PDA

View Full Version : Destinations in Mexico

mistanice
01-28-2008, 12:37 PM
Has anyone ever been to the top destinations in mexico, and if so what did you think. I'm planning on going in August, but having a hard time selecting a place. Going with a group of friends. Any info. will help, thnks

crzyjournalist03
01-28-2008, 12:46 PM
Phil C recommends bull fighting!

kaorder1999
01-28-2008, 12:48 PM
Cruised to Cozumel and Playa Del Carmen...both wonderful places. Id look into an all inclusive to Playa. Affordable and nice!

TarponFanInNorthTexas
01-28-2008, 12:49 PM
I hear Brownsville is pretty nice..... oh....wait.... OH SNAP! :p

mistanice
01-28-2008, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
Cruised to Cozumel and Playa Del Carmen...both wonderful places. Id look into an all inclusive to Playa. Affordable and nice!

Cozumel is at the top of the list, along with Cabo

3afan
01-28-2008, 12:57 PM
I went to an all inclusive, all adult resort in Cancun in '05 - was great. cant remember what it was called!

Snyder_TigerFan
We went to Cancun back in July and had a blast. We stayed at the Barcelo Tucancun (http://cancun-hotels.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g150807-d154419-Reviews-Barcelo_Tucancun_Beach-Cancun_Yucatan_Peninsula.html) and would stay there again if we made another trip. The facility was nice and the price wasn't bad (compared to others). It is an all inclusive hotel and they are located right on the beach, food was good, 3 pools (1 party pool) and 3 outside bars. Entertainment show every night, and offer a party bus to which you would pay $40 dollars, ride a bus to a local bar (Daddy O's, Senor Frogs, etc) and get VIP entrance and free drinks.

I haven't been anywhere else in Mexico, so I couldn't recommend Cancun over anywhere else, but we had a lot of fun.

kaorder1999
I liked Cozumel....didnt get to spend a lot of time there cause it wsa a cruise but like it.

boudreaux
Cancun is fun if you're young. Way too humid for me. I just about died. Ixtapa is a nice place, also. It's on the Pacific.

kaorder1999
01-28-2008, 12:58 PM
I know it isnt Mexico but went to the Bahamas and stayed at an all-adult all inclusive Sandals resort and it was UNBELIEVABLE!

Adidas410s
01-28-2008, 01:00 PM
I've heard that about the Sandals Bahamas location as well. However...I've also been reading that the place is really run down and in need of renovations. Have a friend that was there last month that didn't notice anything...but reviews on TripAdvisor indicate otherwise.

kaorder1999
01-28-2008, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
I've heard that about the Sandals Bahamas location as well. However...I've also been reading that the place is really run down and in need of renovations. Have a friend that was there last month that didn't notice anything...but reviews on TripAdvisor indicate otherwise.

I thought it was amazing. Still have pics of it somewhere. There are two Sandals there I believe...one is Adults only and the other one allows kids to be there. Cant remember for sure. I really liked the one we were at.

SWMustang
01-28-2008, 01:50 PM
I've stayed in Playa Del Carmen (acually a little further down the coast in Playacar) at the Riu Palace. It was Very Nice. Also stayed in the city of Playa Del Carmen at the only big Hotel all inclusive but I can't remember the name. It was not as nice as the Riu Palace, but you could walk down to 5th avenue. They have a sister property across the street and the beach was nicer on that side. Dang, what was the name of that place?

pirate4state
01-28-2008, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
I thought it was amazing. Still have pics of it somewhere. There are two Sandals there I believe...one is Adults only and the other one allows kids to be there. Cant remember for sure. I really liked the one we were at. That would be Beaches. A true Sandals resort does not allow children, period. That's why they have the Beaches Resorts that are under the Sandals umbrella.

As far as Mexico goes. I've only been to Cancun. When going to a resort destination in Mexico, the only way to go is All-inclusive. Just about every resort in Cancun & Cozumel are all-inclusive so it's just a matter of picking the one that best meets your activity needs.

