PDA

View Full Version : Celina Calls Out 5A teams at Realignment

Matthew328
02-01-2008, 03:26 PM
Today while at Birdville FAAC, an announcement comes over the loud speaker that shocked me,

"Celina has openings for Week 0, 3, and 4. Will play 3A, 4A or 5A opponents."

Needless to say only FW Arlington Heights took Celina up on the offer

BobcatBenny
02-01-2008, 03:33 PM
I think this settles the argument as to the toughest District and Region.

Anyone want to discuss? :mad:

Sweetwater Red
02-01-2008, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by BobcatBenny

All that tells me is their are a bunch of panty wastes over there
that are more worried about their overall record than getting
to play against good competition.

LH Panther Mom
02-01-2008, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
All that tells me is their are a bunch of panty wastes over there
that are more worried about their overall record than getting
to play against good competition.
Or there's that..... :D

texasjeremy
02-01-2008, 03:43 PM
Arlington Heights is 4A. But most of those FWISD 4A Schools (FWISD only has 1 5A school) are about the equivalent of playing a 2A school.

Matthew328
02-01-2008, 03:45 PM
Arlington Heights is decent.....they were a lil down last year but they've been OK the past few years...I applaud them for trying to upgrade their schedule

Txbroadcaster
02-01-2008, 03:47 PM
Please tell me what good would come out of a 5A playing a 2A?

For the 5A it is a lose-lose either way.

jockcity33
02-01-2008, 03:48 PM
What good can a 5A school get out of playing a 3A school? If the 3A wins what is that going to do to the morale of the kids on the 5A team? and if the 5A wins then whooptydo we beat a little ole 3A school.

Sweetwater Red
02-01-2008, 03:48 PM
Most West Texas 4A schools are horrible. They still don't mind
scheduling Sweetwater, Snyder, or Wylie and getting drummed
year in and year out though. :thinking:

3afan
02-01-2008, 03:49 PM

thats says nothing wrt to the toughest District a/o Region -- just says no local 4A & 5A wanted to play Celina

and why should they, they have all to lose and nothing to gain

Matthew328
02-01-2008, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster

5A has zero to gain.....but poor Celina...having all kinds of problems finding games..

They may have to go out of state like Southlake Carroll will probably have to do

texasjeremy
02-01-2008, 03:53 PM
Why are they having such problems? Did their district get screwed up and catch them off guard?

jason
02-01-2008, 03:53 PM
celina vs unt @ fouts
vs umhb

maybe slc and celina could play...

Panther One
02-01-2008, 03:54 PM
It would be extremely dumb for a 5A team to ever schedule a 3A team. You're just putting yourself in a lose-lose situation.

texasjeremy
02-01-2008, 03:56 PM
It happens occasionally, but only if there is a 5A school thats very bad and is desperate not to go 0-10, they would stoop as low as to schedule a 3A school.

Matthew328
02-01-2008, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by texasjeremy
Why are they having such problems? Did their district get screwed up and catch them off guard?

When you are very good like Celina is it is tough to find teams who are willing to play you....SLC is having the same problem right now trying to schedule 5 non-district games

trojan37
02-01-2008, 04:02 PM
What's this Hall of Fame Classic that's supposed to be played? A few Texas schools playing out of state teams in that one. Maybe Celina could get an out of state matchup in that. Not sure what week it is.

texasjeremy
02-01-2008, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
When you are very good like Celina is it is tough to find teams who are willing to play you....SLC is having the same problem right now trying to schedule 5 non-district games

Thats silly, I can see SLC having problems because they are the premier program in the state. Celina is a good 3A, but they are just that a 3A, there are a ton of 4A schools that would take it to Celina, not sure that they are all just scared, probably more has to do with them already having games set.

mwynn05
02-01-2008, 04:05 PM
Thats silly, I can see SLC having problems because they are the premier program in the state. Celina is a good 3A, but they are just that a 3A, there are a ton of 4A schools that would take it to Celina, not sure that they are all just scared, probably more has to do with them already having games set. Celina has had problems scheduling games the last 3 or 4 realignments

texasjeremy
02-01-2008, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by mwynn05
Celina has had problems scheduling games the last 3 or 4 realignments

Maybe thats the problem, maybe its them. By the way, good to see Fairfield is staying in the Palestine District for another 2 years, Welcome to East Texas.

