PDA

View Full Version : 24-3a and 23-3a

maestro
01-27-2008, 04:47 PM
believe that these districts cross over in boys first round hoops..

any up dated standings for boys???

Antec
01-27-2008, 06:58 PM
Looks like Sweeny will win 24-3A -has at least a 2-3 game lead over Stafford and Wharton

Stafford and Wharton -2nd and third respectively

still five games left if i'm not mistaken

tigerpride_08
01-27-2008, 08:59 PM
right now it's Sweeny,Stafford and our guys...we'll make playoffs and hopefully we can either beat Sweeny or Stafford the next time around...they played good the other night against Columbia so maybe they can get some momentum...

navscanmaster
01-27-2008, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by tigerpride_08
right now it's Sweeny,Stafford and our guys...we'll make playoffs and hopefully we can either beat Sweeny or Stafford the next time around...they played good the other night against Columbia so maybe they can get some momentum...

How would any of the teams mentioned match up with the 23-3A teams? Bellville and Navasota look to be a pretty tough opponent in the first round.

tigerpride_08
01-27-2008, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by navscanmaster
How would any of the teams mentioned match up with the 23-3A teams? Bellville and Navasota look to be a pretty tough opponent in the first round.

well i haven't seen Sweeny play yet...but Stafford is a very athletic team...very good point guard, and has some size...we're a very speedy team...our only problem is we lack height, which could hurt us in the long run...

HEMOTOXIC
01-27-2008, 11:01 PM
From a district 23-3A point of view, Navasota is by far the leader of the pack. Bellville played Navasota really tough, but, that was expected. Bellville seems to always give the Rattlers a tough time. Other than that, I am not sure who will emerge as the third place team. Bellville slipped to Giddings at their place, but, I don't see Giddings beating the Brahmas in Bellville. Bellville has some good shooters, they are very well coached, and they play hard. They will be tough come play off time. As far as the Rattlers, the team believes that they will be playing in Austin. After losing to eventual champion Hardin Jefferson last season by 7, the Rattlers felt that they could have been the champion as well. The Rattlers are tall, athletic, quick, and they have some big time players. Add Hadley and a another player or two from the JV team, the Rattlers will be very tough in the playoffs. I look for them to play in the regional championship game if not Austin.

Good luck to representatives from D23 and 24.

Go Snakes!

Johnny Utah
01-28-2008, 12:38 PM
Region 3 is tough. Brutal to win that Regional Championship. Look forward to watching Navasota in Austin!!! Dont count out HJ or Silsbee or anyone else in that region. Princeton in Region 2!!!

HEMOTOXIC
01-28-2008, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by Johnny Utah
Region 3 is tough. Brutal to win that Regional Championship. Look forward to watching Navasota in Austin!!! Dont count out HJ or Silsbee or anyone else in that region. Princeton in Region 2!!!

You are right, region three is loaded in all sports.

FormerBellvilleBrahma
01-28-2008, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by HEMOTOXIC
From a district 23-3A point of view, Navasota is by far the leader of the pack. Bellville played Navasota really tough, but, that was expected. Bellville seems to always give the Rattlers a tough time. Other than that, I am not sure who will emerge as the third place team. Bellville slipped to Giddings at their place, but, I don't see Giddings beating the Brahmas in Bellville. Bellville has some good shooters, they are very well coached, and they play hard. They will be tough come play off time.

Good luck to representatives from D23 and 24.

Navasota should end up 10-0 in district, Bellville was the only district team to play the Rattlers close 76-73. Bellville would have beat Giddings in Giddings if not have been for the help of the officiating. Bellville has 5 games to play, and only 1 at home (Giddings) the Brahmas will have to play good ball on the road.

HEMOTOXIC
01-28-2008, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by FormerBellvilleBrahma
Navasota should end up 10-0 in district, Bellville was the only district team to play the Rattlers close 76-73. Bellville would have beat Giddings in Giddings if not have been for the help of the officiating. Bellville has 5 games to play, and only 1 at home (Giddings) the Brahmas will have to play good ball on the road.

From what I have seen, the Brahmas shouldn't have any problems with any other teams in the district. Navasota has to go to Giddings in a couple of weeks. It will be interesting to see what the outcome will be consider the Rattlers throttled the Buffs in Navasota by 48.

FormerBellvilleBrahma
01-29-2008, 10:47 PM
From what I have seen, the Brahmas shouldn't have any problems with any other teams in the district. Navasota has to go to Giddings in a couple of weeks. It will be interesting to see what the outcome will be consider the Rattlers throttled the Buffs in Navasota by 48.

Hope there is a better officiating crew there, than what showed up for the Bellville vs Giddings game.

HEMOTOXIC
01-30-2008, 12:23 AM
Hope there is a better officiating crew there, than what showed up for the Bellville vs Giddings game.

Me too. There was horrible officiating in Giddings last year when the Rattlers played there.

buff4life
01-30-2008, 12:27 AM
Me too. There was horrible officiating in Giddings last year when the Rattlers played there.

wow...just jump on the bandwagon...i'm not sure where you're coming from...i'm one of the people that HATE bad officiating and feel guilty when the other team has a cheap or non-foul call called on them, i didn't feel that against navasota and i remember that game very well i thought it was a hard fought game that Navasota came out with in the end...now for the Bellville game this year i have no idea

navscanmaster
01-30-2008, 03:56 AM
Originally posted by buff4life
wow...just jump on the bandwagon...i'm not sure where you're coming from...i'm one of the people that HATE bad officiating and feel guilty when the other team has a cheap or non-foul call called on them, i didn't feel that against navasota and i remember that game very well i thought it was a hard fought game that Navasota came out with in the end...now for the Bellville game this year i have no idea

Just FYI, as a Navasota former player and current fan, we always have trouble getting a clean game called with officials from the Central Texas chapter, whether it is football or basketball. I don't have a clue where the referees from either Giddings/Bellville or last year's Giddings/Navasota game were from since I didn't attend, but experience has shown me that several crews attempt to slow us down, especially when we are physical and fast. Lots of hand checks and blocking fouls called on our defensive press and carrying/travelling on our penetration drives.

