PDA

View Full Version : Emergency Rooms!!!

Ranger Mom
01-24-2008, 10:42 PM
The wait in one is RIDICULOUS!!!!

I took my granddaughter to the ER at 6:00 (she is running 104 temp, coughing, congested, and chocking on her own snot).

I tried to get her a Drs. appt today, all the clinics were booked....so I tried the ER.

They told me it would be a 8 to 10 hour wait!!!!:eek:

Needless to say, we came back home!!

I'd hate to be dying!!:mad:

setxsports
01-24-2008, 11:44 PM
:eek:

catdaddy
01-25-2008, 12:11 AM
If you know someone that really needs to be seen, go in a an ambulance. You go directly into ER. Otherwise go to a minor emergency facility. The wait usuallyisn't that bad.

trojan37
01-25-2008, 12:37 AM
I had taken my youngest son to an ER in Waco 3 nights in a row before. He had been sick for a week, throwing up constantly and running a fever. Every time we went they would draw his blood, run tests, and said they couldn't find anything and it must be a virus and it would just have to run it's course. Needless to say, the last night we had to take him in and my wife and I were told the same thing, I came unglued(along with my wife) and told them to transport us by ambulance to Cook's Children's in Ft. Worth. After they did their own tests and looked him over very well(not to mention a spinal tap) they discovered he had meningitis, and we had a 10 day stay in the hospital. Oh yeah, that hospital in Waco received a nice little phone call from us.:D

Blitzkrieg
01-25-2008, 08:28 AM
lol, i thought this was another "i hate illegal immigrants" thread

CHS_CG
01-25-2008, 08:29 AM
Last year I had to go to Urgent Care (scott and whites version of the ER durning business hrs) bc I couldnt keep anything down, I had been running a fever of 104 for about 6 hrs and couldnt hardly walk or move.. I waited 2 hrs there before I finally passed out and then they figured they should take me in. I was in there for 3 more hrs having IV's pumped into me. Needless to say they got a piece of my mom's mind through the whole thing.

A lot of the back up comes from people who go into the ER for a headache or bc their back hurts.. stuff that could wait till in the AM.

Ranger Mom
01-25-2008, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by catdaddy
If you know someone that really needs to be seen, go in a an ambulance. You go directly into ER. Otherwise go to a minor emergency facility. The wait usuallyisn't that bad.

Our minor emergency clinics close around 6 here...so that wasn't an option.

CenTexSports
01-25-2008, 09:46 AM
RM, your problem was not with the emergency room it was with the parents. Grandparents do not have the mindset necessary to watch their grandkids be sick. You should have had the mother or father take them and to keep you informed.

Ranger Mom
01-25-2008, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by CenTexSports
RM, your problem was not with the emergency room it was with the parents. Grandparents do not have the mindset necessary to watch their grandkids be sick. You should have had the mother or father take them and to keep you informed.

Ha Ha!! I was there WITH the mother!!:tongue: :tongue:

CenTexSports
01-25-2008, 09:55 AM
Can't you see the pot calling the kettle black? I have had custody of two of my grandkids for 1 1/2 years. Next week we have to take our 2 year old grandson in for surgery.

However, I still say that grandparents don't have the patience needed to deal with the things young parents have to be able to do. And I KNOW that it hurts me more to see my grandkids sick than it did with my kids.

Ranger Mom
01-25-2008, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by CenTexSports
Can't you see the pot calling the kettle black? I have had custody of two of my grandkids for 1 1/2 years. Next week we have to take our 2 year old grandson in for surgery.

However, I still say that grandparents don't have the patience needed to deal with the things young parents have to be able to do. And I KNOW that it hurts me more to see my grandkids sick than it did with my kids.

Well....if it hadn't been for the "Mother" I never would have gone to the ER, I thought it could wait til today!!

And guess what??? It DID wait til today!!:p

SWMustang
01-25-2008, 10:27 AM
thought this was appropriate:

The other day, I needed to go to the emergency room. Not wanting to sit there for 4 hours, I put on my old Army fatigues and stuck a patch that I had downloaded off the Internet onto the front of my shirt. When I went into the E.R., I noticed that 3/4 of the people got up and left. I guess they decided that they weren't that sick after all. Here's the patch. Feel free to use it the next time you're in need of quicker emergency service.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j200/pattonwb/US-Border-Patrol.jpg

CHS_CG
01-25-2008, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by SWMustang
thought this was appropriate:

The other day, I needed to go to the emergency room. Not wanting to sit there for 4 hours, I put on my old Army fatigues and stuck a patch that I had downloaded off the Internet onto the front of my shirt. When I went into the E.R., I noticed that 3/4 of the people got up and left. I guess they decided that they weren't that sick after all. Here's the patch. Feel free to use it the next time you're in need of quicker emergency service.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j200/pattonwb/US-Border-Patrol.jpg

LMAO I love it:clap: :clap:

STANG RED
01-25-2008, 02:01 PM
Many years ago I folded my very sharp pocket knife up on my right hand index finger while trying to pry it between a battery post and the cable terminal (not very smart I know, but I was young). Anyway, by the time I got to the emergency room, the rag I had wrapped around it with was getting pretty soaked in blood. After checking in and taking a seat for a few minutes the blood finally started dripping on the floor. I cupped my other hand under it and went to the desk to tell them what was happening. They told me not to worry about it, they would clean it up later. So I went and sat back down. After a while the puddle was starting to get pretty big on the floor so I went back to the desk to tell them I was making a pretty big mess, how long was it going to be before they would get me in. Agian they told me not to worry about the mess, just take my seat and they would get to me as soon as they could. So now I set down in the seat next to where I had been, so as not to step in this rather sizeable blood puddle. I take the wrap off my finger and in blood drops I write on the floor "If I bleed to death, tell my family I love them, and to sue for all they can get". In a few minutes a nurse walks in, sees what I have done, says "Oh my goodness" rather loudly, then whiskes me away to the back to get my stitches. I noticed as I was leaving later, the mess had been cleaned up clean as a whistle.:D True story!

