screwed us over..i played that game i never left the field..it was horrible they werent gonna let some little 3a school put in on png at the reservation in my mind we really won that game..thanks for pulling for us on that one

Knightmoon
09-21-2003, 12:40 AM
Everyone needs to witness a District game at the Mustang Bowl in Sweetwater. Very intimidating.

espn1
09-21-2003, 10:29 AM
3afan:

HotDawg89:

jason:

3afan:

Chris Hart:

LOL! About having 2000 show up out of nowhere... Burnet's census is always wrong. Seriously, I think that they only count people who live inside the city limits if I'm not mistaken. A large portion of our fan base is from neighboring Bertram, whose post 5th grade students attend Burnet schools. Then there are always the rural folks who aren't appreciated enough to be counted in the city census.ok, just because your last 3 playoff games had an attendance of around 10K+ you cant say "we had more than 10,000 follow us to the last 3 play off games". the odds are that much more than half, probably 75-80(+)% just wanted to see a good high school playoff game. every town has their die hards but not a big percentage are willing to travel any appreciable distance for a game. thats just the way it is. and thats everywhere.Yeah but they chose to buy the tickets from Burnet.

BurnetBulldog
09-21-2003, 10:46 AM
PAINTBALL:

GoForIt:

Chris Hart:
Well out of all the places I have seen as a Burnet fan for years, there is no place more intimidating than our home stadium. Burnet has the largest 3A fan base that I have witnessed personally, and when they get going it is a sight to behold. Burnet has averaged 7,500 home fans so far this year. Not bad for a community with a population of about 5,500. Also, I believe the last time we lost at home was during the 2000 season. Go Burnet Bulldogs!No offense, but you people are WAY too full of yourselves.As a Burnet fan of 30 years, I do feel that Burnet does consist of a lot of Johnny Come Lately Fans. I can remember the 94 season when we went 2-8 and sitting in the rain at Lake Travis with about 15 parents and the coaches' wifes. What a poor sight that was, and how sad for the kids. I just hope the fans stay fans when the lean years return, but I doubt it. The 94 season was just 3 seasons away from the great 91 season.I have to agree paintball, the lean years are coming...next year should see drastic differences in number of 'fans' going to watch the Bulldogs. But, it's atypical with any sport whether it be H.S., College or Pro. There are always a large number of band wagon jumpers that see a good team and want to join in as fans. That's fine and expected...a true FAN is one who supports the team through better or worse...damn sounds like a marriage. wink Regardless, this post is about intimidating stadiums and I can honestly say as a Burnet Grad and FAN that Burnet is not intimidating...the Team is intimidating not the stadium.

PAINTBALL
09-21-2003, 12:04 PM
Even with standing room only, the Burnet fans are the quietiest fans anywhere. I don't know how many times my wife and I are the only ones standing and cheering in our section after a good defensive stand. No, the Burnet stadium is not very intimidating.

3afan
09-21-2003, 12:07 PM
what???? 10,000+ people and its not intimidating ??? hmmmmmmmmmmmm ....

:cool:

PAINTBALL
09-21-2003, 12:16 PM
3afan:

:cool: Correct. All that everyone around me does during the entire game is gossip about the kids. They give my wife and I dirty looks because we have the nerve to actually make noise. Being an Aggie I know how to make noise. No coach would dream of planning to call audiables in Kyle Field. The other teams' quarterback could whisper audiables in Bulldog Stadium.

<small>[ September 21, 2003, 12:35 PM: Message edited by: PAINTBALL ]</small>

29x281
09-21-2003, 02:47 PM
How much does the home side of the SWT stadium hold? Because Burnet filled that up and then some.

PAINTBALL
09-21-2003, 03:40 PM
29x281:
How much does the home side of the SWT stadium hold? Because Burnet filled that up and then some.I agree that Burnet brings a crowd when they are ranked high and make the playoffs. The fans even made a lot of noise at the Sinton game last year when Burnet had its two big defensive stands that were the turning points of the game. This however does not make the Burnet stadium an intimidating place to play, which is the topic of these post.

29x281
09-21-2003, 04:32 PM
True, but I'm just trying to pin down some basic figures, because many here have contested those numbers.

As far as the crowd being quiet, Burnet has had very few close games at home recently. How loud can you expect us to be when we're up by 28 pts after the first quarter?

