PDA

View Full Version : stocks

DU_stud04
01-30-2008, 02:39 PM
who all plays the stock markets? what stock do you have? which company do you use?

JasperDog94
01-30-2008, 02:41 PM
I go with mutual funds because I don't have the time to pick individual stocks on my own. I use Edward Jones to manage my funds.

Gobbla2001
01-30-2008, 06:57 PM
through my company... I'm going to start playing with it a bit...

3afan
01-30-2008, 07:12 PM
Edward Jones & Fidelity - mutual funds mostly

Gobbla2001
01-30-2008, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by 3afan

mine's through Merrill Lynch

Gobbla2001
01-30-2008, 07:45 PM
I profited $122.65 this month... big-ballin'... or not

Gobbla2001
01-30-2008, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
I profited $122.65 this month... big-ballin'... or not

oops.... $136.65... short-changing myself...

big daddy russ
01-30-2008, 07:57 PM
Mutual funds through Merril Lynch. I don't touch them. I just let them manage it themselves.

nobogey72
01-30-2008, 08:12 PM
Me and Black Magic both own a butt load of Exxon/Mobil. FYI, Black Magic is talking down Exxon/Mobil on the global warming thread and it's a trick. He is trying to create negative pub. about E/M and when it starts to go down, he is not only going to dump all his stock, but is then going to sell it short, and ride it all the way down.:D :D :D

BTW, we both use EF Hutton. They are telling us to..................

can't tell ya. Sorry!:cool:

crabman
01-30-2008, 09:29 PM
I use a straight fee guy from Victoria. No loads on any mutual funds and he charges a percentage of your portfolio for all stocks. He manages about $200 million in assets so he knows what he is doing. He is a big Warren Buffet advocate. Buy quality simple companies and hold them forever. Ebay, Dell, Wells Fargo, Ingersoll Rand, Penn West Railway, Bank of America, United States Gypsum, McGraw Hill Publishing, Office Depot. Lots of things you have heard of and buy every day. US Gypsum has taken a beating in the past 6 months. My guy said he had two question for me. Are they making money? Yes. Will they still be making sheetrock in 10 years. Yes. Don't worry about it. Simple company with a simple product.

DU_stud04
01-30-2008, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by crabman
I use a straight fee guy from Victoria. No loads on any mutual funds and he charges a percentage of your portfolio for all stocks. He manages about $200 million in assets so he knows what he is doing. He is a big Warren Buffet advocate. Buy quality simple companies and hold them forever. Ebay, Dell, Wells Fargo, Ingersoll Rand, Penn West Railway, Bank of America, United States Gypsum, McGraw Hill Publishing, Office Depot. Lots of things you have heard of and buy every day. US Gypsum has taken a beating in the past 6 months. My guy said he had two question for me. Are they making money? Yes. Will they still be making sheetrock in 10 years. Yes. Don't worry about it. Simple company with a simple product. usg usually is down around this time and once spring comes around and start of summer(peak time for usg) youll see it jump back up from 34(i think thats what it is right now) to around 54$. thats a nice jump if youre looking to make a safe few hundred dollars(depends on how much you're playing with).

my roommate just started with scottrade....i told him i would be the first to laugh at him when he loses everything :D

coach
01-30-2008, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by 3afan

good choice my dad works for edward jones and mutual funds is the way to go

jason
01-30-2008, 10:20 PM
i have all my savings invested in 3 stocks

zoltek
century petroleum
us energy

ASUFrisbeeStud
01-30-2008, 11:14 PM
Well I just got a job with New York Life, so I will be going with some of the mutual funds they have. My future father in law buys gold and only gold. He says it's going to make him millions with the dollar crashes, he's probably right.

c-town_balla
01-30-2008, 11:17 PM
I've been doing stocks since I was about 14....I made about $900 on Krispy Kreme donuts....then it crashed the day after I sold it...
I bought Apple at about $54 and sold it yesterday for $130 should have sold it a month ago at $200....Im looking at EMC right know but idk...

crabman
01-31-2008, 10:57 PM
Read "The Warren Buffet Way". You are supposed to buy stock like you only get three purchases in your entire life. Three shots at getting it right is all you get.

Right now NutriSystem kind of has me intrigued. I can't quite figure out why it is trading where it is. Symbol NTRI.

Will it still be around in 10 years? I don't know.

Blastoderm55
02-01-2008, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by crabman
Read "The Warren Buffet Way". You are supposed to buy stock like you only get three purchases in your entire life. Three shots at getting it right is all you get.

Right now NutriSystem kind of has me intrigued. I can't quite figure out why it is trading where it is. Symbol NTRI.

Will it still be around in 10 years? I don't know.

They've become a lot more aggressive in how they market the product to men by bringing in lots of celebrity spokesmen. The possibilities that brings are attractive to traders.