PDA

View Full Version : Liberty Hill 1st Game Rumor.....

NastySlot
01-23-2008, 06:29 PM
spoke w/ a buddy of mine in the Hill Country and he told he had a source at a local high school that said they would be playing Liberty Hill to open the season...after a few teams had backed out of their early indication they would play.........this might fall through also since the two teams could end up in the same district...........................hints.......... ....team will be dropping a class........in the hill country.........i know they have a history of playing each other in other sports...mainly girls....about and hour and twenty min. drive.............this team has traditionally open with very tough teams in the past....4A semi-finalist...and also a 5A team a few years before that........traditionally a very solid program with a rep. of having kids that work hard dispite being the smaller school in their district.......................anyone know?

Hill Man
01-23-2008, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by NastySlot
spoke w/ a buddy of mine in the Hill Country and he told he had a source at a local high school that said they would be playing Liberty Hill to open the season...after a few teams had backed out of their early indication they would play.........this might fall through also since the two teams could end up in the same district...........................hints.......... ....team will be dropping a class........in the hill country.........i know they have a history of playing each other in other sports...mainly girls....about and hour and twenty min. drive.............this team has traditionally open with very tough teams in the past....4A semi-finalist...and also a 5A team a few years before that........traditionally a very solid program with a rep. of having kids that work hard dispite being the smaller school in their district.......................anyone know?

Rumor has been that Fredricksburg was dropping down to 3A

LH Panther Mom
01-23-2008, 06:53 PM
Fredericksburg? Beats me. The last I heard was we were looking for "several" games.

Panther One
01-23-2008, 07:04 PM
I think there was interest between the two schools in playing that dates back to last season. I then heard that Fredericksburg was reconsidering...back-to-back state champs will do that, I guess. But I have heard that there is interest once again, so we'll see. I wouldn't mind playing them. I'd like to throw some new opponents into the mix next year.

bobcat1
01-23-2008, 07:26 PM
Originally posted byLH Panther Mom

Fredericksburg? Beats me. The last I heard was we were looking for "several" games.
Hrummphff Hrrummphff :D :wave: :wave: :thumbsup:

Old Tiger
01-23-2008, 07:34 PM
I heard they were going to play the Miami Dolphins.

LH Panther Mom
01-23-2008, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by bobcat1
Hrummphff Hrrummphff :D :wave: :wave: :thumbsup:
Have your people call my people...... :p

bobcat1
01-23-2008, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom

I thought y'all were looking for games???? Call us. :D We can get games cause we never play anyone.

LH Panther Mom
01-23-2008, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by bobcat1
I thought y'all were looking for games???? Call us. :D We can get games cause we never play anyone.
:doh: :doh: Oh yeah.....maybe I should have my people call your people. :D

Old Tiger
01-23-2008, 08:13 PM
I'd like to see LH play WO-S

Blitzkrieg
01-23-2008, 08:53 PM
I guess some people are mad, :P (http://www.theoldcoach.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=61352)

ps, its a liberty hill topic and some people are mad bout liberty running up the score on them.

JR2004
01-23-2008, 09:56 PM

Tell Coach Vance to give Coach Johnson at Madison a call...We won't be able to beat y'all, but we're in need of several games. Lincoln is the only non-district game we have lined up.

Panther One
01-23-2008, 09:59 PM
Let's see...Rockdale, Carthage, Navasota, Gilmer...Those were all games that we took a knee inside the FIVE to end the game. If we were concerned about running up the score, those were definitely chances to do so.

Hutto: Up 38-0 at half. 52-7 final.
Taylor: Up 35-0 at half. 52-7 final.
Navasota: 41-14 at half. 48-14 final.

Again, if we were looking to run up the score, we could. What often goes unnoticed when we get big leads is the amount of playclock we use before snapping the ball and the type of plays we run. And unlike what some think, we do sub. Hutto, Taylor, and Pleasanton all scored their lone TDs on our backups. I'm not sure what some people want us to do. Pass? Take a knee on first and second down? People accused us of running it up on Gatesville last year, but when your backup RB scores on his first two touches, what are you supposed to do? When your opponent keeps turning it over, what are you supposed to do?

I agree with some of the posters on Old Coach. If you're going to call out a coaching staff, then back it up with your name and where you coached. Site specific examples. Otherwise, shut up and stop crying.

Panther One
01-23-2008, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
Tell Coach Vance to give Coach Johnson at Madison a call...We won't be able to beat y'all, but we're in need of several games. Lincoln is the only non-district game we have lined up.
Ideally, we'd like to find opponents that we can schedule a home-and-home with. Liberty-Eylau has offered to play us, but I'm not sure where that one stands. If it comes down to it, I guess we'll just have to play a bunch of neutral site games over the next two years since the only teams willing to play us are hundreds of miles away. I guess it'll just be like the playoffs. The problem there, however, is the subvarsity games. Then you're scraping to try to find local games for them to play.

