PDA

View Full Version : Letterman jackets

CheerMom
01-23-2008, 03:48 PM
Since my daughter is out of high school she no longer wears her letterman jacket. Does anyone have any creative ideas on what we can do with it? I thought about having a quilt made with the patches but I don't know of anyone who could do this for me. Any suggestions??

coach
01-23-2008, 04:04 PM
frame it

44INAROW
01-23-2008, 04:05 PM
I've seen some "shadow boxes" done with the Letterman Jackets - also had some medals etc in it as well. I am not a crafty person so I have no imagination in that area - but if you talk to a "frame person" I bet they'd have some good ideas..... it is a shame to have it sit in a closet and collect dust :(

olddawggreen
01-23-2008, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by CheerMom
Since my daughter is out of high school she no longer wears her letterman jacket. Does anyone have any creative ideas on what we can do with it? I thought about having a quilt made with the patches but I don't know of anyone who could do this for me. Any suggestions??

My son graduated in 2005 and hasn't worn his letter jacket since, but last month I actually ordered a football patch and baseball patch that he hadn't ordered, and had them put on the jacket. I didn't really do it for him, at this time he could care less. I did it for the day that he has kids. Thats when it will really mean something to him and his kids.:)

pirate4state
01-23-2008, 04:08 PM
The quilt idea is cool, but I bet that would be alot of work.

Aside from putting it in a shadow box I have no idea what you would use it for.

Every once in awhile my mom will wear mine. LOL. Old people don't care! :p :D

SpeedOption
01-23-2008, 04:41 PM
Dont gain weight. You might wanna put it on when your old lol. Yeah mine still fits. NOT

footballgal
01-23-2008, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by SpeedOption
Dont gain weight. You might wanna put it on when your old lol. Yeah mine still fits. NOT Lol! yeah mine fits me a little snug ;)

ok buttons don't close all the way.:D

Maroon87
01-23-2008, 06:50 PM
Mine's still in the closet at my parents' house.

Z motion 10 out on 2
01-23-2008, 07:09 PM
I graduated in 1988 and I can't even get an arm in mine. I was a receiver in high school and now I would be a TE or Full Back!

Old Tiger
01-23-2008, 07:19 PM
put it in the corner of a closet never to be worn again. But keep it so that she can remember back to her HS days and all of those memories.

Bull19
01-23-2008, 07:27 PM
i can proudly count on one finger how many times i wore my letterman. i can also say with pride its at my parents house in the closet. (or maybe the attic)

i might have worn it more but i ordered it during the end of my freshman year and that summer i grew about 3 in and needless to say the sleeves were wwwaaaayyy too short. so yea....

Old Tiger
01-23-2008, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by Bull19
i can proudly count on one finger how many times i wore my letterman. i can also say with pride its at my parents house in the closet. (or maybe the attic)

i might have worn it more but i ordered it during the end of my freshman year and that summer i grew about 3 in and needless to say the sleeves were wwwaaaayyy too short. so yea.... I ordered mine my soph. year and got it kind of big luckily i only grew into it instead of out growing it. Sadly that growth spurt wasn't that much :(

FutureAD
01-23-2008, 10:40 PM
mine still sits in my closet havent worn it since i graduated...could buy a few more patches if i wanted but figure i wouldnt waste the money...

Matthew328
01-23-2008, 10:45 PM
My little sis lost mine :(

Johnny 5
01-24-2008, 01:04 AM
I graduated in 1998. I still wear mine :D

It helps, though, that I work at the school that I graduated from ;)

CheerMom
01-24-2008, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
I've seen some "shadow boxes" done with the Letterman Jackets - also had some medals etc in it as well. I am not a crafty person so I have no imagination in that area - but if you talk to a "frame person" I bet they'd have some good ideas..... it is a shame to have it sit in a closet and collect dust :(

Ok, I'm going to ask a stupid question.....do you put the entire jacket in a shadow box or just take the patches off and use them? :doh:

jason
01-24-2008, 09:45 AM
how come some of yall are saying 'i ordered mine' - and freshman and sophomore years?

did you not have to actually letter in a varsity sport to get it?

i lettered in basketball my sophomore year and our coach bought them for us...