Good Luck and the best advice I can offer is call a travel agent! :)

shankbear
01-28-2008, 01:59 PM
Love Cancun and Cozumel. Took an excursion to the pyramid at Chichen Itza. That is so freeeeeeakin cool. Climb that bad boy. Walk in the ball court. Check out the observatory. All excellent. The wife swam with dolphins at Isla Mujeres. That was cool too.

STANG RED
01-28-2008, 02:00 PM
I guess boys town is still down there, just outside of Acuna.:D

If it is, and it's still like it used to be, man you can see and do some things there that you wont find any place else.:devil:

Be careful though. They got stuff there that dont wash off with soap and water.;)

Seriously though, Puerto Viarta is really nice. Cozumel is one of the best places anywhere for scuba diving if your into that.

boudreaux
01-28-2008, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by shankbear
Love Cancun and Cozumel. Took an excursion to the pyramid at Chichen Itza. That is so freeeeeeakin cool. Climb that bad boy. Walk in the ball court. Check out the observatory. All excellent. The wife swam with dolphins at Isla Mujeres. That was cool too.

Chichen Itza was my favorite part of the whole trip.

pirate4state
01-28-2008, 02:04 PM
The wife swam with dolphins at Isla Mujeres. That was cool too. :thumbsup: Isla Mujeres is a really neat little destination!!!

Adidas410s
01-28-2008, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
That would be Beaches. A true Sandals resort does not allow children, period. That's why they have the Beaches Resorts that are under the Sandals umbrella.

As far as Mexico goes. I've only been to Cancun. When going to a resort destination in Mexico, the only way to go is All-inclusive. Just about every resort in Cancun & Cozumel are all-inclusive so it's just a matter of picking the one that best meets your activity needs.

so Sandals is adults...Beaches is families???

mistanice
01-28-2008, 02:20 PM
That would be Beaches. A true Sandals resort does not allow children, period. That's why they have the Beaches Resorts that are under the Sandals umbrella.

So you got an agent, how did that go for you?

firstdown
01-28-2008, 02:21 PM
Cabo San Lucas in Baja Mexico is great. Golf and fishing during the day and the night life is very entertaining.

pirate4state
01-28-2008, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by mistanice
So you got an agent, how did that go for you?

I was an agent!! :) It went very well, got a good discount!! :D

pirate4state
01-28-2008, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
so Sandals is adults...Beaches is families??? Correct.

mistanice
01-28-2008, 02:43 PM
I was an agent!! :) It went very well, got a good discount!! :D

BOOOO! ;)

pirate4state
01-28-2008, 02:45 PM
BOOOO! ;)

Oh and if you want to go for spring break you really need to get a move on!

mistanice
01-28-2008, 02:55 PM
Oh and if you want to go for spring break you really need to get a move on!

Actually I have a date set, Aug. 17. Week before classes start for my final semester!

pirate4state
01-28-2008, 03:04 PM
Actually I have a date set, Aug. 17. Week before classes start for my final semester! Oh, then you are okay. Wow hurricane season. :eek:

mistanice
01-28-2008, 03:17 PM
Oh, then you are okay. Wow hurricane season. :eek:

Has crossed my mind! lol

icu812
01-28-2008, 03:31 PM

I don't think they let people climb up the pyramid anymore. I climbed it before as well. It's very steep.

pirate4state
01-28-2008, 03:33 PM
Has crossed my mind! lol

If I remember correctly, even if you buy the travel insurance it doesn't cover "acts of God" :rolleyes: total rip off travel insurance!

big daddy russ
01-28-2008, 03:39 PM
It all depends on what you are looking for. You want to party, fish, surf, relax, all of the above?

I've never been to some of these places, but I know Mexico pretty well. This is what you're getting on each coast: beautiful beaches and pristine water over on the Gulf/Atlantic side, while some of the best fishing in the world is over on the Pacific side, along with some great surf.

Cabo San Lucas (Baja California on the Pacific side)- Some of the best fishing in the world and nice surf, especially for short boards. The water isn't as clear as elsewhere, but it's still gorgeous. The typical desert beach oasis. Pretty good nightlife. One of my best friends from HS is an expatriate who's been living on the beach down there for the last four or five years.

