PDA

View Full Version : Adults - get your shots if needed.

Phil C
01-24-2008, 04:34 PM
You should consult your physician about what you need. It seems we are anxious for our kids to get shots as needed but we overlook ourselves in some cases.
I have just taken most of the shots recently including the dtap, pneumonia and flu shot. I haven't had the Hepatattis A/B but I am not really at risk in this case. I won't eligible for the Shingles shot until late June this year but I will take that one when I qualify.

http://www.yahoo.com/s/790998

Astrosdawg07
01-24-2008, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
You should consult your physician about what you need. It seems we are anxious for our kids to get shots as needed but we overlook ourselves in some cases.
I have just taken most of the shots recently including the dtap, pneumonia and flu shot. I haven't had the Hepatattis A/B but I am not really at risk in this case. I won't eligible for the Shingles shot until late June this year but I will take that one when I qualify.

http://www.yahoo.com/s/790998

I had the Shingles and trust me you don't want them!

Phil C
01-24-2008, 04:50 PM
I did consult with my family doctor before I got the shots and he highly recommended them. One I got was the dtap shot which had the combination tetanus, diptheria and whooping cough vaccines. You may want to consider getting them because in December (I think) there were I think 14 cases of whooping cough in Bee County (Beeville). I don't want to cause a panic but it may be worth getting the shot under the advise of your physician.

Phil C
01-24-2008, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Astrosdawg07
I had the Shingles and trust me you don't want them!

Astrps that is what the health nurse told me and she is about my age and we both agreed we would get a shot when we became eligible. These things are bad but they say they are much worse on you when you are older.

Ranger Mom
01-24-2008, 04:54 PM
I did consult with my family doctor before I got the shots and he highly recommended them. One I got was the dtap shot which had the combination tetanus, diptheria and whooping cough vaccines. You may want to consider getting them because in December (I think) there were I think 14 cases of whooping cough in Bee County (Beeville). I don't want to cause a panic but it may be worth getting the shot under the advise of your physician.

Freaky story here...my boss was put on Coumadin (blood thinner) a few weeks ago! She cut her thumb and just about bled to death! At the hospital, she was given a Tetanus shot!

She now has about a pint of blood floating around in her arm caused from the injection!! Her arm is almost completely black and she can hardly move it at all!!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

sahen
01-24-2008, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Freaky story here...my boss was put on Coumadin (blood thinner) a few weeks ago! She cut her thumb and just about bled to death! At the hospital, she was given a Tetanus shot!

She now has about a pint of blood floating around in her arm caused from the injection!! Her arm is almost completely black and she can hardly move it at all!!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

wow, thats bad...my mom is on coumadin cause she had a clot in her lungs one time but they monitor it all the time and constantly adjust her dosage so that her blood doesnt get too thick or thin...

CHS_CG
01-24-2008, 06:09 PM
Taylor was exposed to the flu last week and so her doctor gave her the flu shot, I did not have the flu shot nor have I gotten the flu shot ever. Turned around and Taylor got better now I have the flu.

Phil C
01-25-2008, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by CHS_CG
Taylor was exposed to the flu last week and so her doctor gave her the flu shot, I did not have the flu shot nor have I gotten the flu shot ever. Turned around and Taylor got better now I have the flu.

Get well soon. Was Taylor upset when she got the shot?

Ranger Mom
01-25-2008, 10:44 AM

Out of the 8 people that work in my office, only 1 has had the flu shot......and guess which one got the flu???

Phil C
01-25-2008, 10:47 AM
Out of the 8 people that work in my office, only 1 has had the flu shot......and guess which one got the flu???

:eek: :(

slingshot
01-25-2008, 03:42 PM
Out of the 8 people that work in my office, only 1 has had the flu shot......and guess which one got the flu??? Sorry to barge in here but felt I had too... gotta clarify a few things.
Flu shots can not cause the flu. Period. It's a killed virus--dead bugs don't infect you.
Flu shots are not 100%. At best they reduce your risk of contracting the flu by about 50% compared to non-immunized people
The real reason to take the flu shot is that they reduce your risk of life-threatening complications from flu (pneumonia, etc) by 95% compared to people who don't take the flu shot
Take home message? Get a flu shot unless you are truly allergic to them (rare)... flu season is in full swing right now--I had 8 positive influenza tests today at my office. Good luck and Good health!

CHS_CG
01-25-2008, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by slingshot
Sorry to barge in here but felt I had too... gotta clarify a few things.[list]
Flu shots can not cause the flu. Period. It's a killed virus--dead bugs don't infect you.

