PDA

View Full Version : Jermie Calhoun

Adidas410s
01-27-2008, 03:47 PM
I'm hearing that he's nowhere close to making the grades needed to get through the NCAA clearing house and likely won't be at OU next season. Anybody else heard this???

Cameron Crazy
01-27-2008, 04:07 PM
That wouldn't be good. Your senior year is supposed to be the easiest. :thinking:

runthequarter
01-27-2008, 04:18 PM
Only if you work the previous 11 before it.

Emerson1
01-27-2008, 04:21 PM
What kind of grades do you have to make?

I bet he passed every class with flying colors the first semester.

TexanFan4Life
01-27-2008, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
I'm hearing that he's nowhere close to making the grades needed to get through the NCAA clearing house and likely won't be at OU next season. Anybody else heard this???

Where are you hearing this? What site?

runthequarter
01-27-2008, 04:43 PM
From Last July

Calhoun has a 3.4 grade point average but did not meet the NCAA qualifying score on his first attempt at the ACT. He retook the test in June and is awaiting the result. He said he can handle college classes and vows to play four years in college even if the NFL becomes an option after his junior season.

Im sure he has taken the test since then.

from Rivals.com

One concern that has been discussed with Calhoun – and a reason that some schools have been slow to add him to their recruiting board – is his ability to qualify, and Calhoun said he understands that he needs to take care of business academically.

"I need to take my ACT and everything will be good after that," he said. "(Texas) said they just need me to get that score and make good grades next year."

So how does the recent news affect the Longhorns' chances?

"They're still up there, they're still number one", Calhoun said. "I'm pumped about it."

The following are Calhoun's thoughts on his two favorites:

Oklahoma - I like how the coach (Bob Stoops) came in the other day. He talked to my coach and said I reminded him of Adrian Peterson. He liked how I ran the ball, said I run the ball hard and that I have breakaway speed.

Texas - I love the colors, just love how they do stuff up there. They kind of fit my profile. He said the same thing about the way I run the ball.

Sooner Board
MojoRisen3/27/2007, 08:09 AM
Calhoun looks darn good- He needs too focus down on grades and what it takes to qualify at the next level- we all know college isn't too hard if you show up to class.

He looks like he will be a good player!

Adidas410s
01-27-2008, 06:08 PM
Once Texas heard that he wouldn't score high enough...they pulled their offer and moved on. Something tells me that they wouldn't pull an offer on the top Texas RB if thought there was a chance he would qualify.

Also, how the heck do you make a 3.4 and not be able to score a 17 or 18 (forget which is the NCAA minimum) on the ACT??? Somebody might want to check the accuracy of his grades.

runthequarter
01-27-2008, 06:16 PM
maybe they got his GPA and YPC mixed up?

Emerson1
01-27-2008, 06:20 PM
Somebody might want to check the accuracy of his grades.
Wouldn't it be close to impossible to do this?

Unless it's something like SOC where there are signed documents to get players out of a class or change a grade. Most teacher/coaches if you are going to change grades to pass someone you do it before the six weeks is over and just change a 30 test grade to a 90 and put in grades for all the missing work.

Adidas410s
01-27-2008, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Wouldn't it be close to impossible to do this?

Unless it's something like SOC where there are signed documents to get players out of a class or change a grade. Most teacher/coaches if you are going to change grades to pass someone you do it before the six weeks is over and just change a 30 test grade to a 90 and put in grades for all the missing work.
you sound experienced with this...:thinking:

Emerson1
01-27-2008, 06:52 PM
you sound experienced with this...:thinking:
Yes, because I was so needed when I played football the coach risked his career to change my grade.

Thanks for thinking I was any good though :thumbsup:

Phil C
01-27-2008, 08:43 PM
I don't know about padding grades but I once had a niece that had all A's one semester except for PE in which the coach gave her a B. This upset one of her teachers and she told the coach that she won't be getting any extra favors for her athletes whatever that meant.

This happened yeaern ago.

coachc45
01-27-2008, 08:43 PM
Also, how the heck do you make a 3.4 and not be able to score a 17 or 18 (forget which is the NCAA minimum) on the ACT??? Somebody might want to check the accuracy of his grades.
It is called special education. Many kids have learning disabilities that qualify for help in school. The test doesn't necessarily give that help.

Or it could be that he just ain't good at testing.

runthequarter
01-27-2008, 08:59 PM
The ACT is not modified.

Phil C
01-27-2008, 09:40 PM
I am not familiar with the situation but I know that he wanted to come to Texas and I hated to lose him to Oklahoma where he will probably be a great back.

Panther One
01-27-2008, 10:12 PM
A prospect's overall GPA doesn't matter. It is his/her core course GPA that the Clearinghouse uses. Beginning this year, they are using 16 core courses, up from 14. The core courses are 4 years of English, 3 years of math (alg I or higher), 2 years of science, 2 years of social studies, 1 additional eng, math, or science, and 4 additional core courses (can be any of the afore mentioned, foreign languages, or any other courses recognized by the clearinghouse as a core course). A prospect's core course GPA determines the test score needed to qualify using a sliding scale. The lower a prospect's core course GPA, the higher the test score they need to qualify. More info can be found here:

https://web1.ncaa.org/eligibilitycenter/hs/d1_standards.pdf

Requiring two additional core courses is HUGE and will keep athletes from qualifying that would have under the 14 core course rules. Most prospects will graduate with 16 core courses and usually more. But now, they'll have to factor in two additional courses. In some instances, that may mean factoring in C's or D's which are going to lower the core course GPA and require higher test scores. The new 16 core course rule will definitely impact recruiting.

Another note on the tests...For the SAT, they take the combination of your highest verbal and math from all of your test attempts, and for the ACT, they take the highest combination of the four sections from all of your test attempts. So if you take the SAT twice and score 550V 300M on the first attempt and 400V 480M on the second, the clearinghouse will use a score of 1030, even though you never got about 900 on either attempt. Basically, if you can't qualify, you have absolutely no business being at an institution of higher learning.

runthequarter
01-27-2008, 10:37 PM
Agreed but we all know kids get in so they can play. If we got rid of the kids who really dont belong in college they might be playing 6 man football and 3 on 3 basketball.

Panther One
01-27-2008, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by runthequarter
Agreed but we all know kids get in so they can play. If we got rid of the kids who really dont belong in college they might be playing 6 man football and 3 on 3 basketball.
Yeah I know. College Football and Basketball are the minor leagues for the NBA and NFL.

runthequarter
01-27-2008, 11:24 PM
Unfortunatly yes.

Adidas410s
01-27-2008, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by Panther One
Yeah I know. College Football and Basketball are the minor leagues for the NBA and NFL.
It is what it is...

big daddy russ
01-28-2008, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by coachc45
Or it could be that he just ain't good at testing.
My best friend from high school was an honor roll student, top 10%, smart guy, and it was all legit. Then scored a 910 on his SAT (SAT's were different back then for all the kids out there... highest possible score was a 1600).

He was capable of much more than that, but nerves got to him and he crashed an burned. Not a test-taker at all. Would've made straight-A's if not for his nerves.

Went back and scored a 12-something (want to say a 1230, but it's been a while) when he took it his senior year. Maybe Calhoun had the same problem and just hasn't had the chance to study and retake the test because of his football responsibilities?

icu812
01-28-2008, 11:01 AM
People I know close to the situation say he did really well on his recent ACT. I assume it's true but don't know the score. Anyway, UT made a big mistake not getting this guy when they could.

Phil C
01-28-2008, 02:55 PM
I had a classmate who only scored 910 on the SAT. His grades were good though not spectacular in high school. Today he is a medical doctor. :)