PDA

View Full Version : The '72 Dolphins

Maroon87
01-25-2008, 12:25 PM
'72 Dolphins don't want to face the truth
by Mark Kriegel
FOXSports.com.

A champagne toast is in order. Raise a glass for the 1972 Miami Dolphins, a team that has finally succeeded in diminishing its own perfect season.

The latest silly salvo directed at the undefeated New England Patriots comes from Mercury Morris, now 61, who went on the radio the other day and spoke his apparently deteriorating mind.
"They win on February 3, and they're the second-best team in the history of the NFL," said Morris. "We're the first team. ... If they win, they're going to be the second team."

So there.

Of course, every team deserves to be judged in the context of its time. That said, a 19-0 season — New England's record should it win the Super Bowl — would be more impressive than Miami's mark, 17-0. Anyone not named Mercury Morris can do the math on that one.

What's more, Dolphins alums like Morris were not well-advised to call attention to themselves, or else someone like me would remind you of their dirty little secret. The '72 team benefited from one of the easiest schedules in NFL history. Bash the Patriots and their coach all you want. I do. Just understand that with a game left to play, they are nothing if not tested, as their regular season included victories over six playoff teams — the Colts, Cowboys, Chargers, Steelers, Giants and Redskins.

Now, go back and check the '72 Dolphins. Their regular season included only two games against teams that finished better than .500 — the Vikings and the Giants, who were both 8-6 that year. The combined won-loss record of their opponents was 43-86-3. Let me rephrase. Their average opponent had a winning percentage of .333.

There are some notably sane Dolphin alums. Jim Mandich, a tight end on that '72 team, comes to mind. When recently asked how that team would do against these Patriots, he responded: "They would kick our (butts) from one side of the field to the other."

There's no shame in that, just common sense. As a rule, ballplayers get bigger, stronger and faster every year. The Patriots have 35 years of athletic evolution (not to mention a little HGH, in the case of Rodney Harrison) on their side. The Dolphins offensive line averaged 253 pounds. The front three starters on New England's defense range from 300 to 325 pounds.

Still, Mandich's teammates seem incapable of acknowledging the obvious.

"The weight issue is overstated," the Dolphins' old center, Jim Langer, told The Miami Herald. Another 50 pounds doesn't mean a damn thing. It's all about leverage."

Said Bob Kuechenberg, once a guard: "If we play under the old rules" — basically enabling the defense to beat up receivers all over the field — "we win going away."

Fifty pounds doesn't mean a thing. We win going away. Lines like these — so contemptuous of an obvious truth — could be dismissed as a mere goof if they weren't also a little sad. No one wants to hear old men sound like little boys. But then again, maybe that's what this is about. It says right here that these ex-Dolphins don't resent the Patriots nearly as much for cheating as for making them feel old.

The undefeated season seemed to confer an eternal standing. But faced with the prospect of an even better undefeated team, the aging Dolphins are being forced to confront their own mortality.

As Charlie Babb, the former Miami safety, told my colleague Alex Marvez, "The older I get, the more it means. More than anything else, that's all that we have left."

They've spent months trying to rationalize their everlasting superiority, building hypothetical constructs that might favor their cause. They neglect their soft schedule, of course. Instead, they dwell on the old rules, as if that could possibly help them. They talk of having to play with their second-string quarterback, Earl Morrall, for 10 games. And, of course, there was the suggestion — first advanced by Don Shula — that an undefeated Patriots season should be designated with an asterisk.

New England was caught illicitly stealing defensive signals in the first week against the Jets. That alone is reason enough to root against them and to dislike the coach. Spygate might cast suspicion on Bill Belichick's career -- what of a coach who made cheating part of the game plan? -- but not this season. Again, the Pats were busted in Week 1 against the Jets, a team they beat by 24. It's not as if Belichick got caught in, say, Week 10. He never got a chance to study and make use of the stolen signs.

So there goes Shula's asterisk. It bears mention, by the way, that Shula wasn't always comfortable with hypothetical scenarios. Back in 1989, Steve Sabol of NFL Films came up with an elaborately modeled computer program featuring 20 of the greatest NFL teams in an elimination tournament. According to Dave Hyde's Still Perfect: The Untold Story of the 1972 Miami Dolphins, Shula detested the idea, and kept calling Sabol to see how the computer was treating his legacy.

"That team never got the credit it deserved," he would say.

Still, the computer Dolphins won every "game" until the very last, when they lost to the '78 Steelers. Not long after that Dream Bowl, as it was called, Sabol made the mistake of picking up his phone. It was Shula, hollering in what Hyde would describe as "a voice of rage."

"What kind of computer is that?" he asked.

