PDA

View Full Version : Eli is not the MVP

STANG RED
02-03-2008, 11:58 PM
I'll give him credit for that last drive. He did what he had to do, and played very well during two scoring drives, but really that was about it. That last drive wouldnt have even mattered if the Giants defense hadnt kept them in it till that point. I would have given the MVP trophy to the entire Giants defense if it were me.
This is no diss on Eli at all, he got the job done when it counted, but the defense won the championship no doubt.

DU_stud04
02-04-2008, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by STANG RED
I'll give him credit for that last drive. He did what he had to do, and played very well during two scoring drives, but really that was about it. That last drive wouldnt have even mattered if the Giants defense hadnt kept them in it till that point. I would have given the MVP trophy to the entire Giants defense if it were me.
This is no diss on Eli at all, he got the job done when it counted, but the defense won the championship no doubt. agreed. that defense was looking good, i dont think brady has knocked down that many times all season. great penetration/coverage. good game giants.

Rabbit'93
02-04-2008, 12:26 AM
Tuck is the MVP

buff4ever
02-04-2008, 08:48 AM
ELI is the MVP. Facts are facts.

Entire Giants team played EXCELLENT football against a great team. In the end Eli lead that team to that win. If they win 10 to 7, I give it to Strahand or someone on defense. However, 17 to 14 has to go to ELI for the winning drive. JUST MY OPINION.

runthequarter
02-04-2008, 08:52 AM
Defense T-A SCK INT FF

J. Tuck 5-1 2.0 0 1

MVP

Rocket Dad
02-04-2008, 10:08 AM
Eli - MVP - agreed This is ths NFL - that award is normally going to a QB, RB, WR.

CenTexSports
02-04-2008, 10:30 AM
The defense kept them in the game and allowed the Giants to win but:

Put 20 other QB's in the Super Bowl with under 3 minutes left needing a score to beat the 18-0 Patriots and the Giants lose. Eli won the MVP for that drive.

I respect Eli very much. Peyton wouldn't go to Ole Miss becasue of his father's legacy. Eli went there and excelled. Eli took his dad's advice and went to the pressure cooker that is NYC. He has taken the verbal beatings that come with being a NYC athlete and he has won the SB and the SB MVP. I think he deserves a huge pat on the back.

big daddy russ
02-04-2008, 10:36 AM
I've still got Tuck. Heck, you might as well give it to the entire defensive line. No matter what Eli did for one drive, those guys sucked it up (even when they were dog tired) and kept the pressure on Tom Brady, something nobody else has been able to do.

buff4ever
02-04-2008, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
I've still got Tuck. Heck, you might as well give it to the entire defensive line. No matter what Eli did for one drive, those guys sucked it up (even when they were dog tired) and kept the pressure on Tom Brady, something nobody else has been able to do.

First off, understood, I agree.

On the other hand, you can't give it to 5 guys, and remember it was 5 of them putting that pressure on brady.

ONLY 1 GUY CAN LEAD AN OFFENSE AND MAKE PLAYS LIKE HE DID THE LAST 2 DRIVES. MVP< MVP<MVP!!!

Maroon87
02-04-2008, 10:45 AM
I voted for Tuck and Umenyiora as co-MVP.

big daddy russ
02-04-2008, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by buff4ever
First off, understood, I agree.

On the other hand, you can't give it to 5 guys, and remember it was 5 of them putting that pressure on brady.

ONLY 1 GUY CAN LEAD AN OFFENSE AND MAKE PLAYS LIKE HE DID THE LAST 2 DRIVES. MVP< MVP<MVP!!!
Then I've got Tuck.

pirate4state
02-04-2008, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
I've still got Tuck. Heck, you might as well give it to the entire defensive line. No matter what Eli did for one drive, those guys sucked it up (even when they were dog tired) and kept the pressure on Tom Brady, something nobody else has been able to do. :clap: well said

Was Tampa Bay the last SB winner to have a defensive MVP named? :thinking:

I'm sure some of the "family" stuff played a role with the voters. :rolleyes: :devil:

But that was a hell of a drive to score the go ahead TD!!!!

buff4ever
02-04-2008, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
:clap: well said

I'm sure some of the "family" stuff played a role with the voters. :rolleyes: :devil:

But that was a hell of a drive to score the go ahead TD!!!!

