PDA

View Full Version : Sealy - Bellville Score?

Pudlugger
11-08-2002, 11:28 PM
What's up in D23? I heard Columbus beat Navasota big. Anybody have the Sealy score? :cool:

travis
11-09-2002, 01:31 AM
Bellville beat Sealy 38-13, so they are 5-0 district champions and will play Giddings next week.

Columbus beat Navasota 31-7 so Columbus, Navasota, and Sealy are all 3-2. Since Columbus beat Navasota by more than 17 points these three teams had coin flips to determine 2nd and 3rd.

Columbus won a coin flip and is the 2nd place team and will play La Grange in the first round, Navasota also won and is the 3rd place team and is the D1 representative, and will play Elgin next week. Sealy lost both coin flips and is the 4th place team and not in the playoffs.

1st Bellville (D2)
2nd Columbus (D2)
3rd Navasota (D1)

Im pretty sure this is all correct, I have heard from several different sources, sorry if Im wrong on something.

Bellville22
11-09-2002, 01:44 AM
That info is correct! Bellville woke up after a semi-slow start and showed their A-game. 38-13. Sealy is not in the playoffs, which is pretty shocking. That's a pretty decent football team going home, but that's the beauty of the Friday Night Lights, anything can happen.

Congrats Columbus on clawing your way in there. Their game vs. LaGrange may be better than everyone expects. C-town has a great run defense and may match up fairly well against the Leps.

Good Luck to everyone in the money games.

FormerBellvilleBrahma
11-09-2002, 01:54 AM
You are correct, Bellville 1st D2 5-0 GIDDINGS
Columbus 2nd D2 3-2 LA GRANGE
Navasota 3rd D1 3-2 Elgin

Sealy 4th 3-2 Stay Home!

Way to go Bellville Brahmas, you played a good game, Im surprised you didnt score more points on the Tigers, you guys really made it look easy tonight! Good Luck!

Pudlugger
11-09-2002, 08:36 AM
Wow, I din't realize it went to a three way coin flip. I thought Navasota was out due to the point spread of 17. Tough news for Sealy. Great game Bellville. Columbus is playing good football, it should be a good game for an openner. :)

Tiger Turtle
11-10-2002, 05:30 AM
Congrats to the Brahmas - they dominated Sealy in every phase of the game and should do pretty well in the playoffs. They have a real nice passing game which is a big factor in the later rounds. Columbus, Navasota and Sealy are all pretty evenly matched, witness the Navasota over Sealy, Sealy over Columbus, Columbus over Navasota head scratcher. Good luck to all the 23AAA teams in the playoffs. Maybe we can find some heart and a new DC over the summer.

Pudlugger
11-10-2002, 07:00 AM
Tiger Turtle:
Congrats to the Brahmas - they dominated Sealy in every phase of the game and should do pretty well in the playoffs. They have a real nice passing game which is a big factor in the later rounds. Columbus, Navasota and Sealy are all pretty evenly matched, witness the Navasota over Sealy, Sealy over Columbus, Columbus over Navasota head scratcher. Good luck to all the 23AAA teams in the playoffs. Maybe we can find some heart and a new DC over the summer.</strong>
TigerTurtle, I'm sorry that your Tigers had to lose out on going to the playoffs due to a toss of the coin! It is a shame a quality team like Sealy, 7- 3 record and athletes like Andrus and Williams will not be able to compete. I believe the rule needs to be looked at, perhaps taking the overall records into account in cases of ties. Another change might be to require a playoff team to win at least half of their games. This might result in schools refusing to play tough teams in predistrict though, and that would be another problem for traditional powerhouses like Sealy. Sealy gave the Leps one of their toughest matches this year and a rematch would have been good for both teams. Anyway, you are more than welcome to cheer on the Leps if you are so inclined (district loyalties not withstanding!), we will need all the support we can muster with a tough regional draw coming up. I'm confident Sealy will be back in the running next year. frown

<small>[ November 10, 2002, 06:08 AM: Message edited by: Pudlugger ]</small>

fullhouse
11-11-2002, 11:30 AM
Tiger Turtle:
Congrats to the Brahmas - they dominated Sealy in every phase of the game and should do pretty well in the playoffs. They have a real nice passing game which is a big factor in the later rounds. Columbus, Navasota and Sealy are all pretty evenly matched, witness the Navasota over Sealy, Sealy over Columbus, Columbus over Navasota head scratcher. Good luck to all the 23AAA teams in the playoffs. Maybe we can find some heart and a new DC over the summer.Turtle ~ I'm totally confused on your last comment..... Sealy's defense finished #1 in the District, giving up just over 200 yards per game. Have you not kept up with the stats? How do you improve on that? In addition to that, isn't the DC the dad of your QB, punter and kicker?

<small>[ November 11, 2002, 10:55 AM: Message edited by: fullhouse ]</small>

Tiger Turtle
11-11-2002, 12:28 PM
Don't misunderstand - Coach Brantley is a great guy who works his ass off and cares deeply about the kids and Tiger football. That being said, he didn't come to Sealy to be DC, he got pressed into service due to unexpected resignations following TJ's departure. Too many times this season, particularly against Bellville, opposing teams deployed 4 or 5 wides and we failed to match up with all of them. Bellville's QB was the only one we played that recognized the situation and capitalized on it. Our defensive scheme is great against the run and relatively weak against the pass (kind of like A&M's). Most teams in our district didn't have much passing game and we were able to blitz them enough to be successful. That being said, I think we need a DC that is more experienced. Coach Brantley has improved every year, but in my largely uneducated opinion he has a ways to go. With respect to his son being our QB - he struggled all year adjusting to a new position (he played an excellent TE last year) and I don't think he fits well into our offensive scheme, which relies heavily on the option game and the QB being quick enough to get around the corner to block on the outside pitch. Maybe another year will make a big difference. His kicking suffered this year as well ( he punted well late in the season) and I suspect the position change may have something to do with this as well. All this drivel is just opinion (born out of frustration?) from a longtime Sealy booster who admires the monster effort put in by all of the coaching staff.