Cancun- The place to go if you plan on partying. Beautiful beaches and water.

Cozumel- Maybe the clearest water in the world, but more laid back than neighboring Cancun. You can look down and see straight to the bottom in 50 feet of water. Great place to snorkel.

La Ticla- Great surf, and cheap as hell. Not so much a tourist destination (at least it used to not be... times may have changed), more of a place to get some good surf, especially for longboarders. Great point break off this point in La Ticla and the Pacific offers great fishing opportunities just offshore. Definitely more of a local flavor than any of the big cities. There are bungalows on the beach that go for $10 a week or, if you want A/C and running water, check out Rio Nexpa Rooms (http://www.rionexparooms.com/). Kyle's the owner, he's American, the rooms are only $30 a night, and he can take you big game fishing on a ponga boat for a reasonable fee. Used to be $120 last I knew, far less than the $800-$1200 you'd pay in Galveston, Port Aransas, or Port Isabel.

There are some options.

mistanice
01-28-2008, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
It all depends on what you are looking for. You want to party, fish, surf, relax, all of the above?

I've never been to some of these places, but I know Mexico pretty well. This is what you're getting on each coast: beautiful beaches and pristine water over on the Gulf/Atlantic side, while some of the best fishing in the world is over on the Pacific side, along with some great surf.

Cabo San Lucas (Baja California on the Pacific side)- Some of the best fishing in the world and nice surf, especially for short boards. The water isn't as clear as elsewhere, but it's still gorgeous. The typical desert beach oasis. Pretty good nightlife. One of my best friends from HS is an expatriate who's been living on the beach down there for the last four or five years.

Cancun- The place to go if you plan on partying. Beautiful beaches and water.

Cozumel- Maybe the clearest water in the world, but more laid back than neighboring Cancun. You can look down and see straight to the bottom in 50 feet of water. Great place to snorkel.

La Ticla- Great surf, and cheap as hell. Not so much a tourist destination (at least it used to not be... times may have changed), more of a place to get some good surf, especially for longboarders. Great point break off this point in La Ticla and the Pacific offers great fishing opportunities just offshore. Definitely more of a local flavor than any of the big cities. There are bungalows on the beach that go for $10 a week or, if you want A/C and running water, check out Rio Nexpa Rooms (http://www.rionexparooms.com/). Kyle's the owner, he's American, the rooms are only $30 a night, and he can take you big game fishing on a ponga boat for a reasonable fee. Used to be $120 last I knew, far less than the $800-$1200 you'd pay in Galveston, Port Aransas, or Port Isabel.

There are some options.

great info there.

It's going to be 5-7 of us going, 2 will be newlyweds and will make take this trip as their honeymoon. Age range is 22-24. The rest of us will be looking for a good nightlife area, but not like the type in Cancun, little less busy. Most of the time, we would like some R&R.

Cozumel sounds like the best fit for us; and if we want a change of pace, Cancun is close by.

big daddy russ
01-28-2008, 04:02 PM
great info there.

It's going to be 5-7 of us going, 2 will be newlyweds and will make take this trip as their honeymoon. Age range is 22-24. The rest of us will be looking for a good nightlife area, but not like the type in Cancun, little less busy. Most of the time, we would like some R&R.

Cozumel sounds like the best fit for us; and if we want a change of pace, Cancun is close by.
Sounds like your best bet to me, too.

footballgal
01-29-2008, 03:37 PM
That's exatcly why I would want to go to Mexico, to see the pyramids and snorkle the clear waters. (But this place is not in Mexico city is it?
I hope to go one day soon, I haven't been past two or 3 border towns and people tell me it's beautiful in the interior of Mexico too.

Phil C
01-29-2008, 04:03 PM
I enjoyed going to the Solar de la Plaza in Juarez, Mexico which is just across the border from El Paso. I enjoyed the great music and entertainment and even got to fight the brave bull. Wonderful indeed.