PDA

View Full Version : College Recruiting

Chopblock
02-02-2008, 10:26 PM
Learned another lesson from college recruiting today.
A college that had been courting my son since June basically decided that he was too light today.
Now, what makes me mad is that he turned down a visit to a 1AA school this weekend because he had given his word to this Div2 school that he would visit and they made mention of money on the table
Basically what I learned is not to trust a coach today

coach
02-03-2008, 03:35 AM
Originally posted by Chopblock
Learned another lesson from college recruiting today.
A college that had been courting my son since June basically decided that he was too light today.
Now, what makes me mad is that he turned down a visit to a 1AA school this weekend because he had given his word to this Div2 school that he would visit and they made mention of money on the table
Basically what I learned is not to trust a coach today

money on the table isnt that illegal?

Chopblock
02-03-2008, 08:40 AM
it means they had takled about a specfic amount of scholarship money

LH Panther Mom
02-03-2008, 08:44 AM
That totally stinks! :(

Chopblock
02-03-2008, 08:50 AM
WE have learned more in the past 3 weeks. It is a cut throat business, it hurts when they are cutting your kids throat

LH Panther Mom
02-03-2008, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by Chopblock
WE have learned more in the past 3 weeks. It is a cut throat business, it hurts when they are cutting your kids throat
I've read that for a couple of years & it makes me nervous. I'll probably have similar things before long, too.

bigcat8
02-03-2008, 10:20 AM
anyone that played college football knows how cut throat recruiting can get...

Chopblock
02-03-2008, 04:28 PM
I guess it wasn't that bad 25 years ago, I had 3 schools look and me an I took what I thought was the best offer
Didn't have them nickle and dime me to death, that is apparently what Div2 is all about. Can the Parents afford it, if the can, not much help. If they can't and are low income, get the govt to pay for it but make it look like the college is

Aesculus gilmus
02-03-2008, 04:48 PM
This is just symptomatic of the entire culture and society. I am glad I came of age when the U.S. was at its peak. and SMU was still a pro team.

Adidas410s
02-03-2008, 05:08 PM
This is an all too common situation in college football. I decided a few months to join Tech's Rivals site until NSD on Wednesday...and there are plenty of cases of these things happening.

1. Texas offers kids at their Junior day (late February Jr Year) with the premise that if you're talking to/visiting other schools...then you lose your scholarship at Texas.

2. Notre Dame does pretty much the same thing...once you commit to ND you DO NOT visit another school period. However, they don't do it so far out...but they offer 90%+ kids that come on an official visit.

3. Kansas State has been dropping kids in the past few weeks in favor or JUCO players. Ron Prince is on his last leg and hoping that an influx of immediate players will right the ship.

4. Oklahoma State won't think twice about pulling a kids ship if a better prospect comes along. I think the number is up to 3 kids now.

5. Texas Tech had a visitor (turned commit) this weekend that was a Mizzou commit until Tuesday. At the last second, Mizzou called him and said they don't have room for him anymore...and dumped him with less than a week to go.

Sorry to hear this happened to your son. I'm sure he'll land on his feet at a school that truly wants him! :)