PDA

View Full Version : 2008 preseason softball rankings?

trojan37
01-19-2008, 02:04 PM
Can anyone tell me where I can find the 2008 preseason softball rankings for 3A? I have searched everywhere and have come up with nothing, unless it's just not out yet.

pirate4state
01-19-2008, 02:13 PM
the only poll that i know of you can find HERE (http://www.austintgca.com/), but it doesn't look like they have theirs up yet

NastySlot
01-19-2008, 05:41 PM
too soon yet but my money would be on Medina Valley to be the preseason Number 1.

Old Tiger
01-19-2008, 05:42 PM
Will West Columbia be good again? La Grange?

Giddings should be top 5.

FutureAD
01-19-2008, 05:44 PM
Sinton returns all alot...though they have a new coach...hopefully she can keep them on top of their game...

Old Tiger
01-19-2008, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by FutureAD
Sinton returns all alot...though they have a new coach...hopefully she can keep them on top of their game... New coaches are always tough because the chemistry isn't there with the girls but they should be fully ready by playoffs/district.

FutureAD
01-19-2008, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
New coaches are always tough because the chemistry isn't there with the girls but they should be fully ready by playoffs/district.

ya your exactly right...the girls at sinton loved their ex coach and hated seeing him go so itll be interesting to see what happens this year...

trojan37
01-19-2008, 07:02 PM
I'm hoping West can do good again. Finished last year with a trip to the state semi's, losing to Burkburnett. We only had 2 seniors last year, my niece and Jordan Vanatta, who has moved on to Baylor. I think there was only 3 juniors on that team as well, being mainly loaded with freshmen and sophomores. Our girls finished being ranked in the top 3 and we had 3A coach of the year.

buff4life
01-19-2008, 07:14 PM

Giddings lost NO starters...and gained two experienced freshman...

CHSfan
01-19-2008, 08:52 PM
i have no idea how we will do this year cuero lost alot of good players last year and the fallons...we still have coach bone that was there last year and 2 new coaches....hopeing for the best

Phil C
01-20-2008, 05:54 PM
I hated to lose our Coach in Sinton softball last year but I think that we got a good one coming on that will win everyone over.

piratebg
01-20-2008, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by FutureAD
the girls at sinton loved their ex coach

I know what happened last year was just a big freakin mess, but can anyone other than me see the humor in this comment? :D

eagles_victory
01-20-2008, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by piratebg
I know what happened last year was just a big freakin mess, but can anyone other than me see the humor in this comment? :D I was going to make a comment but i had to hold back i laughed so hard when i read what he put

FutureAD
01-21-2008, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by piratebg
I know what happened last year was just a big freakin mess, but can anyone other than me see the humor in this comment? :D

haha you know that is not what i meant...but i see what your saying...

FutureAD
01-21-2008, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
I was going to make a comment but i had to hold back i laughed so hard when i read what he put

i thought about that before i put that but i was hoping yall would really know what i meant...lol

necks
01-21-2008, 02:26 PM
Carthage should be very strong with the best pitcher in East Texas.

FutureAD
01-21-2008, 02:40 PM
sinton will have strong pitching...the ace pitcher has been on varsity since freshman year

Reds fan
01-22-2008, 12:44 PM
2008 softball should be another interesting year... Of the teams I have watched over the last few years Giddings returns probably the most potent group of young ladies.

Word has it that Needville will be very tough this year and I would also expect Columbus to fair well in the tough D24. Sealy, Wharton, West Columbia and Sweeny are always in the mix.

D23 Bellville has a new coach and is returning a solid bunch of players from last season, but will have to find a way to fill in for the graduated Luetge ( now playing for Sam Houston) and find a way to beat Giddings. La Grange always fields a tough team, Navasota and Caldwell, although Spittler has moved on to TAMU, can cause some commotion in this district.

Hope all the young ladies have a safe and productive season.

pirate4state
01-22-2008, 12:58 PM
I think Medina Valley lost 1 starting senior (catcher, I believe) from the team that won state last year. They should be the favorite, but that was the case the year before with West Columbia and they didn't make it out of Region III.

Marion had a young team last year (Region finalist) but will have to replace Becca Hay.

Sinton returns 6 starters from last years team. Lost 2 outfielders and 3rd base. Have already lost one pitcher, but have some promising underclassman to fill the spots. Replacing the speed in the outfield is gonna be key, IMO.

First scrimmage is next Tuesday in Rockport.