fullhouse
11-12-2002, 11:48 AM
Tiger Turtle:
Don't misunderstand - Coach Brantley is a great guy who works his ass off and cares deeply about the kids and Tiger football. That being said, he didn't come to Sealy to be DC, he got pressed into service due to unexpected resignations following TJ's departure. Too many times this season, particularly against Bellville, opposing teams deployed 4 or 5 wides and we failed to match up with all of them. Bellville's QB was the only one we played that recognized the situation and capitalized on it. Our defensive scheme is great against the run and relatively weak against the pass (kind of like A&M's). Most teams in our district didn't have much passing game and we were able to blitz them enough to be successful. That being said, I think we need a DC that is more experienced. Coach Brantley has improved every year, but in my largely uneducated opinion he has a ways to go. With respect to his son being our QB - he struggled all year adjusting to a new position (he played an excellent TE last year) and I don't think he fits well into our offensive scheme, which relies heavily on the option game and the QB being quick enough to get around the corner to block on the outside pitch. Maybe another year will make a big difference. His kicking suffered this year as well ( he punted well late in the season) and I suspect the position change may have something to do with this as well. All this drivel is just opinion (born out of frustration?) from a longtime Sealy booster who admires the monster effort put in by all of the coaching staff.Ohhhh, okay... I'm with ya now. Yeah, given that - it's a good thing that these two are kin - you can knock out two birds with one stone there. I am the one lacking knowledge, I'm sure. If I were looking to pin point where the Tigers are hurting, I would have never thought to look at the areas where they are LEADING the District. We have 4 areas to be concerned with then - they had the #1 defense, they were #1 in punting (up from the #2 spot last year)(these two can be taken care of by bringing in a new DC), they were #1 in punt returns (Carl Palmer - no problem there, he's a senior), now the last area we need to work on is Andrus - he's #1 in rushing and only a junior - uh oh.

You know, I bet those defensive coaches didn't even know those 4 and 5 wides were out there. They probably didn't even practice on defending that at all those weeks - probably didn't even watch game film to look for tendencies. They should have assumed that if those guys were out there, then a pass play is coming, right? No way would the other team put those guys out there to try and throw us off and run, huh?

I was also under the impression that the QB has played the QB position 3 of the 4 years he's played - the adjustment to the new position was last year at Tight End. I think those two Jr. High years were near perfect or perfect seasons. I'm sure he did get behind by missing that year of taking snaps and passing. Playing with a broken rib may have been a factor too. I thought his kicking improved - the extra points were almost automatic. From what I can remember from last year - they weren't very consistent.

Just more drivel from another uneducated, frustrated Tiger fan..... I, too, had hoped we would still be playing, but I don't share your feelings about replacing personnel.... I prefer to focus on all of the talent we have returning and support the great coaching staff we already have.

We lost to a VERY good team and missed out on going to the playoffs by a coin flip - sad, but true.

Tiger Turtle
11-12-2002, 12:21 PM
Leading the district in stats is not a whole lot of consolation when you're sitting home during week 11. I know the coaching staff has scouted the other teams - but my season tickets are right below the press box window where the defensive coaches sit and they sure seemed to be excited about not having any dbs lined up on the other guys' wrs. I don't remember that happening under Dan Walling. I am not knocking Coach B's efforts, I am trying to be objective after watching the last 150 or so games played by Tiger teams. For the record, he has always been much more friendly to me than my importance to the program would ever warrant. I have always enjoyed discussing things with him after the games. (FYI - I understand the staff is already discussing slotting Justin back at TE next year.) If you think everything is fine with the program, I sincerely hope you are right. I don't see any fire or confidence in the team. The kids on the team that I am close to seem to have the attitude "..the paper says we are going to lose, so why bother?" If they had played Bellville with the same determination they had at Columbus, I think we might have won. Instead, we make one good drive and that's it. Same thing at Navasota. Maybe we just don't have the talent to compete at the level we used to expect. If you can't get kids from Sealy up to play Bellville, something is missing. Coach had them running timed 40's yesterday. He told me he needs to get our players to run track but he is having a tough time.

fullhouse
11-12-2002, 02:40 PM
CHECK YOUR PM TURTLE

Talk_To_The_Paw
11-13-2002, 11:54 PM
Having the #1 defense in the district is an accomplishment that Sealy's coaches should be commended on. I think their Defensive Coordinator did an excellent job with this group of kids, and the notion, as it has been suggested on a previous post, that he needs to be replaced, is crazy. As for his son, he is not just another kid who is starting because his dad is a coach. He has alot of talent for a 10th grader and deserves to be a starter on Varsity. He can only get better! And his punting this year was excellent in my opinion. One of his punts in the Bellville game put the ball at the two yard line. He did that consistently this year and I have reason to believe that next year he will be even better.

FormerBellvilleBrahma
11-14-2002, 04:37 PM
Hey Paw I agree Sealy had a good team this year, just did not get the breaks, I know the Tigers are better than some of the teams in the play-offs. This year the district was really good. The Tiger coaching staff is fine, its not like they lost a lot of games, Hell yall were 7-3, there are teams that are 3-7, in the play-offs, and the fans are still mad at the coaching staffs. Good luck! Hope to see some Tiger fans at Tomball friday night!! GO 23-AAA!!!!