DU_stud04
01-25-2008, 02:24 PM
i remember when i slit my leg open about 6 inches my sister took me to the er. i wrapped it with a clean dish towel which was red by the time i got there, they had me sit down(i was the only one there) about 30 minutes later my leg is shaking and i have a blood puddle that soaked up my sock and shoe which made a squishy sound every time i took a step. finally they took me back to get stapled up....by this time my parents had gotten off of work and showed up to see what i had done.... as soon as they took off the dish towel, one of the parentals got a little sick and went to the bathroom till the procedure was done. i got about 20 staples. i didnt get to play my baseball game that night :(

Antec
01-25-2008, 04:55 PM
In Wharton clinic they have a convienient care where persons can see a physicans assistant for minor iillnesses
Colds etc

Its from 7-10 a.m. and has a $20 co pay

most of time he will give you sample medications or a prescription.

My wife was a i minor wreck three weeks ago and we waited about 10 minutes to ger her examined

Had x rays which came out okay-we were there for less than an hour total

Fortuntunately it worked out f ine

I had been there before and there is hardly ever a wait-also depends what time it is

JT44
01-25-2008, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
The wait in one is RIDICULOUS!!!!

I took my granddaughter to the ER at 6:00 (she is running 104 temp, coughing, congested, and chocking on her own snot).

I tried to get her a Drs. appt today, all the clinics were booked....so I tried the ER.

They told me it would be a 8 to 10 hour wait!!!!:eek:

Needless to say, we came back home!!

I'd hate to be dying!!:mad:

IT'S FLU SEASON........AND IT'S BAD THIS YEAR

I work at a hospital microbiology lab and we've had about 50 people w/positive flu tests w/in 24 hours, never have any of us that are working there seen such an influx.

Aesculus gilmus
01-25-2008, 06:55 PM
Buckeyes don't have any blood.

It's interesting to read about all the bloody messes all you bloody creatures suffer, though.

loboes86
01-25-2008, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by CHS_CG
A lot of the back up comes from people who go into the ER for a headache or bc their back hurts.. stuff that could wait till in the AM. I've been to the E.R. because of a severe headache, they thought I was having a stroke, turned out to be a really bad migrane. A good dose of demerole (sp) finaly took care of it. Hard to get that kind of pain meds across the counter and it would of been really hard to wait until the A.M..:)

CHS_CG
01-26-2008, 12:12 AM
Not saying everybody who goes to the ER could wait till the morning but around here I have seen first hand a lot of people that come in that could wait. Glad u werent having a stroke!!! Thats probably a horrible thing to even think you are going through

AP Panther Fan
01-26-2008, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by Aesculus gilmus

It's interesting to read about all the bloody messes all you bloody creatures suffer, though.

Those same stories made shiver as I read them :eek:

I absolutely hate emergency rooms...and have had several bad experiences there, long waits etc...but what puts it into perspective is when they bring in a kid in overdosing while you are there, or someone that is going into cardiac arrest and doesn't make it. In our small ER, if you happen to be there at the wrong time, you can see it all.:(

For CenTex and RangerMom, I am the parent that cannot handle their kid(s) having an ailment that would require emergency care.. (basically, anything that involves blood or needles). I have had several occasions where I thank God for my parents, because I simply would be laying out on the floor before it was over.

loboes86
01-26-2008, 12:58 PM
When son was 3yrs. old he managed to get 2 fingers cut off, his hand was wrapped in a towel. While I was carrying him into the E.R. the towel fell off, I almost passed out on the sidewalk just outside the door.

ProudHornetMom
01-26-2008, 01:16 PM
For every step forward we take in medical advancement, we take 5 steps back in the human componet of caring for patients. I can get a quick soapbox about it. I'm a nurse. When I read stories like above, I cringe in embarrassment. I know ER's are busy, so increase staffing to care for the patients. The trend is for ER's to be used for routine clinic care. Teh medical community knows that, so deal with it. Increase staff, open the urgent care clinic in the ER and see the patients in a timely manner.

It is frustrating that ER's are used for minor clinical care but sometimes the ER is the only means a family has for health care which in turn increases cost for everyone. But...there are very few hospitals and physician clinics operating in the red. Most are making dandy profits and perks certainly haven't lessened.

I can go on and on...better slink back in my corner.

Ranger Mom
01-29-2008, 12:31 AM
*UPDATE*

I was called home from work on Friday afternoon to watch my granddaughter. My son had to go to work and the baby's mom was SICK with a stomach flu (which I got on Saturday)!

Anyway, the baby was STILL feeling really bad and her Dr. said he was too busy to see her. No minor emergency clincs would take a child under 2.

I called the last clinic and it happened to be HER Dr's office...I didn't realize there was more than one Dr. there. The nurse (Nadeen, VERY nice lady) pulled her chart and called me back. She apologized profusely saying she wished they could get her in, but it had been crazy and there was NO WAY the Dr's would stay past 4 to see any other patients.

She told me to give her Triaminic Cough and Cold...in which I promply told her I thought all that stuff had been pulled off the shelves...she said that one was okay and told me the dosage for children 4 months to a year.

I asked her about a vaporizor or humidifier, since Dr's don't seem to like those anymore. She said she had been an RN for 40 years and she always used a vaporizer when her kids were small (as did I) and they survived.

So...between Baby Vicks vapor rub, Triaminic and the vaporizer, she slept ALL night Friday and Saturday night and is on her way to recovery!!

Nadeen is my new hero!!:D