PDA

View Full Version : Big Bend National Park ...

Gobbler Fan
01-21-2008, 03:37 PM
Anyone been Hiking there ? If so what are the "Don't miss this" hikes ?

I/We will have roughly 5 day's of Peace/Camping/Hiking in March with the Family. First time going to Big bend and looking for a few suggestions . We have a rough outline of what we want to see/do but it's not set in stone .

:cool:

TexDad
01-21-2008, 05:03 PM
Lost Mine Trail 4.8 miles
round trip Medium difficulty. Self-guiding booklet available at trailhead. Beginning at Panther Pass on the Basin Road, this trail serves as an excellent introduction to the plants and animals of the High Chisos Mountains. It starts at 5600' elevation and leads upward along the northern slope of Casa Grande to a promontory high on the ridge separating Pine and Juniper Canyons. If you have limited time, hike only to the Juniper Canyon Overlook, 1 mile from the trailhead, for one of the finest views in the park.

I did this a few years back, I remember it was pretty awesome.

AP Panther Fan
01-21-2008, 05:19 PM
We go every other year or so, however, we take our 4 wheelers and stay outside of the park.

You need to check out LaJitas (http://www.roadsideamerica.com/attract/TXLAJgoat.html) just for fun. You go into the general store and buy two Lone Stars (one for you and one for Clay Henry III):D

IHStangFan
01-21-2008, 11:46 PM
The Window....its a must. Then if you have time (and they still run the trips) take a rafting trip, possibly down Santa Elena Canyon. Lajitas is cool, but it's not what it used to be. It's an upscale resort now, but back in the day it was a mexican trading post on the US side and was quite an experience. The mayor of Lajitas is a beer drinking goat by the name of Clay Henry III. Go have a beer w/ him and talk politics, I guarantee he'll be all ears. Terlingua Ranch is always fun, and don't forget the Terlingua "ghost town" go have a beer at the Starlight Theatre. Been goin out to that part of the country since I was about 8. We used to do family ATV rides on the ranch twice each year. Very fun. All of the old mines and whatnot are closed off in this day and age, but way back when it led to days of exploring and whatnot. Miss it out there.

AP Panther Fan
01-22-2008, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
All of the old mines and whatnot are closed off in this day and age, but way back when it led to days of exploring and whatnot. Miss it out there.

Note to GobblerFan...do not go into mineshafts without a flashlight...we found a mine about 10 years ago that wasn't closed. It is a long 80 mile trip to Alpine and the nearest hospital. Big Bend is fun, but can also be a dangerous place if you aren't careful.