PDA

View Full Version : trade your organs for a drivers license?

jason
01-31-2008, 09:44 AM
Vermont Bill to Trade Driver’s License Fee for Organs

Written By: Dustin P. Walsh

A bill is making its way through Vermont legislature to free motorists from the $40 license renewal fee for life – that is, if they agree to donate their organs in death.

According to the Burlington Free Press, Vermont drivers must renew their license every four years. So, say you signed up for the program when you renewed your license at 32-years old and lived to the ripe age of 76 – you’d save $480. This is a small price for your internal organs, but gifting them is a remarkable, decent thing to do anyway–regardless of kickbacks.

The paper noted that there were 530,000 valid driver’s licenses in the state as of 2006. So, there are a lot of available organs – in Vermont alone – to help the nearly 1 million people on transplant waiting lists in the U.S.

Would you be willing to donate your organs – if you’re not already signed up to donate – for a license fee free life?

LINK (http://news.windingroad.com/etc/vermont-bill-to-trade-drivers-license-fee-for-organs/)

Ranger Mom
01-31-2008, 09:47 AM
I never understood the problem people have with donating their organs anyway!!

When I am gone, they can have any and every usable part!!

footballgal
01-31-2008, 10:05 AM
I said yes when they asked the question, I am trying to remember if it's noted on the DL itself, or if they have it in the data base only. :thinking: I will have to look.

CHS_CG
01-31-2008, 10:19 AM
I wouldnt have a problem with it at all.

LH Panther Mom
01-31-2008, 10:38 AM
I'm going to have to donate an arm and a leg tomorrow, since I'll have more car insurance for another "male youthful driver". Do they count as organs?

crzyjournalist03
01-31-2008, 10:40 AM
what if I happen to know where some old church organs are?

footballgal
01-31-2008, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I'm going to have to donate an arm and a leg tomorrow, since I'll have more car insurance for another "male youthful driver". Do they count as organs? :D good luck with that, it will be painful.

sahen
01-31-2008, 12:21 PM
there is a whole can of ethical issues with paying people for their organs that they will open with this one....im a donor but you cant pay people for organs like that, my guess is it wont pass (or if it does the courts will strike it down when/if challenged) even though its a well-intended bill....

BobcatBenny
01-31-2008, 02:14 PM
I keeping what I have, but doesn't matter. I haven't any guts.

I am a gutless wonder! :D

pirate4state
01-31-2008, 02:34 PM
At one time it was on our DL, but now it isn't. :thinking:

I just noticed there is a little box for "directive to physician has been filed at tel #". LOL

Ranger Mom
01-31-2008, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
At one time it was on our DL, but now it isn't. :thinking:

I just noticed there is a little box for "directive to physician has been filed at tel #". LOL

LOL!! When I first read that I was thinking "DL" as in "downlow"....I had not realized our registration included organ donations now!!:D

pirate4state
01-31-2008, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
LOL!! When I first read that I was thinking "DL" as in "downlow"....I had not realized our registration included organ donations now!!:D :doh: :doh: :D :D

footballgal
01-31-2008, 03:24 PM
I guess that's kept in file, because I didn't find a donor box; I know it was there a few DLs ago. I have almost all of my DLs, I will go back and check. (yes, I like to keep them to see how much change there is every 4 years.) :)

footballgal
01-31-2008, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by sahen
there is a whole can of ethical issues with paying people for their organs that they will open with this one....im a donor but you cant pay people for organs like that, my guess is it wont pass (or if it does the courts will strike it down when/if challenged) even though its a well-intended bill.... You are not suppose to be paid for donating organs, but sadly it goes on far too often. Have you seen some of the things reported in the news about people getting paid huge amounts of money for organs, or organs being taken out without consent? Sad situation indeed.