PDA

View Full Version : Aggie alum says that Tech owns A&M on the Ticket

Adidas410s
01-17-2008, 03:51 PM
Taken from another site. I missed most of the rant...here's a recap:

On the Ticket, the local a&m spokesman Tom Gribble (producer of BaD Radio) just spent about 5 minutes (a full segment) talking about how he is finally admitting that Tech owns A&M. He applauded Tech, acknowledged that we are a rival, and for whatever reason, we own them. Bob Sturm then stepped in and said:

Is it possible, that if you stripped away the uniforms, the tradition, the football field, etc. that Tech is just as talented, if not more?

Tom wouldn't go that far, but he didn't totally dismiss it, either. He reverted back to the ranking services historically proclaim a&m's talent to be better than Techs (this is why stars are important). Anyway, I sat back in my chair and just basked in the greatness that was complete and utter aggy defeat. Today has been a good day!

oh...and btw...Gribble was a Yell Leader at A&M!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

NastySlot
01-17-2008, 04:04 PM
I've felt that way for a while now....but you know it goes in cycles while I was A&M.....Tech could only beat us in women's hoops...I have a few more years left live....so I'm sure I see the tide turn.

LH Panther Mom
01-17-2008, 04:37 PM
He reverted back to the ranking services historically proclaim a&m's talent to be better than Techs (this is why stars are important).

:thinking: :thinking: All that "talent" and still can't win. :devil:

eagles_victory
01-17-2008, 04:41 PM
who cares if an Aggie admitts it everyone has pretty much known it for a while now

Txbroadcaster
01-17-2008, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
who cares if an Aggie admitts it everyone has pretty much known it for a while now

yep..but is so funny to me how Aggie fans get mad when Texas fans say OU is a bigger rival, yet try to deny that Tech is a rival at all

buff4life
01-17-2008, 06:49 PM
Tech really isn't that much of a rival...and I'm at UT i think i mihgt have an idea they are more of a rival than say Kansas due to the fact they're from Texas and there is bad blood, but to call them a true rival is different

eagles_victory
01-17-2008, 06:59 PM
Texas, Texas A&M, and Texas Tech all hate each other because it is always a constant battle between the 3 of them. If Baylor was more competitive they would be in this as well

HippoBaseball05
01-17-2008, 07:12 PM
Too bad tceh doesn't own any outright football championships.

Maybe they should petition the Texas Legislature to count the A&M as a championship of some sort.

Adidas410s
01-17-2008, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by HippoBaseball05
Too bad tceh doesn't own any outright football championships.

Maybe they should petition the Texas Legislature to count the A&M as a championship of some sort.
A&M doesn't either! ;)

Adidas410s
01-17-2008, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
Texas, Texas A&M, and Texas Tech all hate each other because it is always a constant battle between the 3 of them. If Baylor was more competitive they would be in this as well
Texas vs Texas Tech...the friendliest rivalry in America! :)

Matthew328
01-17-2008, 07:33 PM
Gribble sounded so defeated to.....LOL greatness

JHS_c/o_06'
01-17-2008, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
A&M doesn't either! ;)

yes they do

but it was back when everyone thought automobiles would never catch on, people parted their hair from left to right and nobody cared.

Adidas410s
01-17-2008, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by JHS_c/o_06'
yes they do

but it was back when everyone thought automobiles would never catch on, people parted their hair from left to right and nobody cared.
no...one of the reporting agenices named USC the national champs in 1939!!! ;);)

iknoweverything
01-17-2008, 09:01 PM
no...one of the reporting agenices named USC the national champs in 1939!!! ;);)

usc did split it with them in 39.

oh yeah, and bob knight won his 900th game last night fyi

navscanmaster
01-18-2008, 02:54 AM
You know, I have been a loyal Aggie fan since I could comprehend football and what Aggies were. But I have come to realize that in this millenium, Tech does just flat out own us. Sure, they have beat us in everything only the last year and so far this year, but after all, people only really take football results into account in making these decisions.
I have a small theory in this: Maybe the above posters were right, and A&M thinks Tech is "little sister" and they don't think them to be a serious rival of any kind. I mean, they have beaten Texas the last few years, and fared well in other sports against Texas, so why should the 12th man care about Tech? A&M not taking Tech seriously is killing them. I mean, a division one program that is getting owned in every sport by a much smaller institution that is not as ingrained in history as A&M makes them the laughing stock of the entire state. "You mean you can beat the mighty longhorns, but you can't handle the red raiders?"

