Adidas410s
01-18-2008, 09:44 AM
Bobby Fischer has passed away

http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/7690776

:(

Phil C
01-18-2008, 10:37 AM

Let's remember him for his great chess playing ability and not for the controversies that surrounded his life particularly in his later years. A great chess Champion. RIP Bobby.

Adidas410s
01-18-2008, 10:57 AM
I doubt we ever hear exactly how he died. For some reason I doubt it was something "normal" :(

westtxfballfan
01-18-2008, 12:04 PM
Good riddance.

From an AP article:

"He praised the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, saying America should be “wiped out,” and described Jews as “thieving, lying bastards.”

Fischer told reporters that he was finished with a chess world he regarded as corrupt, and sparred with U.S. journalists who asked about his anti-American tirades.

“The United States is evil. There’s this axis of evil. What about the allies of evil — the United States, England, Japan, Australia? These are the evildoers,” Fischer said."

crzyjournalist03
01-18-2008, 12:18 PM
weird man...I had never actually read anything about his life until today.

Txbroadcaster
01-18-2008, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Phil C

Let's remember him for his great chess playing ability and not for the controversies that surrounded his life particularly in his later years. A great chess Champion. RIP Bobby.

Sorry Phil but I will not simply "forget" his comments about his country and the fact he PRAISED the Sept 11 attacks.

Sweetwater Red
01-18-2008, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Sorry Phil but I will not simply "forget" his comments about his country and the fact he PRAISED the Sept 11 attacks.

It wasn't Bobby's fault. Society failed him.:rolleyes:

eagles_victory
01-18-2008, 12:31 PM
I have no respect for this guy i wont forget all the terrible things he said and did. Britney Spears is a definite victim of society this guy is just a lunatic who doesnt get any pity from me

Phil C
01-18-2008, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
I have no respect for this guy i wont forget all the terrible things he said and did. Britney Spears is a definite victim of society this guy is just a lunatic who doesnt get any pity from me

SHOW SOME COMPASSION! :mad:

Don't forget that the USSR had dominated chess from 1948 until 1972 and then Bobby got the world championship and there was much pride in the USA that was needed. Similar but to a smaller degree to the time we beat the USSR hockey team in 1980.

We must not forget the good people have done too.

Phil C
01-18-2008, 12:47 PM
Bobby Fischer wrote two great chess books called Bobby Fischer Teaches Chess and My 60 Best Games of Chess. The first one is great for beginners and teachers various checkmate exercises. Since the ultimate goal in chess is to checkmate your opponent I highly recommend this book to beginners. The second book is great too but probably for a little more advancement than the beginning level.

Sweetwater Red
01-18-2008, 12:53 PM

Don't forget that the USSR had dominated chess from 1948 until 1972 and then Bobby got the world championship and there was much pride in the USA that was needed. Similar but to a smaller degree to the time we beat the USSR hockey team in 1980.

We must not forget the good people have done too.

You're a mad man! The U.S. hockey team beating the
Soviet Union was of way more importance than anything Bobby
Fisher ever did in his entire life. Do you not remember the
Iranian hostage crisis?

Phil C
01-18-2008, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
You're a mad man! The U.S. hockey team beating the
Soviet Union was of way more importance than anything Bobby
Fisher ever did in his entire life. Do you not remember the
Iranian hostage crisis?

Yes I do. I also remember in 1972 we were about to conclude the Vietnam War that we lost.

Sweetwater Red
01-18-2008, 01:00 PM
Yes I do. I also remember in 1972 we were about to conclude the Vietnam War that we lost.

Excerpt from this link.

"The film wisely places the event in the context of its time, which included the Iran hostage crisis, the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan, and U.S. plans to boycott the 1980 Summer Games in Moscow".

http://video.barnesandnoble.com/search/product.asp?z=y&EAN=26359187520

Sweetwater Red
01-18-2008, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by westtxfballfan
Good riddance.

From an AP article:

"He praised the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, saying America should be “wiped out,” and described Jews as “thieving, lying bastards.”

Fischer told reporters that he was finished with a chess world he regarded as corrupt, and sparred with U.S. journalists who asked about his anti-American tirades.

“The United States is evil. There’s this axis of evil. What about the allies of evil — the United States, England, Japan, Australia? These are the evildoers,” Fischer said."