Ranger Mom
01-24-2008, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by jason
how come some of yall are saying 'i ordered mine' - and freshman and sophomore years?

did you not have to actually letter in a varsity sport to get it?

i lettered in basketball my sophomore year and our coach bought them for us...

Ashton got hers her Sophomore year, but it still had to be ordered, we just didn't have to pay for it.....the patches we had to buy!

44INAROW
01-24-2008, 09:49 AM
Ok, I'm going to ask a stupid question.....do you put the entire jacket in a shadow box or just take the patches off and use them? :doh:

the one I saw had the entire jacket in it - it is a BIG shadow box.. :)

CheerMom
01-24-2008, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Ashton got hers her Sophomore year, but it still had to be ordered, we just didn't have to pay for it.....the patches we had to buy!

Same here. My daughter got hers her Freshman year, the jacket is paid for by the school along with the letter on the front. All the other patches you had to buy on your own.

CheerMom
01-24-2008, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
the one I saw had the entire jacket in it - it is a BIG shadow box.. :)

Thanks.... ;)

jason
01-24-2008, 09:59 AM
so they just give them out if you play a sport, whether or not its varsity??

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Ranger Mom
01-24-2008, 10:00 AM

Not here....you had to be on a varsity team!

LH Panther Mom
01-24-2008, 10:01 AM
Not here....you had to be on a varsity team!
Same here.... :)

jason
01-24-2008, 10:04 AM
Not here....you had to be on a varsity team! what varsity sport did she play her freshman year?

Ranger Mom
01-24-2008, 10:08 AM
what varsity sport did she play her freshman year?

LOL!! You know Ashton, she wasn't into sports....BUT, she was a trainer the entire time she was in High School....so that counted!! :D

Needless to say, she doesn't wear her jacket anymore either!!

Mace Griffin
01-24-2008, 10:15 AM
I have nothing against band it just bothers me when Freshman are wearing letter jackets around that they got because they lettered in band. In most cases all you have to do is be in band while other people have to make there way up the ladder through freshman in jv in the stuff they letter in.

jason
01-24-2008, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Mace Griffin
I have nothing against band it just bothers me when Freshman are wearing letter jackets around that they got because they lettered in band. In most cases all you have to do is be in band while other people have to make there way up the ladder through freshman in jv in the stuff they letter in. our school had different band jackets - thank god...

Mace Griffin
01-24-2008, 10:20 AM
our school had different band jackets - thank god... wish we did we always had bandies walking around wearing the same letter jackets as everyone else. Half the time some lowly kid noone knew in the band had more patches then the star football or basketball player.

Ranger Mom
01-24-2008, 10:20 AM
No Freshman get letterman's jackets at our school. You have to complete an entire year on varsity, and then it's not even ordered til Spring of your Sophomore year...so by that time, lots of have on varsity for almost 2 years.

Most get them their Junior year, it seems!

Mace Griffin
01-24-2008, 10:21 AM
No Freshman get letterman's jackets at our school. You have to complete an entire year on varsity, and then it's not even ordered til Spring of your Sophomore year...so by that time, lots of have on varsity for almost 2 years.

Most get them their Junior year, it seems! it was the same at my school i meant to say sophmore year. The earliest you can get it is like spring of your sophmore year (if you lettered in the fall) or you get it fall of your jr year (if you lettered in the spring)

jason
01-24-2008, 10:23 AM
i know i lettered in varsity my sophomore year, i played the whole year on varsity, played in every game...and i got my jacket in the fall of the next year...

i think my mom has it somewhere at their house....

CheerMom
01-24-2008, 10:27 AM

No you have to play a varsity sport. If they play a varsity sport their freshman year, they can receive their jacket in the spring of their freshman year. My daughter was on 2 varsity teams her freshman year.

kaorder1999
01-24-2008, 10:28 AM
No you have to play a varsity sport. If they play a varsity sport their freshman year, they can receive their jacket in the spring of their freshman year. My daughter was on 2 varsity teams her freshman year.

hmm...interesting. Usually they have the fittings in the spring and it takes a while to get the jackets in. Yalls school works fast

CheerMom
01-24-2008, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
hmm...interesting. Usually they have the fittings in the spring and it takes a while to get the jackets in. Yalls school works fast

I think they measured for them in late February and then received them like in April. Kids that played late spring sports had to wait until the Fall to order theirs. My daughter's sports were over by the time they measured.