I don't think A&M needs to do away with the whole "tradition" thing they have going, but some changes in attitude (I know personally many alumni and fans have a real stuck up attitude toward people that aren't aggies) and maybe a cool new uniform would jump start something. Aggies got a great coach in Football now, a highly rejuvinated mens/womens basketball program, and they can blow up in baseball at anytime, not to mention the soccer teams perenial greatness. It is time to change the perception about A&M for sure if nothing else.

End Rant.

big daddy russ
01-18-2008, 04:52 AM
Texas vs Texas Tech...the friendliest rivalry in America! :)
As friendly as Paris/Lindsey, Calvin Murphy/Scott VanPelt, and Pacers/Pistons fans.

Adidas410s
01-18-2008, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
As friendly as Paris/Lindsey, Calvin Murphy/Scott VanPelt, and Pacers/Pistons fans.
You must have a different experience than I. Yes the week we play in football there is the typical banter between rivals...but other than that you don't hear it. Tech fans despise A&M and OU more...and only despise Texas when they're playing them.

Hill Man
01-18-2008, 10:08 AM
Tech fans despise A&M and OU more...and only despise Texas when they're playing them.

Depends on what Tech fan you ask… As a Tech alum I can tell you I enjoy beating the aggies way more than MOST other teams, however in my opinion tu is the HATED enemy to Tech alums… For instance as a student there in the late 70s we left the scoreboard lit for a week after beating the bovines.. I do not recall ever doing that after beating the aggies.. yes we can throw a goal post at them but left it at that….
I have many Tech friends that I graduated with that feel the same, we NEVER pull for tu when they play other schools. The only time I would rather they don’t lose is when they play ou but what I am looking for there is a tie with mass injuries, I am not pulling for ou. Unfortunately, in this day of overtime play a tie will not happen…The last tie I believe was in 76… those were the days….

I tolerate the ags as if I would tolerate an annoying cousin who you can beat the crap out of and sometimes he gets his shots in but then we can sit at the table as family a couple times a year.
The tea sippers are in my nicest opinion are just those people who think way too much of themselves.

themsu97
01-18-2008, 10:38 AM
and we care why?

Parity is a good thing... ATM loses to Tech, Tech loses to Texas and ATM beats Texas... that is how the state football should go... the only thing that makes it better is when all 3 beat OU

Adidas410s
01-18-2008, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by Hill Man
Depends on what Tech fan you ask… As a Tech alum I can tell you I enjoy beating the aggies way more than MOST other teams, however in my opinion tu is the HATED enemy to Tech alums… For instance as a student there in the late 70s we left the scoreboard lit for a week after beating the bovines.. I do not recall ever doing that after beating the aggies.. yes we can throw a goal post at them but left it at that….
I have many Tech friends that I graduated with that feel the same, we NEVER pull for tu when they play other schools. The only time I would rather they don’t lose is when they play ou but what I am looking for there is a tie with mass injuries, I am not pulling for ou. Unfortunately, in this day of overtime play a tie will not happen…The last tie I believe was in 76… those were the days….

I tolerate the ags as if I would tolerate an annoying cousin who you can beat the crap out of and sometimes he gets his shots in but then we can sit at the table as family a couple times a year.
The tea sippers are in my nicest opinion are just those people who think way too much of themselves.
I think one of the differences between UT and A&M is that Tech has never tried to claim "we're better than Texas" but is typically neck and neck with A&M over who's 2nd best. Most Tech fans will never admit it...but there is some begrudging respect for Texas. They don't like Texas...hate it when Texas wins and the bandwagons come rolling into town (thank you t-shirt fans)...but you just accept it and move on.