I just read an article on CNN's website. His mom was Jewish.:thinking:

Phil C
01-18-2008, 01:50 PM
He was the best player in the world for sure between 1969 to 1972. Unfortunately when he won the World Championship in 1972 he didn't play serious chess until about 20 years later and only for one match. A shame that all those years were lost in his prime.

Phil C
01-18-2008, 01:52 PM
In 1993 after many years as a recluse Fischer played a rematch with Spasky and won. The current champion then Garry Kasparov was at the match and Fischer was supposedly rude to him. Remember Fischer was then about 51 years old and past his prime. Kasparov remarked while Fischer was playing "There sits th is poor fellow with whom you cannot have a normal conversation. And what is more he plays poor chess."

S_Tex_3A_Fan
01-18-2008, 02:32 PM
I like games that you can drink beer while you play. Chess isn't one of those. It was cool that Bobby Fisg=her beat the REDS back in the day, but he is a lunatic and deserves to rott in HE!! for his anti democratic rants. May every soul that parished in the 9-11 attacks have a chance to kick him in the sack before he is sent to his eternal inferno.

ON A LIGHTER NOTE:

HEY YA"LL HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND STAY WARM AND DRY. I AM TAKING OF ADVANTAGE OF THE LAST REGULAR WEEKEND OF HUNTING SEASON.

eagles_victory
01-18-2008, 03:03 PM

We must not forget the good people have done too. lets praise OJ Simpson why were at it :rolleyes:

Phil C
01-18-2008, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
lets praise OJ Simpson why were at it :rolleyes:

And don't forget another distinguished USC graduate in Anabel Chong. :)

Sweetwater Red
01-18-2008, 03:19 PM
And don't forget another distinguished USC graduate in Anabel Chong. :)

God bless it Phil! Do you know what happened when I googled
that name to find out who it was? :eek:

I'm at work!:mad:

Adidas410s
01-18-2008, 03:40 PM

ROFLMAO!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Sweetwater Red
01-18-2008, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
ROFLMAO!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

I'm telling you. I didn't stick around long enough to find out if
she was an USC alumni. I think I just found out something about
Phil I would have rather not known. :thinking: :D

Adidas410s
01-18-2008, 03:49 PM
I'm telling you. I didn't stick around long enough to find out if
she was an USC alumni. I think I just found out something about
Phil I would have rather not known. :thinking: :D
You didn't hit the I'm feeling lucky" button on google did you??? :eek:

Sweetwater Red
01-18-2008, 04:01 PM
You didn't hit the I'm feeling lucky" button on google did you??? :eek:

No, I never use that one. I don't even know how it works.:thinking:

I feel safe if I google and it just pulls up the links. I'm just glad
no one was walking by.

Phil C
01-18-2008, 04:04 PM
Actually I didn't even know about Anabel Chong until it was mentioned by someone else on another web site which will of course remain annonomous.

On a serious note it seems that Fischer died from kidney failures. It had been rumored for several weeks that he had health problems.

Phantom Stang
01-18-2008, 04:06 PM

SHOW THE LADY SOME RESPECT!!:mad:

She holds a world record ya know!:D

Phil C
01-18-2008, 04:10 PM
The USA has indeed been unfortunate in several of it's best chess players. Besides Fischer that we are familiar with there was Paul Morphy who was the greatest player from 1858 to 1859 who beat the world's best chess players of that time but unfortunately like Fischer he gave up his chess career.
There is also Harry Nelson Pillsbury who was our best player from the 1890s to the 1906. He was also a great checker player and played other games. He would no doubt have challenged the then world champion had he taken care of his health but it was not meant to be.

Adidas410s
01-18-2008, 04:14 PM
what was with Fischer? He said the chess world was full of cheaters. What was he referring to?

Sweetwater Red
01-18-2008, 04:17 PM
what was with Fischer? He said the chess world was full of cheaters. What was he referring to?

From what I've been reading today, he seemed paranoid
about alot of things.

Old Tiger
01-18-2008, 04:20 PM
I can see how there would be anger between him and the US.

Sweetwater Red
01-18-2008, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Phantom Stang
SHOW THE LADY SOME RESPECT!!:mad:

She holds a world record ya know!:D

OMG! I hope you aren't talking about what I think you are.:thinking: :D

Sweetwater Red
01-18-2008, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
I can see how there would be anger between him and the US.