Like I said earlier, if they win 10 to 7, DEFENSIVE MVP to someone, but which one would be the question.

But, 17 to 14 means it had to go to eli for the final two drives. Makes him an easier pick than any ONE defensive player.

catdaddy
02-04-2008, 12:02 PM
I'm gonna go with David Tyree. Eli made a few poor throws on that drive and his throw to Tyree into heavy coverage was highly questionable but if were not for Tyree making a truly outstanding catch, I think the Patriots hang to win and ruin my off-season. I give Eli credit for remaining poised. (Nothing makes me smile more in the regular season than his pouty, befuttled look) but other than Tyree , I would have to go with Tuck.

charlesrixey
02-04-2008, 12:06 PM
This is no diss on Eli at all, he got the job done when it counted, but the defense won the championship no doubt.

agreed

the defensive line won the game for the giants

K-MAC Chuck
02-04-2008, 12:17 PM
Great points here!

My initial vote was going to David Tyree..

but after all was said and done, I can't think anyone but the Giants' Defense was the TRUE MVP. If the defense doesn't do what it did, then Eli & Offense have NO CHANCE to launch a game-winning drive, period.

congrats to all Giants' fans, they saw their team go out and earn a well-deserved victory...

kinda reminds me of the BCS College Championship a couple of years ago..ESPN and all were crowning USC as the champions (and "best team ever") before the game was even played, yet Vince Young led UT to a hard-earned victory.

JasperDog94
02-04-2008, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by K-MAC Chuck

kinda reminds me of the BCS College Championship a couple of years ago..ESPN and all were crowning USC as the champions (and "best team ever") before the game was even played, yet Vince Young led UT to a hard-earned victory. I was thinking the same thing.

Sweetwater Red
02-04-2008, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state

Didn't Ray Lewis win it the year Baltimore won?:thinking:

eagles_victory
02-04-2008, 01:08 PM
Dont see how you can argue against Eli he had good yardage 2 TD's and 1 int. If Smith doesnt drop that one pass it could very easily be 3 TDs and 0 ints. Plus he led a fourth quarter comeback in the last 2 minutes of the superbowl against what was suppose to be the number 1 team of all time. That has to count for something.

Tuck was good yes but 6 tackles and 2 sacks over a QB who threw 2 huge 4th quarter touchdowns and was unbeliveable all night on 3rd downs usually third and longs I dont know if Tuck was that good.

themsu97
02-04-2008, 01:20 PM
I agree with Eagle and this is why...
all year people have ridden Eli for not being a big game qb... when his team went down 14-10 everyone, Patriots included, figured the game was over... Eli led his team down the field to a big win... forget Tyree's catch, if Eli does not escape from the pressure no big deal... what about Burress dropping 4 passes, Smith missed 2, 1 led to an interception...
if that was Brady leading the pats down the field there would be no question as to who the mVP is... ELi grew up yesterday

piratebg
02-04-2008, 01:39 PM
Manning was the MVP. He may not have been the unanimous pick, but he was it. Tuck had a great game too and could have easily been the co-MVP.

crzyjournalist03
02-04-2008, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
Didn't Ray Lewis win it the year Baltimore won?:thinking:

yes...but Baltimore won XXXV...Tampa was XXXVII

slpybear the bullfan
02-04-2008, 02:02 PM
MVP was WES WELKER.

11 receptions for 103 yds in the game and that tied a Superbowl record. He was the only standout Offensive player for either side. Both Deion Branch and Jerry Rice were named Super Bowl MVPs for doing the same feat previously.

Eli was a good solid QB... but nothing very outstanding other than the struggle to avoid a sack. Throw in an incredibly lucky/skilled trap of the football on his helmet by Tyree and the Giants move on to complete a scoring drive.

Eli had a 55% completion rating which is number 70 out of 87 on the QB Superbowl list. Threw for 255 yds and two TDs. He was sacked three times, and got stuck with an INT.. (wasn't this for putting a ball too low into his WR and it got flipped up when he tried to catch it? Can't remember but it was goofy INT to get stuck with). I haven't found his rating yet, but overall, a pretty average performance for a qb.

