PDA

View Full Version : Sources: Garrett turning down head coaching jobs to stay with Cowboys

Txbroadcaster
01-17-2008, 10:25 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3200822

Sweetwater Red
01-17-2008, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3200822

Apparently, Jerry Jones made him an offer he couldn't refuse.:D

crzyjournalist03
01-17-2008, 10:39 AM
and there was much rejoicing...:D

Macarthur
01-17-2008, 10:47 AM
Frankly, I think it's a smart move by him. Just jumping to a HC job just to get a HC job is not the thing to do. What he appears to be doing is making sure it's a situation he can be successful. And I just don't believe Balt is that right now. It's all about the QB and they do not have one.

Txbroadcaster
01-17-2008, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by Macarthur
Frankly, I think it's a smart move by him. Just jumping to a HC job just to get a HC job is not the thing to do. What he appears to be doing is making sure it's a situation he can be successful. And I just don't believe Balt is that right now. It's all about the QB and they do not have one.

I honestly think Jones has told him he will be the next HC for Dallas..I have never seen Phillips as more than a two year guy

crzyjournalist03
01-17-2008, 10:53 AM
I honestly think Jones has told him he will be the next HC for Dallas..I have never seen Phillips as more than a two year guy

add to that the fact that the Cowboys went 13-3 this year and Phillips made himself look like an idiot in the end-of-season press conference, and he's basically put himself in position where if he doesn't win the Super Bowl next year, everybody will think there's plenty good reason to fire him.

Not a good position to put yourself in as a head coach.

setxsports
01-17-2008, 10:55 AM
:cool:

kaorder1999
01-17-2008, 11:13 AM
my t hought is you sell high and buy low. After a great season in his first year as an OC it would be tough NOT to take a head coaching job if offered. Something happens and they win 7-8 games next year and the offense doesnt produce then hes in a bad position. Jerry HAD to promise him the job to stay. If he hadn't he would be long gone. Rooney Rule makes it to where Jerry cannot make that public if in fact he has done that.

Macarthur
01-17-2008, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
my t hought is you sell high and buy low. After a great season in his first year as an OC it would be tough NOT to take a head coaching job if offered. Something happens and they win 7-8 games next year and the offense doesnt produce then hes in a bad position. Jerry HAD to promise him the job to stay. If he hadn't he would be long gone. Rooney Rule makes it to where Jerry cannot make that public if in fact he has done that.

I think with his age, it's reasonable for him to think he will have more opportunities.

Look, the NFL is about the QB position. He would be better off staying here where he has a good QB than going to a QB black hole. Look what happened to Cam Cameron. The worst thing he could have done was take one of those jobs and gone 4-12 for a couple of years.

Txbroadcaster
01-17-2008, 11:33 AM
I think with his age, it's reasonable for him to think he will have more opportunities.

Look, the NFL is about the QB position. He would be better off staying here where he has a good QB than going to a QB black hole. Look what happened to Cam Cameron. The worst thing he could have done was take one of those jobs and gone 4-12 for a couple of years.

But Cam Cameron will land on his feet as a OC somewhere..in fact Garrett was going to take him to Baltimore as a OC

32 HC jobs...IMO you dont turn them down to many times before your no longer the rising star

His age IMO made him taking a HC more probable..if he fails, fine he is young enough to rebuild his name as OC and make another run

I just dont think he decided to stay without some type of deal saying he is the next Cowboy coach

kaorder1999
01-17-2008, 11:36 AM
But Cam Cameron will land on his feet as a OC somewhere..in fact Garrett was going to take him to Baltimore as a OC

32 HC jobs...IMO you dont turn them down to many times before your no longer the rising star

His age IMO made him taking a HC more probable..if he fails, fine he is young enough to rebuild his name as OC and make another run

I just dont think he decided to stay without some type of deal saying he is the next Cowboy coach

I AGREE TOTALLY!

kaorder1999
01-17-2008, 11:37 AM
Look at what happened to Zimmer....He was talked into staying and not taking head coaching jobs and he might not ever get that chance again

Macarthur
01-17-2008, 11:53 AM

Oh, that may very well be the case with Jerry.

However, I just disagree that you should take a HC job no matter what. If it's not a good situation you will fail. Why is that a good thing?

kaorder1999
01-17-2008, 11:55 AM

However, I just disagree that you should take a HC job no matter what. If it's not a good situation you will fail. Why is that a good thing?

it just really depends on how bad you want to be a head coach. Zimmer cant get interviews now. At one time he was Jason Garrett and on a lot of teams radars but now he has to settle for a DC job in Cincy....

Txbroadcaster
01-17-2008, 12:05 PM

Because if a coach fails because he was in a bad situation other football people understand and accept that most of the problem was not because of the coach, but the situation itself.

One of the main reasons Norv Turner was given a THIRD shot was his first two places were in situations that people see as not being in the control of the coach and so he has twice been given a pass for not being doing a great job as HC, but being a real good OC

kaorder1999
01-17-2008, 12:54 PM
Why are they holding a press conference to announce he's staying? It's not like Jerry Jones can say he told Garrett that if he stayed he would be the next head coach.

Macarthur
01-17-2008, 12:55 PM
Because if a coach fails because he was in a bad situation other football people understand and accept that most of the problem was not because of the coach, but the situation itself.

One of the main reasons Norv Turner was given a THIRD shot was his first two places were in situations that people see as not being in the control of the coach and so he has twice been given a pass for not being doing a great job as HC, but being a real good OC

But that cuts both ways. Let's say Romo blows out his knee next year in the first game. Surely, if the offense struggles, "football people" would understand?

Again, look at Balt vs. Dallas

Wouldn't we all agree it's about the QB. I think it's a pretty safe bet that Garrett and Romo are going to have another great year statistically next year? The team, as a whole, is very talented with 2 first round picks. The Cowboys arrow is very strongly pointing upward. I just think Garrett is in a situation where his value is probably only going to go up. IF he goes to Balt and goes 4-12 and 5-11, what has he done for himself?

crzyjournalist03
01-17-2008, 01:50 PM
my guess is just so that speculation will come to a halt if any other head coaching openings (Indy?) come open.

Mace Griffin
01-17-2008, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
my guess is just so that speculation will come to a halt if any other head coaching openings (Indy?) come open. Looks like Caldwell the associate head coch I believe he is will get the Indy job if Dungy leaves. He was in applicant for the Atlanta job but pulled his name out yesterday. Does it seem to anyone else just it is almost a forgone conclusion the Dungy is leaving Indy?

crzyjournalist03
01-17-2008, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by Mace Griffin
Looks like Caldwell the associate head coch I believe he is will get the Indy job if Dungy leaves. He was in applicant for the Atlanta job but pulled his name out yesterday. Does it seem to anyone else just it is almost a forgone conclusion the Dungy is leaving Indy?

I don't think it is...I believe him when he says he could go either way. He's never been known to lie about anything before.