PDA

View Full Version : Baseball season around the corner

BrahmaMom
01-31-2008, 03:52 PM
Does anyone know when Bellville's first scrimmage is scheduled? I am sure it is with Katy Taylor. The Brahmas are reported to have over 70 players reporting for their three teams. I guess I will have to report back to 3ADL more often.

Reds fan
01-31-2008, 04:37 PM
Bellville scrimmages Katy Taylor Feb 4 @ Bellville 4 pm and
Feb 8 @ Waller 4:30 pm...

Should be a great year for the Bulls! Good luck.

trojan37
01-31-2008, 07:46 PM
I found our schedule. Got a couple 4A foes on there, and a tough China Spring team twice.

West High Baseball schedule (http://www.westisd.net/forms/AthleticsHS/08VarsityBaseballSchedule.pdf)

Snydertigersrul
01-31-2008, 07:50 PM
I'm glad that we scheduled some 4A schools so we can get good competition before the playoffs. But Andrews in district play will be a tough team for the Tigers, who could return to the state tournament.

Daddy D 11
01-31-2008, 09:16 PM
return to the state tournament?

j_dog
01-31-2008, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
return to the state tournament?
not from last year. ;)

Daddy D 11
01-31-2008, 09:27 PM
bout to say, i was thinking " i was there and dont remember snyder being there" :thinking:

but then again, its a snyder folk..what do you expect;) :D

trojan37
02-01-2008, 01:58 AM
West played in a tournament in Snyder a couple of years in a row back in the mid 90's I believe. Do they still have that tournament? I wish they would go back out there and play again.

trojan37
02-01-2008, 02:20 AM
I know it's not high school, but former West standout Scott Podsednik could be back in the bigs if he can stay healthy. Wish him luck.:D

Scotty Pods (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/jan/30/rockies-finalizing-minor-league-deal-speedster-pod/)

Snydertigersrul
02-01-2008, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by trojan37
West played in a tournament in Snyder a couple of years in a row back in the mid 90's I believe. Do they still have that tournament? I wish they would go back out there and play again.

They still hold that tournament, the Best of the West.

BrahmaMom
02-01-2008, 09:51 AM
Feb 4 IN Bellville, I don't remember that happening in my history with the Brahmas--sounds good tho', thanks. Should be a fun year--GO BULLS!

Bull19
02-04-2008, 07:00 PM
bellville should be interesting this year. have pitching coming back, but questions regarding the middle infield and outfield. should be interesting how coach c. handles it.

VWG
02-04-2008, 09:28 PM
70 or more kids out for 3A baseball?
What is the true number on that?
Do they cut players, or everybody makes a team?

cshscougar08
02-04-2008, 09:37 PM
CS scrimmaged West tonight. A lot of talk about West having a lot of returning talent. Didn't show it tonight. I wasn't impressed at all. Now we looked pretty good, so expectations are high for the season.

tigerpride_08
02-04-2008, 09:49 PM
we're heading to Galveston Saturday to play Gaveston O Connell...

BrahmaMom
02-04-2008, 10:10 PM
70 or more kids out for baseball, three teams, I don't know how the coach will handle that. more than I ever remember.

GWOOD
02-04-2008, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by cshscougar08
CS scrimmaged West tonight. A lot of talk about West having a lot of returning talent. Didn't show it tonight. I wasn't impressed at all. Now we looked pretty good, so expectations are high for the season.

Congratulations. I know you guys do have some returners back and it will be interesting to see how you guys do.

However, I have not seen one thing that says West had a lot returning talent. I think they have some starters back from a .500 team.

Bulligator
02-05-2008, 09:13 AM
Bellville only had a varsity and JV last year, and had to cut over 30 kids. This year they have added a "sophomore team". I didn't make it to the scrimmage between the Cerny brothers teams last night. Any update from someone who did?

c-town_balla
02-05-2008, 09:15 AM
Cameron scrimmaged Fairfield and Robinson

Beat Fairfield....lost to Robinson
We only played 20 pitch innings tho so it was difficult to get things going

pirate4state
02-05-2008, 10:48 AM
wow yall getting an early jump on scrimmages.

sinton doesn't have their 1st scrimmage until next week.

PurplePride2006
02-05-2008, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Snydertigersrul
They still hold that tournament, the Best of the West.

Great tournament, we went there my senior year and had a blast. Played Snyder back when they had the really good catcher, Martinez i think was his name. Ended up tying due to time limit rules, and won because we had more runners to third.

Brahma84
02-05-2008, 07:00 PM
Went to the scrimmage on Monday. Hard to tell from the game how the season will shake out. Pitchers threw only 2 innings each. Top three (Tallerine, Mueller and Huebner) looked ok. Starters only played about 5 of the 13 innings. Put the bat on the ball, not many strike outs. Defense was not too bad. Luetge is the only returning Sr. starter.
As for the 70 kids out for baseball, lots of those are Freshman who also signed up for other Spring sports. Some of them will realize that they cannot play everything like the did in Jr. High. The numbers will drop. We do however have a large group of Jr.'s out.

Reds fan
02-05-2008, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by Brahma84
Went to the scrimmage on Monday. Hard to tell from the game how the season will shake out. Pitchers threw only 2 innings each. Top three (Tallerine, Mueller and Huebner) looked ok. Starters only played about 5 of the 13 innings. Put the bat on the ball, not many strike outs. Defense was not too bad. Luetge is the only returning Sr. starter.
As for the 70 kids out for baseball, lots of those are Freshman who also signed up for other Spring sports. Some of them will realize that they cannot play everything like the did in Jr. High. The numbers will drop. We do however have a large group of Jr.'s out.

Thanks for the report....Is Luetge going to be able to pitch this year? Had arm problems I believe last year.