If you pick a Giant for MVP you have to go with Tuck... two sacks, six tackles, one forced fumble. The Giants D is why they won the SB. Reading the media, everyone is pointing to the D of the Giants and their playoff run. It is a shame that no one will honor this D and instead make a weak, generic pick for MVP like Eli.

PS - super interesting article about SB QBs from CHFF.com... would like to see it updated.

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Article.php?Page=693

Rabbit'93
02-04-2008, 02:17 PM
You can't go with Eli. It's not like the guy lit it up. 14 pts is all he could get his team to. Heck he did better than that the last time they played.

The Giants D held the NFL's most prolific offense to a mere 14 pts. If that's not MVP worthy I don't know what is.

buff4ever
02-04-2008, 02:28 PM
You guys are failing to see my point in that the entire defense DID GREAT, or even perfect. But you can not pick ONE DEFENDER out of that performance to be the MVP.

Given the circumstances at the end of the game, you have to stick with ELI. He helped them to get 17 points by the way not 14. And that is better than TOM BRADY, the BEST QB OF ALL TIME APPARENTLY, could do last night.

Main point is that it was the circumstances that he did it, that is what helped his pick ahead of any INDIVIDUAL DEFENDER.

Why Tuck instead of strahan, he had a sack and a half at least, tackles, and batted balls and he is retiring.

eagles_victory
02-04-2008, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan
MVP was WES WELKER.

11 receptions for 103 yds in the game and that tied a Superbowl record. He was the only standout Offensive player for either side. Both Deion Branch and Jerry Rice were named Super Bowl MVPs for doing the same feat previously.

Eli was a good solid QB... but nothing very outstanding other than the struggle to avoid a sack. Throw in an incredibly lucky/skilled trap of the football on his helmet by Tyree and the Giants move on to complete a scoring drive.

Eli had a 55% completion rating which is number 70 out of 87 on the QB Superbowl list. Threw for 255 yds and two TDs. He was sacked three times, and got stuck with an INT.. (wasn't this for putting a ball too low into his WR and it got flipped up when he tried to catch it? Can't remember but it was goofy INT to get stuck with). I haven't found his rating yet, but overall, a pretty average performance for a qb.

If you pick a Giant for MVP you have to go with Tuck... two sacks, six tackles, one forced fumble. The Giants D is why they won the SB. Reading the media, everyone is pointing to the D of the Giants and their playoff run. It is a shame that no one will honor this D and instead make a weak, generic pick for MVP like Eli.

PS - super interesting article about SB QBs from CHFF.com... would like to see it updated.

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Article.php?Page=693 Wes Welker are you serious? To win the superbowl on a losing team you have to have an outstanding out of this world effort. 11 catches for 103 yards is hardly out of this world. Yea Jerry Rice won it with 11 catches but he also had 215 yards (double of Welker) and a touchdown plus his team won. When talking about wide outs catches is not near as important as recieving yards and recieving touchdowns. I mean you can get a catch and lose 2 yards and you can get a catch and gain 40 and in the catch category both of those count the same.

As for Eli are you really baseing your argument around completion percentage and quarterback rating. Those stats are all well in good but the bottom line is in the 4th quarter when all the chips were down and it mattered the most Eli led his team to two huge touchdown drives. Plus Eli was through the roof on 3rd down passing he completed 3rd and long after 3rd and long when it counted he came up huge. They went down the field a lot of the game instead of going with short underneath passes (which builds completion percentage) Eli gave his team exactly what they needed to win the game thats why he is the MVP. How can people say he just managed the game when he led his team all the way down the field with less then 2 minutes.

If this same exact game played out the exact same way but it was the Packers instead of the Giants people would be calling it such a great performance by the great Brett Farve but sinces its the unpopular Eli Manning people want to give it to Tuck. No disrespect to Tuck but when a guys biggest play is a sack and forced fumble in the first half that doesnt compare to a guy throwing 2 huge TD passes in the 4th quarter.

slpybear the bullfan
02-04-2008, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
Wes Welker are you serious? To win the superbowl on a losing team you have to have an outstanding out of this world effort. 11 catches for 103 yards is hardly out of this world. Yea Jerry Rice won it with 11 catches but he also had 215 yards (double of Welker) and a touchdown plus his team won. When talking about wide outs catches is not near as important as recieving yards and recieving touchdowns. I mean you can get a catch and lose 2 yards and you can get a catch and gain 40 and in the catch category both of those count the same.