JR2004
01-23-2008, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by Panther One
Ideally, we'd like to find opponents that we can schedule a home-and-home with.

We want that too, but no luck at all. We can't find any local games this time around outside of Lincoln and that's a game on the schedule every year no matter what. We're going to have to wind up playing some neutral site games just like y'all are probably going to have to do.

Centextrash
01-23-2008, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by Panther One
Ideally, we'd like to find opponents that we can schedule a home-and-home with. Liberty-Eylau has offered to play us, but I'm not sure where that one stands. If it comes down to it, I guess we'll just have to play a bunch of neutral site games over the next two years since the only teams willing to play us are hundreds of miles away. I guess it'll just be like the playoffs. The problem there, however, is the subvarsity games. Then you're scraping to try to find local games for them to play.

Another scheduling Problem is Also trying to schedule Jr High Games...

LH vs Madison would be an intresting match-up...so would Lh vs Celina...

solocam
01-23-2008, 10:53 PM
Coach Vance has no games sceduled as of this week
Liberty Hill will not play Burnet unless they are in our district

Texasfootball2
01-24-2008, 09:49 AM

Hey LH Panther Mom, Have your people call my people! (Abilene Wylie) Heck Liberty Hill is almost an hour closer to Abilene than Wimberely was and we made that drive. I think this would be a great early season matchup. Getting good non district games are getting more and more difficult, and now that Brownwood is dropping down and may be in our district we may lose that game also. Frenship has already informed our Coach that they will not be rescheduleing either. It's only about three hours to LH, around here thats considered just down the road.

LH Panther Mom
01-24-2008, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by Texasfootball2
Hey LH Panther Mom, Have your people call my people! (Abilene Wylie) Heck Liberty Hill is almost an hour closer to Abilene than Wimberely was and we made that drive. I think this would be a great early season matchup. Getting good non district games are getting more and more difficult, and now that Brownwood is dropping down and may be in our district we may lose that game also. Frenship has already informed our Coach that they will not be rescheduleing either. It's only about three hours to LH, around here thats considered just down the road.
I've heard that AW is one of the possibilities. My parents would probably be ecstatic since it's halfway for them and I'd bet they'd make the drive. :)

Texasfootball2
01-24-2008, 09:56 AM
I've heard that AW is one of the possibilities. My parents would probably be ecstatic since it's halfway for them and I'd bet they'd make the drive. :)

I hope this happens:thumbsup:

Daddy D 11
01-24-2008, 10:05 AM

heard the same thing. i heard something about giddings, but didnt know? i think we should challenge more spread teams. Granted, most every team now a days is a spead team, but facing the spread all year long really helped our defense come playoffs bc every week was the exact same thing. Probably contributed to our dominance:devil: :)

i say we force burnet to play us, get Wylie and LE, and Caldwells been beggin' for some...let em have it:D Then throw in Cuero and you're good to go. Lets stay ALL 3A with our scuedule.

NastySlot
01-24-2008, 10:33 AM
my buddy did tell me that fred and LH are talking about the first game..............as far people making the comments about LH running the score up............they run the ball....what are they to do...it's not like they pass the 50 plus times a game......the only LH scores that I have seen the past two seasons that make me even have the remote thought of them running it up would be the scores against gatesville......but i didn't see those games so i don't know what happen...could have been a lot defensive scores...special team scores ....turnovers leading to short fields....but other then that LH runs their system and they run it well.

Runnin Panther
01-24-2008, 10:55 AM
Talked to one of the coaches a few weeks ago and got the impression that Giddings and Cuero were a done deal. I guess something must have fell through. Would love to play Wylie, LE and Celina but one of my concerns is that our sub-varsity teams would have too many open weeks.

Also, with the new districting I bet LH is guaranteed to play Div II in the playoff so I would prefer all of our non district games to be against guaranteed Div I playoff teams. I don’t like playing teams twice.

It is frustrating local teams don’t want to play us!!!!!

trojan37
01-24-2008, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Centextrash
Another scheduling Problem is Also trying to schedule Jr High Games...

LH vs Madison would be an intresting match-up...so would Lh vs Celina...

I hope you aren't referring to Dallas Madison.:thinking:

Texasfootball2
01-24-2008, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Runnin Panther
Talked to one of the coaches a few weeks ago and got the impression that Giddings and Cuero were a done deal. I guess something must have fell through. Would love to play Wylie, LE and Celina but one of my concerns is that our sub-varsity teams would have too many open weeks.