That said, I think the perception of the universities has changed somewhat from generation to generation. My dad (TT class of 74) will go on and on about how Tech will never get the respect from the pollsters compared to Texas. He points to 1973 when Tech went 11-1 and beat Tennessee in the Gator Bowl and STILL finished behind Texas (who went 8-3, lost by 49 to OU, final rank of 8) in the polls.

big daddy russ
01-18-2008, 01:52 PM
You must have a different experience than I. Yes the week we play in football there is the typical banter between rivals...but other than that you don't hear it. Tech fans despise A&M and OU more...and only despise Texas when they're playing them.
I've been to Lubbock for Tech/A&M games twice and been in College Station for two games. Here are my two experiences in the LBK:

1.) In 2003, we (my now-fiance, a couple of her chick friends from A&M and my roomie.... who was a girl.... along with Amanda's best friend from Tech, one of my buddies from Tech, and another Tech girl) were walking outside stadium when I see something fly over my head. I turn to look. It starts spewing. No sooner do I realize that it was a full beer can than I get a sharp pain in the back of my head where my skull meets my neck. It was a battery.

I turned around expecting to kick some drunk bastard's rear only to find 30-40 drunk bastards laughing outside a tailgate, saying things to our Tech friends and female friends that I wouldn't say to a prostititute. My Tech buddy held me back, pointing out that there were only two guys in the group and that we wanted to keep the girls safe, so I just dried the blood and went on my merry way.

There were tons more similar instances that weekend, but none that hurt that bad.

2.) This year, I refused to let Amanda go. It was my brother and I along with my bro's roommate and one of the student trainers. We all carpooled and separated into three groups when we got there. My bro and I met up with our cousin and one of my old roomies in CS who lives up there. My cuz is probably 6'1," 210 lbs, and my old roomie is 6'4," 250, so we were ready this go-round. And nothing happened to us outside of the normal taunting, etc. And I love that stuff. I even had a guy come up to me and welcome me to LBK at the game, saying that he was just trying to spread a little class to his friends from CS.

But the student trainer went to a bar with all of his friends and cousins that Friday, was tapped on the shoulder and cold-cocked by someone he had never seen or talked to before. While he was laying there unconscious, the Tech fan (as recounted to him by his friends) was standing over him, talking mess because he was an Aggie. He stopped pretty quick when that guy's Techie cousin laid one square in his jaw. He ran away and was exposed as a little female dog.

Brad's roommate had stuff thrown at him and was even walking with a couple of older guys (retired) wearing A&M gear who had stuff thrown at them. Was also pushed around.

In CS, I've had tons of mess talked by Tech fans. Even got into something I guess you'd call a fight at Northgate. Drunk piece of junk gave me a cheap shot when I wasn't looking. But he was so drunk he couldn't throw a decent punch and I unloaded a couple on him before he ran away to a crowd of friends who were talking mess to me and one other guy, but wouldn't do anything.

So yeah, this is the least-friendly rivalry A&M has. And no matter what any Aggies say, it's a huge rivalry.

Old Tiger
01-18-2008, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by navscanmaster
You know, I have been a loyal Aggie fan since I could comprehend football So you only been an Aggie Fan for 2 years? :p:D

Adidas410s
01-18-2008, 02:02 PM
I've been to Lubbock for Tech/A&M games twice and been in College Station for two games. Here are my two experiences in the LBK:

1.) In 2003, we (my now-fiance, a couple of her chick friends from A&M and my roomie.... who was a girl.... along with Amanda's best friend from Tech, one of my buddies from Tech, and another Tech girl) were walking outside stadium when I see something fly over my head. I turn to look. It starts spewing. No sooner do I realize that it was a full beer can than I get a sharp pain in the back of my head where my skull meets my neck. It was a battery.

I turned around expecting to kick some drunk bastard's rear only to find 30-40 drunk bastards laughing outside a tailgate, saying things to our Tech friends and female friends that I wouldn't say to a prostititute. My Tech buddy held me back, pointing out that there were only two guys in the group and that we wanted to keep the girls safe, so I just dried the blood and went on my merry way.

There were tons more similar instances that weekend, but none that hurt that bad.

2.) This year, I refused to let Amanda go. It was my brother and I along with my bro's roommate and one of the student trainers. We all carpooled and separated into three groups when we got there. My bro and I met up with our cousin and one of my old roomies in CS who lives up there. My cuz is probably 6'1," 210 lbs, and my old roomie is 6'4," 250, so we were ready this go-round. And nothing happened to us outside of the normal taunting, etc. And I love that stuff. I even had a guy come up to me and welcome me to LBK at the game, saying that he was just trying to spread a little class to his friends from CS.