Bull19
02-05-2008, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by Reds fan
Thanks for the report....Is Luetge going to be able to pitch this year? Had arm problems I believe last year.

very very unlikely. i'd say 99% he won't.

cshscougar08
02-05-2008, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by c-town_balla

How did Robinson look?

c-town_balla
02-05-2008, 10:06 PM
a few hitters
a soph. lefty with a dirty curve
a couple of our players estimated him in the mid-80s as well
they will be good

GWOOD
02-05-2008, 10:47 PM

Who pitched for you guys?

c-town_balla
02-06-2008, 09:39 AM
the whole team....every pitcher had a 20 pitch limit except for the guy from Robison for some reason
I thought we pitched well considering our ace is still coming back from a broken hand

buff4life
02-06-2008, 01:34 PM
the whole team....every pitcher had a 20 pitch limit except for the guy from Robison for some reason
I thought we pitched well considering our ace is still coming back from a broken hand

who jake?

BrahmaMom
02-06-2008, 07:48 PM
I didn't make it to the Cerny duel. It is always tough to evaluate b/c of the rotation Bellville plays in scrimmages. There are a lot of freshmen out-Coach C encouraged them. I think you'll be surprised at how many freshmen stick w/ multiple sports in that group--you have some solid athletes there. I guess we'll see. Glad to hear the varsity has pitching depth. GO BRAHMAS!!

HawkEye
02-06-2008, 09:04 PM
Caldwell played well against the Manor Mustangs. Pitchers threw strikes and ball was put in play all night. Two Hornets left the yard. 10+ runs were scored. Expect great things from Kolache Country this spring. 13 seniors on a mission.

buff4life
02-06-2008, 10:14 PM
Heard that in football too...

better clean up the talent from last year

but on the flip side...manor has few if any bright spots nothing to base a season on...2nd was the scrimmage in manor or in caldwell?

Bull19
02-06-2008, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by buff4life

DITTO THAT

HawkEye
02-06-2008, 10:28 PM

better clean up the talent from last year

but on the flip side...manor has few if any bright spots nothing to base a season on...2nd was the scrimmage in manor or in caldwell?

Scrimmage was in Caldwell. Manor was a strong member of the old 19-3A in baseball (under Jim Brock). They took Brenham to 3 games in bi-district last year. They had some kids who could play. Caldwell flat outplayed them. Scrimmage are basically glorified practices, so take this how you want it.

Save the talk till the first district game. This goes for the Bellville folks also.

Texas High School Baseball magazines district picks:
1. Bellville
2. Caldwell
3. LaGrange

It's all about the pitching. Bellville and Caldwell have it, and the others in 23-3A don't.

Bull19
02-06-2008, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by HawkEye

Save the talk till the first district game.

It's all about the pitching. Bellville and Caldwell have it, and the others in 23-3A don't.

listen here rook. dont tell people to save it esp when you make this comment.

buff4life
02-06-2008, 11:01 PM
Scrimmage was in Caldwell. Manor was a strong member of the old 19-3A in baseball (under Jim Brock). They took Brenham to 3 games in bi-district last year. They had some kids who could play. Caldwell flat outplayed them. Scrimmage are basically glorified practices, so take this how you want it.

Save the talk till the first district game. This goes for the Bellville folks also.

Texas High School Baseball magazines district picks:
1. Bellville
2. Caldwell
3. LaGrange

I don't know what Manor team you're talking about...maybe from YOUR glory days but not recently they were horrible last year, IF and i mean if they took brenham to 3 games it was a fluke...

and we'll see what the pitching for Caldwell does

Hang Ten
02-06-2008, 11:14 PM
Caldwell played well against the Manor Mustangs. Pitchers threw strikes and ball was put in play all night. Two Hornets left the yard. 10+ runs were scored. Expect great things from Kolache Country this spring. 13 seniors on a mission.

Seems like I saw alot of walks by Hornet pitchers. ALOT. But it was a scrimmage, and the format was to get pitchers some work. Plus the wind was blowing out at least 25mph.

Hang Ten
02-06-2008, 11:20 PM
I don't know what Manor team you're talking about...maybe from YOUR glory days but not recently they were horrible last year, IF and i mean if they took brenham to 3 games it was a fluke...

and we'll see what the pitching for Caldwell does

Manor won last year with an interim coach who was not qualified to coach a little league team. He was passed over. Thank God! Caldwell's pitchers walked a bunch of guys in the scimmage and it was a controlled scrimmage with pitch counts and clearing of bases. They have some talent, no doubt. But hawkeye's post was skewed. Also, Manor beat Brenham in Brenham 4 to1. Lost 2nd game 2 to 0. No gas for game 3. We were lost better at end of season.

HippoBaseball05
02-07-2008, 01:20 AM
We get to play in the Caldwell tourney again this year to defend our championship. With the exception of kids vandalizing our bus a couple of years ago we enjoy the trip out there. We also get to go to Manor and the LaGrange tourneys again. We will be defending our tourney championship at La Grange as well this year.

We don't host a tourney this year for the first time in quite a while.

Bull19
02-07-2008, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by HippoBaseball05
We get to play in the Caldwell tourney again this year to defend our championship. With the exception of kids vandalizing our bus a couple of years ago we enjoy the trip out there. We also get to go to Manor and the LaGrange tourneys again. We will be defending our tourney championship at La Grange as well this year.

did yall lose any of yalls pitcher from last year? i know jeremy k. , anyone else?

HawkEye
02-07-2008, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by HippoBaseball05

The two thugs that busted out the bus lights don't represent the hard working athletes at Caldwell HS. Glad you guys are coming back to the Hornet Invitational.

The first two pitchers that threw for Caldwell struggled in their first innings. The rest of the staff thew a lot of strikes, and there weren't many Mustangs on base.