Matthew328
02-01-2008, 04:13 PM
It happens for some reason to top 3A teams....not sure why it is....Liberty Hill only had 9 games the past 2 seasons...I remember Everman when they were 3A had to schedule an out of state team....Gilmer also has had major problems in scheduling games in the past

JR2004
02-01-2008, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster

From a 5A perspective, nothing good could ever come out of a 5A playing a 3A. 3A schools can do stuff like this and pound their chest about it and say no one wants to play them, but it's pretty ridiculous. It'd have been just as ridiculous if Madison had done the same thing and asked for a 5A opponent knowing that no one would take them up on it because the 5A school has everything to lose and nothing to gain.

texasjeremy
02-01-2008, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
From a 5A perspective, nothing good could ever come out of a 5A playing a 3A. 3A schools can do stuff like this and pound their chest about it and say no one wants to play them, but it's pretty ridiculous. It'd have been just as ridiculous if Madison had done the same thing and asked for a 5A opponent knowing that no one would take them up on it because the 5A school has everything to lose and nothing to gain.

Yeah, its kinda like SLC asking to play a college team, then getting blown off and them saying college teams are scared of them.

3afan
02-01-2008, 04:16 PM
i love all these tales this time of year of "yeah we called XXXX and they wouldn't play us ..."

nerds

:D

crzyjournalist03
02-01-2008, 04:18 PM
I heard that Burnet called the Kansas City Chiefs and Herm Edwards wouldn't play them...

Matthew328
02-01-2008, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by JR2004

But actually Roosevelt did play a 5A team last two years!! LOL (granted it was Molina..but still)

I think Celina is to the point where they'll play just about anyone just to get 5 non-district games in....but we all figured no one would take em up...

But it woulda been funny to see what Celina would do if SLC came up and said yeah we'll play you!

texasjeremy
02-01-2008, 04:20 PM
But actually Roosevelt did play a 5A team last two years!! LOL

I think Celina is to the point where they'll play just about anyone just to get 5 non-district games in....but we all figured no one would take em up...

But it woulda been funny to see what Celina would do if SLC came up and said yeah we'll play you!

Haha, they would either get quiet and make up an excuse real fast, or they would take a beatdown like they wouldnt believe.

Panther One
02-01-2008, 04:21 PM
That would be interesting...

Matthew328
02-01-2008, 04:22 PM
Knowing Celina if SLC did approach them I bet they'd play...but it wont happen SLC wouldn't stoop to play a 4A team much less a 3A....

BobcatBenny
02-01-2008, 04:22 PM
Just heard we got a 5A team to add us. :eek:

Just Kidding! :D

Matthew328
02-01-2008, 04:24 PM
Well Bobcat don't hold it out from us...

crzyjournalist03
02-01-2008, 04:24 PM

:devil: :devil: :devil:

Perhaps everybody was joking around too soon.

Southlake Carroll vs. Celina....let's see it!!!

JR2004
02-01-2008, 04:26 PM
But actually Roosevelt did play a 5A team last two years!! LOL (granted it was Molina..but still)

lol...Yeah they sure did...But then again it was Molina and that game was dictated more by the proximity between the schools.

BobcatBenny
02-01-2008, 04:28 PM
Please select and highlight the text next to the smile. :D

Matthew328
02-01-2008, 04:29 PM
Benny you are killing me!!

Celina had two openings....Week 0 and 3.....I am racking my brain trying to figure out who they got....

Ranger Mom
02-01-2008, 04:30 PM

Just Kidding! :D

You think some of them would know better by now!!!

Amateurs!!
:)

Matthew328
02-01-2008, 04:31 PM
yes I am a rookie...nice...I feel like an idiot now! LOL

texasjeremy
02-01-2008, 04:32 PM
Knowing Celina if SLC did approach them I bet they'd play...but it wont happen SLC wouldn't stoop to play a 4A team much less a 3A....

Damn, did you just call Celina stupid.

BobcatBenny
02-01-2008, 04:32 PM
Probably a private school.

mwynn05
02-01-2008, 04:33 PM
Maybe thats the problem, maybe its them. By the way, good to see Fairfield is staying in the Palestine District for another 2 years, Welcome to East Texas. I was kind of surprised I thought we went to region 2 for a minute when i seen mexia and groesbeck but not us in a distict....i just wish we could have gotten mexia on the non district schedule....district is weaker than it has been the last 2 years imo

texasjeremy
02-01-2008, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by mwynn05
I was kind of surprised I thought we went to region 2 for a minute when i seen mexia and groesbeck but not us in a distict....i just wish we could have gotten mexia on the non district schedule....district is weaker than it has been the last 2 years imo

Really, because the district has been pretty damn weak the last 2 years. Who do you see winning this district? Palestine? Crockett?

mwynn05
02-01-2008, 05:20 PM
Really, because the district has been pretty damn weak the last 2 years. Who do you see winning this district? Palestine? Crockett? well athens sucks westwood is going to go back to normal brownsboro has been decent recently but normally they suck...were going to suck

texasjeremy
02-01-2008, 05:35 PM
So Palestine and Crockett by default. Those 2 have played some good close games over the last decade. I remember a bad 4A Palestine team making a big comeback to beat 3A #1 team Crockett by 1 point in 2000. Even the Adrian Peterson teams struggled to beat Crockett, I know one of them went to OT with AD running in a 2 point conversion to win. Question is, who takes 3rd? Maybe Brownsboro? Maybe Athens? If Westwood is back to normal, that will mean they will be awful. How is Fairfield, are they returning very many players?

sic'em
02-01-2008, 06:33 PM
any on you celina folk know if pp and celina are going to continue to play even though we bearcats are back in little ol' 2a now and yall are looking to play 5a-level competition? i know you guys prob want a tougher game, but we have played almost every year for 50 years (except 1990 and 1991).

Matthew328
02-01-2008, 06:35 PM
Pilot Point did not want to play Celina this year according to DMN

charlesrixey
02-01-2008, 06:38 PM
Pilot Point did not want to play Celina this year according to DMN

this is a sad day for collin and denton counties

this could possibly be the end of the rivalry

wouldn't that be great---if the series ended as a tie?

23-23-1

BobcatBenny
02-01-2008, 06:44 PM
It is not a sad day for collin county.

It is a pathetic day for denton county. What a pathetic town, Pilot Point does not deserve to wear orange.

sic'em
02-01-2008, 06:47 PM
i agree, as i just posted over in the other thread. this is a sad day. i think pp will be in 2a for more than 2 years and lord knows where celina will be in 4 years. in 2006 there were 0 new homes built in the city limits of pp, in 2007 there were 2. there is a better than 50% chance that this thing is over. very, very sad. i think it is appropriate that it ends with that record.

OldNavy
02-01-2008, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by sic'em
i agree, as i just posted over in the other thread. this is a sad day. i think pp will be in 2a for more than 2 years and lord knows where celina will be in 4 years. in 2006 there were 0 new homes built in the city limits of pp, in 2007 there were 2. there is a better than 50% chance that this thing is over. very, very sad. i think it is appropriate that it ends with that record.

It has been such a good tradition, I hate to see that end, also, if not mistaken, it has always been a great $$$gate. I guess I am not surprised though. Just wish it could have been different.

sic'em
02-01-2008, 07:01 PM
i am really disappointed about this, but they were going to have to break free at some point from a yearly 50 point drubbing, which was only going to get worse as celina grows and pp stagnates. they have to try to rebuild a tradition and redefine who they are. sooo, here we come s&s, callisburg, valley view, pottsboro, and the mighty chaps... wow that was the most depressing thing i have said in a while. maybe we can follow farmersville's lead.

3afan
02-01-2008, 07:05 PM
times change ..... move on

zebrablue2
02-01-2008, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
i love all these tales this time of year of "yeah we called XXXX and they wouldn't play us ..."

nerds

LOL...

BobcatBenny
02-01-2008, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by 3afan

nerds

Well, not much discussion required about Forney because they had almost every team with-in 300 miles calling and trying to get an opponent for a homecoming game. :D :eek: :p :devil:

bobcat1
02-01-2008, 09:36 PM
Today while at Birdville FAAC, an announcement comes over the loud speaker that shocked me,

"Celina has openings for Week 0, 3, and 4. Will play 3A, 4A or 5A opponents."

Needless to say only FW Arlington Heights took Celina up on the offer

That means any 3A purple teams that feel froggy, jump! No need in playing a 9 game season. Let's meet and greet! :D ;)

pooch
02-01-2008, 10:28 PM
Call one of the 6 man teams, Bobcat...

j_dog
02-01-2008, 10:34 PM
It happens for some reason to top 3A teams....not sure why it is....Liberty Hill only had 9 games the past 2 seasons...I remember Everman when they were 3A had to schedule an out of state team....Gilmer also has had major problems in scheduling games in the past
yeah, but Gilmer found a patsy to schedule in week zero this fall. :D

kepdawg
02-02-2008, 01:54 PM
Those crazy Celina people crack me up! Trying to act all big and bad like they could play with 5A schools!

jimmyceatworld
02-02-2008, 04:53 PM
So Palestine and Crockett by default. Those 2 have played some good close games over the last decade. I remember a bad 4A Palestine team making a big comeback to beat 3A #1 team Crockett by 1 point in 2000. Even the Adrian Peterson teams struggled to beat Crockett, I know one of them went to OT with AD running in a 2 point conversion to win. Question is, who takes 3rd? Maybe Brownsboro? Maybe Athens? If Westwood is back to normal, that will mean they will be awful. How is Fairfield, are they returning very many players?

FF is returning around 20 players I think, but loses most its size (the little that it had). Our best hope is the new coach's son who will play QB. I'm told he was district MVP for Valley Mills last year. I think Crockett will almost coast to a district championship. Palestine didn't impress me at all this season.

3afan
02-02-2008, 06:02 PM
Well, not much discussion required about Forney because they had almost every team with-in 300 miles calling and trying to get an opponent for a homecoming game. :D :eek: :p :devil:

GOOD COMEBACK .........

BobcatBenny
02-02-2008, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
Those crazy Celina people crack me up! Trying to act all big and bad like they could play with 5A schools!
Oh Kep, I know you have lit a candle in your prayer corner and have offered up a prayer to the Almighty that a 5A team would take Celina up on this seemingly crazy offer!

This is a direct result of the karma you created in the Chat room! ;)

kepdawg
02-02-2008, 09:11 PM
Oh Kep, I know you have lit a candle in your prayer corner and have offered up a prayer to the Almighty that a 5A team would take Celina up on this seemingly crazy offer!

This is a direct result of the karma you created in the Chat room! ;)

It would be a blast if Celina got a 5A team or two on the schedule!

texasjeremy
02-04-2008, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by jimmyceatworld
FF is returning around 20 players I think, but loses most its size (the little that it had). Our best hope is the new coach's son who will play QB. I'm told he was district MVP for Valley Mills last year. I think Crockett will almost coast to a district championship. Palestine didn't impress me at all this season.

Yes, Palestine was a major disapointment last year, but were a young team and from what I hear they will return most of the team next year.

Texasfootball2
02-04-2008, 11:26 AM

Are you kidding????

FW Arlington Heights is not even in the same league as Frenship (4A semi finalist the past "3" years). Abilene Wylie has played an beaten Frenship the last two years and thumbed them soundly last year 35-7. Arlington Heights is just an average 4A team. I fully expect Celina to beat them, but don't pat yourself on the back when you do.

And ONE really good team in a region does not make the whole region tough. You can try but there is no way you can make a case for region 2 being tougher than region 1. At least based on whats happened in the last three or four years. As the season unfolds sometimes things change, but for now you are really reaching if you try to make a case.

BobcatBenny
02-04-2008, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by Texasfootball2
Are you kidding???? . . .
Yes, to a certain extent. I was just amazed that Celina could not get people to schedule them and then long time rival Pilot Point won't even sign up.

Texasfootball2
02-04-2008, 12:22 PM
Yes, to a certain extent. I was just amazed that Celina could not get people to schedule them and then long time rival Pilot Point won't even sign up.

Welcome to our world:thumbsup: Wylie is already got LH, Waco LV, and Frenship on the schedule, all are around 3 to 3+ hrs. Vernon seems like a close trip only being 150 miles. Still looking for a fifth non district game. Heck, you guys are as close as anybody else, Why not:D