NastySlot
01-22-2008, 01:32 PM
MV will be loaded.........they lost their shortstop...return the other eight starters and their pitching staff.

Bull19
01-22-2008, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by Reds fan
2008 softball should be another interesting year... Of the teams I have watched over the last few years Giddings returns probably the most potent group of young ladies.

Word has it that Needville will be very tough this year and I would also expect Columbus to fair well in the tough D24. Sealy, Wharton, West Columbia and Sweeny are always in the mix.

D23 Bellville has a new coach and is returning a solid bunch of players from last season, but will have to find a way to fill in for the graduated Luetge ( now playing for Sam Houston) and find a way to beat Giddings. La Grange always fields a tough team, Navasota and Caldwell, although Spittler has moved on to TAMU, can cause some commotion in this district.

Hope all the young ladies have a safe and productive season.

I THOUGHT LUETGE WAS AT SFASU?

trojan37
01-22-2008, 05:13 PM
Wasn't Medina Valley's pitcher player of the year last year? Her and the pitcher from Burkburnett were awesome, although the BB pitcher might have graduated.

Reds fan
01-22-2008, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by Bull19

Bull19, you are correct....Luetge is at SFA! My apologies.

pirate4state
01-23-2008, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by trojan37
Wasn't Medina Valley's pitcher player of the year last year? Her and the pitcher from Burkburnett were awesome, although the BB pitcher might have graduated. I don't remember, but both of MV's pitchers are juniors this year!! :eek: :eek:

NastySlot
01-24-2008, 11:54 AM
both MV pitchers are juniors and i believe they have freshman to give support...........hey bellville has a new coach again wasn't the last coach only there for about 2 years.........is Ross A....still an adminstrator there?

Reds fan
01-24-2008, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by NastySlot
both MV pitchers are juniors and i believe they have freshman to give support...........hey bellville has a new coach again wasn't the last coach only there for about 2 years.........is Ross A....still an adminstrator there?

Yes on both counts.

BwdLion_80
01-24-2008, 03:03 PM
Did Sinton play Halletsville about 2-3 years ago in the reg. semi's in San Antonio?

pirate4state
01-24-2008, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by BwdLion_80
Did Sinton play Halletsville about 2-3 years ago in the reg. semi's in San Antonio? Yes

trojan37
01-24-2008, 08:43 PM
Here's the 3A player of the year last year from MV. I'm almost positive she was the pitcher.

2007 player of the year (http://www.austintgca.com/sball/allstars.cfm)

pirate4state
01-24-2008, 09:26 PM
Here's the 3A player of the year last year from MV. I'm almost positive she was the pitcher.

2007 player of the year (http://www.austintgca.com/sball/allstars.cfm)

Nope, she was the SS. She was the only senior on the team last year!!! :eek: :eek: Watched them play Llano in Kerrville. Llano should also do well, they only had 2 seniors on their team last year.

BwdLion_80
01-24-2008, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Yes

I was one of the umpires. I called the plate in the 2nd game. If I remember correctly, Sinton won that series 2-1.

pirate4state
01-24-2008, 10:14 PM
I was one of the umpires. I called the plate in the 2nd game. If I remember correctly, Sinton won that series 2-1. Ouch that 2nd game was ugly! Yes, we won the series. Won that first game by a run, lost the 2nd game by 4 or 5 runs :eek: and won the 3rd game by 5 :D good times ;)

BwdLion_80
01-25-2008, 06:14 AM
Ouch that 2nd game was ugly! Yes, we won the series. Won that first game by a run, lost the 2nd game by 4 or 5 runs :eek: and won the 3rd game by 5 :D good times ;)

The best I remember, the Halletsville people were not very friendly. As a matter of fact, they were down right ugly. Their coach was not very knowledgable of the game either. She questioned just about every call in every game.

buff4ever
01-25-2008, 09:17 AM
The giddings girls are ready to romp on some people in softball. Another good season ahead of them.

pirate4state
01-25-2008, 12:45 PM
The best I remember, the Halletsville people were not very friendly. As a matter of fact, they were down right ugly. Their coach was not very knowledgable of the game either. She questioned just about every call in every game.

I think I remember the games lasting forever because of her constant questioning. LOL ;)

Reds fan
01-25-2008, 07:23 PM
This weather must be taking a chunk out of practice time for the girls this week! Hope it clears up soon for them.

zebrablue2
01-25-2008, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by buff4ever
The giddings girls are ready to romp on some people in softball. Another good season ahead of them.