Also, with the new districting I bet LH is guaranteed to play Div II in the playoff so I would prefer all of our non district games to be against guaranteed Div I playoff teams. I don’t like playing teams twice.

It is frustrating local teams don’t want to play us!!!!!

You are right about sub varsity games. Our Freshman and JV teams have had to make thurs. night trips to Frenship (3 hrs) and Iowa Park (2 1/2 hrs) the past couple of years. And it is totally frustrating when teams within 90 miles of you won't play you and they have the ability to service all sub varsity teams including your Junior High Teams. It's even more frustrating when some of these teams are 4A schools. Sometimes you don't have any choice. It's either drive or don't play. I think I heard a rumor that we could possibly be playing someone from the Austin area in the Gordon Wood Classic in Brownwood. Possibly LH or Burnet. Either would be fine with me and maybe pick up a home and home with the other.

Old Green
01-24-2008, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
heard the same thing. i heard something about giddings, but didnt know? i think we should challenge more spread teams. Granted, most every team now a days is a spead team, but facing the spread all year long really helped our defense come playoffs bc every week was the exact same thing. Probably contributed to our dominance:devil: :)

i say we force burnet to play us, get Wylie and LE, and Caldwells been beggin' for some...let em have it:D Then throw in Cuero and you're good to go. Lets stay ALL 3A with our scuedule. Sure hope Cuero does keep Liberty Hill on the schedule. I like this matchup. Win or lose a great game for both teams.

OldBison75
01-24-2008, 12:04 PM
Liberty Hill has not run up the score on anyone on purpose. In the Navasota Game this year, they used subs alot in the second half, especially lineman. They did not throw a single pass, and they ran thier basic offense, no tricks. The plays they ran continued to be successful because they are taught to give 100 % all the time. They kicked our butts at the line of scrimmage and the running backs ran until tackled. They did not just fall down. I respect the game they played--they impressed enough without making more scores than necessary. Don't accuse them of running up the score, especially with the class program they are.

Panther One
01-24-2008, 12:52 PM
...the only LH scores that I have seen the past two seasons that make me even have the remote thought of them running it up would be the scores against gatesville......but i didn't see those games so i don't know what happen...could have been a lot defensive scores...special team scores ....turnovers leading to short fields...

Here's how the Gatesville game played out in '06:

1st Quarter:
GATESVILLE: PUNT
LH: sustained drive, TOUCHDOWN, 7-0, 5:51
GATESVILLE: FUMBLE, first play at own 34
LH: TOUCHDOWN, 14-0, 4:55
GATESVILLE: returned KO to LH 20, FIELDGOAL, 14-3, 4:25
LH: driving...

2nd Quarter:
LH: TOUCHDOWN, 21-3, 11:51
GATESVILLE: drives, TOD at LH 25
LH: 75 yds first play, TOUCHDOWN, 28-3, 8:06
GATESVILLE: drives out to midfield, PUNT
LH: blocked punted returned for TOUCHDOWN, 35-3, 3:47
GATESVILLE: PUNT
LH: PUNT, Halftime...

3rd Quarter:
LH: FUMBLE at own 35
GATESVILLE: INT on first play returned to midfield
LH: short drive, TOUCHDOWN, 42-3, 9:46
GATESVILLE: second play, FUMBLE
LH: fumble return for TOUCHDOWN, 49-3, 8:52
GATESVILLE: FUMBLE on KO at own 34
LH: short drive, TOUCHDOWN, 56-3, 7:27
GATESVILLE: drive...FUMBLE at LH 29
LH: drives, TOUCHDOWN, 63-3, 2:57
GATESVILLE: first play, INT, returned to the two (penalty takes it back to the 20)
(LH's backup linemen are now in and we're working the playclock)
LH: driving...

4th Quarter:
LH: TOUCHDOWN, 70-3, 11:27
(LH has backups in on defense now)
GATESVILLE: drives, TOUCHDOWN, 70-10, 8:54
(backups in at RB now...these are defensive starters)
LH: first play, backup RB for 65 yds, TOUCHDOWN 77-10, 7:49
GATESVILLE: 1st play, FUMBLE at own 27
(using a running clock now)
LH: 3rd play TOUCHDOWN, 84-10, 2:34 and ticking...
GATESVILLE: one play...BALLGAME

So Gatesville had five fumbles, one returned for a td, threw two INTs, and had a punt blocked for a TD. Every possession of theirs in the 3rd ended in a turnover.

This season, Gatesville was just bad. They had 68 total yards, and punted 10 times. Both teams had 3 turnovers, so it wasn't like last year. Gatesville was playing with a little extra motivation and was actually up 7-0 after the first and the halftime score was only 21-7. They ran out of steam in the second half, though, and it got ugly. Again, we subbed, or could have easily put 84 on them again.

