PDA

View Full Version : ROOSEVELT might be in HUGE Trouble (From Ch.8)

JR2004
01-31-2008, 12:57 AM
Brett Shipp strikes again.

http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dws/wfaa/latestnews/stories/wfaa080130_mo_teacherrevolt.74dc8d3b.html

By BRETT SHIPP / WFAA-TV

WFAA-TV DALLAS - A teacher revolt at a Dallas High School has reached a fever pitch, and the fallout could get messy.

Teachers at Roosevelt High School are providing News 8 with evidence that they said shows failing students are being awarded passing grades.

The uproar began last October when the new school principal issued an edict instructing teachers to give students grades they didn't deserve.

One notable case involved one of Roosevelt's star football players, whose grade was evidently changed in the wake of the principal's new grading policy.

Roosevelt's football team made it to the playoffs this year with the help of several talented players. But the eligibility of at least one of those players is in question following revelations from some high school teachers who say they were instructed to change grades of failing students as part of a policy implemented last December by first-year principal Myrtle Jean Dixon.

"We have agreed to provide students a grade of 65 as the lowest grade for a grading period," read one edict allegedly made by Dixon.

One apparent example provided to News 8 was a grade change form for one of the football team's star players in which his failing six-weeks grade of 60 was changed to a passing grade of 70. Principal Dixon authorized the change.

However, Melinda Johnson, an English teacher at the school, said that is nothing new. She said she has been approached and asked to change a failing athlete's grades by four coaches and the vice principal.

"... I refused and I said, 'Nope,' and, 'I'm not going to change the grade,'" she said.

Johnson said she has been repeatedly harassed for standing up to the principal and her administration. In fact, she said it got so bad this week, she quit.

"But, I told those administrators at the building yesterday, 'You will see me on the media because there are things going on at this building that are illegal and unethical,'" she said.

But Johnson is not the only one who has come forward.

Thirty-five teachers and school employees have signed a petition questioning what they called intolerable conditions at the school, and unprofessional treatment by Principal Dixon.

Teachers Union representative Jeff Sherels said teachers have been begging district officials to investigate.

"Teachers are frustrated," Sherels said. "Teachers have forwarded complaints and concerns to various individuals in administration and nothing has been done."

Principal Dixon did not respond to News 8 calls.

"The district is aware of the issues raised by this group of teachers at Roosevelt and is continuing to work to address them," said DISD spokesman Jon Dahlander in a statement.

The grade-changing issue at Roosevelt is expected to come to a head at DISD's board meeting Thursday. Teachers said they will demand action until the grade-changing policy is reversed.

E-mail bshipp@wfaa.com

JR2004
01-31-2008, 01:00 AM
This could get really ugly. I saw the report on TV about an hour ago. This one might wind up costing a good chunk of Velt's administration their jobs and careers if this proves to be true.

Not shocked that this could happen at Velt though. The principal at Roosevelt was at one time next in line to be the principal at Madison. Ms. Willard, who is still the principal there, got the job instead. Thank the Good Lord for that.

3afan
01-31-2008, 07:19 AM
from DMN:

Former Roosevelt high teacher says she was pressured to change athlete's grade

DISD: She says she quit after refusing to change grade of student-athlete

01:51 AM CST on Thursday, January 31, 2008

By KEITH WHITMIRE / The Dallas Morning News
kwhitmire@dallasnews.com

A former Roosevelt High School teacher says she was pressured by coaches and an administrator to change a student's grade so he would be eligible to compete in football.

The former teacher, Melinda Johnson, who taught English and Spanish at Roosevelt before resigning this week, said Wednesday that she refused to change the grade but that it was common for teachers to be pressured to keep athletes eligible.

Ms. Johnson said she was approached in November by assistant principal Seaborn Phillips and four coaches, including football coach Joseph Daniels, about changing the player's grade so he would be eligible for the playoffs.

"They tried to put the squeeze on me," Ms. Johnson said. "I've been teaching for a long time, and I don't change grades for kids."

Under the state's "no-pass, no-play" law, athletes are required to have passing grades in all their courses to be eligible for competition.

The player "had to sit," Ms. Johnson said. "But there have been grades changed before by other teachers."

Mr. Daniels denied talking to her about changing a player's grade.