Giddings will be VERY-- VERY-- strong this year.

Old Tiger
01-25-2008, 08:58 PM
I think Rockdale will be down this year.

Reds fan
01-29-2008, 12:58 PM
Here's the TGCA 3A Preseason Poll:

Conference 3A

1 Medina Valley
2 Burkburnett
3 Huntington
4 Kennedale
5 Splendora
6 Bridge City
7 West
8 Orangefield
9 Clyde
10 Giddings

pirate4state
01-29-2008, 02:25 PM
Here's the TGCA 3A Preseason Poll:

Conference 3A

1 Medina Valley
2 Burkburnett
3 Huntington
4 Kennedale
5 Splendora
6 Bridge City
7 West
8 Orangefield
9 Clyde
10 Giddings

Thanks Red. I know Kennedale has had some success in the past, but I'm real surprised by their ranking considering their pretty young & inexperienced or maybe I'm not! Everything else looks real good.

Old Tiger
01-29-2008, 04:00 PM
as usual is ranked high because of reputation.

trojan37
01-29-2008, 04:36 PM
Hopefully we will blast Kennedale again this year. We suffered a big loss with our pitcher/power hitter gone to Baylor now, but still plenty of fire left in the bats to make another run at it.

trojan37
01-29-2008, 04:41 PM
I checked out all of the polls and 4 Waco area schools are represented in 4 different classifications in the preseason polls with Bosqueville ranked #1 in 1A, Troy #2 in 2A, West #7 in 3A and Waco Midway #10 in 4A. Wow!

pirate4state
01-29-2008, 04:43 PM
I checked out all of the polls and 4 Waco area schools are represented in 4 different classifications in the preseason polls with Bosqueville ranked #1 in 1A, Troy #2 in 2A, West #7 in 3A and Waco Midway #10 in 4A. Wow! That area is always pretty strong, right? I seem to remember the Waco 12 & under or 14 & under being in the LLWS like every single year!! :eek: Kudos to those girls!! :clap:

trojan37
01-29-2008, 07:03 PM
That area is always pretty strong, right? I seem to remember the Waco 12 & under or 14 & under being in the LLWS like every single year!! :eek: Kudos to those girls!! :clap:

Midway is good year in and year out. They also have an outstanding volleyball program. A lot of these girls play softball all year, with fall ball, school, and summer ball, playing on select squads. I also made a mistake with Troy, who is actually ranked #1 as well.

Reds fan
01-30-2008, 04:50 PM

WC should be a good team, they return a lot of talent and are year in and out a solid well coached group.
La Grange should also compete for a playoff spot, solid hitting team and good speed.

Agreed, Giddings @ #10 doesn't add up to me either, should be in top 5.

Any word on '07 D 24 Champs Sealy?

pirateman98
01-30-2008, 11:14 PM
Would it be wrong of me to say that I think that Sinton should be ranked in the top 10?!?!? I can't say that I ain't a little shocked!!!

FutureAD
01-31-2008, 12:10 AM
ya i thought so to but probably because they have a new coach and the loss of some seniors kept them out...

trojan37
01-31-2008, 03:57 AM
WC should be a good team, they return a lot of talent and are year in and out a solid well coached group.
La Grange should also compete for a playoff spot, solid hitting team and good speed.

Agreed, Giddings @ #10 doesn't add up to me either, should be in top 5.

Any word on '07 D 24 Champs Sealy?

Kennedale at #4 doesn't make any sense either. We gave em a spankin twice last year, we only lost 2 seniors, and they have us at #7.:thinking:

Reds fan
01-31-2008, 11:45 AM
Kennedale at #4 doesn't make any sense either. We gave em a spankin twice last year, we only lost 2 seniors, and they have us at #7.:thinking:

TGCA can only go by last years playoff results and the info coaches and fans choose to send him about this years teams to base his poll numbers. The poll usually gets a little more accurate as the season progresses.

It would be nice to see some other polls for softball but I don't know of any others for the entire state. There are locals for Houston area, Rio Grande Valley, Austin etc.

Perhaps Coach Hicks could get one started on his Texas Prep Softball site...he does a great job there.

lakers
01-31-2008, 12:23 PM
I am looking forward to seeing Clyde have another successful season this year after a disappointing loss to Burk last year....

