PDA

View Full Version : Anonymous Donor Donates 50K To Hutto HS In Memory Of Former Student/Soldier

ILS1
01-19-2008, 10:40 AM
An anonymous donor gave the Hutto Independent School District $50,000 toward the construction of a field house in memory of a Hutto High School graduate killed in Iraq.

Thursday night the district's board of trustees voted to approve a resolution to name the new field house the Kile G. West Memorial Fieldhouse.
West's parents were present during the meeting. Boys Athletic Director Lee Penland and Girls Athletic Director Janiece Nelson stood behind West's parents as the resolution was read by Superintendent David Borrer.

“Whereas, the generous anonymous donor and the Hutto ISD Board, employees and citizens of Hutto desire to honor the life, service and ultimate sacrifice of First Lieutenant Kile G. West for his country by naming the new fieldhouse in his honor Š,” the resolution states.

West participated in football, track, baseball and power lifting while he attended HHS. He graduated in 2001.

He was promoted to first lieutenant in the U.S. Army before being killed in action at the age of 23 in Iraq on Memorial Day 2007 during Operation Iraqi Freedom.

“Š West was killed in action in Iraq while defending and protecting the freedoms and way of life of the citizens of the United States of America,” the resolution states.

Even in correspondence with Borrer regarding the resolution, HISD attorney Roger Hepworh wrote that working on the donation/naming resolution was uplifting.

“Thank you for letting me participate in this positive matter. So many of the things I work on are negative, and this gave me a very good feeling,” he wrote.

U.S. Army 1st Lt. Christopher Steighner, who was West's friend, remembered him for his keen skills.

“Kile was my best friend in the troop. He was our troop fire support officer and at the time I was the platoon leader for First Platoon. He was by far the best fire support officer in the squadron, far outdistancing his peers,” he wrote while serving in Iraq.

Story Link (www.taylordailypress.net/articles/2008/01/18/sports/news04.txt)