PDA

View Full Version : Deal or no deal?

LH Panther Mom
01-29-2008, 02:58 PM
Dell Optiplex GX620 Ultra Small Form Factor
Intel Pentium 4 650/3.4 GHz w/ Hyper Threading (WTH????)
1 GB RAM
80 GB hard drive
8x DVD +/RW media drive

CPU/Monitor combo - $331.24 (includes tax)

I'm sure I'll get lots of "Dell sucks" comments, but that's okay too. Is this a good price?

crzyjournalist03
01-29-2008, 03:00 PM
I didn't think that Pentiums were in use anymore...but then again, I'm not a techy...

jason
01-29-2008, 03:04 PM
we have some gx 620's on campus - mostly in my classrooms and in one of my labs - they are decent machines, they will run basic programs, like office, adobe, etc - not good for large video editing

thats a pretty good price, especially if it includes the monitor

i think our 620's are about 2 years old - the processor, probably the ram, and hard drive technology is old...

one thing with the small form factor, they have to sit on your desk a certain way, so that the heat can rise, and then the 1 (one) fan can blow it out, to prevent hardware failure...

dell makes fine computers. they use the same parts (intel, western digital, samsung, seagate) that all the other manufacturers use - people complain about the customer service, but they forget about having the chance to upgrade their warranty when they bought the computer - if you have just the plain warranty, and not an upper level (bronze, silver, gold) then yeah, the support sucks - but we have gold warranties on everything on campus, and we have a number that goes directly to a good english speaking man every time we call, and for as many dell's as we have (thousands), we dont have to call that often...

Deal or No Deal ???

I say, Good Deal....:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

LH Panther Mom
01-29-2008, 03:19 PM
I've had it since May, '06 & haven't had any problems with it. Hubby has 2 HP's for video editing; this would be more of an "extra" until the next one heads off to college. Since it's currently leased, I doubt the gold warranty is an option. Thanks for the info! :)