"That's absolutely fabricated," he said. "We don't have to change grades. Change grades for what?"

Mr. Daniels said Ms. Johnson was disgruntled and had been having problems at Roosevelt.

A message left for Roosevelt principal Myrtle Jean Dixon was not returned Wednesday night. Mr. Phillips declined to comment.

Ms. Johnson said she resigned from her job Tuesday after being harassed by administrators since refusing to change the player's grade. She said other teachers had bowed to pressure to change grades.

"Oh, [it was] very common," Ms. Johnson said. "And if you're a new teacher and you want to keep your job and get a good eval, they will put pressure on you."

Ms. Johnson said a copy of a grade-correction form obtained by The Dallas Morning News was another example of a teacher being pressured to change grades. The form, completed for a different Roosevelt player than the one Ms. Johnson says she was approached about, shows a grade changed from a 60 to a passing grade of 70. The reason given for the change was "enter[ed] wrong grade."

The president of a teachers union recently told DISD trustees about grade-changing allegations at Roosevelt, among other problems. The accusations are expected to be addressed at this evening's board meeting.

"The district is aware of the issues raised by this group of teachers at Roosevelt and is continuing to work to address them," said Jon Dahlander, a spokesman for the Dallas Independent School District. "If teachers have those allegations, I would strongly urge them to contact the district's Office of Professional Responsibility."

Earlier this month, the South Oak Cliff High School boys basketball team was told it would have to forfeit its state championship from the 2005-06 season after a DISD internal investigation concluded that a team member should have been academically ineligible. The district's Office of Professional Responsibility determined that a failing grade in an English class had been changed from a 50 to a 73.

BullFrog Dad
01-31-2008, 07:59 AM
Roosevelt is the same one that started a post game fight with Gilmer after losing to them in the playoffs. Madison has been a pretty good fit in our district the last two years but I hope 'Velt goes to another district Friday.

boudreaux
01-31-2008, 08:34 AM
"The uproar began last October when the new school principal issued an edict instructing teachers to give students grades they didn't deserve."

Dumb. Just give them a gun and bullets to shoot you with. Its amazing that people with a degree can possibily do. You would have to get your degree out of a gumball machune to be this stupid if true.

kaorder1999
01-31-2008, 10:44 AM
uh oh!

kaorder1999
01-31-2008, 11:08 AM
Its not good that Daniels name is brought up in this. Ouch!

Adidas410s
01-31-2008, 11:21 AM
Society has failed the students at Dallas Roosevelt :(

Phil C
01-31-2008, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Society has failed the students at Dallas Roosevelt :(

Alas! Surely there will be more happier days than this. :(

crzyjournalist03
01-31-2008, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
Alas! Surely there will be more happier days than this. :(

at least one of our own is there to help right the ship!

JR2004
01-31-2008, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by BullFrog Dad
Madison has been a pretty good fit in our district the last two years but I hope 'Velt goes to another district Friday.

I believe that several of our coaches would like y'all in the district with us again for the next two years. Y'all were the only one of the 3 schools on the Ft. Worth side of the district that they looked forward to playing against. Castleberry and Diamond-Hill did nothing to help us, or anyone else in the district for that matter, get better.

I wouldn't mind not seeing us in a new district that doesn't include Velt as well, but unfortunately that's not possible.

kaorder1999
01-31-2008, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
I believe that several of our coaches would like y'all in the district with us again for the next two years. Y'all were the only one of the 3 schools on the Ft. Worth side of the district that they looked forward to playing against. Castleberry and Diamond-Hill did nothing to help us, or anyone else in the district for that matter, get better.

I wouldn't mind not seeing us in a new district that doesn't include Velt as well, but unfortunately that's not possible.

you never know....13-3A might lose Eustace to 2A so one of the DISD teams could go East and the other West....:D

JR2004
01-31-2008, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
you never know....13-3A might lose Eustace to 2A so one of the DISD teams could go East and the other West....:D

Honestly I'd like us to move back to that district. Too bad we wouldn't be able to take Lake Worth with if the UIL sent us back there. Games against Crandall in football and basketball were really good for a couple of years.

Send Roosevelt to Oklahoma for all I care. I'm just tired of them.