PDA

View Full Version : Mangino hospitalized

westtxfballfan
01-29-2008, 03:14 PM
Mangino hospitalized, but insists 'I'm fine'
Associated Press
Updated: January 29, 2008, 1:31 PM EST

LAWRENCE, Kan. (AP) - Kansas coach Mark Mangino was expected to be released from a Lawrence hospital and return to work on Tuesday after undergoing tests.

Jim Marchiony, Kansas' associate athletic director, told The Associated Press he did not think the situation was a medical emergency for Mangino, who led the Jayhawks to a school-record 12-1 mark and an Orange Bowl victory over Virginia Tech. The 51-year-old was selected as the national coach of the year.

Close friends and family members have been concerned for years that Mangino's weight might one day pose a health concern. He is substantially overweight, and Kansas athletic director Lew Perkins has talked with him about considering gastric bypass surgery similar to what Perkins underwent in 2002.

"I underwent some tests over the past couple of days at Lawrence Memorial Hospital," he said in a statement released by the school on Monday night. "These are tests that I had put off until after the season. The tests have been completed, I'm fine and I'll be back in the office and recruiting starting (Tuesday)."

Marchiony said he did not believe Mangino's condition was in any way alarming.

"I know he plans to come back to work tomorrow," he said on Monday.