Tell that to my daughter who was only coughing and 2 hrs after she had the shot had a temp of 103 +.

She didnt react very well phil. She thought she was just going to see the doctor tell her hi and then all of a sudden she gets a shot.. then like I said had a fever of 103+ 2 hrs later. She was not very happy with me but she did get an ice cream cone for being a good girl.

Phil C
01-25-2008, 04:40 PM
Tell that to my daughter who was only coughing and 2 hrs after she had the shot had a temp of 103 +.

She didnt react very well phil. She thought she was just going to see the doctor tell her hi and then all of a sudden she gets a shot.. then like I said had a fever of 103+ 2 hrs later. She was not very happy with me but she did get an ice cream cone for being a good girl.

How is she doing now?

CHS_CG
01-25-2008, 04:48 PM
How is she doing now?

Oh shes just fine now.. she got over it in about 2 days after gettin the shot. Now shes helping mommy get better.. She will cover my feet up if I have them uncovered and she will come kiss me on my cheek and tell me "get better mommy" shes been a great little help. (till I tried to brush her hair last night:mad: )

Phil C
01-25-2008, 04:52 PM
Oh shes just fine now.. she got over it in about 2 days after gettin the shot. Now shes helping mommy get better.. She will cover my feet up if I have them uncovered and she will come kiss me on my cheek and tell me "get better mommy" shes been a great little help. (till I tried to brush her hair last night:mad: )

Good news indeed! And we look forward to hearing of your recovery soon.

CHS_CG
01-25-2008, 04:54 PM
Good news indeed! And we look forward to hearing of your recovery soon.

U and me both!

nobogey72
01-25-2008, 04:59 PM
Does anyone know how to get rid of ticks? My wife has them. She will not wear those collars. She will wear them for a couple of days and then starts chewing them off. I probably need to take her and have her dipped, but that's pretty expensive. I just wondered if any of ya'll know any tricks. :D

crzyjournalist03
01-25-2008, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by nobogey72
Does anyone know how to get rid of ticks? My wife has them. She will not wear those collars. She will wear them for a couple of days and then starts chewing them off. I probably need to take her and have her dipped, but that's pretty expensive. I just wondered if any of ya'll know any tricks. :D

make her cover her body in fingernail polish

nobogey72
01-25-2008, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
make her cover her body in fingernail polish

She's a big-boned woman, so I figure that it take about 2 gallons of nail polish, that would be more expensive than getting her dipped.:helpme: :helpme:

zebrablue2
01-25-2008, 06:10 PM

the shot did not make her ill. she had already been exposed to a bug before she recieved the shot. would have had that fever, shot or no shot..

slingshot
01-25-2008, 10:02 PM
Tell that to my daughter who was only coughing and 2 hrs after she had the shot had a temp of 103 +... If she was already getting sick (coughing) she should have never been given the flu shot to begin with... secondly--it was not the flu, you don't get over that in two days, Glad all is well now though! I'll still stick by my earlier statement of FACT--You cannot get the flu from a killed ('inactivated') virus vaccine. Physiologically impossible.

CHS_CG
01-25-2008, 10:12 PM
If she was already getting sick (coughing) she should have never been given the flu shot to begin with...

Well according to my doctor since she had been exposed to the flu she gave her the flu shot. I am just sayin what happened and what I have see.

AP Panther Fan
01-25-2008, 11:03 PM

hahaha...remind of that old saying, "if you lay down with dogs, you are going to get fleas"...in her case ticks... :D

maybe we should get you dipped?:eek: ;) :D

SpeedOption
01-27-2008, 12:26 PM

Good one

boudreaux
01-27-2008, 07:12 PM
Sorry to barge in here but felt I had too... gotta clarify a few things.
Flu shots are not 100%. At best they reduce your risk of contracting the flu by about 50% compared to non-immunized people
The real reason to take the flu shot is that they reduce your risk of life-threatening complications from flu (pneumonia, etc) by 95% compared to people who don't take the flu shot
Take home message? Get a flu shot unless you are truly allergic to them (rare)... flu season is in full swing right now--I had 8 positive influenza tests today at my office. Good luck and Good health!

Thank you for posting this info. I have people tell me every year that they don't get a flu shot because it gives them the flu.:doh:

At that point, I just shut up and walk away.

I have gotten a flu shot every year. I have not gotten sick from it or gotten the flu later. It's not 100% guarantee that you won't get the flu.