HEMOTOXIC
01-30-2008, 02:41 PM
Well, I am not going to argue with anyone on the Giddings/Navasota game from last season. I am not sure why people get so bent out of shape when you mention the officiating. Yes, the game against Giddings was officiated horribly. Not only that, their student body were horrible too. It was tacky that the administration didn't step up to control their students. Navasota came out with a victory, luckily. Navasota has beaten Giddings already by 48 points in Navasota. Let us wait and see what the score will be when the game is played in Giddings.

buff4life
01-30-2008, 05:14 PM
Just FYI, as a Navasota former player and current fan, we always have trouble getting a clean game called with officials from the Central Texas chapter, whether it is football or basketball. I don't have a clue where the referees from either Giddings/Bellville or last year's Giddings/Navasota game were from since I didn't attend, but experience has shown me that several crews attempt to slow us down, especially when we are physical and fast. Lots of hand checks and blocking fouls called on our defensive press and carrying/travelling on our penetration drives.

well hand checks and carrying are against the rules and should be called, this isn't the nba where 4 steps are let go the "baller" mentality of streetball has stuff that doesn't fit in...

and the student body wasn't out of control either...if you think it is a mirror is in order also

navscanmaster
01-30-2008, 07:37 PM
well hand checks and carrying are against the rules and should be called, this isn't the nba where 4 steps are let go the "baller" mentality of streetball has stuff that doesn't fit in...

and the student body wasn't out of control either...if you think it is a mirror is in order also

I said nothing about the student body. I wasn't there, nor am I downing Giddings in any way, so feel secure that you don't have to defend Giddings from me in any way. Moving on....

The problem comes for us when an officiating crew "slows the pace" of the game after it has been under way for a while. No one likes an official that begins calling a game a certain way and then changes his philosophy halfway through the game. It is not fair to the players who are playing their game plan, having made slight adjustments because the coach sees the way a game is being called, or not called, and all of a sudden, one guy gets three fouls in the course of five or so minutes because a referee has changed his calling.

I can understand when it is obvious that a team is "mugging" guys, and to prevent injury or confrontation, the level of contact needed to call a foul is lowered to send a message. It should be equal, however, for both teams, and fouls should be called when they meet that criteria at both ends. And that is where we have always run into problems with Central Texas Chapter referees. They seem to have some preconceived notions about Navasota, and we always end up getting half our second half rebounds from free throws shot by the other team.

Of course, nobody has to agree with me on this. It is just my personal observation from sitting on the sideline for a few years, and in the stands for many more. :)

buff4life
01-30-2008, 10:30 PM
I said nothing about the student body. I wasn't there, nor am I downing Giddings in any way, so feel secure that you don't have to defend Giddings from me in any way. Moving on....

The problem comes for us when an officiating crew "slows the pace" of the game after it has been under way for a while. No one likes an official that begins calling a game a certain way and then changes his philosophy halfway through the game. It is not fair to the players who are playing their game plan, having made slight adjustments because the coach sees the way a game is being called, or not called, and all of a sudden, one guy gets three fouls in the course of five or so minutes because a referee has changed his calling.

I can understand when it is obvious that a team is "mugging" guys, and to prevent injury or confrontation, the level of contact needed to call a foul is lowered to send a message. It should be equal, however, for both teams, and fouls should be called when they meet that criteria at both ends. And that is where we have always run into problems with Central Texas Chapter referees. They seem to have some preconceived notions about Navasota, and we always end up getting half our second half rebounds from free throws shot by the other team.

Of course, nobody has to agree with me on this. It is just my personal observation from sitting on the sideline for a few years, and in the stands for many more. :)

i agree with you i was mainly talking to hemo...but when aggressive teams like navasota that play quick agressive basketball often play with their hands too...along with other teams i have seen...but i agree there is a preconceived notion about navasota

venomous tat2
01-31-2008, 01:08 AM

It wasn't the entire student body just a handful of guys that made it their buisness to harass the team as they warmed up and as the game went on , yes the administration should have stopped them . it's one thing if they were up in the stand but they were on the floor and thats too close . Kids are kids and they crossed the line . There's nothing wrong in heckling , just not court side they showed little to no class .

FormerBellvilleBrahma
01-31-2008, 02:07 PM
.now for the Bellville game this year i have no idea

Bellville lost the game clearly due to the officiating, I am sure I would get another poster from Giddings to back me up on that.
Is there anyway the refs for Giddings home games could come from a different chapter? When is the Navasota vs Giddings game? I would love to see if the same crew shows up for that one.

navscanmaster
02-01-2008, 07:57 AM
Bellville lost the game clearly due to the officiating, I am sure I would get another poster from Giddings to back me up on that.
Is there anyway the refs for Giddings home games could come from a different chapter? When is the Navasota vs Giddings game? I would love to see if the same crew shows up for that one.

February 12th. I might try to make that one just since it should be the only other game I could make this year barring playoffs. Then again, the only boys game I have made so far was Coldspring, and we know how that one went......:(