PDA

View Full Version : Girls Gone Wild in Abilene cancelled

lakers
01-24-2008, 01:56 PM
A controversial "Girls Gone Wild" filming event scheduled for Friday at an Abilene nightclub has been canceled because of public outcry and expected bad weather.

"Due to inclement weather in the region, the event was canceled," said Ronn Torossian, a spokesman for "Girls Gone Wild." "There are reports of heavy rain on Thursday and Friday in that region, and crew members were concerned."

The crew was scheduled to film Friday at the Midnight Rodeo, 1082 S. 2nd St., for "Girls Gone Wild," a video series in which young women are encouraged to shed their clothing.

A Midnight Rodeo representative said that the management for the club "didn't know (the event) would be such a big deal" and didn't want to embarrass the community.

"We don't want to give Abilene a reputation or anything like that," the employee said. "We didn't know it would blow up like this."

The event drew much criticism at www.reporternews.com, where many readers expressed concern that young women would be exploited by the "Girls Gone Wild" production.

However, the publicity also stirred interest. After an article about the event appeared in Wednesday's newspaper, phones were ringing off the hook at Midnight Rodeo, the employee said.

"People were wanting to reserve tables," he said.

Representatives of the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission's Abilene office and the Abilene Police Department had planned to monitor activities at the club to ensure that participants steered "clear of being obscene."

The video series was conceived by Joseph R. Francis, a controversial 34-year-old Californian who pleaded guilty to federal charges of failing to document ages of young women engaging in sexual acts in 2006 and who was indicted on federal tax evasion charges in 2007.

The videos typically involve film crews in search of young women who agree to expose their bodies on camera, videotaping in pubs and at parties frequented by young adults. In the more extreme cases, camera crews film young women -- who usually receive tank tops and short pants in return for their participation -- at other locations, where the women engage in additional suggestive exhibitionism. The videos are generally sold through late-night television infomercials and on the Internet.

According to the National Weather Service, heavy rain is not expected, but a winter storm watch goes into effect this evening. The NWS says there is a chance of freezing rain, sleet and snow tonight through noon Friday. After that, any precipitation is expected to be rain.

link (http://www.reporternews.com/news/2008/jan/23/girls-gone-wild-now-gone-because-of-outcry/)

Adidas410s
01-24-2008, 02:00 PM
plenty of girls from Abilene have shown up in these videos. I remember a few years ago...one of the commericals had 3 seperate clips of girls I went to HS with!!! :eek: Sad times indeed! :(

buff4life
01-24-2008, 02:25 PM
ha that sucks lol

CHS_CG
01-24-2008, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
plenty of girls from Abilene have shown up in these videos. I remember a few years ago...one of the commericals had 3 seperate clips of girls I went to HS with!!! :eek: Sad times indeed! :(

I was looking at one of my friends myspace pages the other day and a girl I went to H.S left a comment on his page.. appently she moved to Hollywood and is modeling for Matrix Models and her and her roommate are opening and ending the GGW Las Vegas video.

kaorder1999
01-24-2008, 02:26 PM
Note To Self: Cancel trip to Abilene

Sweetwater Red
01-24-2008, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
Note To Self: Cancel trip to Abilene

After reading this I walked over and told a co-worker "You
don't have to worry about lying to your wife about where you're
going Friday anymore".:devil: :D

injuredinmelee
01-24-2008, 02:48 PM
damn we wee going to go check it out. My fiance loves that sort of stuff.

big daddy russ
01-24-2008, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
damn we wee going to go check it out. My fiance loves that sort of stuff.
I like your fiance already. :D

And my opinion: if their college-aged, I doubt their being "exploited." If you've ever been in a party town with college-aged women, you know that it's not that difficult to find loads of girls willing to shed some clothes.

SWMustang
01-24-2008, 04:41 PM

society has failed them

nobogey72
01-24-2008, 05:03 PM
Personally, I am very disappointed. I'm thinking that this event would have brought in a lot of people from out of town, which would stimulate the economy. My aunt Darlene (who previously was my uncle Darrel) is very disappointed too. He, I mean SHE was going to use the "Girls Gone Wild" thing as a sort of coming out party. You know, to see if her surgeon really did his job. She was thinking that this video could be the start of a new career for him, I mean her if she got good reviews. :D :D

Astrosdawg07
01-24-2008, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by nobogey72
Personally, I am very disappointed. I'm thinking that this event would have brought in a lot of people from out of town, which would stimulate the economy. My aunt Darlene (who previously was my uncle Darrel) is very disappointed too. He, I mean SHE was going to use the "Girls Gone Wild" thing as a sort of coming out party. You know, to see if her surgeon really did his job. She was thinking that this video could be the start of a new career for him, I mean her if she got good reviews. :D :D

Wow....:eek:

jason
01-24-2008, 05:14 PM
plenty of girls from Abilene have shown up in these videos. I remember a few years ago...one of the commericals had 3 seperate clips of girls I went to HS with!!! :eek: Sad times indeed! :( are they hot?

SWMustang
01-24-2008, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by jason
are they hot?

they're west texas girls - of course they were hot

nobogey72
01-24-2008, 05:21 PM
About 5 years ago, my cousin Pearl Jean had some plastic surgery done on her chest area (if you know what I mean), and everyone kept telling her that one of them was bigger than the other, but she didn't believe it. To prove they were perfect, she entered a wet T shirt contest. She came in 1st (with the right one) and 4th (with the left). :D :D :D

STANG RED
01-24-2008, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by nobogey72
About 5 years ago, my cousin Pearl Jean had some plastic surgery done on her chest area (if you know what I mean), and everyone kept telling her that one of them was bigger than the other, but she didn't believe it. To prove they were perfect, she entered a wet T shirt contest. She came in 1st (with the right one) and 4th (with the left). :D :D :D

:eek: I think I dated her. The smaller one was more sensitive, but I enjoyed the large one best. It stood out more from the belly rolls.:devil: :D

nobogey72
01-24-2008, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
:eek: I think I dated her. The smaller one was more sensitive, but I enjoyed the large one best. It stood out more from the belly rolls.:devil: :D

Yeah, that's kind of what most of her boyfriends say. Stang Red, I had people in the lobby asking me what was so funny when I busted out laughing reading your post. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Matthew328
01-24-2008, 08:00 PM
They are in Fort Worth today at Jaguars off Collins....

Jack_Daniels
01-24-2008, 10:40 PM
"Due to inclement weather in the region, the event was canceled," said Ronn Torossian, a spokesman for "Girls Gone Wild." "There are reports of heavy rain on Thursday and Friday in that region, and crew members were concerned."

Yeah a big rain. That did it. Luckily it don't rain much there huh?