But the student trainer went to a bar with all of his friends and cousins that Friday, was tapped on the shoulder and cold-cocked by someone he had never seen or talked to before. While he was laying there unconscious, the Tech fan (as recounted to him by his friends) was standing over him, talking mess because he was an Aggie. He stopped pretty quick when that guy's Techie cousin laid one square in his jaw. He ran away and was exposed as a little female dog.

Brad's roommate had stuff thrown at him and was even walking with a couple of older guys (retired) wearing A&M gear who had stuff thrown at them. Was also pushed around.

In CS, I've had tons of mess talked by Tech fans. Even got into something I guess you'd call a fight at Northgate. Drunk piece of junk gave me a cheap shot when I wasn't looking. But he was so drunk he couldn't throw a decent punch and I unloaded a couple on him before he ran away to a crowd of friends who were talking mess to me and one other guy, but wouldn't do anything.

So yeah, this is the least-friendly rivalry A&M has. And no matter what any Aggies say, it's a huge rivalry.
Yeah...go to enough Tech/A&M games...regardless of where they're played...and you'll see plenty good and bad. This year was pretty good at the tailgating areas after the game other than the usual verbal taunting...last year most people were in shock walking to their cars (both Tech and A&M people) at the end of the game...the other two I've attended (02 in CS and 05 in Lbk) weren't near as "nice" as they were this year. Not to say that you couldn't find trouble this year...but in my experience it wasn't nearly as widespread as it had been. However...we still had to calm down our Aggie friend with us. He's an ex-marine that served two tours in Iraq before heading back to A&M to finish his degree...and sometimes the slightest things can set him off...and if not for a large supply of Coronas the verbal jabs back and forth amongst fans probably would have.

Adidas410s
01-18-2008, 02:03 PM
oh and to clarify Russ...I was saying the UT and Tech rivalry is friendly...not the Tech and A&M rivalry. Just wanted to make sure that was clear based on what you quoted and then wrote!

Sweetwater Red
01-18-2008, 02:06 PM
Question for both you guys. I've never been to a college
football game. Do they not have sufficient security at these
games?

big daddy russ
01-18-2008, 02:45 PM
oh and to clarify Russ...I was saying the UT and Tech rivalry is friendly...not the Tech and A&M rivalry. Just wanted to make sure that was clear based on what you quoted and then wrote!
Gotcha. I was thinking Tech/TAMU.

Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
Question for both you guys. I've never been to a college
football game. Do they not have sufficient security at these
games?
They have it at the football games, but it's so hard to control all of the outlying areas, especially with the number of people who attend. Jones holds what, 60k or so? Kyle holds around 87k? And you have tons more people (I'd throw out a guess 10k-20k extra people in LBK, 5k in College Station) who just come and tailgate and watch the game from TV's they have set up in the parking lot.

It's not at all out of the question for there to be 100k people at a football game.

Sweetwater Red
01-18-2008, 03:00 PM

They have it at the football games, but it's so hard to control all of the outlying areas, especially with the number of people who attend. Jones holds what, 60k or so? Kyle holds around 87k? And you have tons more people (I'd throw out a guess 10k-20k extra people in LBK, 5k in College Station) who just come and tailgate and watch the game from TV's they have set up in the parking lot.

It's not at all out of the question for there to be 100k people at a football game.

I'll just have to remember to wear a plain white t-shirt and jeans
if I ever get the chance to go to a game.:thinking:

Adidas410s
01-18-2008, 03:37 PM

Yeah...Lubbock does a VERY good job with security at games. It seems that they bring in every DPS officer within a 500 mile radius when A&M, OU, or Texas is in town to keep things orderly.

However, as Russ mentioned...the problem is that there are SO many outlying areas for people to tailgate. I've been to 7 or 8 games at A&M and we've never been in the same parking area. We've parked at apartments to the south, up in northgate, by the tennis courts, under the shade of the alumni stands (thanks to a friend), etc. People come from so many different directions that it's all but impossible to control the crowds.

A quick mental count has 12 or 13 lots that Tech sells parking passes for to season ticket holders. Beyond that you have people that park along 4th street, across the streets at various restaurants, bars, etc, and many those that take the bus over from the USA. It's a logistics nightmare trying to figure out how to control crowds in that many directions.

navscanmaster
01-18-2008, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
So you only been an Aggie Fan for 2 years? :p:D

Tried to bury a cheap shot in there huh? FYI, time on the downlow is not indicative of football comprehension shorty.:p :rolleyes: