PDA

View Full Version : Why Region 1 is the best (and WAY too early '08 preseason poll)

Adidas410s
02-01-2008, 11:10 AM
1. Liberty Hill (16-0) - 3A Div 1 State Champs
2. Abilene Wylie (11-3) - 3A Div 1 Semifinals
3. Brownwood (6-4) - 4A, beat 4A Seminfinalist Copperas Cove, ranked Top 10 in 4A mid-season
4. China Spring (14-2) - 3A Div 2 State Finals
5. Graham (10-2) - 3A Div 2 Bi-District Champs
6. Vernon (12-2) - 3A Div 2 Regional Finals
7. Snyder (12-3) - 3A Div 2 State Semifinals
8. Fredricksburg (7-5) - 4A Div 2 Bi-District Champs
9. Andrews (10-3) - 3A Div 1 Regional Finalist
10. Glen Rose (10-4) - 3A Div 2 Regional Finalist

Others of note:
- Sweetwater (7-5) - 3A Div 2 Bi-District Champs
- Wimberley (6-6) - 3A Div 2 Regional Semifinalist
- Burnet (5-6) - 4A Div 2 Playoff Qualifier, def gave up 18 ppg

Panther One
02-01-2008, 11:12 AM
I wouldn't overlook Wimberley, Burnet, or Fredicksburg

Adidas410s
02-01-2008, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Panther One
Yeah I can replace Sweetwater w/ Fredricksburg. Just not sold on Wimberley after last year...even though their record was indicative of their talent.

Panther One
02-01-2008, 11:25 AM
Wimberley will be much improved this season. Also, Burnet only lost to Brownwood 12-9 last year.

Adidas410s
02-01-2008, 11:26 AM
Wimberley will be much improved this season. Also, Burnet only lost to Brownwood 12-9 last year.
Yeah...they had a very good defense last year.

BobcatBenny
02-01-2008, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
3. Brownwood (6-4) - 4A, beat 4A Seminfinalist Copperas Cove, ranked Top 10 in 4A mid-season

Others of note:
Hmmm...overstated one record.

Added two 4A teams with decent records.

Certainly adding a State Champion and a State Runner-up is significant.

Region 3 picked up Gilmer and Tatum both State Runner-ups but lost LH and CS. Were Region 3's 4A pick-ups less significant than Region 1's?

Region 2 picked up an additional State Champion. 2 State Champs in Region 2. I would think 2 State Champs may trump 1?

I have not even looked at Region 4.

Got anything else in your deck?

Adidas410s
02-01-2008, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by BobcatBenny

Region 3 picked up Gilmer and Tatum both State Runner-ups but lost LH and CS. Were Region 3's 4A pick-ups less significant than Region 1's?

Region 2 picked up an additional State Champion. 2 State Champs in Region 2. I would think 2 State Champs may trump 1?

Who is the other state champ in Region 2?

BobcatBenny
02-01-2008, 11:48 AM
Who is the other state champ in Region 2?
Farmersville

Old Tiger
02-01-2008, 11:51 AM
CS won't be near as good. They lose their QB.

Panther One
02-01-2008, 11:54 AM
Farmersville
3A runner-up trumps 2A Champion, unless you want to put Farmersville on Celina's level.

Panther One
02-01-2008, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Go Blue
CS won't be near as good. They lose their QB.
Wasn't there another Bell that was just a soph this year?

Old Tiger
02-01-2008, 11:56 AM
Wasn't there another Bell that was just a soph this year? I don't know? I see them being like Robinson was last year after they lost Randy Kitchens.

BobcatBenny
02-01-2008, 12:01 PM
3A runner-up trumps 2A Champion, unless you want to put Farmersville on Celina's level.
Well they did beat Tatum who I believe may have won a 3A championship over Hutto in the not too distant past.

Are you wanting to put China Spring on Celina's level?

I'll take Farmersville.

NastySlot
02-01-2008, 12:04 PM

region II is weaker......look at districts 11, 13,and 14....and then look at the other district most have one or two schools that are going to dominate for two years

dist 9 celina and maybe argyle
dist10 Paris and maybe North Lamar
dist 11 joke Madison wins easy
dist 12 Kennedale and rest joke
dist 13...i think Farmersvilles loses a lot....others joke
dist 14 what?
dist 16 east texas dist...maybe the toughest....

this region has athletes...but don't forget what liberty hill did to a team of athletes... this region got more then one bye-week with these districts.

this region my friend got a lot weaker.........and in my opinion might be weaker then IV....
dist

Panther One
02-01-2008, 12:05 PM
Yeah, and how did Tatum fair versus Gilmer this year? And what Gilmer do against LH?

CS lost to Celina by 7, so they're not far behind you. If you're taking Farmersville over CS, then you're saying Farmersville could give you a run for your money.

Panther One
02-01-2008, 12:08 PM
I don't know? I see them being like Robinson was last year after they lost Randy Kitchens.
Brian Bell. He'll be a junior next year. I'm not going to say he'll be as good as Eskew, but the Bell lineage isn't bad.

Old Tiger
02-01-2008, 12:09 PM
Brian Bell. He'll be a junior next year. I'm not going to say he'll be as good as Eskew, but the Bell lineage isn't bad. If I remember correctly the CS sub-varsity teams were not that good. Don't quote me on that though.

Panther One
02-01-2008, 12:11 PM
If I remember correctly the CS sub-varsity teams were not that good. Don't quote me on that though.
How many sophs were on varsity. I know Bell was. They'll still have Hicks, too. Not a bad target for any QB to throw it to.

Old Tiger
02-01-2008, 12:13 PM
How many sophs were on varsity. I know Bell was. They'll still have Hicks, too. Not a bad target for any QB to throw it to. I couldn't tell ya man. But we did have a nice debate on the centex forum at TPX though ;)

jason
02-01-2008, 12:14 PM
brownwood was very average last year - their win vs copperas cove has an asterisk (*) next to it...

they will compete in their new district...no reason to think they will roll through it though...

NastySlot
02-01-2008, 12:16 PM
wimberley should be back...their schedule the last two years was brutal...I believe their sub-varsity's were pretty solid.

BobcatBenny
02-01-2008, 12:20 PM
Yeah, and how did Tatum fair versus Gilmer this year? And what Gilmer do against LH?

CS lost to Celina by 7, so they're not far behind you. If you're taking Farmersville over CS, then you're saying Farmersville could give you a run for your money.
And the previous year LH won on a last second field goal against a Defending 2A champion. :D

CS had a good team last year. We will see if they reload. 7 points and taking a knee is much different than kicking your first field goal of the season with less than 30 seconds on the clock.

Gilmer played a game plan that was either win or bust against LH. I think it was a good choice against LH's excellent team. And . . . LH was able to overcome convincingly, but probably was a bit deceiving as to how good Gilmer was. Just not as good as Liberty Hill.

Farmersville is in a population growth area with good coaching. Of course I did not check to see if their coaching staff stuck around, but why wouldn't they? I would not write a Defending State Champion off. :thinking:

Panther One
02-01-2008, 12:24 PM
I couldn't tell ya man. But we did have a nice debate on the centex forum at TPX though ;)
Looks like there's another Hicks also...will be a junior next year.

http://www.chinaspringisd.net/athletics/Football/07varsityroster.pdf

I also found this. This is some guy predicting a state title back in the spring of '06. It appears this year's junior class with Mike Hicks, etc has alwyas been a pretty stout bunch. He predicts an '09 title, but I think he means '08, since the class he's talking about will be seniors next year. It almost came a year earlier than he predicted. You've got to give this guy credit, he knew what he was talking about, and by the looks of things, I think CS will be pretty strong again next year.

http://texashsfootball.com/board/index.php?showtopic=24922

BobcatBenny
02-01-2008, 12:40 PM
Looks like there's another Hicks also...will be a junior next year.

http://www.chinaspringisd.net/athletics/Football/07varsityroster.pdf

I also found this. This is some guy predicting a state title back in the spring of '06. It appears this year's junior class with Mike Hicks, etc has alwyas been a pretty stout bunch. He predicts an '09 title, but I think he means '08, since the class he's talking about will be seniors next year. It almost came a year earlier than he predicted. You've got to give this guy credit, he knew what he was talking about, and by the looks of things, I think CS will be pretty strong again next year.

http://texashsfootball.com/board/index.php?showtopic=24922
If their offense is not as solid as last season, they will probably be sorely disappointed this next season. Their key offensive players are dismantled.

They had a stout defense, but even that looks like a drop off from this last season.

Of course there is that experience factor. We will see if they have a program.

Farmersville from what I have gleened, has developed a program in a population growth area.

ToroChingon
02-01-2008, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by NastySlot
region II is weaker......look at districts 11, 13,and 14....and then look at the other district most have one or two schools that are going to dominate for two years

dist 9 celina and maybe argyle
dist10 Paris and maybe North Lamar
dist 11 joke Madison wins easy
dist 12 Kennedale and rest joke
dist 13...i think Farmersvilles loses a lot....others joke
dist 14 what?
dist 16 east texas dist...maybe the toughest....

this region has athletes...but don't forget what liberty hill did to a team of athletes... this region got more then one bye-week with these districts.

this region my friend got a lot weaker.........and in my opinion might be weaker then IV....
dist

WOW! You have a hugely inflated opinion of yourself.
You underestimate kids, coaches and programs worse than anyone I have heard in 47 years of involvement with Texas High School Football. You call alot of fine , growing programs "JOKES" when the real joke here is YOU.

I'll bet that what you know of the "NASTYSLOT" equates to about the same amount of football knowledge as I just flushed down the school toilet. You took it as your name, which makes it that much funnier.

Pay your fee, get your ticket, wear your t-shirt, and sit in the stands, and watch us work. Don't try to gamble, because you'll loose your house, car, retirement and wife.

NastySlot
02-01-2008, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by ToroChingon
You underestimate kids, coaches and programs worse than anyone I have heard in 47 years of involvement with Texas High School Football. You call alot of fine , growing programs "JOKES" when the real joke here is YOU.

I'll bet that what you know of the "NASTYSLOT" equates to about the same amount of football knowledge as I just flushed down the school toilet. You took it as your name, which makes it that much funnier.

Pay your fee, get your ticket, wear your t-shirt, and sit in the stands, and watch us work. Don't try to gamble, because you'll loose your house, car, retirement and wife.

no you are the joke and i have no opinion on myself..........i wasn't calling out any school...coach or kid as being a joke...you see i didn't make statement and not back it with what i feel to be valid backing..............for so long i have heard how region four is a joke and that the only backing given was that it contains the valley schools........have you ever seen a valley team play...kids play hard...not saying that the teams in district i called jokes...wouldn't play hard...but you know i gave region II a little of what they have been dishing out to region IV.....and what makes you think i don't coach?......i will never get on here and bash a coach, or player by name...but anytime someone just gets on here a says this region or that region is a joke or weak....and doesn't back it is the joke.......in hindsight maybe using the word joke was the wrong choice...maybe weak should have been used..,,,,,,,,,,,,,,if my opinion offend then i apologize............and again what makes you think i don't coach........and if i do it doesn't make me any smarter at recognizing things.........and if i don't it doesn't make me an idiot...........met lots of fans that had a clue and worked with many coaches that were blow hards...

by the way your not the old superbull from the old pig site are you.

Adidas410s
02-01-2008, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by NastySlot
by the way your not the old superbull from the old pig site are you.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

;)

Stownhorse
02-01-2008, 01:22 PM
"Others of note:"

LMAO!

But I would overlook Snyder... they lost everyone.

NastySlot
02-01-2008, 01:22 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek:

;)

not calling him out....just was wondering... if he is so be it and i know of him...and will not reveal any info.

im not really the A.....(w)hole he thinks i am because of last post.

Texasfootball2
02-01-2008, 01:24 PM
Now that's a good looking bunch of boy's:rolleyes: :clap:

ToroChingon
02-01-2008, 02:36 PM

Have I ever seen Valley kids play? Um, yep. I coached in AAA in the Valley for 5 years, and 5A for 3.

What do you think ToroChingon means?:devil:

I don't think you are an A-Hole, I just don't like teams being called 'Weak' or 'Joke' because I have been on staffs that took UNRATED teams never known for winning and knocked off many a Top 10 several times over the years. Kids work hard, are led by wise coaches, and do amazing things. It can happen any given Friday.

No offense, and have a good day.

NastySlot
02-01-2008, 02:50 PM
Have I ever seen Valley kids play? Um, yep. I coached in AAA in the Valley for 5 years, and 5A for 3.

I don't think you are an A-Hole, I just don't like teams being called 'Weak' or 'Joke' because I have been on staffs that took UNRATED teams never known for winning and knocked off many a Top 10 several times over the years. Kids work hard, are led by wise coaches, and do amazing things. It can happen any given Friday.

was that 5A one of the b-ville schools and are familier w/ Cotulla?.......................................... ...if so we have never met but i know of you and you worked for a guy at those schools most coaches don't understand and like bash...but have met him and respect the job he does with the programs he's been associated with....look i may have stirred the pot a little to hard.. and i agree with your last sentence here........i just thought i would dish out a little of the hate region II and III have been giving to region IV.....and i apologize if i offended you and others...i will watch my wording next time.....i really don't want to make enemies on the site.

RMAC
02-01-2008, 02:51 PM

Your post before this started out like it would have some stubstance, but then you began crying like a 5 year old that wants candy at the store. Tell us why Region II is not down instead of calling NS ingnorant and conceited, how's that sound? Make some points and don't cry because he said something you didn't like.

watz4dinner
02-01-2008, 03:11 PM
If their offense is not as solid as last season, they will probably be sorely disappointed this next season. Their key offensive players are dismantled.

They had a stout defense, but even that looks like a drop off from this last season.

Of course there is that experience factor. We will see if they have a program.

Farmersville from what I have gleened, has developed a program in a population growth area.

Returning 9 of 11 on defense (will be very tough)
Returning 4 of 11 on offense

QB will be missed (soph B Bell will take over)
WR always re-load each year (Higdon Hon-ment. All State did not play but 2 games his junior year...look what he did)
Still return two of the four receivers.

RB will be more lethal (Matt Hicks--Little brother of Mike Hicks)

I look for CS to be a contender this year. Only time will tell!!!!

ToroChingon
02-01-2008, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by RMAC
Your post before this started out like it would have some stubstance, but then you began crying like a 5 year old that wants candy at the store. Tell us why Region II is not down instead of calling NS ingnorant and conceited, how's that sound? Make some points and don't cry because he said something you didn't like.

WOW! Dumbo, and a pinata on your Sig, and you call someone else acting 'like a 5 year old.' LOL!

What a PUTZ.

LATER.

cshscougar08
02-01-2008, 03:30 PM
Well they did beat Tatum who I believe may have won a 3A championship over Hutto in the not too distant past.

Are you wanting to put China Spring on Celina's level?

I'll take Farmersville.

I'll be happy to put us on your level. We lost to you by seven on a tipped pass interception. If you say that Farmersville is as good as we were this past year, I would have to STRONGLY disagree.

DaHop72
02-01-2008, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Stownhorse
"Others of note:"

LMAO!

But I would overlook Snyder... they lost everyone. http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/377/hystericalmn4.gif (http://imageshack.us)http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/377/hystericalmn4.gif (http://imageshack.us)http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/377/hystericalmn4.gif (http://imageshack.us)http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/377/hystericalmn4.gif (http://imageshack.us)
Man, just when I think you have things figured out you come up with this. Has 09 stolen your password??

:devil: :devil:

Stangs325
02-01-2008, 07:06 PM

Others of note:

#7 makes me laugh

trojan37
02-01-2008, 08:17 PM
#10 makes me laugh. China has kicked their tails for 2 years, and now their in the same district. I'm sorry folks, but Glen Rose, is not as good as people think. Go ahead and say it, " they beat ya'll didn't they?" I'm sorry, GR will do nothing this year. They will be one of the top 10 teams to get their butts kicked in the playoffs, if they go.

cshscougar08
02-01-2008, 10:50 PM
I agree. Glen Rose is one of the more overrated teams in the area, if not the state. Sure they always win their district, but it's cause their district has SUCKED and they have had a couple good non-district games like playing CS. Now that we are in the same district, we will continue to kick butt, but this time it will count as a district win. That's a very nice thing indeed.

IHStangFan
02-01-2008, 10:56 PM
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Navasota will make some noise this coming year. They will only be better the next couple of years.

HEMOTOXIC
02-02-2008, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Navasota will make some noise this coming year. They will only be better the next couple of years.

I 2nd that!

Go Snakes!

jimmyceatworld
02-02-2008, 04:14 PM
What's up with region I jacking LH and CS? China Spring won't be as good but losing lose teams takes some fire power away from reg. III