The Marlin game will be different I think.

espn1
09-21-2003, 06:44 PM
PAINTBALL:

3afan:

:cool: Correct. All that everyone around me does during the entire game is gossip about the kids. They give my wife and I dirty looks because we have the nerve to actually make noise. Being an Aggie I know how to make noise. No coach would dream of planning to call audiables in Kyle Field. The other teams' quarterback could whisper audiables in Bulldog Stadium.I can tell this is probably your second year to watch Burnet.

PAINTBALL
09-21-2003, 06:51 PM
espn1:

PAINTBALL:

3afan:

:cool: Correct. All that everyone around me does during the entire game is gossip about the kids. They give my wife and I dirty looks because we have the nerve to actually make noise. Being an Aggie I know how to make noise. No coach would dream of planning to call audiables in Kyle Field. The other teams' quarterback could whisper audiables in Bulldog Stadium.I can tell this is probably your second year to watch Burnet.You are nuts. I've been going to Burnet games for the last 30 years. I've owned season tickets from the time the new stadium was built. If you think the Burnet stadium is intimidating, then you haven't been to any games prior to the 2001 season. I am just being honest on this post.

espn1
09-21-2003, 07:19 PM
PAINTBALL:

espn1:

PAINTBALL:

3afan:

:cool: Correct. All that everyone around me does during the entire game is gossip about the kids. They give my wife and I dirty looks because we have the nerve to actually make noise. Being an Aggie I know how to make noise. No coach would dream of planning to call audiables in Kyle Field. The other teams' quarterback could whisper audiables in Bulldog Stadium.I can tell this is probably your second year to watch Burnet.You are nuts. I've been going to Burnet games for the last 30 years. I've owned season tickets from the time the new stadium was built. If you think the Burnet stadium is intimidating, then you haven't been to any games prior to the 2001 season. I am just being honest on this post.You want to see intimidating wait and watch the Bandera game, and we're the visitors. That's one of the ways we kept Gatesville in check. I had plenty of people to talk to and I was setting on the G'ville side. I was just yanking your chain on the 2 year thing. I've got a few years on you so I'm sure I know you or your family.

PAINTBALL
09-21-2003, 07:29 PM
I just wish the Burnet fans would make noise when the defense is on the field. There are a few other die heart fans that I see standing and yelling, but most just sit on their hands except on really important downs like 3rd and 1. What if they made the same noise on 1st and 10. I really don't think our fans are that educated on the importance of noise when the defense is on the field. We have this new score board flashing "make noise" and the stands were silent. They don't even follow directions from the scoreboard. I'm just trying to embarrass our fans into yelling.

Bandera YaYa
09-21-2003, 07:44 PM
WEll, I don't know where all you Burnet fans are gonna sit when you come here. But you are very much welcomed, just bring your lawn chairs. I've been standing in the end zone at this years games, so you can have my seat in the stadium! See you there!

PAINTBALL
09-21-2003, 07:49 PM
Bandera YaYa:
WEll, I don't know where all you Burnet fans are gonna sit when you come here. But you are very much welcomed, just bring your lawn chairs. I've been standing in the end zone at this years games, so you can have my seat in the stadium! See you there!I heard the admistration refused to move the game so the town would be embarrassed and pass a bond issue for a new stadium. Any truth to this rumor?

Bandera YaYa
09-21-2003, 10:42 PM
Nope haven't heard anything on that.....sorry.
But it will be a tight squeeze for sure..better come early!

Brahma73
09-22-2003, 11:52 AM
Football - Navasota "The Pit"
Basketball - Hempstead HS Gym

Bandera YaYa
09-22-2003, 02:49 PM
PAINTBALL:

Bandera YaYa:
WEll, I don't know where all you Burnet fans are gonna sit when you come here. But you are very much welcomed, just bring your lawn chairs. I've been standing in the end zone at this years games, so you can have my seat in the stadium! See you there!I heard the admistration refused to move the game so the town would be embarrassed and pass a bond issue for a new stadium. Any truth to this rumor?So anyways, where did you hear of such a rumor????

<small>[ September 22, 2003, 02:50 PM: Message edited by: Bandera YaYa ]</small>

PAINTBALL
09-22-2003, 03:28 PM
Bandera YaYa:

PAINTBALL:

Bandera YaYa:
WEll, I don't know where all you Burnet fans are gonna sit when you come here. But you are very much welcomed, just bring your lawn chairs. I've been standing in the end zone at this years games, so you can have my seat in the stadium! See you there!I heard the admistration refused to move the game so the town would be embarrassed and pass a bond issue for a new stadium. Any truth to this rumor?</strong>
So anyways, where did you hear of such a rumor????From Burnet's school board president. Who knows where he heard it from.