They are returning a lot of talent...

txkmom
01-31-2008, 12:47 PM
Liberty Eylau returns almost all their softball starters, but their primary pitcher will be in basketball through whatever playoff run they make. Last year, basketball made it to the state semi's, but we lost several to graduation and how far they will go this year is unpredictable - we have only 3 seniors, the rest playing varsity are juniors, sophs and frosh. As far as softball goes, we all have high hopes after last year's disappointments at the plate. We have quite a few seniors on the softball team.

pirate4state
01-31-2008, 02:06 PM
TGCA can only go by last years playoff results and the info coaches and fans choose to send him about this years teams to base his poll numbers. The poll usually gets a little more accurate as the season progresses.

It would be nice to see some other polls for softball but I don't know of any others for the entire state. There are locals for Houston area, Rio Grande Valley, Austin etc.

Perhaps Coach Hicks could get one started on his Texas Prep Softball site...he does a great job there.

You got that right Reds Fan about TGCA. While I appreciate what he puts together, the #4 spot really stood out.

Pirateman98 - Sinton not being ranked in the top 10 is no skin off my nose! I prefer it this way. :) There are alot of unknowns with a new coach in place.

txkmom - good luck to TLE!!! Hope to see you down the road. ;)

Reds fan
02-04-2008, 04:40 PM
You got that right Reds Fan about TGCA. While I appreciate what he puts together, the #4 spot really stood out.

Pirateman98 - Sinton not being ranked in the top 10 is no skin off my nose! I prefer it this way. :) There are alot of unknowns with a new coach in place.

txkmom - good luck to TLE!!! Hope to see you down the road. ;)

Well, I guess after a few more reports came in TGCA changed the preseason poll a little, here's how it appears as of today Feb 4 w/ last weeks rank to the side:

1. Medina Valley #1
2. Huntington #3
3. Splendora # 5
4. Bridge City #6
5. Burkburnett #2
6. Prosper NR
7. Giddings #10
8. Silsbee NR
9. Clyde #9
10. Marion NR

So without a game played, Orangefield, Kennedale and West fall out:confused:

Again, not knocking TGCA, but would be nice to have other polls.

pirate4state
02-04-2008, 06:07 PM
Well, I guess after a few more reports came in TGCA changed the preseason poll a little, here's how it appears as of today Feb 4 w/ last weeks rank to the side:

1. Medina Valley #1
2. Huntington #3
3. Splendora # 5
4. Bridge City #6
5. Burkburnett #2
6. Prosper NR
7. Giddings #10
8. Silsbee NR
9. Clyde #9
10. Marion NR

Let's send some stats (off the charts) to this guy for like the worst (haven't won a game in 2 years or something like that) softball program out there and see what he does!!! :devil: :evillol: ;)

Reds fan
02-04-2008, 06:27 PM
Let's send some stats (off the charts) to this guy for like the worst (haven't won a game in 2 years or something like that) softball program out there and see what he does!!! :devil: :evillol: ;)

That would be fun; but as you stated before some teams prefer to remain "under the radar" for various reasons.

Good luck to the Lady Pirates this season! Also, looking forward to the possibility of new playoff opponents in Reg. IV next year.

S_Tex_3A_Fan
02-04-2008, 06:29 PM
New coaches are always tough because the chemistry isn't there with the girls but they should be fully ready by playoffs/district.

The last one had a little too much chemistry

LHSEagleFan
02-04-2008, 11:31 PM
you can check poll at www.austintgca.com/sball/poll.cfm

Old Tiger
02-04-2008, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by S_Tex_3A_Fan
The last one had a little too much chemistry So I've heard. :D

yoemenkracker30
02-04-2008, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by Bull19

she might be, i know for a fact she's not here at sam

pirate4state
02-14-2008, 11:22 AM

1. Medina Valley #1
2. Huntington #3
3. Splendora # 5
4. Bridge City #6
5. Burkburnett #2
6. Prosper NR
7. Giddings #10
8. Silsbee NR
9. Clyde #9
10. Marion NR

This week's rankings:

1. Medina Valley
2. Huntington
3. Splendora
4. Bridge City
5. Burkburnett
6. Prosper
7. Giddings
8. Clyde
9. Marion
10. Kennedale

Well, Silsbee droppped out & Kennedale is back after only 1 game. :) ;)

trojan37
02-14-2008, 01:06 PM
The person doing this poll must be smoking crack! There's been more changes in this poll, without anyone hardly playing a game, than most polls see in a whole season. How can you put Kennedale back in after playing 1 game? Either they are a top 10 team or they're not, make up your mind mr. pollster!