And this would be how.......????

Old Tiger
01-18-2008, 05:31 PM
And this would be how.......???? because i'm not a closed minded person

Sweetwater Red
01-18-2008, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
because i'm not a closed minded person

Here I thought you were going to give a logical point of view
that would be open for discussion.:rolleyes:

I guess I gave you to much credit. :doh:

Old Tiger
01-18-2008, 05:41 PM
Here I thought you were going to give a logical point of view
that would be open for discussion.:rolleyes:

I guess I gave you to much credit. :doh: Well since you asked...

The country he was born and raised in pretty much kicked him out because he played in a chess game, that he loved and spent countless hours practicing, against a guy from the Soviet Union for 3.5 million dollars. I would be pissed at the US also.

Phantom Stang
01-18-2008, 06:23 PM
OMG! I hope you aren't talking about what I think you are.:thinking: :D
I'll just say she used over twice as many men as there are on a chess board to set her "record":eek: :D

AP Panther Fan
01-18-2008, 09:57 PM

Who knows....but I did try to find the Will Ferrell (Spartan Cheerleader skit) about Bobby Fischer and I don't think it is out there...one of his funniest.

Bobby Fischer, where is he, I don't know, I don't know.....

Okay, you had to see it... ;)

JR2004
01-19-2008, 07:50 AM
You know I feel bad for anyone who honestly is going to miss this guy. Fischer was an extremely troubled human being who hated people of Jewish descent with every bone in his body. He was a hateful and rotten human being. I'm of German and Jewish descent (Dad's family is German and Mom's family is Jewish) so to have heard all the hateful statements he made over the years about Jewish people makes me feel no remorse at all for such a hateful soul.

This is just a small example from Wikipedia of how prejudiced this coward was. The oddity of the whole thing is that this tool was of Jewish descent.

<<Fischer, whose mother and probable biological father were both Jewish, made occasional hostile comments toward Jews from at least the early 1960s. From the 1980s, however, his hatred for Jews was a major theme of his public remarks. He denied the "Holocaust of the Jews," announced his desire to make "expos[ing] the Jews for the criminals they are... the murderers they are" his lifework, and argued that the United States is "a farce controlled by dirty, hook-nosed, circumcised Jew bastards.">>

There's a lot more statements like that out there that he made. The man hated America and he hated Jewish people. I won't miss someone like that at all.

Phil C
01-19-2008, 12:05 PM
Besides Pillsbury two other great chess players never got to be world champions.

One was the German Siegbert Tarrasch. In the early 1890s he was probably the strongest player in the world. Arrangements tried to be make to have him challenge the then champion Wilhelm Steinitz but Tarrasch who was a medical doctor put his practice first and they were unable to organize a match. Most experts think that Tarrasch would have won that match. When Emanual Lasker beat Steinitz for the world chess championship in 1894 Tarrasch was to take second place in the chess world. He played brilliant chess though and wrote some great books. He did play Lasker for the World Championship once but lost. He was past his prime then. He was highly respected. He passed away in 1934 and unfortunately his property that he worked hard was confiscated by the Nazis. He passed away in 1934 so he didn't become a victim of the concentration camps but still a sad end for him because he had lost his only son in WW2 and was proud that his son had died fighting for the fatherland.

Victor Korchnoi is considered by many the strongest chess player to never win the world championship. He played Antoly Karpov for the championship in 1978 and barely lost 5 - 4. Many think he may have lost because of the Soviet Union pressures. VIctor had defected from the USSR two years earlier and the USSR put outside pressure on him arresting his son and beating him in prison and letting him know what was going on. It must have been a great distraction and marred a great chess event and may have effected the outcome. Karpos was a great chess player and very popular but unfortunately this time he (perhaps no faulty of his own) remained silent about everything. It is also to the discredit of the International Chess Federation that they allowed the match to be played under these known conditions. Garry Kasparove was to defeat Karpov a few years later and he is probably the greatest chess player ever. I believe though had it been him in 1978 he would have protested the conditions of the match being played in these conditions. He never has been afraid to speak his mind and speak what he feels is right. Too bad Karpos and the International Chess Federation didn't do the same in 1978.