As for Eli are you really baseing your argument around completion percentage and quarterback rating. Those stats are all well in good but the bottom line is in the 4th quarter when all the chips were down and it mattered the most Eli led his team to two huge touchdown drives. Plus Eli was through the roof on 3rd down passing he completed 3rd and long after 3rd and long when it counted he came up huge. They went down the field a lot of the game instead of going with short underneath passes (which builds completion percentage) Eli gave his team exactly what they needed to win the game thats why he is the MVP. How can people say he just managed the game when he led his team all the way down the field with less then 2 minutes.

If this same exact game played out the exact same way but it was the Packers instead of the Giants people would be calling it such a great performance by the great Brett Farve but sinces its the unpopular Eli Manning people want to give it to Tuck. No disrespect to Tuck but when a guys biggest play is a sack and forced fumble in the first half that doesnt compare to a guy throwing 2 huge TD passes in the 4th quarter.

Welker's stats outshone anyone elses. (And no, I am not a Tech homer.)

Eli's 3rd down conversions? He was 8 of 16 on 3rd down and 3 of 6 in the second half. Not exactly lights out... but not bad either.

My point is that Eli put in an average performance for the day and benefited from a big drive in the final two minutes that hinged on a 32 yard desperation throw and a lucky/skilled catch by Tyree on 3rd and 5. He plays for a NY team that beat a team that everyone hated (including me), so he was a shoe-in for the MVP. IMHO, he did not deserve it.

If you have a D that shuts down the NFLs #1 ranked offense led by a former Superbowl MVP QB, you bet they deserve an MVP. This is a D that shut down, (in order), the #3, #2, then #1 ranked Offenses in the NFL. That is why the Giants are champs today.

You mention the "unpopular" Eli Manning? Not with any of the darling media today. The lovefest has begun.

Think we will agree to disagree on this one.

big daddy russ
02-04-2008, 04:32 PM
Outside of the last three minutes, Eli was Trent Dilfer Jr. That single drive, the kind of drive where your QB has to step up, turned him from a game manager into a hero. I'm not discounting his importance to the final outcome, I'm just taking the term "MVP" at its basic meaning-- the person who was more valuable to his team's success than any other person.

As far as value goes, Wes Welker was easily the most valuable Patriot, and probably the only reason Tom Brady had a decent completion rating. On that note, the Giant who got more pressure, and consistent pressure, on the Pats' offense was Justin Tuck. I don't know how many downs he played, but it seemed like he was there every time I looked up. I would've never known he was the third man in the rotation unless I knew the Giants' depth chart. Two sacks, six tackles (as a third DE!), and several more knockdowns. He did it all game long. Preventing Brady and that offense from finding their rhythm is what kept the G-Men in the game, but did anyone else notice how well he did against the run? New England had all but abandoned Laurence Maroney before the fourth quarter ever started.

Leopards,class of 75
02-04-2008, 04:44 PM
Eli Manning is the M.V.P. and I agree with everyones post about other players. But to just pick one is very hard to do, so most the time the Q.B. with the winning team usually gets the award. Not saying it's fair, but this was no doubt a TEAM effort of a win. Congrats to the N.Y. Giants!!!!!

buff4ever
02-04-2008, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Leopards,class of 75
Eli Manning is the M.V.P. and I agree with everyones post about other players. But to just pick one is very hard to do, so most the time the Q.B. with the winning team usually gets the award. Not saying it's fair, but this was no doubt a TEAM effort of a win. Congrats to the N.Y. Giants!!!!!

Now you make good sense.

A case could be made for Tyree, but that was just one play.

The number of key plays with eli's direct involvement out number the number of key plays with anyone elses' direct involvment.

ToroChingon
02-04-2008, 09:22 PM

Well, I want my money back for the newspaper! It says Manning won the MVP!:mad:

Old Tiger
02-04-2008, 09:27 PM
Now days MVP, Heisman, Player of the year, and other types of similar awards are a glorified offensive awards. Sad.

Emerson1
02-04-2008, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by buff4ever
Now you make good sense.

A case could be made for Tyree, but that was just one play.

He had a touchdown catch to