NastySlot
01-24-2008, 01:26 PM
thanks for the info...on the gatesville game...........i have seen liberty hill play twice in the past 5 years...but not within the last two......saw a good game in which they lost to burnet on a last second two point con. stop in LH.........and saw them pound i think Lytle in the playoffs................................just spoke with my buddy.........fred. v. LH.......zero week.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
01-24-2008, 02:14 PM
Give Monty Stumbaugh down in Port Isabel a call! I'd love to see PI stop the Slot-T again :D .....and also give Liberty Hill an opportunity for some payback from when Port Isabel beat 'em back in 03.

NastySlot
01-24-2008, 02:19 PM
hey i have an idea...saw on another board a team from california was looking to come to texas to play...they had been to hawaii, washington and texas before and wanted to come back...........liberty hill could kick the crud out them.

SpeedOption
01-25-2008, 12:10 PM
Filling all you sub-varsity teams is tough. That is a key. I dont know how Wimberly did it the last 2 years with all the travel they did and the people thay played. Coach Nelms does a great job. I tried to see the sub-varsity schedules from the school web site but they wont load.

NastySlot
01-25-2008, 12:34 PM
i think wimberley ended up picking up games with fred. a san antonio area school and i think canyon lake..........with all the the travel that teams do it gives the sub varsity different schedules to follow then that of the varsity....wimberley is lucky enough to be in an area where a lot of schools field two jv's and 2-3 freshmen teams...so they could pick up games.

Panther One
01-25-2008, 12:35 PM
Here's Wimberley's schedule. On the Middle School level, it helped that they were in a 4 team district with other teams scambling for games because they were able to play Llano and Bandera twice. Being located between SA and Austin is very beneficial, as well, as it gives you a better chance to find someone in the area with openings. They did a good job of finding games.

http://www.wimberley.txed.net/pdf/hs/sports/07allfbsched.pdf

SpeedOption
01-25-2008, 12:36 PM
Yeah but everyone isnt that lucky. Its a huge factor with travel.

NastySlot
01-25-2008, 12:37 PM
man you just beat me to it. i was about to post the link.

Texasfootball2
01-25-2008, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by SpeedOption
Filling all you sub-varsity teams is tough. That is a key. I dont know how Wimberly did it the last 2 years with all the travel they did and the people thay played. Coach Nelms does a great job. I tried to see the sub-varsity schedules from the school web site but they wont load.

Coach Sandifer at Wylie had the same problem with sub varsity and junior high schedules. Our JV and Freshman actually made every trip except for when we played Wimberely. Some of our teams were able to pick up games with Abilene High and Cooper sub varsity teams because of their open dates. Our junior highs were a different story. Thank goodness Sandifer and Freeman (@ Brownwood) are buddies. Our junior high and freshman B teams will play at least twice if not three times. It's better than not playing at all. Graham's numbers also allow them to play some extra junior high and sub varsity games. I think for Wylie the problem is going to get worse, before it gets better. I know Liberty Hill, Wimberely, and some others are having the same problem. Good 2A's will have nothing to do with scheduling, and 4A's avoid you completely. I think and "hope" that in the future we will see non district games between teams like LH and Wylie, or Celina and Wylie. These teams usually will be Div 2 so theres not much chance of them normally meeting in the playoffs.

NastySlot
01-25-2008, 12:43 PM
the junior high problem could be often solved if a.d's would just form conferences for jh's only....they play 8-9 games and they do not have the same district as the varsity.........for instance wylie could be in the same district as the abliene jr. highs.........i know brenham jr. highs are in a conference with college station and bryan...i think waller may also be in it.....travel on school nights should be taking into consideration for the younger teams.

NastySlot
01-25-2008, 03:06 PM
the junior high problem could be often solved if a.d's would just form conferences for jh's only....they play 8-9 games and they do not have the same district as the varsity.........for instance wylie could be in the same district as the abliene jr. highs.........i know brenham jr. highs are in a conference with college station and bryan...i think waller may also be in it.....travel on school nights should be taking into consideration for the younger teams.

let me put it a little better....jr highs do not have to have the same districts as varsity's....nothing in uil handbook says they do.

SpeedOption
01-27-2008, 12:32 PM
You want your sub varsity teams to play the same teams as your varsity.

NastySlot
01-28-2008, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by SpeedOption
You want your sub varsity teams to play the same teams as your varsity.

Why?

Daddy D 11
01-28-2008, 10:44 AM
Why?

i thought the same thing

gato 76
01-28-2008, 12:18 PM
Liberty Hill vs Bay City that would be a very ball game.This would be better this year we return 8 starters on defense.