Shula and his former players have made it a habit to pop of bottle of champagne following the first defeat of each season's last undefeated team. They might find themselves toasting the Patriots' loss on Feb. 3. The Giants have a legitimate shot. More likely, though, the 1972 Dolphins will learn of their fate the hard way. This is no Super Bowl for old men.

DDBooger
01-25-2008, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87

Now, go back and check the '72 Dolphins. Their regular season included only two games against teams that finished better than .500 — the Vikings and the Giants, who were both 8-6 that year. The combined won-loss record of their opponents was 43-86-3. Let me rephrase. Their average opponent had a winning percentage of .333.
rather glaring

TexasHSFootball
01-25-2008, 12:34 PM
Mercury Morris has been a thorn in my side on TV and radio all year.. I am so sick of him runnig his mouth about being the only undefeated team in NFL history... which he has been wrong all this time, its been done three other times...

At one point he says, if the Patriots get there ""they we stand beside us, but they haven't gotten there yet." now he is saying "they will never be the best no mater what they do."

I am so sick of hearing him run his mouth. Different game, diferent era, more distrations, more complications in this era and day in time.

Shut your piehole Mercury.. GO PATRIOTS :mad:

Phil C
01-25-2008, 12:47 PM
I wonder if Mark got his information from reading the 3A Down Low. See below for old post. :)

http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=74694&highlight=dolphins

Phil C
01-25-2008, 12:48 PM
Looks like once again 3A downlow was ahead of other nationwide news in scoops. :)

coach
01-25-2008, 01:22 PM
what happens if the pats run the table again next year?

themsu97
01-25-2008, 01:37 PM
doubt that will happen...

who cares though, I mean really... this is just something to give people on ESPN something to talk about...

Brady as the best ever, doubt it... top 10 yeah, top5, not sure...

he is truly great... but what I do is ask myself could other good qb's be put in the same place and still succeed, and if I think the answer is yes, then they are not better but equal...

example Montana was great and he and Brady could be interchanged... but I do not think that Brady or Montana would have won a super bowl had they played for the same Dolphin teams that Marino played on... make sense

Leopards,class of 75
01-25-2008, 01:45 PM
17-0 or 19-0 is awesome no matter who says what! These are really two great teams and you have to respect them both.(saying that the Pats. win the Super Bowl)

themsu97
01-25-2008, 01:48 PM
agreed, 19-0 is impressive...

17-0 is impressive... does not matter what the records were of teams they played... the Pats play in a weak conference so they had 6 games of byes...

bottom line is both had to go out every week and be at the top of thier game and still win

Leopards,class of 75
01-25-2008, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by themsu97
agreed, 19-0 is impressive...

17-0 is impressive... does not matter what the records were of teams they played... the Pats play in a weak conference so they had 6 games of byes...

bottom line is both had to go out every week and be at the top of thier game and still win All good points !!! And who is too say that the 72 Dolphins couldn't of won 19 games if given the chance. The Miami Dolphins had a powerful 3 year run to the Super Bowl. On Jan.16,1972 the lost to the Cowboy's 24-3, On Jan,14,1973 they completed there perfect season with a win over the Redskins,14-7, and on Jan.13,1974 they defeated the Vikings 24-7.

Phil C
01-25-2008, 06:04 PM
What the Dolphins accomplished in 1972 was remarkable. Remember in pro football the old saying On any given day. What that means is that the worse teams in the league can play well and upset the best teams. I remember in 1989 the Cowboys only won one game that year and that was against Washington who at that time was a title contender and one of the best teams. In Dallas first year they only had one tie but that was agianst the powerful New York Giants who were one of the best teams in that era. And don't forget this year when Bufalo almost upset Dallas and except for a lucky on side kick recovery would have pulled it off. The year Dallas won their first super bowl the New Orleans Saints beat them when NO had one of the worse teams in the league. So regardless of the soft schedule what the Dolphins did was great. But if the Patriots do it it will still be more remarkable because of the tougher schedule.

themsu97
01-25-2008, 07:14 PM
the Dolphins at the time were the best team in football... that three year run is unmatched except by the Steelers...

what I do not like is how Lombardi's Packers won what, 3 straight NFL championships then the first two Super Bowls and people never talk about them... then Otto Graham led the Browns to what, 7 NFL titles in 10 years...

JR2004
01-25-2008, 07:24 PM
Mercury Morris needs to be institutionalized. The man is flat out going to breakdown completely if New England wins.

SpeedOption
01-26-2008, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by JR2004
Mercury Morris needs to be institutionalized. The man is flat out going to breakdown completely if New England wins.

He should put Dr. Phil on speedial.